Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Any advice for taking out this Bloodthirst challenge? I feel like I'm missing an obvious "trick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Myrmidongs posted:

I can't see any reason to run it over a regular Reinforced Ballista.

the answer to why so many of the machines are poo poo is that you can't run more than 3 of the good ones :suicide:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Any advice for taking out this Bloodthirst challenge? I feel like I'm missing an obvious "trick".

use the rally 3 effect from late harvest to get a ton of value from your leader and the crossbowmen. Win round 1, then if you dry pass round 2, he'll always play his leader so your deck always thins and you can get 2 CA going into last round thanks to late harvest.

Minera fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 1, 2017

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Ended up getting pretty lucky in my keg openings. 42 kegs and got 6 legendaries: Iorveth, Caretaker (had him already), Vilgefortz, Prem Yennefer, Succubus, and Golden Ale

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

it's me, I'm the idiot that took forever to figure out the first challenge with the peasant palisade

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

frajaq posted:

it's me, I'm the idiot that took forever to figure out the first challenge with the peasant palisade

I'm the idiot that still hasn't figured it out

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Knowlue posted:

Ended up getting pretty lucky in my keg openings. 42 kegs and got 6 legendaries: Iorveth, Caretaker (had him already), Vilgefortz, Prem Yennefer, Succubus, and Golden Ale

I pulled two golds from 61 kegs, though from memory I think I pulled a gold right before I started hoarding for patch day. That's still the worst rate I've had from any large batch but I guess even with bad luck protection the variance is going to get you sometimes.

I didn't watch the dev stream so I don't know if they commented on it, but I assume the Thronebreaker patch is still on schedule for this year. Hopefully it includes the UI revamp they mentioned where you can get to your collection from the deck builder page. When I first started playing I couldn't believe that wasn't an option, and I also hate how it takes a few seconds to enter or leave those pages. I guess it's all the card art being loaded or something but it'd be nice if they could get rid of that delay.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Yeah I opened a few kegs before they introduced new cards so I could pop my pity timer then get my lvl 30 legendary. Still pretty drat happy overall

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Duckbox posted:

Play all Scythe, then all archers, then leader, repeat.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Duckbox posted:

On hard mode that one took me a ridiculous number of tries. Hardmode second challenge took me 3 tries. Hardmode Regis got it first try. :shrug:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

lmao

sapper bamboozle best bamboozle

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Played a bunch of games last night and ran into mostly NG Reveal. Everyone seems to love the new 1-str guy who swaps power with Cantarella and while it's a super obvious combo and good and all I don't know if it makes Reveal a T1 deck, though I guess Alchemist got buffed too (and it's early days so who knows). Also, using a reveal on Hefty Helge seems like pretty poor value most of the time in comparison to other reveal effects.

I tried playing mulligan/buff ST with Hattori and I like the way it plays but it doesn't feel very strong. Then again, I built it myself using a big chunk of my old mulligan deck. I wanted to try a heap of new cards but it's hard to pass up the Commando/Aelirenn/Isengrim/Toruviel package for a huge tempo swing. I did try using the buffed Ele'yas to see if I could turn him into a big R3 finisher, but it's pretty inconsistent even with all the mulligan effects.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Minrad posted:

lmao

sapper bamboozle best bamboozle

Back when I was playing a heap of ST I kept thinking that when they get around to adding another decent silver ambush card or two the bamboozle factor would be a pretty solid power spike for the faction, but I always felt using a Sapper was kind of a bad play. It's a nine point bronze that might force your opponent to make a suboptimal play for one turn - baiting a lock is the best case scenario, but do you find it to be worthwhile in general?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

It's good for a couple reasons in that deck

1. You always want to run 2 ambushes minimum, to make sure you always have an ambush to play, though with mulligan cards you can probably get away with just toruviel
2. It's a great target for vrihed mulligans, slamming a nice 13 power tempo play
3. it makes for a nice boost target since the points are "protected" before it flips

In general ambush cards got a lot stronger with the new boosting effects. I've pulled off two toruviel bamboozles that won rounds or forced opponent an extra card down because they're expecting them to flip for 18 or 20 points and instead get bamboozled from hawkers. Gotta watch those hands carefully, folks!

