Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, I think the show is just trying to do to the viewers what the cases are doing to the detectives. Make you paranoid and apprehensive about the behavior of people. I seriously doubt you’ll ever see Holden or Tench go that route as the show is still based on real people and events. The reason they’ve renamed them is to dramatize and consolidate stories. So that for instance more interesting events that happened to Ressler in real life can be attributed to Ford in the show such as the some of the stuff with Kemper.

Also Douglas is a creative consultant on this show and is not a fan of the Thomas Harris stuff at all because of how inaccurate it is and has said the thing that drew him to this show was the promise of following his book, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up for things going in that direction.

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I think it's much less Holden is a psychopath and more the danger of this sort of work. It gets under your skin. They're just showing us in both our leads the different ways it can do that.

Holden is a very empathetic person, I think, despite him being so socially awkward. He isn't like Will Graham jacked to 11 levels of empathy, but he certainly connects to the killers in a way Tench can't or simply won't. Nothing more than that imo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Everybody is complaining about the Psycho Killer song, but clearly the worst musical decision was in the fifth or sixth episode. They played the entire intro to Baker Street over some conversation, and then cut out literally the very moment before it launches into the sax part. That left me irritated for the entire episode. :colbert:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

life is killing me posted:

How does that compare at all with a man tickling the feet of children not related to him (and who are under his authority) and not seeing why it's such a big deal?

Old people set in their ways thinking they're always right because they're older(and thus know best) is not a new phenomenon

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

Also Douglas is a creative consultant on this show and is not a fan of the Thomas Harris stuff at all because of how inaccurate it is and has said the thing that drew him to this show was the promise of following his book, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up for things going in that direction.

If Douglas doesn't like things being inaccurate, he should probably revise that whole criminal profiling thing.

It's a great show, but profiling is bunk and Douglas played a pretty key role in at least one person (Guy Paul Morin) being wrongfully convicted.

That said, his Crime Classification Manual is a pretty great reference book for assigning specific qualities to crime and the case studies are interesting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

One of my favorite things on the blurays for Fincher's films are the VFX reels because Fincher does some of the best and most detail oriented VFX stuff of any director. This reel does not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di4Byf1EzRE

The attention to detail on the last one really drove home because I don't think anyone in the world would have noticed that except David Fincher.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 27, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

X-O posted:

The attention to detail on the last one really drove home because I don't think anyone in the world would have noticed that except David Fincher.

When they CG the curb :vince:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A couple of times I was struck by "shouldn't we be able to see the dolly track?" and now I know why!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here are similar VFX breakdowns for Zodiac and The Girl WIth The Dragon Tattoo. Fincher's pretty awesome with subtle digital effects stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZS8OVyVr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvnYfjBqslY

E: And Gone Girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwS_E91fZA

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 27, 2017

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

precision posted:

While this might be particularly sad right now, I think it's probably been true of even some "good" Presidents. Serial killers are so dangerous usually because they're so smart.

No they aren't.

My problem with the protagonist is basically how he's like ahhh yes, I have read the sparknotes for ~whatever~ now I am an expert and can apply these ridiculous profiles to catch the bad guy. And then it keeps working. gently caress him.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 27, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KyloWinter posted:

No they aren't

Yeah, typically they get away for so long because they have no personal connection to the victim, which makes even narrowing things down difficult. The Kemper types are few and far between.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

No they aren't.

My problem with the protagonist is basically how he's like ahhh yes, I have read the sparknotes for ~whatever~ now I am an expert and can apply these ridiculous profiles to catch the bad guy. And then it keeps working. gently caress him.
I kinda liked how the show sometimes criticize Holden for this:
:smuggo:I caught the bad guy because of my awesome profiling skills!
:rolleyes:No, you caught the bad guy because it's pretty obvious that the convicted rapist with easy access to the crime scene killed and raped the little girl.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I read and enjoyed Douglas' books and enjoyed the first season very much.

Also, having been in my late teens during the years the show takes place, I can say that they nailed the period perfectly.

Bummed that I'm probably going to have to wait at least a year for Season 2. :(

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Here are similar VFX breakdowns for Zodiac and The Girl WIth The Dragon Tattoo. Fincher's pretty awesome with subtle digital effects stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZS8OVyVr4
*snip*

I haven't watched Zodiac for a couple of years, but looking just at the VFX in comparison to Mindhunter, it feels so videogamey, like its Sin City or something.

I wonder how much of David Fincher's getting away with unnoticeable VFX is down to his utilization of super-mechanical camera movements.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Matinee posted:

I wonder how much of David Fincher's getting away with unnoticeable VFX is down to his utilization of super-mechanical camera movements.

From a post-production standpoint, it for sure helps. Dolly shots or steadicam are way easier to track, so given most of these composited elements are trees or a new curb or something, getting the geometry of the shot right is one of the make-or-break parts.

Tons of handheld would be a real challenge both because of how hard it is to reproduce those movements in post, and because directors who use a ton of handheld might also have more shots overall, a more "cutty" style. A 30-second dolly shot that's been storyboarded up the rear end is way easier to sort out.

