Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure this was posted yet or not

https://youtu.be/jHbI_B2sPA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Knipex dykes, worth double over channellock or Irwin?

casque
Mar 17, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Knipex dykes, worth double over channellock or Irwin?

Yes!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

That’s enough confidence for me, plus 30 isn’t really that much more than 15

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

always be closing posted:

So here's my toolbox situation, and I want to fill it up. I've got a 200 something piece Craftsman in the molded case on the floor, and I could use that, just am worried that maybe I should keep that together to have something to grab quickly with all 3/8s sockets and poo poo.

So I was thinking of grabbing the HF 301 piece set. What Id like a recommendation on is socket organizers(3/8+1/2), and suggestions on laying out the drawers.

So, uh I did almost exactly what you're planning on, and found that the trays from the 301pc set make good drawer organizers on their own:

angryrobots posted:

So the 301 piece mechanics tool set at harbor freight. I'm sure most of you get the coupon books and are familiar. Goes on sale regularly for $159.

I picked it up to flesh back out my old craftsman set that is very used and missing sockets. Besides the first impression that the ratchets are actually really nice (at least they are far better than the craftsman) and the sockets are all six point, an unexpected side bonus is that the two middle trays fit perfectly in two drawers of my (also craftsman, it was a CL steal) tool chest:

And for the bottom section, I trimmed it out with an oscillating cutter and it fits as well:

So I'm pretty happy to finally have an organized tool box. Every slot is labeled, even. The top section with the screwdrivers and hand tools, I dunno if it's worth taking up a whole drawer in my box (the pliers are junk) but could do the same with it if you wanted to.

HF also sells socket drawer organizers that are pretty cost effective if you decide against the mechanics set. The page should recommend some other "customers were also interested in" drawer organizers as well.

The first picture I posted, the tray with their crappy wrenches....Yeah I'll probably eventually cut off the wrench organizer as well because they're basically garbage and I can use that space better, but the remaining torx/hex holder is very handy and I use those often. I use the two socket trays all the time and they're holding up well.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 31, 2017

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Knipex anything is worth it in my experience. I love their flush cutters. Great tweezers too.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Knipex makes the only other lineman's pliers that I would consider using other than Klein's too. They make good stuff.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I can't think of a single Knipex item I have that isn't skookum as frig.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

angryrobots posted:

So, uh I did almost exactly what you're planning on, and found that the trays from the 301pc set make good drawer organizers on their own:

Awesome, thanks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I was watching one of those Cops-type programmes and they stopped a dodgy character with a van full of power tools that they suspected were stolen.

Eventually, they identified the tools as the owner had stuck a paper visitor's pass on one of the tool boxes and they were able to trace his name as someone who had reported a tool theft that night, albeit outside of the police force's operating region.

Without that random sticker, they wouldn't have been able to prove that the tools were stolen or return them to the owner. It crossed my mind that it's probably a good idea to mark all your power tools/tool chests and I was wondering who here did that and how.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was looking around for a harmonic balancer installer and came across a tool selling some hardware.

https://www.lsxinnovations.com/product/ls-harmonic-balancer-install-tool/

On sale!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That looks a lot like the tool I made to help push stuck rotors off your axle. I didn't know I could sell it!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering that GM's method is to use the original bolt, which won't have enough thread engagement to hold up reliably when the work gets hard... I'll take it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
There's an M16-2.0 adapter in the autozone balancer installer kit; is there some reason that won't fit/work? I don't remember the particulars of the crank pulley dimensions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe, I've never looked at that kit in particular. As long as it threads into the crank solidly before it has to start pushing the balancer on, it should be fine.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll just borrow one from O'Reilly's when I need it. $45 deposit, you buy it if it's not back in 48 hours.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

I'll just borrow one from O'Reilly's when I need it. $45 deposit, you buy it if it's not back in 48 hours.

