Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Lobok posted:

I'm excited to see the new Thor movie because I expect he won't be using his hammer much and that's great because Hemsworth has never looked like he was holding a hammer that weighed more than a kilogram. I fully get that it'd be dangerous for an actor to be swinging around a cinderblock-on-a-stick but as it is Mjolnir looks like a toy.

Well if there's too much weight you lose power on the swing, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

got any sevens posted:

They're doing Phoenix saga again?

Thor hammer: i saw on youtube a post-credit vid of his hammer flying away after Asgard is fully destroyed...

Does not happen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Taika Waititi revealed that there is a DC movie crossover in Thor Ragnarok: the Shake Weight that appears early in the movie was the same one he bought while he was acting in Green Lantern.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So has this JL clip been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXKVU2K1OJo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McCloud posted:

Christ, Elfman's poo poo feels so out of place.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timby posted:

Oh good, so it wasn't just me.

It feels so fanservice-y and really jarring somehow

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

McCloud posted:

Aw, man. Why are they doing growling Batman voice again?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Timby posted:

I don't know, I mean that Burton Batman motif was probably the greatest piece of music every put to film in the history of super hero films forever. The old stuff is so much better than this new garbage. They should just remake the old stuff instead of making new things. New things are bad. Interpretations other than mine are wrong and terrible!

Those comments are depressing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BiggerBoat posted:

Aw, man. Why are they doing growling Batman voice again?

Isn't that just the voice modulator thing from BvS?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Isn't that just the voice modulator thing from BvS?

It is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't think any of the various Batman voices we've gotten on screen have been particularly bad, but what are people's preferences?
So for major ones we've had:

Adam West - doesn't change anything about his performance as Bruce or Batman but it's perfect for what he's in. A national treasure.

Michael Keaton - Comes off as a quirky mumbler as Bruce, is mostly silent as Batman, says whatever he does say as a low and fast whisper. Except for the get wild scene which is part of why that stood out so much and was amazing.

Kevin Conroy - Plays a more buffoon-ish and jovial Bruce most of the time. Goes measured and dominant as Batman. He's consistently commanding which is pretty impressive, and was one of the things that let them make the show feel super intense despite being a kids' show. Whenever Batman gets shaken by anything it's a great way to make a situation dangerous or scary while still working within the understandable content confines of a show made for small kids. Watching it with this in mind you can see how much the show's direction is built around these moments where the "oh poo poo" moment isn't that a thing happened but that a bad thing has happened that has Batman temporarily flummoxed.

Val Kilmer - In retrospect he makes a really good Bruce Wayne, his Batman voice is basically the same person trying to sound intimidating, doesn't leave much of an impact but works fine.

George Clooney - Clooney goes for a dour Bruce but a confidant and enjoying himself Batman. Like Kilmer though he's not super memorable but it fits for how campy a movie they were going for.

Christian Bale - Goes for a typical billionaire douchebag as Bruce. His Batman voice, well, I like it a lot in concept. More animalistic, everything's a short loud growl, but the movies' stories and scripts stretch that a bit since they give him points where he has to stand around and talk about weaponized hallucinogenic toxins and so on. In The Dark Knight this was used to make Batman appear ineffectual but other times it really didn't work for me. A relentless predator kind of Batman would have been a perfect fit for the sleeker suit they had in The Dark Knight too. But as plenty of people have noted he ended up being a little too talky so it comes off as a bad Clint Eastwood impression at times.

Ben Affleck - I was in the camp that thought Affleck was a bad pick but was proven wrong, he's really good! We don't really get "his" voice as Batman though because of the modulation effect. I'm not a fan of it honestly, but at the same time I understand why it's needed since surveillance technology is always a massive part of Batman's stories, and with the level of stuff we see in BvS if Batman's voice got recorded at all it would be known he was Bruce Wayne in like two seconds. Despite that, while Snyder likes to do big operatic stuff the voice was almost overkill to me outside of the nightmare scene. Like it's a voice that would go great with the Gotham we see in Batman Begins or the bleak winter skyscraper hellscape of Mask of the Phantasm's first act.

Speaking of the take on Gotham effecting what I think of the voice, unrelated but I hate the NYC location they picked for The Dark Knight Rises. I understand why they shot where they did thematically (and logistically), just, they were literally five blocks away from the area that has a mix of gothic revival churches and tons of gargoyles next to buildings from the late 1800s next to super slick skyscrapers. Like how are you going to get $$$$$ to make a Batman movie, actually get everything sorted out to film in NYC, get that close, and not shoot there.

