Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sup, bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

if you're making tech figgies this is probably bad advice. just keep a line of credit around for emergencies. even if you need to wait for the stock selling window to open that's probably ten, twenty bucks of interest and in the meantime you can invest all that instead of letting it rot in a savings account.
I lost my job, better borrow a bunch of money to get by in the meantime what could go wrong [yes I know you could sell some stock if you're invested]

aaaaanyway, financial advice is like diet advice or dating advice there's general rules but everybody's different [everyone should support local arts though]

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
How should we apply cost of living to the equation. Surely by not using rent or housing prices or something important like that, perhaps burger prices?

Also six and a half figgies:
$150,000 or $500,000.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

wide stance posted:

How should we apply cost of living to the equation. Surely by not using rent or housing prices or something important like that, perhaps burger prices?

$150,000 or $500,000.

Fiedler posted:

Given a total annual compensation X, figgies are calculated as 1 + log(base 10) X.
Given figgies F, total annual compensation is calculated as 10 ^ (F - 1).

Also, we use the price of caffeinated beverages as the basis for the cost of living adjusted (COLA) figgies value.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i am drinking jesus

for a middle easterner you sure look like a white 70's disco dude.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

wide stance posted:

$150,000 or $500,000.

yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm a tiny cartoon character screaming disgusting obscenities in your ear at all times

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
nice to meet you

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm a... World War I catte flying ace or something? I dunno.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
i have four 401ks and i must scream

We should all withdraw our 401ks without paying taxes then buy yospos island and stage hunts of the most dangerous game: the predator vs. alien. One of them has a musket I think.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

roll 3 of them into vanguard?

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

wide stance posted:

i have four 401ks and i must scream

you can combine 401ks, pick one with low fees for a target date
most of them worth a crap will contact each provider for you to do the legwork of transferring funds

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can u gamble to get rich

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they say risk when young and conservative when old but surely there is evidence for this amongst all sorts of market variations?

so idea is.. that your funds might have turned to poo poo but coz youre young you have ample time to wait for them to return to glory, and it its still better than happened than if you kept them conserative?

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

can u gamble to get rich

*checks value of gamespy stock*

not sure op

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

can u gamble to get rich

i worked for a guy who got married, then he and his bride went to las vegas for the honeymoon. they get there, go out to dinner, see a show and whatnot, then get back to the hotel to retire for the evening. she goes up to the room, hubby says he'll be up in an hour, but he'd like to play some blackjack first.

hours pass. many hours. then he finally shows up at like 3 in the morning, and his bride is ANGRY. but then he's like "i just won $30,000 at the tables, i'm going to buy you a car." and they lived happily ever after

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw when you turn to yospos for finance 101

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

i worked for a guy who got married, then he and his bride went to las vegas for the honeymoon. they get there, go out to dinner, see a show and whatnot, then get back to the hotel to retire for the evening. she goes up to the room, hubby says he'll be up in an hour, but he'd like to play some blackjack first.

hours pass. many hours. then he finally shows up at like 3 in the morning, and his bride is ANGRY. but then he's like "i just won $30,000 at the tables, i'm going to buy you a car." and they lived happily ever after

this is like those stories when a teacher molests a child but then years later the teacher gets out of jail and then they get together and now everyone thinks "well maybe its not entirely bad when teachers molest students"

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
its exactly like that

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

echinopsis posted:

this is like those stories when a teacher molests a child but then years later the teacher gets out of jail and then they get together and now everyone thinks "well maybe its not entirely bad when teachers molest students"

their divorced now and it's super hosed up like any idiot could have told you it would be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that hits close to home brother wow

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

that hits close to home brother wow

stop whining

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

they say risk when young and conservative when old but surely there is evidence for this amongst all sorts of market variations?

so idea is.. that your funds might have turned to poo poo but coz youre young you have ample time to wait for them to return to glory, and it its still better than happened than if you kept them conserative?

if u have an investment that could gain e.g. 20% or lose 20% it's a lot better to do that when u won't need it for 40 years than when you don't have time to wait it out if it goes bad, so that's why you slowly trickle down your aggression so even if your investment goes bad you'll only lose e.g. 1% and you can still get enough money starting next year or w/e

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

stop whining

get a strong vibe from you that you think im a real piece of poo poo.. mate id like not to be

George
Nov 27, 2004

echi get your poo poo together your worth it

you touch a lot of lives here and were all pulling for you

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

get a strong vibe from you that you think im a real piece of poo poo.. mate id like not to be

Nah mate I just think you need a bit of a reality check

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol tell ya what separation is a big reality check

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i'd love a big check... lots of figgis on thwere

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bobbilljim posted:

i get a cheque, not a check, what's the conversion for metric figgies?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
what if you have eight figgies after the decimal place

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

1 metric figgie = approximately 1.16 US figgies

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 2, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

your nasty euro figgies are worthless. :(

George
Nov 27, 2004

now is a bad time to be in figgies sterling

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
but what of pleasure?

George
Nov 27, 2004

bad time for that too

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
dear figgies community

im thinking of buying an eames lounge chair for my (cheap) rental apartment. its like 5k. it looks good and im guessing it should have some resale value

im aware this makes me edible as per the latest yospos memes

please offer your thoughts (and prayers)

George
Nov 27, 2004

its always good to sit on a few figgies imo just in case

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

poty posted:

dear figgies community

im thinking of buying an eames lounge chair for my (cheap) rental apartment. its like 5k. it looks good and im guessing it should have some resale value

don't forget that it's recommended to spend about 10% of the cost of the chair on chair security. make sure you get a proper chair lock, not some piece of poo poo that anyone with a set of cutters can take in 30 seconds. no chair is unstealable, but you want yours to be enough trouble that thieves go on to the steelcase with the combo lock two chairs up. check your chair insurance policy too, many require at least silver rated chair locks or above or they won't pay out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

dear figgies community

just throw a brick through a random old looking house in palm springs and steal one. hth

• Locked thread