Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
so, for some reason, twitter has been making my PC lock up a bunch (not requiring a reboot but the mouse & everything freezes for a couple seconds at a time)

happens on both chrome and firefox

anyone else have this? or is my computer dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

so, for some reason, twitter has been making my PC lock up a bunch (not requiring a reboot but the mouse & everything freezes for a couple seconds at a time)

that's fukkin weird

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pretty sure it's related to video (auto) playing, but it doesn't happen with youtube

but my only guess is maybe it's video driver related? since that's handled on the video card isn't it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

pretty sure it's related to video (auto) playing, but it doesn't happen with youtube

but my only guess is maybe it's video driver related? since that's handled on the video card isn't it?

i have something like that (skype video call can kill pc if there is a youtube or twitch video playing in background), but i neither have found a fix nor am arsed enough to actively pursue it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

just in the last 24h? because their stupid client-side js and a 30k tweet might do that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's been going on for about a week

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

thought I'd try using the w10 twitter app but it still hitches up a bit when loading videos/images, wish I could pin this one down

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

how do i make a windows bat file do this

[...]

i i have files 0 to 119 and want to ping pong them, but have to do so by coping the individual pngs to new file names (ended up at 238 or whatver

or python or whatever. python of course is always better

lmao i made it myself

[...]

the correct answer was to use powershell, not a batch file

but if you have python on windows that's better than psh anyway

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if its decoding by video card, was there an automatic driver update recently? if not, maybe a busted software codec is the cause?

in the mean time you could try something that stops autoplaying videos to keep it stable

https://www.popsci.com/stop-videos-from-autoplaying#page-3

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

your laptop can't run properly under load

what is supposed to happen is that power management kicks in and a shitload of fans turn on. if they don't turn on, the system throttles itself until the temperature drops to a safe zone

why the gently caress aint your fans coming up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

powershell is bad but its nowhere close to as bad as python

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

use edge.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's literally twitter itself

this happens to me on every single device because Twitter Is A Piece Of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I haven't had probs w/ twitter on edge on any device.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah used python. turns out pythowns

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

your laptop can't run properly under load

what is supposed to happen is that power management kicks in and a shitload of fans turn on. if they don't turn on, the system throttles itself until the temperature drops to a safe zone

why the gently caress aint your fans coming up

this is a desktop computer box

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
you know i had a similar problem. check your temps and stuff. gpuz told me it was thermal throttling under load. turns out the fan curve was hosed, possibly after a driver update

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
edit wrong thread somehow sorry

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 7, 2017

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

you know i had a similar problem. check your temps and stuff. gpuz told me it was thermal throttling under load. turns out the fan curve was hosed, possibly after a driver update

something changed this week (my computer did an update overnight) and now the random hiccups have stopped.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is parted magic/knoppix the way to go to (hopefully) recover data off a drive that became uninitialized? Easeus data recovery and testdisk couldn't find a partition in windows and they both found garbage data when I attempted a recovery.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dodoman posted:

Is parted magic/knoppix the way to go to (hopefully) recover data off a drive that became uninitialized? Easeus data recovery and testdisk couldn't find a partition in windows and they both found garbage data when I attempted a recovery.

you're hosed

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

R-studio for file recovery

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ddrescue worked for me once

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

hifi posted:

ddrescue worked for me once

its worked for me many times, i've ran it on clicking drives with thousands of bad sectors which took 48+ hours to copy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I always forget if ddrescue or dd_rescue is the good one.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

But then I use dcfldd mostly anyway

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
At work I bought a license for this and despite it taking forever it's always worked for me:

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

someone show me where i can buy with shipping to europe (can be us, idgaf) a certified premium high speed hdmi cable with ethernet (2.0b). i've managed to find exactly 0 of those in an hour

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

someone show me where i can buy with shipping to europe (can be us, idgaf) a certified premium high speed hdmi cable with ethernet (2.0b). i've managed to find exactly 0 of those in an hour

The HDMI version doesn't apply to the cable directly. You just need a "High Speed HDMI with Ethernet" and it should support 2.0b

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah which is why i put it in brackets just in case since i saw a whole load of bogus cables. also i do need premium high speed, rather than high speed. were it not for ethernet i could just buy from monoprice, they have the regular premium high speed

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B004BEMD5Q

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

to clarify, the december 2016 2.0b spec, there are two of those

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that's not certified, those i can find myself too. its not premium high speed either

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

to clarify, the december 2016 2.0b spec, there are two of those

lol this is a clusterfuck.

I'm sure any decent quality cable with ethernet will do. At those lengths I don't think it really matters much.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's not certified, those i can find myself too. its not premium high speed either

Might I interest you in a Monster Cable?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm pretty sure the "premium" part is just marketing wank. But sorry for not understanding your question.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Might I interest you in a Monster Cable?

no, they can't even figure out an energy drink

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B072L2VSNS

check a different amazon country by using this search and changing the domain from amazon.de to amazon.co.uk or whatever

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 8, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

I'm pretty sure the "premium" part is just marketing wank. But sorry for not understanding your question.

its hdr support, and no worries. whoever came up with all this hdmi "standardisation" is only smarter than the usb-c guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yo cinci these guys don't ship international but if you're in a fix let me know and i can grab some cables for you and ship it your way:

https://www.pchcables.com/6foceprhispw.html

i've been there multiple times before, they're legit (also cranky as hell if you try to return anything lol)