(For context, I don't do feature VFX or anything, but I do work in motion graphics and have done a fair amount of compositing work. The more planning that went into production, the better the result in post pretty much every time.)

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Groovelord Neato posted:

heh. i meant serial killers. the vast majority are of average or sub average intelligence. ed kemper is the only one off the top of my head that had/had a genius level intellect

ted bundy for sure

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bundy was mostly lucky and was charismatic. the guy was dumb enough to fill his apartment with stolen poo poo to the point his gf noticed.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Groovelord Neato posted:

heh. i meant serial killers. the vast majority are of average or sub average intelligence. ed kemper is the only one off the top of my head that had/had a genius level intellect and even he had menial jobs like the dennis raders and gary ridgeways.

Ted Kaczynski (aka Unabomber) is probably the smartest and if it wasn't for his brother going to the FBI there's a good choice he wouldn't of been caught. But he didn't kill the same way or the reasons like the 3 you mentioned.

I would consider being a doctor above average so I would add in Harold Shipman who was found guilty of 15 murders but could have killed 250 of his patients. Going with another doctor would be HH Holmes.

While only having 1 victim, Leopold and Loeb would mention. They basically killed a kid to prove how smart they actually were but a pair of glasses fell out of Leopold's pocket and led to the two of them.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I like the theory about the cat dying by a future serial killer in the making.

And the look of this show is classic David Fincher. That man can make an office look mesmerizing.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's surreal to me how the actor who plays Bill Tench is the same guy from Alien 3 who tried to rape Ripley:

Keeping in touch with David Fincher this whole time definitely paid off for him.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He was a space monkey in Fight Club too. He's the "In death, a member of Project Mayhem, has a name." guy.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 1, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ah holy poo poo, I knew he looked familiar.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Have you guys seen the movie Mindhunters?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it's 10 little indians/and then there were none directed by renny harlin and starring ladies love cool james.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just binged this whole thing. loving great, start to finish. Especially liked the dude playing Kemper, so drat creepy.

I like that they never directly revealed who the alt-story proto serial killer was, but when you realize who it is it's a mindfuck.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just binged this whole thing. loving great, start to finish. Especially liked the dude playing Kemper, so drat creepy.

I like that they never directly revealed who the alt-story proto serial killer was, but when you realize who it is it's a mindfuck.

If you know your serial killers it's pretty obvious who he is as soon as the screen says it's in Kansas.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you know your serial killers

Who's your favorite serial killer?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

viral spiral posted:

You've never heard of him.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

You've never heard of him.

I'm quoting his post here, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

viral spiral posted:

I've actually had someone I kinda liked as a person ask me this and I was like dude.... that's a loving weird rear end question to ask anyone.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

precision posted:

Also, all of this:

So you can see why it made sense for lots of reasons to use that song.

You're, like, formally citing that the association between the abstract of Psycho Killer and actual literal serial killers already exists in everyone's minds as a defence against it being irritatingly redundant. That's before we get into how much it's already been used to the same end, usually for broad comedic purpose, precisely because it's recognisable and obvious. When Spike Lee put it in Summer of Sam it at least worked as thematic glue for 1977 New York and his subjects, Berkowitz and the CBGB early punk/new-wave scene.

Good jukebox-soundtrack selection typically modifies a scene through interplay and innovation. To take one example from Zodiac, setting the first murder scene to Hurdy Gurdy Man meshes the ethereality of the song with the haunting facelessness of the killer, and sets the pacificity of the lyrics off against the violence. In Mindhunter we get nothing. It's actually even worse to put it over the credits because there's nothing for it to play against save the viewer's sense of having just watched a show about investigating the mindset of serial killers, whereas at least over a montage it might have been funny.

Postscript this series should have just been 15 minute shorts of the interview sequences and it's frustrating how streaming services like Netflix won't grow some balls instead of trying to reconstitute everything into television-shaped mind-gruel

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've actually had someone I kinda liked as a person ask me this and I was like dude.... that's a loving weird rear end question to ask anyone.

If a girl asked me that, I'd know we're probably going to work tbh.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why? Serial killers have been quite popular in pop culture for decades. This is America dude lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've been "into" serial killers for years but i hate them all. some more than others. i probably hate william bonin the most.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Personally I'm preferential to William Bonless.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm partial to Willam Belli, the Aileen Wuornos of Drag.

Also I'm partial to Aileen. I don't think I have a 'favourite' serial killer, they're all fascinating.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wuornos is boring apart from being a woman serial killer that killed violently (since they usually poison and poo poo). her brain turned to mush in prison, was pretty sad to see.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Her interviews and stories are fascinating, but yeah her tale is more depressing than anything, really.

She was more of a thief who killed the people she robbed than a calculated killer too so she's kind of an edge case imo.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've been "into" serial killers for years but i hate them all. some more than others. i probably hate william bonin the most.

Wait until this guy appears in the show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

psh as if i don't know about the green river killer. heck i remember when we still didn't know who it was.

i dunno how the show is going to do btk and green river cuz they weren't found for decades. also because the profile of btk was wrong.

• Locked thread