Elves are weird right now. There's definitely an optimal deck to build around boosting, since new Iorveth is loving amazing and the new bronze is pretty good too, but I'm gonna need to experiment with it a lot to figure out the best way to build it.

Minera fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 2, 2017

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

That makes sense, I should try it out. I like the new Iorveth but you want to play him early in R1 while you have a big hand or he loses a lot of his new value. That's fine, though, because his main use has always been to remove dangerous early bronzes.

Elf buff feels like it wants a really long R1 so your Dragoons can do work; I noticed most of the netdecks are all packing Quen to protect them but I didn't want to go down that path right away. I wanted to do something with Saesenthessis to cap a long round where you have lots of elves on the table but he's terrible in a short round. Saskia is kind of similar in that she's great when you have a lot of cards in hand, but the later the game goes the less likely it is that you'll have cards you want to mulligan.

Boosting seems to be everywhere at the moment with the NG reveal deck, nekker consume, and these ST decks so I'm expecting to see more Mardroeme tech and maybe Peter out of NG. Maybe ST boost is more resilient to resets though because you're generally spreading your boost around rather than stacking up super units. I did try playing a Radovid machines deck with Witch Hunters for a few games but trying to get ahead of the meta this early isn't really possible, and also it wasn't a good deck.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Kalko posted:

Elf buff feels like it wants a really long R1 so your Dragoons can do work; I noticed most of the netdecks are all packing Quen to protect them but I didn't want to go down that path right away.

That kinda reminds me of a stupid idea I had for a Francesca/Ithlinne/Quen combo where you don't run other spells and just rely on mulligan to make sure you always play the ithlinne early for value. It's probably bad, but between all the boosting effects it's like an alternate form of carryover. Figure out if you'll lose round 1 early and then rely setting up a big boosted card to windmill slam round 3.

There's also room to go the Farseer route as well and eschew mulligan entirely. I'm also not sure if dragoon or hawker support are the better bronze to use for boosting or if you have room to run both. It's got a lot of room to find what's optimal!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So I just built a reveal control deck with muzzle, assassination, iris, and fire scorpions. It's fun as gently caress

My opponents keep forfeiting really early though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any recommendations for laddering? Restore is proving to be really inconsistent. Is NG spies still good?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Watching Swim's stream earlier he reluctantly agreed that Spygaard is probably still the best deck. In my experience it has bad match-ups but it really can beat anything, the problem is it's hard to pilot and very unforgiving at higher ranks.

I think it will take a few more days for the meta to settle, though, so it's hard to say what the Tier 1 landscape will look like but Spies is probably still a safe bet. I'm still wondering how long it will take Dagon to rise to the top again.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Reveal seems competitive with spies now, but I haven't tried it in every match up yet. Its tempo and removal are top notch and 1-point Cantarella is loving game changing, but it still seems to struggle against engine decks in longer rounds.

I think Muzzle in the meta really hurts spies, btw. Stealing an early impera was enough to make a couple opponents tap out then and there. Leo, scorpions, assassination, and Peter/Aukes also wreak havoc on the Spy bronze core, so, if you stick with spies, watch out for that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm getting sick of seeing Iris in every match

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

frajaq posted:

I'm getting sick of seeing Iris in every match

I lost a game yesterday because I made the mistake of Irising early against Emhyr and he bounced it back then played his own. I could keep one Iris from popping, but not two. Not two. :smith:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

On the other hand I started playing this weird Control Reveal deck and this game finally started being fun to me again

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShinyNimbleIguanaPeoplesChamp

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

If any goon managed to reach Rank 16 already please share your deck, I'm only really interested in getting kegs in the game so I can have more pretty cards, and rank 16 (and the immediate rewards) is a nice place to achieve that I don't imagine can be THAT hard to climb towards

