Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/list-63-sears-kmart-stores-closing-january-50919721

I don't even know whether this is yesterday's Sears closing news or today's.

The news here isn't so much that a lot of Sears are going to close, or even that all Sears are going to close. I imagine that is pretty much guaranteed.

My real question is, how big of a ripple effect will this have? How many malls are going to close down when Sears closes?

Obviously a healthy mall isn't going to care. But there are a lot of ailing malls that are going to get knocked out by this. But how big of an effect will it have? That is the big question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I stopped by a mall to meet an old work buddy for lunch this week.

The door at JC Pennies didn't work. This was an old lunch haunt of ours. The door hasn't worked in 3 years.

3 years with your doors not working.

:suicide:

The sooner these places are out of business and replaced by companies that don't suck the better.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

fishmech posted:

The normal business hours of the store are during the day. The poster deliberately avoids the normal business hours because he "doesn't want to be around people". Then he gets mad that when he goes when no one else goes, it's staffed for nobody else to be going, and he refuses to use the self-checkout instead just because.

Also it's not "retail cutbacks" it's simple normal retail practice in most of the country - and that's with America being one of the countries that keeps stores open the longest.

Uh, sure, whatever you say.

Crow Jane posted:

I'm amazed every time I remember Kmart is still hanging on somehow

Every Kmart I've been to in the last twenty years has been like something out of the Twilight Zone. It's a great example of a store failing to maintain branding - nobody shops at Kmart because nobody knows what Kmart sells. Toothpaste? Underwear? It is a mystery.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Every Kmart I've been to in the last twenty years has been like something out of the Twilight Zone. It's a great example of a store failing to maintain branding - nobody shops at Kmart because nobody knows what Kmart sells. Toothpaste? Underwear? It is a mystery.

I imagine it to be an even sadder version of a dollar store, but more expensive.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

PT6A posted:

I imagine it to be an even sadder version of a dollar store, but more expensive.

It's great because they're always visually flagging, too. Half the lights are out, a bunch of shelves are empty, there's discarded boxes piled up in the corners. I know there was a time when they were a legit store because it was a sensation when they opened a Big K in my town in the 90s but it's nearly impossible to imagine what it was like when Kmart was a place to be.

edit: related - here's an archive of K-Mart in-store music tapes from the early 90s. Mmm, muzak.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 5, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Does Kmart still have "cafes"? If so, that's got to be one of the saddest dining experiences a human can have

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's great because they're always visually flagging, too. Half the lights are out, a bunch of shelves are empty, there's discarded boxes piled up in the corners. I know there was a time when they were a legit store because it was a sensation when they opened a Big K in my town in the 90s but it's nearly impossible to imagine what it was like when Kmart was a place to be.

The old school "Blue Light Specials" was hilarious to see happen.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
K-Mart was just Wal-Mart before Wal-Mart was something you could go to in most of the country. And the Big K-Mart branding things were just the same as when they used to call Wal-Marts with the grocery section in a "Super Wal-Mart" before that became the default style of a Wal-Mart.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I kinda skimmed the last few pages, did anyone propose a restaurant that is "open" 24 hours but you have to cook your own food between midnight and 6 am

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Polygynous posted:

I kinda skimmed the last few pages, did anyone propose a restaurant that is "open" 24 hours but you have to cook your own food between midnight and 6 am

Those are called gas stations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Most of the job growth since the financial crisis has been lovely jobs, so the job market recovery hasn't been all it's cracked up to be.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

edit: related - here's an archive of K-Mart in-store music tapes from the early 90s. Mmm, muzak.
One thing that continues to baffle me is that 15 years ago, most stores were playing 90's soft rock and pop rock for their in-store music, and today, they're still playing mostly 90's soft rock and pop rock.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

hobbesmaster posted:

Those are called gas stations.

around here I'm pretty sure they staff the kitchen round the clock, some of them anyway. yeah, gas stations. :shrug:

e: for some definition of "kitchen", but anyway

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 5, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Polygynous posted:

OneEightHundred posted:

One thing that continues to baffle me is that 15 years ago, most stores were playing 90's soft rock and pop rock for their in-store music, and today, they're still playing mostly 90's soft rock and pop rock.

The people who shop at stores that play 90s soft rock are the same people who shopped at stores that played 90s soft rock, probably. It's funny listening to the Kmart tapes because it's so easy to forget that there was a time when actual Dawn of the Dead muzak muzak used to be everywhere, I mean it was really a cultural phenomenon, but it's been replaced by forgettable - but, more importantly, recognizable - pop and soft rock songs. When I was a kid I remember when a real song would come on the in-store speakers, because it was a break from the purposefully anonymous smooth jazz and synth music, but now every store has its own carefully cultivated and managed Spotify playlist that you can Shazaam and purchase.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

poo poo, that does sound like a seinfeld episode

hell, a bunch of techbro ideas sound like kramer business plans. less plausible, even.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The funniest part of the Mejiers stupidity is the fact that Mejiers is basically Walmart but for food.

