Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

So....

I pretty much burnt out for a bit after the G1 and gave the October shows a miss to catch up on other stuff.

I was pleasantly enjoying having NJPW back in my life, despite Suzuki/Yano being a huge let down, the whole event was pretty good then Chris Jericho turns up out of nowhere. I don’t “mark” out much but that was a great surprise. Judging from the reaction here and twitter it wasn’t expected at all either.

How does this work though? I was assuming, probably wrongly, that Jericho had some sort of contract with WWE. Clearly not?

Also Jay White’s return was great. I always enjoy watching the Young Lions come back from excursions with their new gimmick. Seems like they are pushing White big time in 2018. Can see him and Juice getting a NJ Cup match together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
This story is true from everything I know:

https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/927274873310908416

Omega/Ibushi once planned for the Dome is the working idea for Long Beach.

If Meltzer pretends Omega is leaving New Japan again this year don't believe him is my advice.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Finally, some hope for Cena/Tanahashi being possible.

Kevin Kelly putting over that Naito video was neat, too.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Is ACH's gimmick in NJPW that he's constantly severely injured? Dude is bandaged up like a drat mummy at Power Struggle.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

Is ACH's gimmick in NJPW that he's constantly severely injured? Dude is bandaged up like a drat mummy at Power Struggle.

He hurt his ribs in the first round of the tag tournament.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

rovert posted:

Omega/Ibushi once planned for the Dome is the working idea for Long Beach.

If Meltzer pretends Omega is leaving New Japan again this year don't believe him is my advice.

gently caress i was on board until this. If Jericho would be available in March, which I'm assuming due to the cruise it would make far more sense to reverse them imo. Ibushi's a big draw in Tokyo and Jericho would def draw in the "casual hardcore" types in this country

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would Jericho be open to working ROH dates I wonder?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Thauros posted:

gently caress i was on board until this. If Jericho would be available in March, which I'm assuming due to the cruise it would make far more sense to reverse them imo. Ibushi's a big draw in Tokyo and Jericho would def draw in the "casual hardcore" types in this country
capacity at the walter pyramid in long beach is 4500, the first two night event was 2300 per night. i would bet they could have kenny omega wrestle yano in the main event and still sell out 4500. having a larger american audience wanting to tune in to their biggest show of the year and possibly even subscribe to the network to do so is a huuuuge opportunity.

also as someone who will 100% be going to the next long beach show, the possibility of seeing omega/ibushi live is making me insanely excited.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

cams posted:

capacity at the walter pyramid in long beach is 4500, the first two night event was 2300 per night. i would bet they could have kenny omega wrestle yano in the main event and still sell out 4500. having a larger american audience wanting to tune in to their biggest show of the year and possibly even subscribe to the network to do so is a huuuuge opportunity.

also as someone who will 100% be going to the next long beach show, the possibility of seeing omega/ibushi live is making me insanely excited.

They could've sold out 4500 last year no probelm, but the crowd was heavily fly-ins (I was one myself) and many of those people will be going to mania weekend/SCOH instead.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Thauros posted:

They could've sold out 4500 last year no probelm, but the crowd was heavily fly-ins (I was one myself) and many of those people will be going to mania weekend/SCOH instead.
but why, they might miss omega vs ibushi

edit: also i am psure i am not gonna enjoy omega vs jericho. a lot of the work is gonna be on omega's shoulders, but jericho is a clever guy and can probably figure out some way to go out there and put on a match worthy of the later card of wrestle kingdom.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Tomahawk posted:

i really hope jericho comes out to his wcw theme

I'd bet money he comes out to Judas or at least another Fozzy song. Dude loves himself.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sigmachiev posted:

I'd bet money he comes out to Judas or at least another Fozzy song. Dude loves himself.

Hell, same.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cams posted:

but why, they might miss omega vs ibushi

edit: also i am psure i am not gonna enjoy omega vs jericho. a lot of the work is gonna be on omega's shoulders, but jericho is a clever guy and can probably figure out some way to go out there and put on a match worthy of the later card of wrestle kingdom.

"This match will probably be really good but I am pretty sure I won't enjoy it."

Thauros posted:

Why would Jericho want to do a show in front of 5,000 in the US instead of 30,000 in Tokyo.

I know it is extremely unlikely but if they can get Jericho to do a tag with Gedo vs Liger and whoever at NYD I'd be very happy.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i'd be shocked if it's not the fozzy song they played in the promo

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Is there any chance njpw world is on any devices I use by January

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jackie D posted:

Is there any chance njpw world is on any devices I use by January

Do you use a personel computer?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

"This match will probably be really good but I am pretty sure I won't enjoy it."
i think it could be a pretty good match while ending up one of omega's worst matches of 2018. i just, personally, would have liked to see omega put on a true moty contender at wrestle kingdom again.

but kenny omega vs chris jericho is a monster event and the opportunity is waaaay too good for njpw not to do it at wk12.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

algebra testes posted:

Or a phone

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

algebra testes posted:

...let me rephrase

Any device connected to my TV

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jackie D posted:

...let me rephrase

TVs have miracast

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Byolante posted:

TVs have miracast

Do you have an amazon fire tv or a computer and an hdmi cable or a laptop and an hdmi cable? Or perhaps a television with a connected device that can use an Internet Web Browing Program such as netscape navigator or prodigy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jackie D posted:

...let me rephrase

Buy an HDMI cable or get a Chromecast. You'll thank yourself for your investment.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Amazon pretty much pay you for a Fire Stick at this point, and if the banner ad with Kenny tells me anything, NJPWorld is on that.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

checksin posted:

i'd be shocked if it's not the fozzy song they played in the promo

Yep, song is called Judas which is their big single right now. Actually got some good momentum on a few international charts when it came out and I think cracked the Billboard 200.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Jerusalem posted:

Buy an HDMI cable or get a Chromecast. You'll thank yourself for your investment.

