Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Fayez Butts posted:

Knolling is the worst

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dogen posted:

Look who showed up today! Thanks Doc

I think I've missed a post or something about how to pay for these.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

I think I've missed a post or something about how to pay for these.

I haven’t sent to you yet, I’m not back in the UK for the moment. I get back tomorrow though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

I haven’t sent to you yet, I’m not back in the UK for the moment. I get back tomorrow though.

No problem. I was more worried about missing a post and looking like a dick for not sending cash. There's no rush.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GlenMR posted:

So, exactly how much of a crazy person would I have to be to one-pile this motherfucker?

Can you post your shelf? I like how you have ships displayed. Are you using stands or hanging them?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In the process of rebuilding the Palace Cinema. I just noticed something really bad and stupid about the set. The second floor, where the theater is located, has windows. Lots of em.

For a modular, this seems like a big oversight. Woops.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
The interior is designed to look good. The exterior... is also designed to look good. The two have only the barest minimum of respect for each other.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My son convinced me to get the commuter train today. It’s a far cry from a traditional (non-Christmas) steam engine that I want, but it’s a start. It’s got tracks, power functions, etc.

Maybe I can find some cool train instructions out in the wilds of the Internet.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The 2018 modular should be announced soon. Assembly Square was announced middle of October last year.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

The 2018 modular should be announced soon. Assembly Square was announced middle of October last year.

My body is ready. My wallet not so much.

I mean they can’t possibly compete with the pure level of awesome that was NinJago City. So maybe they will just give us like a park or a brownstone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, let's see. We've had:

A cafe w/ hotel.
A produce stand w/ an apartment building.
A grocery store.
A fire house.
A pet store / brown stone.
Town hall.
Movie Theater.
Restaurant.
Barbershop, Pool Hall, Office.
Bank, Laundromat
And an amalgamation thingy.

Hospital? Police station? TV/Radio station?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A police station modular would be awesome.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
People have been suggesting a bookstore for a while.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSX5dGEyt2Q:nms:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Krazyface posted:

People have been suggesting a bookstore for a while.

Book stores are dead. Make it an Amazon warehouse and drone factory.

Edit: Maybe a school?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I keep hoping for a museum.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

veni veni veni posted:

Can you post your shelf? I like how you have ships displayed. Are you using stands or hanging them?

They're mostly hung, except the UCS stuff. I just use fishing line and staple into the shelves. It looks a bit poo poo up close, but no-one ever gets that close.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

GlenMR posted:

So, exactly how much of a crazy person would I have to be to one-pile this motherfucker?

I more or less one-piled the original UCS Falcon (all the "big" pieces were off in their own bowl) and that was a loving nightmare.

I like one-piling things but 5k pieces is just too much. I think it took me several evenings of multiple hours of building just to get past the first few pages. At one point i had to find a piece that the set only had 1 of, early in the build. Think it took me 2 hours or so of tumbling just to find that single piece.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7lVrWB46FU&t=70s

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I would hope they do a reasonably priced and sized modular because as awesome as assembly square looks, I don't really have the space or the money for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GlenMR posted:

They're mostly hung, except the UCS stuff. I just use fishing line and staple into the shelves. It looks a bit poo poo up close, but no-one ever gets that close.

Nice. That makes me wish my ships had a little more room to breath. My shelf is pretty claustrophobic right now. We have the exact same UCS sets! Well, not the Falcon but the rest of them :sigh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A couple questions: I want to mod this high speed train (60051) a bit.

I have seen mention of some mods that make it look a little nicer but no actual instructions.

Does anyone know where I might find some actual brick-list and instructions to do so? (raising the nose, adding cosmetic doors, etc...)

I may buy a second 60051 to add a couple passenger cars to it, and I am going to add LED headlights to both ends, I am assuming I can daisy-chain those extension wires, (Lego 8886) right? (they just have the 4 stud grey connectors on each end.)

[edit] Also, whereabouts should one go for Lego train tracks? I see lots of "Lego compatible" but not a lot of official Lego track packs that contain straights and such...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 6, 2017

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
They still sell 7499 and 7895 on the Lego website. They're basic supplementary track sets, so probably what you're after. If not, Bricklink or Ebay.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

They still sell 7499 and 7895 on the Lego website. They're basic supplementary track sets, so probably what you're after. If not, Bricklink or Ebay.