The fact that you expect good service at one at any time of the day is nuts.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The people who shop at stores that play 90s soft rock are the same people who shopped at stores that played 90s soft rock, probably.
Yeah but I mean cases like mall ambiance, groceries, department stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. that should ideally have a fairly broad demographic slice. I'd assume that after 15 years, their playlists would move forward 15 years as people in their ideal demographic aged out and younger customers aged in, but they've barely budged.

I could believe a lot of possible explanations. It could be that the 90's were just an unusually good decade for inoffensive shopping music, it could be that the stores are about as motivated to update their music playlists as they are to upgrade their POS systems, but the most dangerous explanation is that younger customers don't shop there any more.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OneEightHundred posted:

Yeah but I mean cases like mall ambiance, groceries, department stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. that should ideally have a fairly broad demographic slice. I'd assume that after 15 years, their playlists would move forward 15 years as people in their ideal demographic aged out and younger customers aged in, but they've barely budged.

I could believe a lot of possible explanations. It could be that the 90's were just an unusually good decade for inoffensive shopping music, it could be that the stores are about as motivated to update their music playlists as they are to upgrade their POS systems, but the most dangerous explanation is that younger customers don't shop there any more.

Are you sure the playlists aren't mixing in 2000s stuff now (and in the past, mixing in later 80s stuff then)? Honestly a lot of that sort of music tends to blend together as long as the changes are done gradually.

Consider the situations with oldies radio. Originally, those stations got really big in the late 70s/early 80s mostly just playing 50s and 60s music. Listen to the same stations still advertising as oldies radio now and they'll mostly be playing 80s and early-mid 90s music, with a greatly decreased selection of 50s-70s music (though they'll always keep some Beatles, some Elvis, etc on the playlists, it wouldn't sound right without it). It's not like that happened overnight though, they slowly slid forward 30 years in the music timeline while 40 years passed in actual time. Listening from year to year you'd barely notice a difference.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I haven't been to a Walmart in forever and Target doesn't play music but I've only ever heard Despacito in stores so I think there's definitely been some updating.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

glowing-fish posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/list-63-sears-kmart-stores-closing-january-50919721

I don't even know whether this is yesterday's Sears closing news or today's.

The news here isn't so much that a lot of Sears are going to close, or even that all Sears are going to close. I imagine that is pretty much guaranteed.

My real question is, how big of a ripple effect will this have? How many malls are going to close down when Sears closes?

Obviously a healthy mall isn't going to care. But there are a lot of ailing malls that are going to get knocked out by this. But how big of an effect will it have? That is the big question.

The mall near my hometown is going to get nailed by this. Sears was one of their big anchors from the get go, and it's been flagging for years now.

The mall was built in 1989, and was like glorious 90's heaven for about a decade. Fountains, food court, arcades, several anchors, toy stores, book stores, electronics, video games, etc. Now it has like...a gym, a discount shoe store... they closed off the food court into an H&M around 2000. It's just depressing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SimonCat posted:

I"m sorry you live in such a lovely area. Luckily Hy-Vee still has good customer service.

Yup. I work overnights, so I do most of my shopping at odd hours, and Hy-Vee has earned my business by having help available whenever the store is open, which is 24/7.

Polygynous posted:

I know, it's apparently thought crime to expect a major retailer to be able to effectively take their customers' money during their stated hours of operation. That said, I'd love a place that gave me access to a commercial kitchen on late nights.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 5, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. I work overnights, so I do most of my shopping at odd hours, and Hy-Vee has earned my business by having help available whenever the store is open, which is 24/7.

how bourgie of you, forums poster liquid capitalism

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

blowfish posted:

how bourgie of you, forums poster liquid capitalism

Yeah, pretty much. On the other hand, HyVee pays well for retail and offers benefits, so I don't particularly feel bad about it enabling the shift work I have to do to stay solvent.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Snorkzilla posted:

I don't know how I can make it any more clear that their checkout wasn't working properly. And that the guy who is paid to attend it didn't really want to focus on helping me get through whatever the problem was with the scale.

E: this is my last post in the subject, I'm just being argued with by people with low reading comprehension skills or trolls. This is my angry storm out that you've all been hoping actually happened. *swaggers hips while walking out *

https://twitter.com/dril/status/528316291564961793

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
a minimum wage worker unconcerned with your problem?? well i never,

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, pretty much. On the other hand, HyVee pays well for retail and offers benefits, so I don't particularly feel bad about it enabling the shift work I have to do to stay solvent.

They also go out of their way to hire people that otherwise couldn't get a job, which owns.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Xae posted:

They also go out of their way to hire people that otherwise couldn't get a job, which owns.

Employee-owned, too, which likely has a lot to do with all of the above.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Maybe we need to face the real fact here: the midwest sucks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liquid Communism posted:

I know, it's apparently thought crime to expect a major retailer to be able to effectively take their customers' money during their stated hours of operation.

The store was perfectly capable of taking his money. He however was not capable of not being an over-demanding prick.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

The store was perfectly capable of taking his money. He however was not capable of not being an over-demanding prick.

