Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Y2J is going to Japan what the fuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

yeah, this is not the card I was predicting a few months hours ago.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/927151078079991808

Already a hell of a card, and Suzuki still needs a challenger, plus stuff for a bunch of other guys to do unless they want the most star-studded New Japan Rumble ever

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I really hope it’s Ishii getting a shot at Suzuki but it probably isn’t :sigh:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What else is forgotten so far - Heavyweight Tag title match, NEVER title match, NEVER trios match are all ones you’d have to imagine are there. ROH title match possibly? Another separate grudge match or gimmick match of some kind? Any chance they do one of the Tag or trios matches as multi-team (prob for trios IMO).

In any case I have tickets and I’m excited :3:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

They could potentially have Zack defend his British Heavyweight title assuming he doesn't drop it to Ospreay to have another singles match on the card.

Maybe Cody vs. Kota for the ROH title to build towards the Kenny/Kota match that surely has to happen at some point.

Probably another gauntlet for the trios.

Hopefully Ishii/Suzuki for the NEVER title, but I'd be happy with Juice getting to dethrone Suzuki too.

No idea for the tag but if they do Ishii/Suzuki, then I'd throw Goto & YOSHI-HASHI out as potential challengers. I assume they'll release the list of World Tag League participants fairly soon, so we'll have a better idea then.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Well, I'm already 1/1. Cody has challenged Ibushi

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/927180316283879424

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spuckuk posted:

Omega vs Jericho at wrestle Kingdom! Fuuuck

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I searched Twitter for ヒロム 内藤 キッス to find out how the fans in Japan feel about the real news of the show, Hiromu and Naito's INDIRECT KISS
https://twitter.com/r_saber/status/927102490092355584
https://twitter.com/omixart/status/927102997963800576

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jericho vs. Omega holy poo poo :stare:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I was asleep after the show but didn't see the Cody/Ibushi thing comig at all

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cody/Kota makes sense. Not only for Kota/Kenny but also for Cody/Kenny

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The interesting thing is if Jericho's one-and-done, or if he wins the belt and then drops it back in March in Long Beach. Jericho and Omega both appearing would be a hell of a draw for the March show. (And it could still let him pull a Hardy move and work Wrestlemania if he wants the feather of working both WM and WK in the same year)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 5, 2017

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Still trying to figure how Jericho's WWE obligations are letting him do this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Jericho doesn't sign long-term these days, does he? If he's off touring with Fozzy, he's not under an active contract, I assume, which means he's technically been free to take other wrestling bookings, he just doesn't normally.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

coconono posted:

His WWE contract expired a while ago, he's basically free to do whatever he wants right now (up to and including booking a wrestling cruise show).

At any rate this almost certainly rules him out of the Rumble/Mania season.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I figured he was under some kind of "do whatever you want, just don't go wrestle somewhere else" deal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm actually fairly sure his last WWE match wasn't under contract, he just happened to be in town, so they asked him to work the show (and then changed the match because of the hosed-up finish between KO and AJ at the PPV)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm sure dave will fill us in tomorrow but i'm curious as well.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jericho signs short term month deals when he feels like working house shows and that's been his thing for a while

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oatgan posted:

Jericho signs short term month deals when he feels like working house shows and that's been his thing for a while

Yeah, his last contracted appearance was that SD where he was hurt with the chair by Owens. The recent SD he did was a one time only thing

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I'm still in shock over Y2J in New Japan what the heck

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I saw the news before I saw the show, and I briefly wondered about his entrance, and then seeing the angle made it pretty obvious, the background music for the video sure sounded like Judas by Fozzy, so I assume he's going to use that as his entrance music, and the countdown was just different enough that I think WWE would have a hard time objecting.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wonder if they're going to free up more overseas tickets for Wrestle Kingdom now cause drat that's a ticket selling match to add to an already ticket selling match of Naito vs Okada

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

oatgan posted:

It's this, he's about as close to a freelancer as Vince will ever allow outside of local talent. He knows he can trust Jericho to come in for a few months of TV if need be to put someone over, which most years ends up being through Rumble to Mania, or to pop house show attendance here and there.

I would assume coordinating the cruise next year probably creates scheduling issues for doing the Mania build, but Chris still wants to do some big-stage wrestling and some combination of Gedo/Jado/Don/Kenny said "why not work the Dome".

vvv Not so much Devitt as the Bucks kicked him out to make way for AJ, but yeah it seemed real bad when Styles and Nak walked since that was two of their top four guys. There was a few other guys who were offered contracts too who turned the offers down, weren't there? I know Fale was one.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Remember when it seemed kinda bleak for NJPW because they lost Nakamura, Devitt and The Good Brothers?

