Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ventana posted:

I just feel like that's an entirely different argument than, "Well actually, Foxes don't naturally roll into balls in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvJAkv15Sw
A quick update to Sonic 3D

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I thought the videos length was no issue at all and would honestly have taken more detail if he were of the mind to give it. I mean I didn't agree with the Adventure takes either but I didn't really expect to.

I do have a tendency to ramble myself and I have a lot of time I can spend on watching long videos like this though, so I guess it is to be expected.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ventana posted:

edit: I'm finding a lot of issues on his Adventure 2 takes, but he is right that it makes *absolutely no sense* how Gerald Robotnik got the video of his last monologue and execution to somehow auto-play when the 7 emeralds started the colony collision protocol. The only people around on the ark was seemingly GUN, and they'd have no reason to set that poo poo up. A little too dissonant for what they were trying to pull there that it kinda distracts.

Holy poo poo. It's been over a decade and a half and this is the first time I've ever realized this. :downs:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

i feel like this is going to release and then everyone will remember that 3d blast kind of sucks rear end and it'll be kind of awkward

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

3D Blast is okay. I think it would have been looked on more fondly if it was a different IP other than Sonic.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Ventana posted:

edit: I'm finding a lot of issues on his Adventure 2 takes, but he is right that it makes *absolutely no sense* how Gerald Robotnik got the video of his last monologue and execution to somehow auto-play when the 7 emeralds started the colony collision protocol. The only people around on the ark was seemingly GUN, and they'd have no reason to set that poo poo up. A little too dissonant for what they were trying to pull there that it kinda distracts.

It makes no sense that he set up the revenge program in the first place, you see the cell all those calculations are done in on Prison Island.

I assume he programmed it using space magic to let his writing on the wall influence it, and at the point I'm invoking space magic 'automatically copy the execution journal' is perfectly reasonable.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Maybe... maybe he had an inside guy in GUN who set stuff up for him...?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Flytrap posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog was my favorite game in the franchise until Generations came out.

Get on my level of liking bad Sonic games, casuals. :shepicide:

I liked it less than SA2 but I still enjoy Shadow. The gameplay is pretty bad but the story is gloriously absurd and tries so hard to be edgy it's actually kind of adorable.

Plus he hacks a computer by punching it and that will always amuse me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Keiya posted:

I liked it less than SA2 but I still enjoy Shadow. The gameplay is pretty bad but the story is gloriously absurd and tries so hard to be edgy it's actually kind of adorable.

I like Shadow for similar reasons. Just remembering that that game was a real thing that was released always puts me in a good mood.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Holy poo poo. It's been over a decade and a half and this is the first time I've ever realized this. :downs:

Imo it's because the game tried to have an edgy dark visual to communicate things were getting hosed up, so that it wasn't just listening to Gerald's slow diary, and lumped it right next to the more plausible diary entry to hope nobody noticed. Which I have to say, is an okay attempt to cover a plothole.

Keiya posted:

It makes no sense that he set up the revenge program in the first place, you see the cell all those calculations are done in on Prison Island.

I assume he programmed it using space magic to let his writing on the wall influence it, and at the point I'm invoking space magic 'automatically copy the execution journal' is perfectly reasonable.

I always thought that the implication of the GUN robots being in the ark* was supposed to be that GUN saw and knew about the plans on the prison cell wall, and that they sent in their robots to slowly decommision the arc. As long as no one else knew it had a secret weapon, which no one seemed to for 50 years aside from a random journal entry of his.

*Beyond the development limitation of, they only had 2-3 enemy sets and didn't think Eggman's robots would fit on the ark

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Maybe... maybe he had an inside guy in GUN who set stuff up for him...?

1. If he did, then why did all of SA2 happen without him? Shouldn't the guy have known the plot and helped out Eggman? Or taken the GUN chaos emeralds for himself? This feels like one of those wild unfalsifiable theories; it's disconnected enough that you can't say it didn't happen, but there's not much there to prove it did, I think.

2. What if the inside guy...was Rouge? :tinfoil:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

3D Blast is okay. I think it would have been looked on more fondly if it was a different IP other than Sonic.

Yeah. It being released during a time when Sonic vs Mario was still a thing didn't help when it was going up against loving Super Mario 64. Mario's first 3D adventure was and still is one the best games ever made. Sonic's 3D blast was just embarrassing in comparison.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A lot of Nintendo's stuff around that era can still be classed as some of the best games ever made. Like even if they've since been superceded, if all other games were eradicated from existence, they would still be rock solid foundations for rebuilding game design theory.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Shoulda been a Ristar sequel tbh

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not every track is a winner, but when Forces is in point, it is on loving point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upyZwAVvxRE

G Cyrus
Mar 27, 2010

Ventana posted:

Gerald's revenge plan has a lot of plot holes when you start thinking about it : from how did he manage to send the video of his last words seconds before his execution, to when did he get the opportunity to program the A.R.K. to crash into Earth, and why he needed all the Chaos Emeralds to activate said program ?

