Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If you value your personal well-being at all do not go nuke. No one here is exaggerating. It will be the worst mistake of your life. If you ignore everyone and go nuke anyway please bookmark this post so in a couple years you can punch yourself in the balls repeatedly for how stupid you were for not listening to the best advice you've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

He is. He's an HT.

edit:

I'm already signed with the navy, as of last well Friday. And I'm sure everyone would've been confused as hell if I'd decided to go with the marines. For some reason, getting a 99 on your ASVAB makes people rather enthusiastic about getting you into stuff like nuke.

I too, scored high on the asvab. They the nuke recruiter guy at MEPS trotted out, dangled 100,000 dollars in front of my face and did a dance.

I told him gently caress no, because I'm not a retard with a retarded HT shittter fixer as a brother giving me awful advice.

Edit: who was the last guy to go nuke in the thread? Didn't he come back a few months later hating everything?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
AECF is a pretty decent gig as far as enlisted jobs go.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Join the merchant marine get your stcw come work under me on the Slavic Crime Yacht

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Billzasilver you should have gotten an email from me.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

ET is loving rad. I wouldn't have picked any other job looking back.

FC sucked in a lot of ways compared to ET, but high explosives and a lot of compartment space.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Laranzu posted:

I too, scored high on the asvab. They the nuke recruiter guy at MEPS trotted out, dangled 100,000 dollars in front of my face and did a dance.

What people need to realize (before signing their name) is that if there's a huge amount of money being thrown at people for taking Job X, it's because Job X is loving horrible for one reason or another.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

What people need to realize (before signing their name) is that if there's a huge amount of money being thrown at people for taking Job X, it's because Job X is loving horrible for one reason or another.

Like being a pilot.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Saw 40+ posts and thought, "someone must want to be a nuke again."

Was not disappointed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MML's real time facial expression as he cracked open the thread

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also, the thread response when dude says he wants to be a nuke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07zYvkNYL8

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Also if you go ET, your life will be this video on loop. Probably applies to a bunch of other jobs too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtRNg5uSKQ0

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Eh, I trust that y'all do know what you're talking about, and if all the paperwork to get me into nuke goes through and I end up hating life and everything in a year or so, I'll happily let the thread say "I told you so." I do know the liaison I met with at my MEPS loving loves AECF, so who knows if he's even pushing all that hard to get me into nuke. (Though everyone else in the office was more for me going nuke)

And for the chap who asked, my brother's been in about 3 years now I believe.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hi, go Intel or go IT. That's all. Figure out how you want to do something post Navy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KetTarma posted:

I mean, yeah... you -can- get a high salary job... but it's in a dying industry plagued with layoffs and cancelled new construction projects. Almost everyone I know that works in nuclear has been laid off at least once because so many plants have shut down.

lol if you think I was talking about a power plant (althpugh pale verde is good for another decade or two)

Nah the defense contracting industry is excitably rolling around in scrooge mcduckian vaults of government dollars, and I keep getting multi thousand dollar student research grants and internships because of it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LogicalFallacy posted:

Eh, I trust that y'all do know what you're talking about, and if all the paperwork to get me into nuke goes through and I end up hating life and everything in a year or so, I'll happily let the thread say "I told you so." I do know the liaison I met with at my MEPS loving loves AECF, so who knows if he's even pushing all that hard to get me into nuke. (Though everyone else in the office was more for me going nuke)

9 years ago KetTarma told me going Nuke was a bad idea for my mental health. He was right. He told me so. Stay AECF. Don't sign any Nuke paper. Don't let us say we told you so, just loving listen and DO NOT SIGN NUKE PAPERS

The recruiters get to count you as two people toward their recruiting quota if you sign that paperwork. It's because the job is awful and they have to really push it on doe eyed nerds who don't know why the gift horse is jittery. That money they're offering you is blood money and you've got like a 1 in 30 chance of being a suicide statistic.