Seems forever ago now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Remember when it seemed kinda bleak for NJPW because they lost Nakamura, Devitt and The Good Brothers?

Seems forever ago now.

Well, Devitt did leave 4 years ago. It's also amazing that AJ Styles did nothing for like 3 years after leaving TNA and before WWE...

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Let me assure you Jericho isn't under contract and WWE isn't getting anything in return.

I assume Chris has Vince's blessing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Well I can't say that we saw Jericho as a Wrassle Kingdome participant...

So here's what we know for the Dome and what we think:

IWGP: Okada (c) vs. Naito
IC: Tanahashi (c) vs. White
US: Omega (c) vs. Jericho
Jr.: Scurll (c) vs. KUSHIDA vs. Ospready vs. Hiromu
Jr. Tag: R3K (c) vs. Young Bucks
ROH: Cody (c) vs. Ibushi

Tag: KES (c) vs. War Machine
NEVER: MiSu (c) vs. Ishii
Trios: LIJ (c) vs. GoD/Leo Tonga

Couple multi-man tags to try and get everyone on the card? Names who don't have a natural fit are Goto, ZSJ, BIG MIKE, Fale, YTR, Super69, etc...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jericho is an absolutely fascinating person, he's always been an interesting mix of old school and modern wrestler and the type of guy who feels like he can fit in/work just about anywhere. He's one of those guys who just seems to get how to handle Vince (I think it was him who instructed Kofi to go pick a fight with Vince in order to gain his respect? And it worked!) and I wouldn't be surprised at all if this ends up not affecting his relationship with WWE in the slightest.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, Chris absolutely seems like the type who informed Vince of him going there at least after signing the contract, if not before

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just FYI, the way Tanahashi and Kota played after the match made it seem very much like a senpai/kohai, big brother/younger brother thing. As in Ibushi got a bit uppity and tried to challenge the bigger brother, and he had to get a bit mean, but afterwards was supportive - "You'll get it next time" promo from Tanahashi, and calling Ibushi back to the ramp for it - especially coming through with Ibushi snapping off some bows to Tanahashi and the crowd.

And then the Switchblade video kicked in, and we see a young boy coming back. Amazing that Jay White could cover up the rocket on his back with all that leather.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
jay white still looks like a baby teen but i like the anime greaser look
good for him getting this kind of a match this early

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Man after the Jericho thing I actually thought against all common sense that the commentary might be foreshadowing an Ibushi vs. Nakamura IC match for WK and I'm a bit disappointed it didn't happen.

Also, that sliding rope-assisted German by Trent is the coolest new move I've seen since Matanza debuted.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 5, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It'll be interesting if Jericho's podcast reach does anything for business. TNA's attempt to leverage podcast listeners into viewers didn't work, but this is an actual relevant modern star with a large weekly audience on top of it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

harperdc posted:

Just FYI, the way Tanahashi and Kota played after the match made it seem very much like a senpai/kohai, big brother/younger brother thing. As in Ibushi got a bit uppity and tried to challenge the bigger brother, and he had to get a bit mean, but afterwards was supportive - "You'll get it next time" promo from Tanahashi, and calling Ibushi back to the ramp for it - especially coming through with Ibushi snapping off some bows to Tanahashi and the crowd.

Tana made reference to this idea on his podcast - that he wanted Ibushi to "grow up" and be the potential Ibushi the crowd sees and is cheering for and not the current Ibushi who just floats through life, that was his goal in this match.

Basically similar to the things he said about Shibata, which is probably why the post-match there felt very much like the post-match to that big blowoff match those two had a couple years back.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i saw the Omega v Jericho post earlier before I started watching and went lol nah must be about their twitter nonsense. Then I saw the countdown and marked :stare:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Cameo posted:

Tana made reference to this idea on his podcast - that he wanted Ibushi to "grow up" and be the potential Ibushi the crowd sees and is cheering for and not the current Ibushi who just floats through life, that was his goal in this match.

Basically similar to the things he said about Shibata, which is probably why the post-match there felt very much like the post-match to that big blowoff match those two had a couple years back.
I don't think anyone "Floats around" as much as Ibushi does in Japan

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
i really hope jericho comes out to his wcw theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Cameo posted:

I think wanting Ibushi to 'grow up' and stop being this strange wrestle man who disappears every so often and just kinda does what he wants is maybe a futile affair. I hope he does stick around a while though because he's my favourite and I want to see an Omega Ibushi program already.

• Locked thread