Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

SpacePig posted:

Metal Bat and Glasses for me. And arguably Bang, now that he's here.

I mean, there was no rooting for anyone with Bang. That poo poo's a done deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How will Saitama react when he finds Garou is just some guy he casually swatted away a couple of times?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Say Nothing posted:

How will Saitama react when he finds Garou is just some guy he casually swatted away a couple of times?

There's zero chance Saitama remembers him.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="478085094"]

"You should watch out, I hear there's a guy going around hunting heroes"

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="478085094"]
This. Saitama has a hard time remembering people he's fought. I bet he's already forgotten about Boros, even.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

This. Saitama has a hard time remembering people he's fought. I bet he's already forgotten about Boros, even.

He has a hard time remembering Genos.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

El Jebus posted:

He has a hard time remembering Genos.

Saitama even forgets the most important things of all! Like what day is sale day at the supermarket.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Murata fanboying over Toriyama. It's cute. He also says that ONE is his favourite mangaka.

https://twitter.com/ChuckConcrete/status/926979168356700160

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Blaze Dragon posted:

Murata fanboying over Toriyama. It's cute. He also says that ONE is his favourite mangaka.

https://twitter.com/ChuckConcrete/status/926979168356700160

It's kind of crazy just how many people give Toriyama credit for inspiring them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did not realize Murata had kids, I've always thought of him as the young newcomer but I guess that's really not right since he's been in the scene for a long time now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

I did not realize Murata had kids, I've always thought of him as the young newcomer but I guess that's really not right since he's been in the scene for a long time now.

Yeah, same.

* does a quick google*

Oh, he's 39. And here I was thinking he was in his twenties or something. Well that makes sense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I was surprised to find out that the dude has like a decade on me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He posted one of his kid's drawing once and she's already fantastic.

And I know I post this a lot but ONE is insanely good. I'm glad that Murata gave him that shout-out.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 6, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Elentor posted:

He posted one of his kid's drawing once and she's already fantastic.

And I know I post this a lot but ONE is insanely good. I'm glad that Murata gave him that shout-out.

is there a link to the drawing?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have any, someone posted in one of these threads many months ago.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Keeshhound posted:

It's kind of crazy just how many people give Toriyama credit for inspiring them.

Toriyama is basically the father of modern shounen battle manga (shoutouts to Togashi and Buronson tho)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Toriyama is a legit fantastic artist. He's got a great sense of pacing, comedic timing and of course, his fight scenes are great.

Not to mention the guy seemed to crap out a ton of iconic character designs like it was nothing.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 6, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
he's got a few stinkers here and there (that lady red comic jesus christ) but yeah he's one of the greats

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Monaghan posted:

Toriyama is a legit fantastic artist. He's got a great sense of pacing, comedic timing and of course, his fight scenes are great.

Not to mention the guy seemed to crap out a ton of iconic character designs like it was nothing.

The only problem Toriyama has as an artist is that he's kinda stuck with his character designs. You've got your Piccolos, your Gokus, your Bulmas, your Lunch/Launchs etc.

Then again when said designs have pretty much made your career how much can you blame a dude for sticking to what he knows?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
At this point Toriyamaface is its own brand

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only problem Toriyama has as an artist is that he's kinda stuck with his character designs. You've got your Piccolos, your Gokus, your Bulmas, your Lunch/Launchs etc.

Then again when said designs have pretty much made your career how much can you blame a dude for sticking to what he knows?

In all fairness to Toriyama, how much of it is him sticking to what he knows and how much of it is publishers and audiences demanding more of what he does best, limiting his ability to branch out?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You can only do so much with stick-figures and that's kinda the thing there.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, people tend to underestimate Toriyama since he's been drawing forever and a lot of stuff in his name is actually being done/drawn by his studio but if you go look at the dragonball manga proper or any of the other things he's done personally over the years it's easy to see it's got amazing layout and clear action. He's astoundingly good.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Toriyamas stuff is simple. Both characters, story and art

But it's just perfect

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Asimo posted:

Yeah, people tend to underestimate Toriyama since he's been drawing forever and a lot of stuff in his name is actually being done/drawn by his studio but if you go look at the dragonball manga proper or any of the other things he's done personally over the years it's easy to see it's got amazing layout and clear action. He's astoundingly good.