You'll make plenty of money in any of the AECF job tracks. I'd recommend submarine FC honestly if you can handle lack of sunlight now and then. The only good job in the navy last I knew was CTN and you have to be blessed by god to get those jobs.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
do yall have any anecdotal stories or thoughts on STG?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

boy are my arms tired posted:

do yall have any anecdotal stories or thoughts on STG?

Not the worst. Not the best. Some cool duty stations. Also not much going on post Navy afaik.

Hope you like owning the sonar spaces in the bottom of the middle of nowhere in a ship though.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

Full disclosure: I was an AT (aviation electronics technician, the dudes who fix the computers on the airplanes). I did a single enlistment of five and a half years. That's four years plus a year extension for an enlistment bonus and a six month extension for medical reasons. I didn't hate it. After I finished, I got out and went back to school for computer engineering on the taxpayer's dime and now I work a relaxing 9-5 job writing software.

Reasons I joined:
- I hosed up at school my first time around
- I was in debt
- I needed to "accelerate my life" out of a personal and financial downward spiral

I have zero regrets about joining the Navy. It cost me five and a half years of my life, but I learned a lot and got some cool stories and made sure to use the gently caress out of my GI Bill benefits when I got out. I get to say that because I was not a nuke. What are your reasons for joining? What did your brother do before enlisting to be a plumber?

Anyway, If the nuke paperwork goes through and you sign it for some reason, remember: you can ask to be discharged from DEP and still join another branch if you truly want it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Don't sign the nuke papers if they go through you loving idiot. It's literally 100% not worth it for any reason whatsoever. No one here is telling you this because they want the opportunity to be able to say "I told you so." It's because the program, workload, and back end benefits simply aren't worth how insanely arduous the work is. People forgo 100k+ tax free reenlistment bonuses because it's not loving worth it.

All of your recruiters don't give a gently caress about you or the poo poo they're gonna put you through. Stay AECF and save yourself years or pain and a lifetime of awful memories. You'll probably still end up whining about ET life without relegating yourself to nuke life.

As a nuke your shore duty options are the schoolhouse, prototype, or recruiting. All of these options suck. Get a loving clue and ignore what your recruiters want and start looking out for yourself. If they're excited about a career for you it's because they're loving you over. People in the Navy get very sour and disappointed sounding when someone other than themselves is getting a good deal. Recruiters are the only people excited about the nuke program, and that's only because they get bonus points for recruiting nukes. Literally every other sailor involved with the process loving loathes it, and for good reason.

If you think the bonus money is worth it consider this: most of the sailors I worked with were earning about $8/hr WITH their bonus payments when it was calculated out as an hourly wage due to the number of duty days, maintenance, and support work that had to be done. If you find some skate rate in a different community you can do poo poo like take college courses or maybe even get a second job, either of which will be significantly more beneficial to you than your nuke training. You're about to sign paperwork that is going to dictate the course and tempo of your entire enlistment, dont make a decision because it might please some scumfuck recruiters in your local office. They are not your friends and you won't ever see them again.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 5, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I couldn't find the gif. On mobile.

goon in a well posted:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Join the merchant marine get your stcw come work under me on the Slavic Crime Yacht

I've got my second mates but will work as an AB if there are whores and cocaine on your yacht...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
This loving toolbox has been talked into going nuke by a recruiter so thhats what he'll do. His idiot brother the shitchasing HT is I'm sure doing him no favors. Let him enlist as a nuke while ignoring our advice liike all of the others since 'we just don't know this particular snowflake'.

I went aecf instead of nuke and never regretted it. You do you though. I find most people that post here don't listen to our advice.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LogicalFallacy posted:

He's I wonder why all those guys at that recruiting station want you to go nuke...Probably because they think you're awesome!

I can't stress enough how loving dumb you'd be to go nuke.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

LogicalFallacy posted:

One of my little brothers is on the autism spectrum. Why am I telling you this you ask? Because I am about to use a word I really don't like and try not to use due to his condition. But I really need to get this point across to you:

IF YOU GO NUKE YOU ARE LITERALLY RETARDED.