Thanks. I got the switch track today...

The straight and flexible, I misread that it had straights. and I heard that the flex pieces sucked. But I’d get it for the straights alone. Or I guess I could BL some straights.

Thank you!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's ridiculous that Lego doesn't just sell track. The train AFOLs would eat it up.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's ridiculous that Lego doesn't just sell track. The train AFOLs would eat it up.

Maybe that's why LEGO doesn't do it - fear of litigation.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

What? They do. I just posted that you can buy train track off the Lego website

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

What? They do. I just posted that you can buy train track off the Lego website

I mean just what people want. Packaging the straights in with flexible isn't cool.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I"m trying to create 3 x 33 inverted slope ( a 1 and a 2, basically) in gold. Or something similar. It seems that gold parts are pretty limited. Pearl is preferable but there are so few options. Ideas?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4287&name=Slope,%20Inverted%2033%203%20x%201&category=%5BSlope,%20Inverted%5D#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Basically that x3. Or that and a 2.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I mean just what people want. Packaging the straights in with flexible isn't cool.

Oh, I get you. It would have helped to say that in the first place. I agree though, and they used have supplementary boxes of either straight or curved track. Dunno why they don't anymore.

Waltzing Along posted:

I"m trying to create 3 x 33 inverted slope ( a 1 and a 2, basically) in gold. Or something similar. It seems that gold parts are pretty limited. Pearl is preferable but there are so few options. Ideas?

I guess that depends on what you want to use it for. I'm assuming it's part of a MOC with other gold parts? I'm sure you're already aware that those slopes aren't made in pearl gold.

You could just substitute in a different colour. The bright light orange isn't too far from gold IMO.
You could use regular slopes mounted upside down if possible, but then you run into the colour problem again.
The most straightforward option is to paint them, but then you'd have to match the paint colour, plus you're painting Lego which some people don't like. I'm not sure about regular colours, but some people have managed to chrome Lego with a lot of success.
Final option is to just wait until Lego makes those slopes in pearl gold. You could be waiting a long time though!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4287&name=Slope,%20Inverted%2033%203%20x%201&category=%5BSlope,%20Inverted%5D#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Basically that x3. Or that and a 2.

Could you maybe use another colour entirely? To suggest a support of wood or another material?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

veni veni veni posted:

Nice. That makes me wish my ships had a little more room to breath. My shelf is pretty claustrophobic right now. We have the exact same UCS sets! Well, not the Falcon but the rest of them :sigh:

I've been trying to prune the stuff on display down a little bit, because the room was pretty densely packed (the other side of the room has waaaaayyyy too many Batmobiles still), and the library room has too many sets in it too. My partner is justifiably concerned about the house being taken over by Lego, so I only put up the stuff I really, really like.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are some websites that sell gold/chrome/silver lego pieces. They probably don't make that piece, but you could probably ask them if they could. I don't know the process, but I would assume they could just throw another piece in with their normal pieces.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What I think I may do is use plates and slope/greebles. If I use three 2x2 and 6 1x1 pearl gold plates, I can get part of it done. Then I could glue the greebles to the front.

Basically, this is what I am making:

http://www.lowefamily.com.au/2017/08/03/ninjago-movie-minifigures-background/

I decided to color code things a bit. Cole gets a brown brick, Jay gets Blue, Nya lighter blue and so on. Wu is supposed to have gold and I don't think I like the look of Yellow. Everyone else was easy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Christmas is sorted for the AFOL who has everything.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Oh poo poo, 2x5 brick!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
LMAO at the sterling silver tin can. I wonder how much that costs.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Don't accidentally mix those in with your regular bricks. loving knockoffs tank your resale value.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

EvilJoven posted:

LMAO at the sterling silver tin can. I wonder how much that costs.

$1000, my wife sent me that like yesterday. Thankfully as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dogen posted:

Look who showed up today! Thanks Doc

Same here, thanks Doc! Not sure where he'll wind up for display but for now he's hitching a ride with santa on my old Falcon.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 7, 2017