Nah, you can still return it. About the only thing we actually ask for/care about is you bring it back to the store you got it from for various reasons.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Denmah just propane torches the hub of the balancer until it can barely be held (iirc) and then slams it on in one clean motion, by hand. Then install the bolt. Thermal expansion is a hell of a thing. It's shown at just before 8 minutes into sura "assemble like rear end and install"

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Denmah just propane torches the hub of the balancer until it can barely be held (iirc) and then slams it on in one clean motion, by hand. Then install the bolt. Thermal expansion is a hell of a thing. It's shown at just before 8 minutes into sura "assemble like rear end and install"

how many 'BAP's on the air gun for proper torque?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Amazon is doing $25 off $100 for Makita tools and 30% off Dewalt among other deals.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=760330

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sat next to a member of the Black and Decker/Stanley executive team on a flight yesterday. Super nice guy and we started talking about the industry, painful demise (and outright death in Canada) of Sears, craftsman, etc. I asked him about the future of Craftsman since they bought that division. He was pretty candid and told me that the plan is looking increasingly likely that Craftsman will become a house brand for Lowes. They still have to make it for Sears until it is :rip: but I thought that was kind of interesting.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hm, interesting.

For me personally, I perceive Kobalt as a better value than craftsman at this point, but it's got major name recognition and could definitely be salvaged.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Would that mean that Craftsman warranty stuff would (eventually) be brought to lowes?
Kinda sad if Craftsman ended up being shuttered. I'd guess that pretty much every AI goon in here managed to destroy something as a kid using their dad's Craftsman tools.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

slidebite posted:

Sat next to a member of the Black and Decker/Stanley executive team on a flight yesterday. Super nice guy and we started talking about the industry, painful demise (and outright death in Canada) of Sears, craftsman, etc. I asked him about the future of Craftsman since they bought that division. He was pretty candid and told me that the plan is looking increasingly likely that Craftsman will become a house brand for Lowes. They still have to make it for Sears until it is :rip: but I thought that was kind of interesting.

I've heard that Lowe's rumor. Did he talk about their USA plant they are building?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wesleywillis posted:

Would that mean that Craftsman warranty stuff would (eventually) be brought to lowes?
Kinda sad if Craftsman ended up being shuttered. I'd guess that pretty much every AI goon in here managed to destroy something as a kid using their dad's Craftsman tools.

Only if craftsman were sold in our country...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

wesleywillis posted:

It's my understanding that the warranties on hand tools will still be honoured but any power tools didn't have the lifetime warranty to begin with, and Sears-sold ones have no essentially no warranty at all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Colostomy Bag posted:

I've heard that Lowe's rumor. Did he talk about their USA plant they are building?
No, never came up and tbh I didn't know about it to ask.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Colostomy Bag posted:

It isn't a rumor anymore. They've announced that Lowe's will start selling Craftsman tools (late?) 2018, which is why they haven't started advertising it. The announcement also said that Lowe's will be keeping Kobalt. We'll see if that lasts long term, but I'm sure it would be nice to sell a brand that you have complete control over. My Lowe's buddies were thinking they were going to stop selling Husqvarna snowblowers when they brought in Ariens a while back, but now they just have to cram Ariens, Husqvarna, and Troy Bilt into the same amount of space so maybe the tool department will have to do the same thing?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any alternatives to consider before I go buy like 8 of the Home Depot ‘Commercial Electric’ LED shoplights for $40/each?

Right now I’ve only got two 4’ fluorescent fixtures covering 700sqft of garage space, and I’d like it bright enough to wax a car indoors.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

Any alternatives to consider before I go buy like 8 of the Home Depot ‘Commercial Electric’ LED shoplights for $40/each?

Right now I’ve only got two 4’ fluorescent fixtures covering 700sqft of garage space, and I’d like it bright enough to wax a car indoors.