I went into DEP my senior of high school. My recruiter asked me once if I wanted to go nuke. I said no. End of discussion. The OIC of the recruiting office wouldn't take no for an answer and kept badgering me about it, to the point where I wanted to punch him right in the face. But I didn't cave. As a dumbass high school kid, who picked his DEP A school based on the recommendation of someone in his hometown who he barely even knew, I was still smart enough to realize that if someone is offering a ton of money to do something, MAYBE THAT SOMETHING REALLY SUCKS.

Now if you wise up and decided to listen to us, here is another important point for you: you don't owe the Navy poo poo until you get to boot camp. They'll use all kinds of tactics to get you to do what they want you to do, which is in no way connected to what's best for you. Its all a numbers game. YOU DON'T OWE THEM poo poo. Repeat this to yourself over and over. No matter how many pieces of papers you sign and oaths you swear before, during, or after MEPS, you are well within your rights to stand up and walk the gently caress out on the Navy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Now if you wise up and decided to listen to us, here is another important point for you: you don't owe the Navy poo poo until you get to boot camp. They'll use all kinds of tactics to get you to do what they want you to do, which is in no way connected to what's best for you. Its all a numbers game. YOU DON'T OWE THEM poo poo. Repeat this to yourself over and over. No matter how many pieces of papers you sign and oaths you swear before, during, or after MEPS, you are well within your rights to stand up and walk the gently caress out on the Navy.

loving THIS, no loving matter what they tell you, you are not obligated to dick until you ship for boot, and even then they'll just hit you with failure to adapt and discharge you without much fuss.

IF THEY TELL YOU YOU MUST BE A NUKE THEY ARE LYING, they will do and say anything to get you to sign that paperwork because it makes them look good. Pick another rate, seriously, anything but a nuclear rate. I was in the Navy for 8 years, and I spent 4 years on the ship with the highest concentration of nuclear-qualified personnel in the Navy (Enterprise had the most nukes in the Navy, drat near 500 of them, and they still had problems filling watchbills), and I can tell you they loving hated their lives. As a nuke you work a lovely schedule called 5 and Dimes, which is 5 hours on watch in the plant, and 10 hours off watch. Your 10 hours off watch are split 5 hours to maintenance and 5 hours to personal poo poo, like sleeping, eating, showering and making GBS threads. How long would you last only getting a max of 4 hours of sleep at a time, while working an arduous and stressful job where the potential for grievous bodily harm and death is one mistake away? On deployment you can't take a day off either, ever. It never ends until you get out, or eat a bullet.

Repeat after me

YOU

OWE

THE

NAVY

NOTHING

You are trading 4 to 8 years of your life to the government. Do not gently caress it away by choosing a job you are guaranteed to hate.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 5, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LogicalFallacy posted:

Well, I did not expect quite as much of an... exuberant response. Fwiw I am 26 and me going nuke is highly dependent on my age waiver going through. Either way I plan on doing ET, so I do figure on having transferable skills once I get out, assuming I don't re-enlist.

I don't know at this point if I want to do career military, which my brother is super gung-ho about right now, or if I plan on trying to find civilian work after this tour.

As for what I'm doing in the time before basic, it's mostly getting into a reasonable shape where I can survive boot camp and rounding out the few credits I need so that I can still go in as an E3 even if I stay AECF.

You are way over thinking boot camp. I went through at 37 in reasonable shape. Your biggest struggle will be not strangling all the teens in their sleep.

Don't go nuke.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LogicalFallacy posted:

edit : gently caress it

I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU TO GO NUKE YOU loving LITTLE BITCH, NO BALLS DO IT YOU loving NERD rear end PUNK BITCH

ded fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 5, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Are we at the pissing in the well part yet?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dingleberry posted:

I've got my second mates but will work as an AB if there are whores and cocaine on your yacht...

We can offer kava

Still better than nuke

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Air Force has a job where you can hand out basketballs in an air conditioned gym. Then you get all the same benefits as a nuke, but minus the nuke part.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Good day goons. Thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself here and acquaint myself with the place, as I have just signed up for the Navy. Current MOS is AECF, though I should be getting reclassed as NUC in the next week or so.

