Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If you believe something, and that thing is externally true, is that not knowledge

I don’t know what bullshit you’re talking about here, but I’m gonna go with no, if something here is probably not true, it’s probably not true.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Hate to tell you this, but 13 year olds are kids.

Yes but they aren't children. They're teenagers. Calling Star Wars a kids movie implies it's for children and is silly or not meant to be taken seriously. Which is simply not true.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Now we get to sit and wait for some goon to chime in about letting his 6 year old watch all of Lars Von Trier's films

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I saw Species when I was 10.

Not great.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Demiurge4 posted:

I saw Species when I was 10.

Not great.

Same, but "Day of the dead"

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Everyone's seen rough poo poo when they were young. I was probably 8 or 9 when my older sister forced my to watch child's play with her crew. And some horror movie where at the end a kid grows an eyeball in his palm and stabs it.

I bet Yoda, Ben or Anakin will show up as force ghosts to chill around the force tree. Has the EU explained that force ghosts can't exactly be walking around in ghost form all of the time? Seems like they'd be important to have around, maybe have Qui-Gon's disembodied voice give a lecture at Luke's school

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I saw Aliens when I was like six. Every time I had a stomach ache after that I thought an alien was going to bust out of me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4CB5SeBGkI

Those shots of Luke in the Falcon cockpit...drat.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If the princess thing means the twist was the lamest most obvious one possible (Rey being Luke's daughter) and Luke also turns out to be evil, then Star Wars can kiss my rear end

How the hell would her being a princess mean she's Luke's daughter? Because Padme was once a queen? Naboo royalty doesn't work that way. She was first elected queen and later stepped down to get into galactic politics. Usually, generational royalty has to do with blood.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

lol this guy thinks the parental rating system determines what are kid movies

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Kly posted:

lol this guy thinks the parental rating system determines what are kid movies

lol this guy thread snipes without reading a goddamn thing apparently

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Penpal posted:

Everyone's seen rough poo poo when they were young. I was probably 8 or 9 when my older sister forced my to watch child's play with her crew. And some horror movie where at the end a kid grows an eyeball in his palm and stabs it.

I know you didn't ask, but I think that's The Gate.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Yes but they aren't children. They're teenagers. Calling Star Wars a kids movie implies it's for children and is silly or not meant to be taken seriously. Which is simply not true.

Yes, yes, we still think you are really all grown up, with watching your grown up movies about laser swords and Space princesses, champ.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Decius posted:

Yes, yes, we still think you are really all grown up, with watching your grown up movies about laser swords and Space princesses, champ.

:ironicat:

The same could be said about throwing around a bunch of hyperbole in a star wars thread on an internet forum, kiddo.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Can we just call them family movies and move the gently caress on

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Skywalker Family Values

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Wars is a film where a teenager makes out with her own brother before going on to date a man a decade older than her after being enslaved and forced into a bikini by a space gangster.

It is appropriate for all ages.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

:ironicat:

The same could be said about throwing around a bunch of hyperbole in a star wars thread on an internet forum, kiddo.

Actually it is the opposite, it's accepting that it is stuff geared towards kids and selling toys, but not being ashamed of liking it. Who cares if it is stuff for kids? Hundreds of millions grown ups like it despite or because of it. So why is it important to you that the movies are totally for all those mature 13 year old?

Also the deceptive cut between Luke and Rey at the end of the trailer makes all the x/y goes to the Dark Side unlikely for me, too obvious.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Ingmar terdman posted:

The full interview reads like Driver is comparing his character to the princess in Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

Okay, Star Wars is good again.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Star Wars is a film where a teenager makes out with her own brother before going on to date a man a decade older than her after being enslaved and forced into a bikini by a space gangster.

It is appropriate for all ages.

Also torture, children dying, and lots of dismemberment

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If you want evidence that seeing Star Wars as a young child can lead to mental problems down the road, you'll certainly not find it here!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I know you didn't ask, but I think that's The Gate.

Excellent. They movie has been in the back of my mind for eternity. I'm gonna check it out after watching the trailer on youtube.

When is the Solo trailer dropping? In front of 8?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Also torture, children dying, and lots of dismemberment

So? One of the most famous children's stories of all time involves a boy and a girl shoving their kidnapper into an oven so she burns alive.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Somewhere in Star Wars there is a fat nerd jedi who tries to scissor kick and shits himself. hth

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Penpal posted:

Excellent. They movie has been in the back of my mind for eternity. I'm gonna check it out after watching the trailer on youtube.

When is the Solo trailer dropping? In front of 8?
You've Met The Porg
Now Meet Where The Legend Began

SOLO
(The Man Who Owned The Ship Before The Porg Did)

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nessus posted:

You've Met The Porg
Now Meet Where The Legend Began

SOLO
(The Man Who Owned The Ship Before The Porg Did)

The porg stuff is mostly played out, but this was pretty good.

Also remember that Return of the Jedi is a movie where a slave girl in a see through outfit gets fed to a monster for the crime of not wanting to get raped by a giant slug alien.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

The full interview reads like Driver is comparing his character to the princess in Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

This would be simply amazing if the comparison held up.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

sweet geek swag posted:

Also remember that Return of the Jedi is a movie where a slave girl in a see through outfit gets fed to a monster for the crime of not wanting to get raped by a giant slug alien.

#metoo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Penpal posted:

The Gate.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So? One of the most famous children's stories of all time involves a boy and a girl shoving their kidnapper into an oven so she burns alive.

Well I probably wouldn't want my kids reading the original Grimm version of Hansel and Gretel, either.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHgrjT_Hfk

More Mark Hamill having no filter, it's pretty old but so good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sweet geek swag posted:

They were just accurately if symbolically portraying hollywood human history forever sadbrains emote Harvey Weinstein.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Mark Hamill should do stand up.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is that creepy Youtube account with a grudge against the new movies who collects every out of context statement from Hamill to turn it into the "even Luke thinks it's ruined" narrative.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The guys YouTube name is JarJar Abrams so you know he's as unbiased as it gets.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Szmitten posted:

This is that creepy Youtube account with a grudge against the new movies who collects every out of context statement from Hamill to turn it into the "even Luke thinks it's ruined" narrative.

He didn't make the most viewed one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw0IR6fJlV0

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

If a large dinosaur rips a man in half, you probably aren't watching a kids movie.

How else do you expect us to get desensitized to it if we don’t watch it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I absolutely love the complete lack of fucks Mark Hamill gives now :allears:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I absolutely love the complete lack of fucks Mark Hamill gives now :allears:

Not me,

Its easy to be "fuckless" when your trilogy has been over for twenty years and all you need to do is turn up for a obligatory cameo.

• Locked thread