Yes, the Costco ones are a perennial favorite, and a number of goons have done their garages in them with great results:

https://m.costco.com/Feit-Electric-4’-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2C-2-pack.product.100284402.html

I bought the previous version for my mudroom, and it is kickass

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yes, the Costco ones are a perennial favorite, and a number of goons have done their garages in them with great results:

https://m.costco.com/Feit-Electric-4’-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2C-2-pack.product.100284402.html

I bought the previous version for my mudroom, and it is kickass

Are these an online-only item? I can't figure out how to get the Costco website to show me whether something is actually available in store.

We borrowed my mother-in-law's card a while back and I Intended to buy some, but they were gone.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

eddiewalker posted:

Are these an online-only item? I can't figure out how to get the Costco website to show me whether something is actually available in store.

We borrowed my mother-in-law's card a while back and I Intended to buy some, but they were gone.

In my local Costco they have a big pallet of the LED tubes right now. They used to have a nice fixture that came with LED tubes pre-installed (and you could just hang right up and plug in and be all done) but I haven't seen them in stores in a couple months. I would bet they're eventually coming back. So if you already have fixtures check out the stores for tubes to pop in. If you don't have fixtures might want to wait a bit or buy the 2 pack of fixtures and lights they sell online: https://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-4%E2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2c-2-pack.product.100284402.html If you don't like them can always return to a nearby store with no hassle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Those Costco LEDs are sometimes in store, sometimes not. Best to go by it and take a peek.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am supposed to be getting 20 x T8 tubes mailed to me from an online vendor by Friday. If they are not in the mail it sounds like I need to stop by costco.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When those Costco LEDs were new it seems like they were often out of stock. These days it seems like there's always a pallet or two of them at the store.

Jack chat, specifically high lift / farm jacks: Is there any major reason to get a 42" or 48" high lift jack instead of a 36"? I can get any wheel of my WJ off the ground with about 20-21" of lift on level ground. I'm not seeing a whole lot of reason to get a longer one that will just be harder to store. It should be easier to keep in my Jeep instead of strapped to the roof, keeping it in better condition and less likely to be stolen.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

eddiewalker posted:

Have a look at the Hyperikon LED panels. I’ve got 2 of the 14k5 lumen units installed in my (700sf) garage with two more to install - it’s already like daylight in there so the additional two should be great for detail work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jack chat, specifically high lift / farm jacks: Is there any major reason to get a 42" or 48" high lift jack instead of a 36"? I can get any wheel of my WJ off the ground with about 20-21" of lift on level ground. I'm not seeing a whole lot of reason to get a longer one that will just be harder to store. It should be easier to keep in my Jeep instead of strapped to the roof, keeping it in better condition and less likely to be stolen.
More travel between resets if you use it as a winch, can't really think of much else.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Any recommendations for fuel transfer pump? My manual pump from HF went out before I could drain my equipment for the winter. I think maybe I want an electric one this time around..

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CloFan posted:

Any recommendations for fuel transfer pump? My manual pump from HF went out before I could drain my equipment for the winter. I think maybe I want an electric one this time around..

I use a regular hose to gravity siphon. Aiming a blow gun from an air compressor across the top of the hose like a hillbilly blowing on a jug creates suction through the venturi effect Bernoulli's principle and eliminates the need to prime the hose with your mouth :science:. If it doesn't work, cover most of the hose with your thumb while you blow air across the rest of the opening. Note: I'm describing this badly, but both the thumb and blow gun interact with the end you want gas to flow out of.

...Or just top up your equipment with gas/Sta-bil for the winter. Most people I deal with who have trouble getting their engines to start after storage put their stuff away after draining the tank or did nothing. The fuel stabilizer keeps your gas from turning to varnish (make sure it makes it into the carb first) and the full tank limits the tank breathing moisture every time the temperature changes. I've put both new and old engines away for up to two years with full tanks with no adverse effects, but sometimes I get some trouble with leaving the tank half full (or less) when I can't be bothered to pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I put Sta-bil in every time I fill my yard cans, even in July. Never have to worry. Everything always starts. Mower going on 15 years with nothing but oil changes.