I am open to any suggestions or hints on poo poo that's a drat good idea to do/take care of before I go to basic in May.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Go nuke, see the piers of the world as you will never leave the pier to go on port calls.

Null Integer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 5, 2017

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Well, I did not expect quite as much of an... exuberant response. Fwiw I am 26 and me going nuke is highly dependent on my age waiver going through. Either way I plan on doing ET, so I do figure on having transferable skills once I get out, assuming I don't re-enlist.

Here's an example of your recruiter lying to you.

You absolutely do not get to pick if you want to be an ET, EM, or MM as a nuke. Similarly, you do not get to be on a submarine just because you want to.

You can join with your recruiter promising you will be an ET. That choice is not yours to make. It is based entirely on school slot availability at the time of your boot camp graduation. The type of ship you go to is based on what the Navy needs. Just because your recruiter sold you on Hunt for Red October doesn't mean you get to be Sean Connery.

Watch the scene in Full Metal Jacket where everyone is getting told what they're going to do after they graduate. That's the amount of choice you get in the nuclear field.

Even as an E6, I didn't get to choose where I went for shore duty because we were so critically undermanned.

Here's another KetTarma story. Being a prototype instructor is awful. Everyone wants to avoid it. I was told by my detailer that I needed to volunteer for prototype instructor duty so he could write me orders. I said hell no. He said if I didn't volunteer by x date, he was cutting me unaccompanied orders for a billet in Diego Garcia. If you Google where that is, it's a small island in the middle of nowhere. Not the ideal place to go. I tried to hold out. I talked to my leadership. I ended up as an instructor. It was worse than I ever thought it could have been. People in that situation are who are training the next generation of nukes. Just remember that misery loves company.

I will add that I have been on these forums trying to talk people out of being a nuke since my reg date in 2003. 100% of people that did it anyway have all PMed me or posted expressing how right I was. Everyone I have talked out of it that didn't do it has agreed after the fact that it was the right decision.

Its your choice which statistic group you want to be part of. Just know that if you do it, every time you contemplate how miserable your life is was the direct result of you not listening now.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 5, 2017

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
From my slim, slim perspective I can say that enlisting as an intelligence specialist or IT will give you a better shot at being treated like an adult than most other rates. If you bother not to be an absolute shitpile as an IS there will be many post-enlistment opportunities for you. Take the job they don't have to pay people extra to do.

Obligatory: a former nuke I work with tells me that on Enterprise, he worked in a very confined space that was never cooler than about 120. You need to understand that the tradeoff in quality of life is not worth the money, even if it's more money than you've ever seen in your life. Things like what KetTarma said about the ship's doctor accusing him of malingering when he had a broken toe cut deep in a way you have never encountered before - it's not every place in the Navy that's like that, but you want to avoid it if at all possible.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

We have literally invested 2 pages of posts alternately laughing at and pleading with a poster named LogicalFallacy to not gently caress up his life. I think we're at the pissing in the well part at this point.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283345

Here's the archived Navy nuke thread. You should probably read all 40 pages before signing paperwork.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nuke is one of those things that on its face sounds cool and awesome... but then there's overwhelming evidence that it's actually shittastic.

I'd rather go clean shitters on the MY SLAVIC CRIME under a goon chief engineer.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Someone fill me in on Slavic Crime Yacht's Crime Yacht reference. Missed that somewhere.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Red Crown posted:

From my slim, slim perspective I can say that enlisting as an intelligence specialist or IT will give you a better shot at being treated like an adult than most other rates. If you bother not to be an absolute shitpile as an IS there will be many post-enlistment opportunities for you. Take the job they don't have to pay people extra to do.

IS is the best rate. Seriously, tell your recruiter to gently caress off unless he gives you an IS quota.

Edit: Phone posting, he's the Kiwi working on the yacht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Laranzu posted:

Someone fill me in on Slavic Crime Yacht's Crime Yacht reference. Missed that somewhere.

Slavic Crime Yacht aka two finger is a kiwi chief engineer who's done work of all sorts of boats but is currently (on and off I think) working on a giant rear end super yacht owned by "legitimate businessman"