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Anything up to 4k MMR is doable with <50% winrate right now.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/34116-update-swims-why-is-this-still-a-thing - basically the same as it was last season and still easy to play
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/34174-red-coin-top-50-pro-ladder-griffin-consume - a kinda solitaire carryover deck, just play to put a dozen nekkers in your deck and then eat them all. more likely to get rando owned from people playing unoptimized lists or running gigni/scorch/mardroeme lower in the ladder but a lot of times you just go into last round with 30 points on the board and walk away from the computer

spygaard is better than ever but it's still complex to play and there's a dozen different lists for it. scoiatael is borderline with a bunch of different decks but dont shy away from playing them if you have cards (spellatael, movement weathers, and handbuff are all pretty solid right now)

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

So I decided to try ST handbuff with Ithlinne and Quen and it has to be the best version of this deck. My only great insight into handbuff is that three Hawker Supports was too many. After a bunch of tweaking I saw Mogwai was playing this deck and he packed an Elven Mercenary with an Alzur's Thunder and Mardroeme, so I switched to that and I kind of like it, but I think First Light might be better than Thunder.

This is my current list. It would be nice to not have to run Commandos/Aelirenn in every ST elf deck but it's kind of the only answer to R1 high tempo plays from decks like Reveal NG, and of course it also lets you force your opponent out of the round sometimes too. Also, Quen synergizes so well with the Commandos that it's basically an auto-include.

I've been doing pretty well on the ladder with this deck but I failed hard against Foltest Swarm last night. My last card was Renew -> Ithlinne to hit him with a double Mardroeme to take the round, but... nothing happened. Turns out Mardroeme isn't a spell.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

frajaq posted:

If any goon managed to reach Rank 16 already please share your deck, I'm only really interested in getting kegs in the game so I can have more pretty cards, and rank 16 (and the immediate rewards) is a nice place to achieve that I don't imagine can be THAT hard to climb towards

Rank 16 is about the point where having a "top tier" deck actually becomes important. Before that, you can win pretty regularly with most any decent deck as long as you understand basic card game principles (tempo, card advantage, consistency) and know what your cards do.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I strongly second the recommendation of some flavor of Unseen Elder for people looking to climb, I was too busy to play for the first few days of the season but consume got me right back in it.

Extremely easy to pilot, fast games, meta hasn't really shifted to account for its existence yet in my experience. Here's a list I stole from swim my list

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Thanks for the tips guys!

Also I just used Sweers on a Nekker after it got Nekker Warrior'd twice and the opponent insta-quit :allears: Playing Nilfgaard is worth it sometimes

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm seriously considering running Sweers just to gently caress with that gimmick deck even though he's pretty bad in most match ups.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

frajaq posted:

Thanks for the tips guys!

Also I just used Sweers on a Nekker after it got Nekker Warrior'd twice and the opponent insta-quit :allears: Playing Nilfgaard is worth it sometimes

My hero! Anyone have a good spygaard deck they want to share with me? My main deck is running into some issues in the early ranks.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm not sure which spies variant is good in the current meta tbh, but I did notice someone running the Leo, venendal, Cantarella combo in spies and it seemed to work.

I mean, I still crushed them, but spies seems pretty weak against reveal in general because they can't deal with its early tempo or mass removal.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

My ST handbuff really struggles against reveal because while I can match their R1 tempo, in R3 I can't do anything about the double Venendal play which nukes the buffed guys sitting in my hand. Sometimes I can play a high power unit that just got revealed to avoid the follow-up, but most of the time I'm left with 3-4 revealed guys in my hand late in the game and there's nothing I can do. I think it's my worst match-up.

MVP card for me has been Mardroeme. Cleans up Nekkers and Iris, and works in a pinch for other high-value targets like Impera Brigades or Cynthia.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalko posted:

My ST handbuff really struggles against reveal because while I can match their R1 tempo, in R3 I can't do anything about the double Venendal play which nukes the buffed guys sitting in my hand. Sometimes I can play a high power unit that just got revealed to avoid the follow-up, but most of the time I'm left with 3-4 revealed guys in my hand late in the game and there's nothing I can do. I think it's my worst match-up.

MVP card for me has been Mardroeme. Cleans up Nekkers and Iris, and works in a pinch for other high-value targets like Impera Brigades or Cynthia.

Quen shields block venendal, so make sure you save one for your swordmasters. Playing one early to protect your dragoons is also really good because the +2 takes them out of muzzle range. If you can get two quens off early (and, honestly, you're playing scoiatael, so that ain't hard), reveal has a lot less to threaten you with.