:yeah:

As a bonus, there are plugins in Chrome to accelerate the video to save time if you are trying to catch up. It's been invaluable to me.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Jerusalem posted:

Ditto Chromecast. NJPW World was why I got one in the first place and it has more than paid for itself. Super useful and reliable for many things, including NJ, and even if you have a smart TV.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Yep, song is called Judas which is their big single right now. Actually got some good momentum on a few international charts when it came out and I think cracked the Billboard 200.

Hopefully goes better than the last time he tried to enter to one of his own songs.

And to everyone assuming he's out of Mania due to the cruise... you know the cruise is in like October next year, right?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I bought a Fire TV Stick pretty much specifically to watch NJPW on my TV. I have been extremely, extremely satisfied with the purchase.

(Having said that, really, why isn't it on Roku or PS4 yet - if they really want this US Expansion to be real they gotta get on that poo poo)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

I bought a Fire TV Stick pretty much specifically to watch NJPW on my TV. I have been extremely, extremely satisfied with the purchase.

(Having said that, really, why isn't it on Roku or PS4 yet - if they really want this US Expansion to be real they gotta get on that poo poo)

Agreed about the Roku comment, there are tiny lovely indies who have managed to figure that poo poo out, get on it NJPW

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Official World Tag League entrants

Block A

Juice Robinson/Sami Callihan
SANADA/EVIL
Yuji Nagata/ Manabu Nakanishi
Yujiro/Hangman Page
TenCozy
Bad Luck Fale/Chase Owens
Minoru Suzuki/Takashi Iizuka
Hirooki Goto/YOSHI-HASHI

Block B

Killer Elite Squad
War Machine
Jeff Cobb/ Michael Elgin
Best Friends
Henare/ Togi Makabe
Toru Yano/Tomohiro Ishii
Guerrillas of Destiny
Katsuya Kitamura/David Finlay

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I ignored a few of the youtube videos recommended to me about Jericho-Omega cause I figured it was just in reference to their twitter stuff :psyduck:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Platypus Farm posted:

Do you have an amazon fire tv or a computer and an hdmi cable or a laptop and an hdmi cable? Or perhaps a television with a connected device that can use an Internet Web Browing Program such as netscape navigator or prodigy?

I have a sony smart tv with a built in hotspot and a lg v20 phone. I just activate miracast on my phone then turn on screen mirroring on my tv.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VJeff posted:

Watch New Japan make a PS4 streaming app and only release it in the Japanese PSN store :v:

Also I’d bank on WK12 getting more than 40,000 in. Probably 45k if the early sales are any indication.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

Official World Tag League entrants

Block A

Juice Robinson/Sami Callihan
SANADA/EVIL
Yuji Nagata/ Manabu Nakanishi
Yujiro/Hangman Page
TenCozy
Bad Luck Fale/Chase Owens
Minoru Suzuki/Takashi Iizuka
Hirooki Goto/YOSHI-HASHI

Block B

Killer Elite Squad
War Machine
Jeff Cobb/ Michael Elgin
Best Friends
Henare/ Togi Makabe
Toru Yano/Tomohiro Ishii
Guerrillas of Destiny
Katsuya Kitamura/David Finlay

Here's a stream of thoughts waking up to this:

Surprised that none of their big four are in the tournament this year.
It's good to see Henare back and Chucky T getting that NJPW pay.
Callihan looks so out of place. Finlay & Juice is a better team. Oka and Kitamura not tagging is a shame. Thought Fale and Tonga Leo were going to tag.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think it's a good surprise. Everyone says past tag leagues have been garbage, looking at the participants, they're all filled with teams like Okada & YOSHI-HASHI that are obviously not winning and Okada needs to rest up for Wrestle Kingdom. Leaving out the guys with big matches already keeps it unpredictable and maybe these guys will actually have good matches without a 30 minute match coming up on January 4th.

I'm excited to see War Machine vs. Cobb & Elgin at least.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

No Monster Rage, no buys. Massive failing for a company poised to make huge moves on the world stage.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Best Friends v Yano... :allears:

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
chris jericho is absolutely coming out to his band playing live, singing an entire song, and then going to the ring. also i am beyond excited that 2017 is the year of Chuckie T getting paid

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
By the way I'm a big fan of Kelly and Callis marking the gently caress out during Jericho's challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

VJeff posted:

By the way I'm a big fan of Kelly and Callis marking the gently caress out during Jericho's challenge.

Kelly and Callis are pretty good now; I just wish they were a tad less smarky (though they're so much better than e.g. Striker, or a lot of indie commentary) and had more enthusiasm during undercard matches

I really like watching the English streams now though because they do a great job providing context that isn't always obvious, especially in multi-mans with a few angles going on. For as much as NJPW isn't great about having an English-friendly web presence, it definitely seems like they're providing the commentary with a lot of notes

• Locked thread