Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Trying to figure out a set of caps for my K-Type is frustrating. I've reached the point where all I can really come up with is that I want cylindrical keys, OEM-profile, PBT, symbols instead of text for the modifiers (and a generic one instead of the Windows logo), and dark colors to offset the brightness of the LEDs and the aluminum plate. Kicking myself for not grabbing one from the Massdrop thing last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Are the default ones really that offensive? I'd just bide my time and wait for the right one to roll around.

I like the K-Type ones though ... the only thing I'm really waiting/hoping for is some set that is explicitly compatible with Race 3.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Leopoldo FC980M with Cherry Blacks might be my end game. The literal only thing that I find remotely problematic is that it doesn’t have backlighting. With the grey side-panel legends, I think the Miami key caps I have coming in will fix the visibility issues.

It rules and feels great, I hardly bottom out anymore and that is awesome.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

teethgrinder posted:

Are the default ones really that offensive? I'd just bide my time and wait for the right one to roll around.

I like the K-Type ones though ... the only thing I'm really waiting/hoping for is some set that is explicitly compatible with Race 3.

Oh, they're not offensive at all. I just want darker caps for the contrast. Truth be told, it looks pretty nice turned on, with the white ones.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

G-Prime posted:

Oh, they're not offensive at all. I just want darker caps for the contrast. Truth be told, it looks pretty nice turned on, with the white ones.

FWIW, the contrast looks a lot better with the brightness turned down (Fn + minus key).

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Will keep that in mind. I still need to flash the new firmware too. I'm holding off on it until the configurator releases. Also until I can swap springs for all the switches. Feels kinda wasteful for it to just be sitting in the box, but I can survive with my Corsair just fine until I get the K-Type the way I want it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Finally!

The profile is really flat, a bit of a change from SA, but pretty quick to get used to. There's a few variations in the sets I got (like I might swap out the red del key for the grey one) but basically, yeah. An absurd amount of time to wait but I'm glad I went in and I'm also glad they took the time to get it right.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The Deadly Hume posted:

Finally!

The profile is really flat, a bit of a change from SA, but pretty quick to get used to. There's a few variations in the sets I got (like I might swap out the red del key for the grey one) but basically, yeah. An absurd amount of time to wait but I'm glad I went in and I'm also glad they took the time to get it right.

What profile is this, I must have it

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Is that XDA canvas?

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

emdash posted:

What profile is this, I must have it
XDA

namaste faggots posted:

Is that XDA canvas?

Yep, with the alphas and text mods. I got the betas and icon mods.

I regret not getting the mono kit though.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Does anyone have experience with HyperX boards? Their Alloy Elite looks to have similar style and features to my short lived K70, only a bit cheaper.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I might need the name of this keycap set.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I just noticed they hosed up my key set on the k-type :bang:

Contacting support obviously.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Take this as a sign of divine provenance that you should buy a $160 set of keycaps.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

teethgrinder posted:

:hitler:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nothinh wronh with that keyboard

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Pollyanna posted:

I might need the name of this keycap set.

It's a combination of a couple of things:

Modifiers:

DSA HC Granite

Esc + WASD + Spacebar:

WASD Kit and individual spacebar

Both are from Signature Plastics - https://pimpmykeyboard.com

Alphas:

https://en.zfrontier.com/products/es-lingua-franca

It was part of a group buy so your best bet is to get it used or see if another run of this happens.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

GK2 keyboard has a keylogger. Recommend uninstalling the software ASAP.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

teethgrinder posted:

Mine came as a QWETRY keyboard, but that was easily remedied. sorry for your loss

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gotta return the Leopold, turns out it's not compatible with any key cap sets. I've had my eye on a board from MecKeyAlpha.com that has the odd layout I want (numpad, no nav cluster), will post a trip report.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know what's going on with the Configurator for k-type, but you can do some pretty cool stuff with the offline version on Github: https://github.com/kiibohd/configurator/releases/tag/v0.3.0

It's not terribly intuitive and I don't think you can actually save changes besides exporting your firmware. I have it currently set to doing "fingerprints" though where keys light up as I type. Hopefully in future they add a random RGB value feature; right now it's just single colour.

I haven't bothered looking at the Massdrop pages for this keyboard because I just assume they're filled with whining, from past experience.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

I don't know what's going on with the Configurator for k-type, but you can do some pretty cool stuff with the offline version on Github: https://github.com/kiibohd/configurator/releases/tag/v0.3.0

It's not terribly intuitive and I don't think you can actually save changes besides exporting your firmware. I have it currently set to doing "fingerprints" though where keys light up as I type. Hopefully in future they add a random RGB value feature; right now it's just single colour.

I haven't bothered looking at the Massdrop pages for this keyboard because I just assume they're filled with whining, from past experience.

If it lets you write your own, just make an array of all the colours and an array of all the keys then use a random to assign the backlight every however many seconds you would like

That’s what I did with mine anyways

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

mewse posted:

Nothinh wronh with that keyboard

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah it was a missed opportunity, but now I've properly flashed my keyboard to match the key cap set. Now all I need to do is actually use the letter h. Ah there we ho. Finally I can show how fuckinh stupid this thinh's delivery was. Yadda yadda yadda the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy doh. drat that was a lot of characters just to het to h.

Okay this himmick is lame time to switch back.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

FTFY

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
A Star Trek keycap set designed with help from GeekHack.org keeb dweebs you say

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/a28904/star-trek-keyset/

I like Star Trek and custom keycaps, but... I'm not sure I like this set that much. Artisan keycaps also fail to appeal to me, and the bronze Galaxy-class starship is still no exception.

maybe there is yet hope for me

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
New caps came through yesterday:

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

CyberPingu posted:

New caps came through yesterday:

Looks awesome with that fugu. What set/fugu?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

mpaarating posted:

Looks awesome with that fugu. What set/fugu?