Look. There is no objective standard by which a store policy of either providing or not providing manned checkouts during opening hours is right or wrong. There's only a standard of which is more profitable. A lazy goon voting with his wallet by instead going to a store providing manned checkouts during opening hours is literally the platonic ideal of capitalism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't think I've ever used a self-checkout machine that lets you do more than two bags at once so I'm not even sure how it would've been feasible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't think I've ever used a self-checkout machine that lets you do more than two bags at once so I'm not even sure how it would've been feasible.

There's tons of stores out there where the self checkout machine has a big old belt and bagging area (or sometimes a little belt and a big bagging area) just like a manned checkout has. Only instead of the belt being before the things get scanned, it's all placed after the scanning area, to make the most efficient use of the space.

A side benefit of these designs is that the area the food waits in before being bagged has no weight sensors, so you don't need to worry about taking bags and items out to put in the cart causing problems, weight/size verification gets done after placing the items onto the first belt area.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 5, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That makes slightly more sense.

edit: this is about as fancy as it gets here:

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 5, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the conveyor belt self-checkouts are my favorite but only giant has those here. shoprite has 1 and the rest are the tiny ones, along with target and walmart.

I hate the tiny ones. but I love self-checkout and whenever I need help I like to be kind to the people helping me. :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That makes slightly more sense.

edit: this is about as fancy as it gets here:

Yeah, those are the only ones I've ever seen around here. No way could I do a full shopping trip on one.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, those are the only ones I've ever seen around here. No way could I do a full shopping trip on one.

Maybe there are regional differences, but at least with all the machines I have used in the Midwest, once an item is weighed and verified, it can be removed from the scale. Meaning, scan and fill two bags on the scale, remove the two bags from the scale, repeat. Probably not the most efficient for large purchases, but doable.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JnnyThndrs posted:

I generally do "full" shopping trips, but I live within walking distance of safeway, trader joes, and a local asian-run produce market. So I'm more limited to what I can carry and make a lot of trips. They aren't that bad. Some tricks i've noticed is never try to put your bags in there at first since they ened to be approved or something, just throw them on the ground and bag while it runs the payment. Saves a lot of time.

The Safeways here (bay area, ca) are utter garbage though, there's like 1-2 full-cashiers even during peak hours, and because you can't buy liquor at self-checkouts, those lines get utterly buttfucked lining up to the back of the store backing up the entire front walkway and aisles. But self-checkout line is just as bad. We have 8 self-checkout stations here, anywhere from 2-5 are usually broken at any given time and the line for self-checkout also extends far into the aisle and can easily be a 15 minute wait. The store is chronically understaffed for the mass volume of people, and the employees are burnt out and dgaf (understandbly) so there's never any help on the floor and rarely much help at the self-checkout since the one guy there is running around like a headless chicken all over trying to put out fires. It's almost incredible how poorly run the store is, especially since they did that fancy faux-upscale remodelling about 5 years ago so "looks like a nice" store but isn't at all.

Contrast to the Trader Joes where they'll have like all registers going almost all day long and rarely more than a 5 minute wait (usually like 1-3) and all the employees are paid well and well-staffed so they're generally pleasant. I much prefer to do as much shoping there as possible just because its so much more pleasant (and often a lot cheaper, Safeway is kind of expensive as gently caress unless what you want is on sale).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I imagine grocery shopping would be far easier to get through if they just had more staff.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Swap_File posted:

Maybe there are regional differences, but at least with all the machines I have used in the Midwest, once an item is weighed and verified, it can be removed from the scale. Meaning, scan and fill two bags on the scale, remove the two bags from the scale, repeat. Probably not the most efficient for large purchases, but doable.

Ours don’t do that, if you take your bag off it screams at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Xaris posted:

The Safeways here (bay area, ca) are utter garbage though, there's like 1-2 full-cashiers even during peak hours, and because you can't buy liquor at self-checkouts, those lines get utterly buttfucked lining up to the back of the store backing up the entire front walkway and aisles. But self-checkout line is just as bad. We have 8 self-checkout stations here, anywhere from 2-5 are usually broken at any given time and the line for self-checkout also extends far into the aisle and can easily be a 15 minute wait. The store is chronically understaffed for the mass volume of people, and the employees are burnt out and dgaf (understandbly) so there's never any help on the floor and rarely much help at the self-checkout since the one guy there is running around like a headless chicken all over trying to put out fires. It's almost incredible how poorly run the store is, especially since they did that fancy faux-upscale remodelling about 5 years ago so "looks like a nice" store but isn't at all.

Safeway went utterly to poo poo when that Romney-esque private capital firm bought them a few years ago, the updated stores have a terrible selection of actual food. All the effort is toward coffee bars, fancy deli items and endless rows of wine; the food is shoved into a tiny section in the middle. And, as you mentioned, staffing is horrid, there is never enough checkers no matter when you go.

My parents live in Santa Cruz where there are literally no supermarkets but Safeway. There's Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, but if you want to do a complete shopping trip, you're stuck with Safeway. They were always a bit expensive, but much of the foodstuffs are 2x as much as the Winco I shop at, and the service is far worse.