Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I could see Curry's Pennywise as, like, Satan. But he's a slightly little too human for what It is supposed to be, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Leper is just Javier Botet with some make-up.

He was also the Crooked Man in The Conjuring 2. Another creature a lot of people thought was CGI though it is somewhat understandable in that film since they played with the speed and frame rate to make him look like he was moving like a stop motion creature. Which made him look even more unreal.

Everything Botet plays is wonderful. He was the lady zombie in REC and was loving terrifying. His limbs are so long and thin and he can get into some really freaky positions which makes people think it's all fake. Dude's awesome.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Crooked Man is getting his own movie too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SimonCat posted:

How do you know what an interdimensional alien shapeshifting monster clown is like?

wow how whitebread is your neighborhood

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Botet was also the mocapped Alien and Neomorph in Covenant.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Everything Botet plays is wonderful. He was the lady zombie in REC and was loving terrifying. His limbs are so long and thin and he can get into some really freaky positions which makes people think it's all fake. Dude's awesome.

Needs to be a monster with Doug Jones

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Botet was also the mocapped Alien and Neomorph in Covenant.

I read that after I posted the last thing. Kinda wanna watch it again to see but now I know and remembering the neomorph scene in particular it makes sense.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
What do they do to practical effects like that in the post production process that makes em look CGI?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They added his eye and probably some goop coming out and your brain does the rest because you're conditioned to see nothing but CGI effects.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It also just looks wrong so your brain goes "Has to be CGI because that can't be real".

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

What do they do to practical effects like that in the post production process that makes em look CGI?

the entire special effects industry is built on the fact that the average filmgoer is vastly, vastly worse at judging what is "real" than they think they are, its just that this swings the other way when a boogeyman like CGI can be blamed for everything they don't like.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

CelticPredator posted:

They added his eye and probably some goop coming out and your brain does the rest because you're conditioned to see nothing but CGI effects.

gently caress, i need to break out of this prison

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Love the latex and life will be grand

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The makeup on that thing sucks and the scene (and that photo) take place in bright sunlight no wonder it looks like lovely cgi

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I mean, they pretty obviously cgi'd dudes nose-hole to move around when he went all ooga booga at the camera.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I liked the movie quite a bit. Saw it twice in theaters. That being said, I was pretty disappointed with the leper's design. From the description in the book I always imagined something closer to Emil after he gets melted by the toxic waste in Robocop. What showed up in the movie itself was almost, I don't know, cartoony? Absurd? It felt like kind of a missed opportunity.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Together, like the front and back halves of a horse costume?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fart City posted:

I liked the movie quite a bit. Saw it twice in theaters. That being said, I was pretty disappointed with the leper's design. From the description in the book I always imagined something closer to Emil after he gets melted by the toxic waste in Robocop. What showed up in the movie itself was almost, I don't know, cartoony? Absurd? It felt like kind of a missed opportunity.

yeah it looked too goofy to be creepy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I could see Curry's Pennywise as, like, Satan. But he's a slightly little too human for what It is supposed to be, yeah.

the tim curry pennywise is way closer to the book pennywise than this movie's. it's the only thing the miniseries does better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it looked too goofy to be creepy.

A lot of the 'scary' bits in the movie come across like this, in particular Pennywise's epileptic fit movement as he runs up on people. That poo poo made me laugh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He is a clown, so he does exist to make you laugh.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

the tim curry pennywise is way closer to the book pennywise than this movie's. it's the only thing the miniseries does better.

Nah. I did a new movie/re-watch the miniseries/re-read the book combo, and Curry Pennywise was...not much like the book at all. Curry Pennywise just stands around taunting the kids instead of trying to get them much at all, which he specifically only did as an adult in the novel, and that was only because at that point he was both scared and wanted another showdown and revenge. And IT was written as far more unearthly than Curry played him.

Hell, even in the adult section, there's no way that Pennywise would make out with one of the Losers. The miniseries was basically Tim Curry's Freddy Kruger in clown makeup.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

He is a clown, so he does exist to make you laugh.

:aaaaa:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Darko posted:

Nah. I did a new movie/re-watch the miniseries/re-read the book combo, and Curry Pennywise was...not much like the book at all. Curry Pennywise just stands around taunting the kids instead of trying to get them much at all, which he specifically only did as an adult in the novel, and that was only because at that point he was both scared and wanted another showdown and revenge. And IT was written as far more unearthly than Curry played him.

the miniseries keeps in it's best line and the movie doesn't so yeah it's closer to the book.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A lot of the 'scary' bits in the movie come across like this, in particular Pennywise's epileptic fit movement as he runs up on people. That poo poo made me laugh.

I was also cracking up a lot during this movie. I did not find it particularly scary.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

the miniseries keeps in it's best line and the movie doesn't so yeah it's closer to the book.

Is it the "I AM THE DEVOURER OF WORLDS... AND OF CHILDREN" bit? That line's loving incredible, but I don't think Skarsgard could have pulled it off quite as well as Curry, and the new movie tries really hard not to invite the comparison so I'm not surprised they cut it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Curry is Bela Lugosi Dracula. He is charismatic and mystical in a creepy way. He is imposing but doesn't really do all that much other than stand around and talk but he is better than you and he knows it so he doesn't need to do much more. Something as grandoise as "I AM THE DEVOURER OF WORLDS... AND OF CHILDREN" fits him because he is basically cosmic aristocracy.

Skarsgard is Cristopher Lee Dracula. He is a monstrous predator just barely pretending to be something human. Alternatively he is Max Shreck Dracula. A hideous parasite wallowing in filth , basically a humanoid rodent. Either way huge dramatic speeches aren't his thing.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is it the "I AM THE DEVOURER OF WORLDS... AND OF CHILDREN" bit? That line's loving incredible, but I don't think Skarsgard could have pulled it off quite as well as Curry, and the new movie tries really hard not to invite the comparison so I'm not surprised they cut it.

Maybe it'll be in Part 2. In the book he says it to adult Bev, right?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUMIXbTM5U ?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Movie is ok. it would have been better if they had cut about 50% scenes of clowns going BLARGHRABGLAH running at people, and added a lot more scenes of kids being kids + character development, especially of the jew kid, the black kid and the bully. as it stands those three are barely characters. also the music was so overbearing and awful.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
one thing i'll say about the director is that he handled the tone of the movie really well. the problem with the horror scenes for me wasn't ever a "what the gently caress? where did that come from? it didn't fit at all with the previous scenes" thing, but more of a "drat, one of the kids is by himself...and there's the obvious music cue. guess it's time for another boring scene of the clown screaming while running at the camera"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The kids were scared. That’s kind of what mattered the most.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

bobkatt013 posted:

He and Botet often work together in similar roles (and Jones even portrayed the character Botet originated in REC for the American remake)

Botet is also KeyFace in the new Insidious movie, another practical creature.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

He and Botet often work together in similar roles (and Jones even portrayed the character Botet originated in REC for the American remake)

Botet is also KeyFace in the new Insidious movie, another practical creature.

I was wondering about that and if was that supposed to be that Crooked Man spinoff from The Conjuring 2.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I was wondering about that and if was that supposed to be that Crooked Man spinoff from The Conjuring 2.

KeyFace is his own thing (and he seems far cooler than the movie he's in, tbh) but I imagine Botet will return to play the Crooked Man in the spinoff proper.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

KeyFace and the Crooked Man should do a crossover vs film.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
On rewatch of IT, the repeated BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA COMIN' ATCHA moments do kinda ruin it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why you hatin on dat boi Pennywise.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nothing personal, my legs just got tired from jumping up and shouting OH poo poo WADDUP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I understand.

• Locked thread