Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's also just a very easy way for me to have my movies on mobile. I did disc to digital on Vudu awhile ago for most of my movie collection that didn't have digital copies or to upgrade DVDs to HD cheaply. All the apps allow for offline access so it's super easy for me to pin a movie before a flight or while I'm on wifi to save data.

I could have just ripped them and encoded, but I really don't have the patience for that poo poo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like that it'll Chromecast. gently caress you Amazon and Apple.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheScott2K posted:

I like that it'll Chromecast. gently caress you Amazon and Apple.

That's very convenient for going to other people's houses. Virtually everyone I know has a Chromecast so I can carry my whole movie library with me to someone else's place with just my phone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have never purchased a movie through ITunes (but I do have an iTunes account). What is this about a 4K free upgrade?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you purchased movies in the past that are now available in 4K, you now have them in 4K.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I added ITunes. It shows a lot of movies as 4K but none of the movies are 4K on VUDU except Arrival.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HDHomerun Connect on sale for $70 w/ no tax outside NY/NJ. Free shipping too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018668-REG/silicondust_hdhr4_2us_hd_homerun_branded_atsc.html

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

FCKGW posted:

HDHomerun Connect on sale for $70 w/ no tax outside NY/NJ. Free shipping too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018668-REG/silicondust_hdhr4_2us_hd_homerun_branded_atsc.html

Godammit, why does it have to be a place i'm boycotting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Take it to Best Buy and have them price match. The tax is your cost of boycotting.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Matt Zerella posted:

2017.txt

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Take it to Best Buy and have them price match. The tax is your cost of boycotting.

I'm in NY, the tax is hitting me anyway. If forgot they price match, thanks!

While there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism they treat their warehouse workers like total poo poo and they're trying to unionize. I'm showing a wee bit of solidarity in my purchasing choices.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 23, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

As a side note, I buy way more poo poo at Best Buy now since they will price match almost anything and Amazon has basically eliminated any big electronics discounts and just matches everyone else's prices. I spent almost a grand on an iPad and all the accessories a few weeks ago, and they even honored a coupon after purchase that gave me like another $50 off even though they already got my money.

Good Job BBY.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FCKGW posted:

As a side note, I buy way more poo poo at Best Buy now since they will price match almost anything and Amazon has basically eliminated any big electronics discounts and just matches everyone else's prices. I spent almost a grand on an iPad and all the accessories a few weeks ago, and they even honored a coupon after purchase that gave me like another $50 off even though they already got my money.

Good Job BBY.

Weirdly, same. I bought my MacBook Pro there because they accept trade ins on old MacBooks there. Was completely painless, unlike dealing with them in the past.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Weirdly, same. I bought my MacBook Pro there because they accept trade ins on old MacBooks there. Was completely painless, unlike dealing with them in the past.

They had a pretty big push ~2013 to be more consumer friendly. They were getting eaten alive at the time, since then they've been a lot better.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is there any way to set up a Shield TV so that is uses the photos stored on a connected NAS as a screensaver? I'm trying to find an app that will do this (and connecting to Prime Photos would work too).

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there any way to set up a Shield TV so that is uses the photos stored on a connected NAS as a screensaver? I'm trying to find an app that will do this (and connecting to Prime Photos would work too).

I have an app that I believe is called Photo Gallery that works as slideshow screensaver. I don’t know if it will work with NAS, but right now I have it pulling images from my Flickr account to use as the screensaver.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tk posted:

I have an app that I believe is called Photo Gallery that works as slideshow screensaver. I don’t know if it will work with NAS, but right now I have it pulling images from my Flickr account to use as the screensaver.

Is it called Photo Gallery and Screensaver? Testing that now, and it looks like it works with local storage, but not NAS storage. But, it also has a Facebook option, so that's definitely better than nothing. Thanks!

Edit: Looks like it's $2.71 to unlock the screensaver mode or else you only get 50 pictures. I have 6000+ photos in my Facebook account, so this will work perfectly for my needs. Thanks again.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 26, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just curious has anyone gave Comcast's Instant Beta (streaming only) a spin yet? I got an email about for a free month earlier this month, but they don't have an AppleTV app yet (Roku only at this point). You have to have to Comcast internet, but it doesn't count against your data cap. I am curious how many channels you get the for the base price.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just read about that, I wonder if they’ll include it (or a lesser charge) if you do have cable tv with them. Having my channels on my Apple TV if they expand the app would be neat.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

nate fisher posted:

Just curious has anyone gave Comcast's Instant Beta (streaming only) a spin yet? I got an email about for a free month earlier this month, but they don't have an AppleTV app yet (Roku only at this point). You have to have to Comcast internet, but it doesn't count against your data cap. I am curious how many channels you get the for the base price.

