Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Chronicles is not fuckin worse than 06. It's better than either episode of Sonic 4, easily. Apart from the last-minute legal issues with the soundtrack it's a competent, if easy, RPG with fun prerendered environments and charming dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Chronicles had a fanfic self-insert OC plot, a battle system that relied on repetitive Elite Beat Agents style commands for skills that got incredibly irritating to deal with after the first half hour, a difficulty curve that amounted to "just make enemies take 10 years to kill", completely imbalanced abilities which left Cream as a completely broken absurdity and other characters like Tails completely useless, world navigation that punished you if you didn't have the correct characters in your party because of movement abilities, and completely one-dimensional dialogue including Tails reminding you every 10 minutes to save your game even if you tell him to shut up.

I'm sorry friend but Chronicles is completely irredeemable and I'd play '06 a thousand times before I ever touched Chronicles again.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

Chronicles is not fuckin worse than 06. It's better than either episode of Sonic 4, easily. Apart from the last-minute legal issues with the soundtrack it's a competent, if easy, RPG with fun prerendered environments and charming dialogue.

I can assure you with no bias one way or the other that everything about Chronicles was utter garbage. The audio (not just the music. ALL OF THE AUDIO), the flat artifact'd maps, the horribly slow combat and the mini games you constantly had to play to attack ever, the rng chao hatches. All of it was bad. Especially that egg hatching audio. Every bit of gameplay felt unnecessarily slow. As if the game wasn't able to be run properly on a DS.

I also played 06 back before it was the meme of the century and before the "why is god forcing me to play this game?!?!?!" LP on the forums. It was bad, and not as bad as some people exaggerate, but it was a billion times more enjoyable in comparison to Chronicles.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

06 is worse because it was supposed to be sonic adventure 3 and there was hype behind it. Sonic chronicles was a spin off game, and while trash garbage, didn't have as much expectations behind it

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Onmi posted:

None of this is good Vector, that's why it's called War feels like it'll make a good thread title.

Forces has some good dialogue

spoiler clip https://clips.twitch.tv/PleasantFunGrasshopperJKanStyle

YoshiOfYellow posted:

completely imbalanced abilities which left Cream as a completely broken absurdity

That's actually pretty normal given Cream's appearances in the franchise.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Shade was pretty cool lookin. But somehow she's unusable because she's "based on lara-su", who is absolutely *not* based on Knuckles I don't know why you'd ever say that

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Flytrap posted:

I liked Sonic Chronicles. :shobon:
Same, to be honest. Arguably it was a difficult for me time and I needed a distraction, but I even liked some of the music (hey, I was just happy to have a Diamond Dust Zone (MD) reference, even if it wasn't a good one). And Big's dialogue was a treasure.

e: although yeah, Cream was ridiculously good and very much the character that you put that "don't need an action command to do POW moves" chao on. Tails never got a look-in unless the party had to split.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 6, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's weird now to rate a new Sonic game against Sonic 2006 because 06 has like, it's become an "Event" for lot of people. Like others have said it's almost a "Meme Game" now with people willingly continuing to bring it up in a "So bad it's good" way that other titles like Lost World don't seem to have.

So even if Forces is better than 06, there's a chance it could eventually fall behind on the relevancy scale as Sonic 06 continues to take the role of the most talked about 3D Sonic game.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I think Chronicles is completely irredeemable and has no merits to playing. Even 06 has so many bugs to exploit if you love that while Chronicles is just a horrible slog of a rpg.

However 06 is more damning on Sonics reputation due to it being a big main series game celebrating an anniversary compared to Chronicles easily being dismissed as a lovely side series game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0GSW4pOHNg

Smdh that there are still people not on board with this soundtrack.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

All 15 minutes or so of episode Shadow are on YouTube now.
Well... at least it's free, right? Nice remixes too.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Smdh that there are still people not on board with this soundtrack.

I mean, you have to be fair that this was one of the first things we heard from the game, and it still sounds bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZUXyk0jNw

Honestly, while the rest of the soundtrack is clearly better than the above, I still don't really like it very much. Only ones I really like are (spoilers for first one) these two. I will admit that Metropolis zone does get in my head sometimes, even I don't like it much yet.