GMK Sky Dolch with a Sky Dolch Fugu

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have reccs for a 65/68% (basically, small with arrow keys) keyboard that comes in white or silver? Hopefully with as few non-standard keycaps as possible, I have a set of Godspeed keycaps arriving in February that I want to put on it.

I finally found a white Leopold FC210TP with Cherry Browns; my (god willing...) endgame is so close (well, at least 4 months away, but hey).

e: Was looking at a Tada68 with Zealios/silver aluminum, but I'm not sure if the keycaps are standard/at that point it's ~$200 and there's maybe better boards at that price point.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

foutre posted:

Does anyone have reccs for a 65/68% (basically, small with arrow keys) keyboard that comes in white or silver? Hopefully with as few non-standard keycaps as possible, I have a set of Godspeed keycaps arriving in February that I want to put on it.

I finally found a white Leopold FC210TP with Cherry Browns; my (god willing...) endgame is so close (well, at least 4 months away, but hey).

e: Was looking at a Tada68 with Zealios/silver aluminum, but I'm not sure if the keycaps are standard/at that point it's ~$200 and there's maybe better boards at that price point.

65%
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4ciatx/guide_65_keyboards_what_they_are_and_where_to_get/

Sooo theres this but its on preorder at the moment

https://kono.store/products/nightfox-mechanical-keyboard

You could also try a MagicForce 68.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Thanks for the links!

It looks like I really should have gotten a 1.75 shift key for a lot of these, whoops.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

foutre posted:

Thanks for the links!

It looks like I really should have gotten a 1.75 shift key for a lot of these, whoops.

Id checkout /r/mechmarket, usually guys sell off random caps on there so you may be able to pick up some spares from other GodSpeed sets.

Edit. Or double check what you get in the godspeed set you ordered.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I just bought a new Saber 68 (same board as the tada68) and it's pretty nice my first mechanical keyboard so I can only compare it to the steelseries I used to have. The Mod-h switches are a bit heavier than I'm used to but they seem much more tactile than the brown switch in my tester.

mewse
May 2, 2006

foutre posted:

I have a tada68 on order so I've spent a lot of time looking at the layout. I think if you wanted to put godspeed on it you would've had to have ordered the TSAFOX modifiers. The most challenging caps are the 1u modifiers between spacebar and arrow keys on the right hand side, followed by the nav keys on the right hand edge. Oh and yeah the 1.75 shift key sucks too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm having trouble deciding between browns and clears. Clears feel a bit better to me, but I feel like I would miss keys more often on them. Browns don't have quite as satisfying a tactile feel, but they're a lot closer to my normal typing force and I feel more confident on them. And it's not like they don't have a tactile feel at all, of course.

Reason I bring this up is because I want the MK Disco TLK for the price point, the alt-GUI swapping, and the overall quality, but it doesn't come in clear which I want the option to have. I could also get the GMMK TKL, but that one doesn't have the alt-GUI swapping dip switch which is super useful (I'll be using the keyboard with OSX/macOS often).

Might just bite the bullet and get the MK Disco in brown, then in the future get another keyboard in clear. :shrug:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I'm having trouble deciding between browns and clears. Clears feel a bit better to me, but I feel like I would miss keys more often on them. Browns don't have quite as satisfying a tactile feel, but they're a lot closer to my normal typing force and I feel more confident on them. And it's not like they don't have a tactile feel at all, of course.

Reason I bring this up is because I want the MK Disco TLK for the price point, the alt-GUI swapping, and the overall quality, but it doesn't come in clear which I want the option to have. I could also get the GMMK TKL, but that one doesn't have the alt-GUI swapping dip switch which is super useful (I'll be using the keyboard with OSX/macOS often).

Might just bite the bullet and get the MK Disco in brown, then in the future get another keyboard in clear. :shrug:

It doesnt come in clear because MX Clears dont support RGB Leds unfortunately. Which sucks as clears are my favourite switches.

Browns are pretty good, but too light for my tastes as i like to hammer my keys. They almost feel like blues without the click halfway down.

It really boils down to if your preference is RGB or switch preference.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CyberPingu posted:

It doesnt come in clear because MX Clears dont support RGB Leds unfortunately. Which sucks as clears are my favourite switches.

Browns are pretty good, but too light for my tastes as i like to hammer my keys. They almost feel like blues without the click halfway down.

It really boils down to if your preference is RGB or switch preference.

RGB helps for identifying keys in the dark since I'm not a touch typist (and I'm also a sucker for blinkenlights), so I'd like to at least try it out. I'm not married to it, though.

What the hell would make clears incompatible with RGB? :psyduck: I can't think of any reason why they'd be special in that regard. Isn't the difference between brown and clear just a matter of force required? I can't imagine any structural changes necessary for that being a problem with RGB.

I think I'll get the MK Disco in brown, just to start off. Man, that dip switch is super tempting.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
It's simply the fact clears aren't made with a transparent housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

RGB helps for identifying keys in the dark since I'm not a touch typist (and I'm also a sucker for blinkenlights), so I'd like to at least try it out. I'm not married to it, though.

What the hell would make clears incompatible with RGB? :psyduck: I can't think of any reason why they'd be special in that regard. Isn't the difference between brown and clear just a matter of force required? I can't imagine any structural changes necessary for that being a problem with RGB.

I think I'll get the MK Disco in brown, just to start off. Man, that dip switch is super tempting.

If you are using RGB as a way of identifying keys in the dark id recommend getting some proper lighting for your desk otherwise you are going to screw up your eyes. (I have RGB at home and i love sparkling things too)

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

It's simply the fact clears aren't made with a transparent housing.

Yeah basically this.