You can come up with theories that could answer most of these questions, but the fact is that SA2's story kinda falls appart during its finale because the writers had to suddenly introduce a new threat that has to unite the good guys and bad guys and didn't take the time to properly explain how does it fit with the entire plot.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not every track is a winner, but when Forces is in point, it is on loving point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upyZwAVvxRE

Holy poo poo Sonic Team dropping the bombs with this OST. Also dropping the quality of the game but that was expected.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keiya posted:

Is there a video of this, because that's way better than anything involving a chaos emerald.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

G Cyrus posted:

and why he needed all the Chaos Emeralds to activate said program ?

Energy. Takes a lot of power to take an orbiting object and throw it into a straight freefall like what the Ark experienced.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Spiderdrake posted:

Is there a video of this, because that's way better than anything involving a chaos emerald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xHGC_kbP2U&t=43s

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My goons, I am right back on the Forces train; I'm gonna stick my headphones in on Tuesday and rock along with my main man Sonic all day long, or possibly from 2pm onwards given regional Steam release times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hL0eHplP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0syoxZOg5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbb25gEhRLI

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just spoiled myself to heck and back on Sonic Forces.

It looks bad. Very bad. I liked the boost gameplay a lot in Unleashed/Colors/Generations, but boy, this is what "press boost to win" means.

We're never getting a good final boss again, Sonic Colors was a fluke and a miracle. :smith: At least the reception to Forces, combined with the unstoppable praise for Mania, will probably guarantee more Whitehead games in the future.

Forces is doing an amazing thing making me really appreciate Unleashed. Even the QTEs are better in Unleashed. Hell, I need to actually see all sonic stages in forces, but there might be a case to say that the Jungle stage in unleashed is, length and gameplay-wise, longer than half or more of the Forces Sonic stages combined.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 5, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NM

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/TBSF_YT/status/927209586666258433

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That looks like the exact opposite of a mistake.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Apparently reviews have started coming out. Here's a quote from Jeremy Parish: "Unless your dearest dream has always been to play a Sonic game as your own original fan art character, Sonic Forces doesn't have much to offer."

Everyone, it has always been my dream to play a Sonic game as my original character. Sonic Forces is good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

No matter what happens at least Sonic games always have awesome soundtracks, no matter how bad the actual game is.

Except Sonic Chronicles. That poo poo was just a goddamn travesty in all aspects.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

No matter what happens at least Sonic games always have awesome soundtracks, no matter how bad the actual game is.

Except Sonic Chronicles. That poo poo was just a goddamn travesty in all aspects.

Both the 4 games were pretty bad too. And most of what I heard from Forces sounds like nothing special.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Both the 4 games were pretty bad too. And most of what I heard from Forces sounds like nothing special.

The Sonic Boom games have pretty forgettable soundtracks as well. On the other hand, the music was probably the best part of '06 (My Destiny and that weird remix of Sweet Dreams notwithstanding).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 6, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, 06 has a great soundtrack. I love His World.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Every Sonic game has a good soundtrack compared to this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOcYaPb3zDg

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hard Mode:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Every Sonic game has a good soundtrack compared to this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOcYaPb3zDg

Nightmare Mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o47N-aYd08

Genocide City Mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpglqYeQBc

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like that Chronicles has been completely excised from the series. It doesn't get a single cursory mention or nod anywhere and most people would completely forget it even exists, even if they were making a list of the worst Sonic games ever made.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I liked Sonic Chronicles. :shobon:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like that Chronicles has been completely excised from the series. It doesn't get a single cursory mention or nod anywhere and most people would completely forget it even exists, even if they were making a list of the worst Sonic games ever made.

Isn't it basically impossible to reference it in any way because it touched the poop of the Pender's echidna stuff before it all got excised?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

That looks like the exact opposite of a mistake.
Yeah, I kind of like it myself; just had to share it regardless.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

To be honest, Forces' soundtrack thus far has been kind of... poo poo? Kind of poo poo. Not Chronicles poo poo, but practically nothing has grabbed me, there's an overreliance on this cheap-sounding synth (I'm not averse to a good synth, but this doesn't strike me as one), and so many vocal songs (I mean, I know that's kind of a thing with the series - see Adventure 2 - but these aren't quite as deliciously cheesy). I'm just not feeling this one.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
my favourite tidbit of knowledge about chronicles was that they had like, event chao to be given out at in-person events that got cancelled after the first one due to poor attendance, so in the japanese version there were cheat codes to unlock them instead except for one Chao because the Chao had a game-breaking bug with its combat effect, so instead of fixing the bug they just took out the means to get the Chao.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

To be honest, Forces' soundtrack thus far has been kind of... poo poo? Kind of poo poo. Not Chronicles poo poo, but practically nothing has grabbed me, there's an overreliance on this cheap-sounding synth (I'm not averse to a good synth, but this doesn't strike me as one), and so many vocal songs (I mean, I know that's kind of a thing with the series - see Adventure 2 - but these aren't quite as deliciously cheesy). I'm just not feeling this one.

I've loved every single track previewed so far. I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of my favorite OSTs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
None of this is good Vector, that's why it's called War feels like it'll make a good thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Chronicles is worse than '06.

That's really the best thing I can say about the game because that is a mighty impressive feat to manage.