It's not a bad soundtrack, but it's not exactly great or inspiring. This could just be that the most rest of the series, even stuff like 06 and Black Knight, had great music throughout. The shadow remixes are fire tho

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Infinite's backstory is He's a mercenary who Shadow merc'd while destroying an eggman base, so he REEEEEEEE'd so hard that Eggman gave him the Phantom Ruby

I love it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Very excited to play Sonic Forces tomorrow

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's time. Sonic Forces is now out in Finland (and other utc+2 territories.) Also, I didn't realize this but it's only 40€ which makes me feel a bit better about myself. We'll see if I can't complete it before passing out, with the buzz I've been hearing about how short it is.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

No matter how this game is scored, we have to remember something. Because someone in a big name company didn’t like the game and wrote an article about it doesn’t mean YOU won’t like it. We are the true Sonic fans. We have a connection with these characters. Many critics don’t.
Imagine never watching the Office before, and then seeing only the last episode. Are you going to feel any emotion? Any connection? Of course not.
Many of us have been with these characters our whole lives. By no means am I saying this game will be great. But I will enjoy it, because it’s Sonic. Because I have a love for the character and the universe that no critic seems to share. And no matter the outcome of this game, at the end of the day we will be there to support Sonic at the next game, and the next.
As fans, we can find enjoyment in the most unlikely of places. Even Sonic ‘06. I will play the heck out of this game regardless of its reviews. Who cares if it gets a poor score? This game is for us. Not them.
Let’s just be happy to see the Blue Blur back in action, and always hope for better next time.

the sonic the hedgehog reddit looks like loving jonestown right now, lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I diagnose fatal levels of consumerism

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

People taking review scores of games as personal insults against themselves will never stop amazing me.

I mean if you strip away all of the amazing theatrics from that speech that's basically how I feel too, but that someone actually needed to say it (and write it like that too)??

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Motto posted:

I diagnose fatal levels of consumerism

This is a message board you have to pay to post on.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

TFRazorsaw posted:

This is a message board you have to pay to post on.

Lowtax sucks at capitalism tho

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ohtsam posted:

Lowtax sucks at capitalism tho

that's fine, so does Sega

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If the bias was not clear enough, the editor herself said she "enjoyed" reading the reviewer's "scathing words." Sounds like she is fun at parties:
https://twitter.com/chelseabot/status/927293694230884352
Another cool fact that I uncovered by web snooping, the reviewer picked up the game literally one day before reviewing it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/637100/discussions/0/1480982971175687057/#c1480982971176081781
I don't normally call people fake reviewers, but this was hit-and run shoddiness at its finest. If you are going to rip apart a game, first consider doing so with some semblance of professionalism.

The Assassination of Sonic Forces by the Coward Polygon

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's completely normal for reviews to be written entirely on the first few hours of a game. Do you think they play all those hundred-hour epics to completion before reviewing them? Hell no.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lol at the idea of Jeremy Parish being a "rando freelance reviewer"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why is anyone disputing the possibility that the new Sonic game might be bad?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

by web snooping i assume they mean reading jeremy's twitter feed

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

For this thought experiment I want you to imagine that Sonic is the biggest, and only, thing in your life. Like if you were beep by grandpa but a real person and also a big fuckin nerd!!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wait, what the heck is Gamespite?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TFRazorsaw posted:

wait, what the heck is Gamespite?

The screen name (or, one of) of Jeremy Parish.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I believe that's the Twitter handle of the dude who wrote the polygon review

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ah

it sounded like, I don't know, some kind of site that was like a metacritic for low or angry reviews or something

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

There's a million dollar idea in there somewhere

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i can't wait to see all of your OCs tomorrow <3

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's been this big Forces defence movement building up over time on Reddit and places like that in response to Mania being actually good and Forces almost inevitably being poo poo by comparison where anyone who responded to anything Forces in a slightly negative way 'wasn't giving it a chance' and then it became a quasi-religious zeal until the actual quality of Forces is irrelevant by now, even more than normal with Sonic.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 7, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The actual quality of any Sonic game is eventually irrelevant. The goalposts are gonna move on Mania just like they did with the Classic series and the "Sonic was never good" types.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It will almost certainly be a bad game. I think most people came to terms with that as soon as it was announced.

The real question is, will we enjoy playing it?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Schwarzwald posted:

It will almost certainly be a bad game. I think most people came to terms with that as soon as it was announced.

The real question is, will we enjoy playing it?

I will play and enjoy Forces, as I have many Sonic games in the past.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

basically shitposting about Sonic is more important than actually engaging with the series for a lot of people

even Sega's in on it

it's why making fun of 06, let's playing 06, and engaging in any with 06 in any way is still popular despite it being long since played out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TFRazorsaw posted:

basically shitposting about Sonic is more important than actually engaging with the series for a lot of people

even Sega's in on it

it's why making fun of 06, let's playing 06, and engaging in any with 06 in any way is still popular despite it being long since played out

Hint: it's because they can't stop making bad games for any real length of time