Source: I've gotten my rear end kicked by handbuff a couple times.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Oh yeah, I remember reading something about that. 'Set' counts as damage so shields prevent it, but 'reset' doesn't so it goes through shields. I usually play Ithlinne early if I can afford the tempo loss (with Roach to help offset it) and I Quen my Swordmasters and Commandos, but I should probably do the Dragoons over the Commandos in that match-up. Still, Quen'd Commandos is usually how I maintain the R1 tempo race.

My Venendal problem is usually them zapping something I wouldn't have Quen'd anyway like Isengrim, Ciarin or a Hawker Support, all of which usually have +1 or +2 from Iorveth. I feel like I'm still making misplays though and that the match-up is probably harder than it should be, so I'll keep working at it.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

One thing to remember is reveal really starts losing steam once they've done their big reveals and gotten their golems, daerlans, and fire scorpion shots out. I pretty much rely on card advantage and big Iris/Vanemar/Helge plays to power through round three and even coming in a card up isn't always enough against decks with strong finishers. If you can just hang on and bleed them a little more in the early rounds, you may find that a just a couple big swords (with shields!) are more than enough to win, even if you're down cards. Remember that carry over changes the card advantage math so the more points you have hidden behind quen shields, the harder things get for your opponent.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Duckbox is correct. I have a bunch of trouble vs handbuff if they manage to make round 3 short enough, especially with me on the play. Reveal only has a few really big-tempo plays and they mostly ones that are better to do early rather than late so things taper off.

Also I believe the multi-venendal version isn't as good anyway, I'm a huge fan of this version because operator on Daerlan foot soldiers is some of the most fun I've had in this game. I even replaced Hefty Helge with Summoning Circle so I can occasionally operator twice (or golem twice which is just as fun).

Mangonel being 7 str just makes me cry vs Handbuff. They always have the Iorveth :(

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I haven't tried mangonels with new reveal. I stopped using them before because they were too hard to keep on the board and I got plenty of removal from fire scorpions. Double reveal alchemists are a pretty huge buff though. That Operator/Daerlan play is really interesting, but I find my silver slots are incredibly precious in this deck and I'm not sure what I'd actually cut for it. It has the same issue I have with mangonels. It's too slow. The biggest strength of reveal is its overwhelming tempo advantage in the early game. Pausing your blitz to put 7 points on the board seems counterproductive.

e: I was wondering where that deck got its extra bronze and silver slot from and realized it has absolutely no anti-weather tech. Maybe I don't need to be running vanhemar and clear skies in the current meta, but what do you do about gold weather and Eredin frost?

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 7, 2017

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Duckbox posted:

I haven't tried mangonels with new reveal. I stopped using them before because they were too hard to keep on the board and I got plenty of removal from fire scorpions. Double reveal alchemists are a pretty huge buff though. That Operator/Daerlan play is really interesting, but I find my silver slots are incredibly precious in this deck and I'm not sure what I'd actually cut for it. It has the same issue I have with mangonels. It's too slow. The biggest strength of reveal is its overwhelming tempo advantage in the early game. Pausing your blitz to put 7 points on the board seems counterproductive.

e: I was wondering where that deck got its extra bronze and silver slot from and realized it has absolutely no anti-weather tech. Maybe I don't need to be running vanhemar and clear skies in the current meta, but what do you do about gold weather and Eredin frost?

Yeah I made some changes; removed albrich, sweers, helge in favour of vanhemar, summoning circle, peter. I may switch peter for sweers again if I run into too many consume monsters. There's a crazy amount of silvers around indeed. This has been helping OK for me.

As far as the Daerlan thing goes: it lets you prolong round 2 by a pretty crazy amount and if you have enough mangonels it's pretty easy to 2-0 many decks, or at least force them to go down a significant amount with all the free points that thay have to answer with a 4-point card. It also pairs really well with the Guardian clogging up their draws.

It's not the most powerful deck I've played but it's definitely extremely entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I just learned that Fringilla Vigo is a card that exists :smith: I was wondering why the enemy was stacking buffs on a single target...