:) This little guy shows up as a supernatural serial killer in one of the earliest appearances of another character that got his start as a noir-meets-gothic horror story, The Spectre.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 5, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

Ezra's facial expressions match my own while watching this.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

McCloud posted:

Isn't it too early for the MTV awards parody? All that's missing is the laughs in the background.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Man that clip is really upsetting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've come to the conclusion i love the DC films cuz they bring suffering to comic book fans/people who actually like comic book movies

I hope all your childhoods "die"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Reminder that's the scene that they flew over a bunch of internet writers to see being filmed so they could go back and say "THEY ARE DOING FUNNY IN THE MOVIE PEOPLE ARE SMILING AND MAKING JOKES IT'S GONNA BE OKAY" because they freaked over the reaction to BvS.

Not that Danny Elfman going "remember my Batman theme?" and following it up with aural wallpaper helps any

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I've come to the conclusion i love the DC films cuz they bring suffering to comic book fans/people who actually like comic book movies

I hate them and I've never read a DC comic book.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I blame Marvel and Whedon for DC. But I liked the DC films up before WW better.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I hate them and I've never read a DC comic book.
I included "people who actually like comic book movies"
Count it!

Well whatever it ruins I'm glad. I find the industry fascinating in the most morbid and disgusting way and hope the bubble bursts asap vvvvvvv

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My childhood won't be ruined in the slightest.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Imo the scene was fine, it was the batman theme that was jarring, because you know it was tossed in there for fan service.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
BASICALLY Zack Snyder and Michael Bay are doing god's work and if I were president (of uhhh...show business?) they'd get to adapt every single children's cartoon/nostalgia property that ever existed
ALL the better when their movies bomb. Kill the cgi-fueled Comic book/genre fiction movie monster

Please don't confuse me as a fan of any movies mentioned itt other than Darkman and Meteor Man u weirdo vvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 5, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC fans gettin riled up itt

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't turn this into a dumb DC vs Marvel thing ugh

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

McCloud posted:

The tonal whiplash between MoS, BvS and this movie reeks of desparation.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

McCloud posted:

Imo the scene was fine, it was the batman theme that was jarring, because you know it was tossed in there for fan service.

Yeah my exact thought.

CelticPredator posted:

DC fans gettin riled up itt

I don’t claim Punkin Spunkin

Guy A. Person posted:

Don't turn this into a dumb DC vs Marvel thing ugh

Several decades too late, man.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Someone please take that clip and add in the 60's Batman theme where the dumb 89' fanservice hits. It'll have the same effect but at least it'll be funny instead of sad and desperate.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Who decided that a flap of plastic was more important than seeing an iconic Batman pose :argh:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zack Snyder

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Someone please take that clip and add in the 60's Batman theme where the dumb 89' fanservice hits. It'll have the same effect but at least it'll be funny instead of sad and desperate.

That's supposedly already in the movie - a Joss reshoot bit where Barry hops in the Batmobile and hums the 60s theme as he pretends to drive it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Renoistic posted:

The tonal whiplash between MoS, BvS and this movie reeks of desparation.

So like all the DC movies this decade

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You’re such a bad rear end

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My childhood is fine. It had good cartoons and good movies. It's my adulthood that sucks

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Super Fan posted:

You’re such a bad rear end
I'M BATMAN

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

/

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I hate all comic book movies and hope they die!

(has nine pages of posts in the comic book movie thread)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm ready for a Batman with a seven foot wingspan. He'd catch alllll the bats.

Super Fan posted:

I hate all comic book movies and hope they die!

(has nine pages of posts in the comic book movie thread)
yes because there are no other threads full of people posting about things they don't like.

batman says reading is fun

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I find the industry fascinating in the most morbid and disgusting way and hope the bubble bursts asap

lol I'm sorry my not liking comic book movies and still posting here is bothering you so much my dude vvvvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 5, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I want all comic book movies to do well because it makes Punkin Spunkin sad

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Starting to kind of like Flash in these JL previews. The rest worries me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't know what people's beef with his suit is either, I think it's looking real good, especially in motion. Like the texture and silhouette a lot.

• Locked thread