I have it but I don’t think it’s set up properly. I pay for local only channels and that’s all I get on my main box but my secondary boxes get all of the channels except for pay channels like HBO. As far as my Comcast beta? It gets all of the channels too so I use that for my main TV if I’m going to use cable at all. As far as performance goes though it’s pretty stable, I think it glitched on me like once but I just had to reload.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Wow, nice update to psvue on Roku. A real guide!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Wow, nice update to psvue on Roku. A real guide!

apart from the guide how is the psvue interface? might consider switching back to roku if the balance of the psvue interface has been improved

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just started the YouTube TV free trial and it blows DirecTV now out of the water. A real DVR, no buffering so far, more locals, way better interface (though I wish there was a traditional guide).

You can really tell that DirecTV now prioritizes channels based on popularity. Locals and smaller national channels constantly buffer, but the big ones like HGTV never do.

I'll probably cancel both after the end of the YouTube TV trial, because the real lesson is that a lot of modern tv sucks and I probably shouldn't pay $35/month for a jeopardy dvr. I've held on to my intro rate dtv now account in the hopes that I'll get to watch the Mariners on it someday, but I'm close to giving up on that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Annual Prophet posted:

apart from the guide how is the psvue interface? might consider switching back to roku if the balance of the psvue interface has been improved

It's pretty straightforward. Hitting back arrow twice from a live show brings up a simple text menu in the top left for guide/my shows/search/settings.

There's more info on screen throughout - if you're browsing your shows for example, it'll show you which ones you've watched (with a progress bar), which ones you haven't watched yet, and the upcoming episode day/time.

Fast forward and rewind also show you time elapsed and length of the show now,too.

It had a pretty big overhaul, and I'm sure I missed a few things, but we really like it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

I just started the YouTube TV free trial and it blows DirecTV now out of the water. A real DVR, no buffering so far, more locals, way better interface (though I wish there was a traditional guide).

You can really tell that DirecTV now prioritizes channels based on popularity. Locals and smaller national channels constantly buffer, but the big ones like HGTV never do.

I'll probably cancel both after the end of the YouTube TV trial, because the real lesson is that a lot of modern tv sucks and I probably shouldn't pay $35/month for a jeopardy dvr. I've held on to my intro rate dtv now account in the hopes that I'll get to watch the Mariners on it someday, but I'm close to giving up on that.

I went from DirecTV Now, Hulu Live, to finally YouTube TV and I really like it as well. The DVR functionality works great, the on demand video is nice, and it has the channels I consider a necessity (mainly my local Fox Sports and FX, FXX). Plus they sent me a free Chromecast.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

YouTube TV update: the fox channel they show in Seattle isn't Seattle fox. It's some weird generic fox that's showing soccer instead of the Seahawks game. Weird. It's also practically impossible to pick up fox with an antenna downtown.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

YouTube TV update: the fox channel they show in Seattle isn't Seattle fox. It's some weird generic fox that's showing soccer instead of the Seahawks game. Weird. It's also practically impossible to pick up fox with an antenna downtown.

Can you use the login on Fox Sports Go to watch the game there? I’ve had the same problem with Sounders games on PSVue, but I can at least get Seahawks through Fox Sports Go.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tk posted:

Can you use the login on Fox Sports Go to watch the game there? I’ve had the same problem with Sounders games on PSVue, but I can at least get Seahawks through Fox Sports Go.

I'm curious as well, and until YouTube releases a native app for the AppleTV, I'd have to use the channel apps (I can always use AirPlay I suppose). I'm just curious if they work in general

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Been renting and paying the landlords for an extra cable box, but I'm about to move into a house an give PS Vue a try. I plan to eventually wire the house for proper ethernet everywhere, but should the wi-fi on Fios's 100/100 service do me well enough in the meantime? I know the requirements for smooth streaming video tend to be greatly overstated on the advertising end; just wondering if stuff like channel switching and overall UI experience might suffer before I get my wired situation sorted out.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Minidust posted:

Been renting and paying the landlords for an extra cable box, but I'm about to move into a house an give PS Vue a try. I plan to eventually wire the house for proper ethernet everywhere, but should the wi-fi on Fios's 100/100 service do me well enough in the meantime? I know the requirements for smooth streaming video tend to be greatly overstated on the advertising end; just wondering if stuff like channel switching and overall UI experience might suffer before I get my wired situation sorted out.