Someone posted a link in the Dragonball topic a long while back, to a dissemination of Toriyama's art and why it's good and it's an amazing read.

It isn't nearly as detailed, nor as pretty as Murata's. But it's extremely clear in what it wants to convey and conveys that perfectly.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Darth TNT posted:

Someone posted a link in the Dragonball topic a long while back, to a dissemination of Toriyama's art and why it's good and it's an amazing read.

It isn't nearly as detailed, nor as pretty as Murata's. But it's extremely clear in what it wants to convey and conveys that perfectly.

Do you mean this?

https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/effort-series/

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Darth TNT posted:

FYI I think the word you are looking for here is "deconstruction."

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

Dragon ball is a worldwide phenomenon that transcends generations. Even now kids are getting into it and it's popular in schools

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
There is still a Dragon Ball series airing on TV today starring the exact same character it always has more than 30 years later. Good or not, it's not surprising that it'd inspire so many if it's been around that long.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I thought it was a dissertation.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I didn't mean that it was surprising, I meant that when you think about just how enormous Toriyama's influence is, it's kind of mind boggling.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Xarbala posted:

In my head dissemination and deconstruction have some abstract semantic similarity that involves spreading information out, but I could see dissertation too. They both end up in more or less the same place.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In all fairness to Toriyama, how much of it is him sticking to what he knows and how much of it is publishers and audiences demanding more of what he does best, limiting his ability to branch out?

Depends on how much he actually draws for himself. Considering he has a studio that does a lot of his stuff I'd probably place more of the blame on the demand for his artistic style than his own unwillingness to improve.

Fartbox posted:

Toriyamas stuff is simple. Both characters, story and art

But it's just perfect

I remember a discussion somewhere (probably here in ADTRW) about Dragonball that basically boiled down to 'a lot of the inconsistencies you can find in Dragonball (and Z, GT, etc.) are due to Toriyama forgetting his own details.'

Nothing is perfect, everything can be improved :colbert:

As seen by how a cool and detailed artist takes some crazy nigh-stick figure drawings on an amazing storyboard to make something amazing.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 6, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

EponymousMrYar posted:

I remember a discussion somewhere (probably here in ADTRW) about Dragonball that basically boiled down to 'a lot of the inconsistencies you can find in Dragonball (and Z, GT, etc.) are due to Toriyama forgetting his own details.'

My favorite bit of goofy trivia re: Toriyama is that he was simultaneously the worst loving slacker and a goddamned speed demon where it came to work; apparently he would consistantly goof off until just before the deadline and then belt out a week's worth of work in about two days. And he did it so regularly that his editor said in an interview that he just started telling Toriyama that the deadlines were about a week and a half before they were actually due, because the work would still get done on pretty much the same schedule (the day before or of the "deadline"), but it meant the editor and publisher weren't freaking out over him leaving everything to the last minute.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
He's also a horrendous chain smoker

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Every modern picture I've seen of Toriyama, he's wearing goofy Hawaiian print shirts and thats how im tryna be

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Expect My Mom posted:

Every modern picture I've seen of Toriyama, he's wearing goofy Hawaiian print shirts and thats how im tryna be

Truly he has embraced the Master Roshi.

All he needs is some turtle paraphernalia.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

He's also a horrendous chain smoker

That seems to be the norm for manga artists.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Say Nothing posted:

That seems to be the norm for manga artists.

Probably all that pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Xarbala posted:

Dr Subterfuge posted:

In my head dissemination and deconstruction have some abstract semantic similarity that involves spreading information out, but I could see dissertation too. They both end up in more or less the same place.

I wasn't sure about that word, but it felt okaish. I also considered dissertation, but the two seemed equal to me.
And I couldn't think of another word that gave me the same feeling. :shrug:
I never really associated deconstruction with critical analysis for some reason. May be my non English speaking fail or the word has been contaminated by TVTropes.

The abstractness that the dr subterfuge is referring to is very easy for me to trip over.

So just to set me straight, was it an improper use of the word?

And yes, that was the link. Thank you for finding it.