A good router/access point should be able to use every bit of that 100/100.
wifi is plenty fast

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

My Rokus got 8.0 while I was away on vacation. I turned on the adaptive refresh rate and watched Atomic Blonde stutter free last night. I am pleased.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
My PSVue Slim package renewed for another month at $29.99, so I'm not sure when they are planning to get rid of it and bump everyone to the $39.99 package.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

WarMECH posted:

My PSVue Slim package renewed for another month at $29.99, so I'm not sure when they are planning to get rid of it and bump everyone to the $39.99 package.

Was this in October or Nonmember? Mine renews on 11/26, and it currently tells me the amount is $44.99 ($29.99 package + $15 HBO). Fingers crossed.

I did try the Slingbox trial this weekend. I couldn't stand the way the app (on AppleTV) handles live tv and the guide in comparison to the Vue app. I canceled it within 24 hours, because I knew I would never switch to it. How does Hulu live TV app look? That said I heard you had to pay $15 extra to skip commercials on the DVR for Hulu, which seems insane to me.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else using a Roku TV? I just launched Hulu for the first time in a while and got the new experience. My biggest complaint is that any button on the remote causes Hulu to display the overlay like you'd see when you paused it. Want to change the volume? Here, enjoy having your picture darkened with options appearing on screen! I just tried it on my Roku Premiere Plus and the thankfully the volume key doesn't do it. However, if you unpause after the overlay from the pause has gone away, it pops back up over top of the picture, darkening the screen for a few seconds. Lame.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 16, 2017

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Was this in October or Nonmember? Mine renews on 11/26, and it currently tells me the amount is $44.99 ($29.99 package + $15 HBO). Fingers crossed.

I did try the Slingbox trial this weekend. I couldn't stand the way the app (on AppleTV) handles live tv and the guide in comparison to the Vue app. I canceled it within 24 hours, because I knew I would never switch to it. How does Hulu live TV app look? That said I heard you had to pay $15 extra to skip commercials on the DVR for Hulu, which seems insane to me.

Mine renewed on 11/13 for $29.99, I had logged on the day before to cancel due to the price hike but let it go since it hadn’t changed yet.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I have a FireTV and, aside from YouTube TV, all of the other major services(Hulu, Vue, Sling, and DTVN) have the channels that I'm looking for, so I should be set along with my OTA.

I've tested out Sling and DTV so far. It seems like Sling is more stable while DTVN seems to have better quality & interface. Before testing out Hulu and Vue, what people's experiences with any of the quality, stability or interfaces using these?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EconOutlines posted:

I have a FireTV and, aside from YouTube TV, all of the other major services(Hulu, Vue, Sling, and DTVN) have the channels that I'm looking for, so I should be set along with my OTA.

I've tested out Sling and DTV so far. It seems like Sling is more stable while DTVN seems to have better quality & interface. Before testing out Hulu and Vue, what people's experiences with any of the quality, stability or interfaces using these?

Vue is pretty drat stable. I've never had issues and the FireTV interface is pretty close to the AndroidTV/ShieldTV interface which is good. A small but killer feature for Vue is the "Quick Menu" feature which has a Last Channel function. Vue has the second best On Demand feature (Hulu has the best since that's what Hulu is at its core). The DVR is stupid simple and available on almost every channel but the premium add-ons. One thing DTVNow has over Vue is CBS Sports Network channel and some Viacom channels.

I've tried them all except for FuboTV, and out of all of them, I like Vue the best. DTVNow would be second. My parents have DTVNow on the FireTV (the only reason is because my mom needs Hallmark Mysteries and Movies channel).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I'm thinking of ditching Playstation Vue and going with Hulu's no commercials option. If I watch most of my stuff on DVR, is it a good option?

Feels like most football games I watch are on OTA or I can stream otherwise. Beyond that, I rarely if ever watch live TV.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I'm thinking of ditching Playstation Vue and going with Hulu's no commercials option. If I watch most of my stuff on DVR, is it a good option?

Feels like most football games I watch are on OTA or I can stream otherwise. Beyond that, I rarely if ever watch live TV.

Vue's got the best DVR right now as long as you're willing to watch poo poo within 4 weeks of air date. I'm honestly running a Vue + Hulu/no commercial setup right now and get like 90% of what I watch.

The interface for Vue is awful though so keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
From the video games thread:

Finally bought the second Shield a month ago, and it's worked great. Plugged in a FLIRC remote and a USB hard drive that I already had and it's very nice.