Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Recently moved and the FLGS has a fuckton of Tau somebody traded in. Somebody please convince me to stick with Dork Eldar at least until I get some painted :smith: Related: Does anyone happen to know a good brand of spray paint that has a color close to screamer pink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TKIY posted:

Apparently there are two other hive fleets detailed in the Codex, but without rules. Possibly coming in the next warzone book that is rumored with the Blood Angels?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/11/40k-hive-fleet-tiamet-and-hive-fleet-ouroboris.html

Hive Fleet Tiamat looks loving sweet and their fluff is cool.

Guys help, I'm feeling the gribbly love.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Since there aren't really any models I need for the new codex, I decided to make a unique Swarmlord model using the old FW Hive Tyrant as it's taller than the current one. To make it stand out even more, I'd like it to have four of the larger sized boneswords and use the smaller bonesabres on my regular HTs.

I had two large boneswords already, and converted one into left-sided arm. However I'm shocked at how hard it is find the other two I need. Every ebay listing I can find with them in is £10-20+, sometimes including a bunch of other bits I have no use for. Nearly every other Tyranid weapon bitz are available individually except for these.

I don't suppose Tyranid players in the UK have these going spare?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6~EAAOSwjL5ZBh6E/s-l1600.jpg

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Fluff-wise what are the reasons for one Tyranid force to attack another Tyranid force

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Currently fighting Death Guard. Gonna have to pry them off the objective. RIP me.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

Fluff-wise what are the reasons for one Tyranid force to attack another Tyranid force

The Hive Mind will often set fleets against each other, either as a Survival of the Fittest means to force hyper-adaption or to recycle the biomass of an underperforming or disconnected tendril.

Hive Fleet Hydra seems to be doing this the most, to the point the Inquisition thinks there's something seriously wrong with it.

Also 'Nids will eat Gene Cults when they're done with them, the Cults for their part really don't like that.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goose willis posted:

Testing genetic traits. Whichever side prevails, the only thing expended is some energy, as the biomass from both are absorbed by the victor.

efb

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

I don't suppose Tyranid players in the UK have these going spare?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6~EAAOSwjL5ZBh6E/s-l1600.jpg

I'm in Canada but I can send you those if you pay postage.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I need to go rescue my Swarmlord conversion, as it went a bit bendy being in storage. The pro of Finecast was I was able to flip the hands for his bone swords, mod his tail and head to match the artwork. Con was it goes soft in mid 90-degree heat, which in Florida (and now Georgia) means the majority of the year if I’m taking it anywhere in a car.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
self-harmlord

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Tyrannofex #2 complete just in time before the codex drops :toot:

I was considering taking the Acid Spray symbiote weapon off of my other Tyrannofex while I was touching it up, but then I read somewhere that it'll change from D6 autohits (2D6 if standing still) to 2D6 autohits (4D6 if standing still). That'll do, nid. :getin:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Necromunda available for pre-order the 11th.

A nice thing is the two gangs and the terrain are being sold separately at the same time.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanqol posted:

Taser lance and nothing but a taser lance. It makes the thing stupid cheap at 68 points, its 10' move speed can get it where it needs to go, and even if it doesn't hit combat people are so irrationally fixated on the terrifying threat your dumb 68 point chicken walker presents that they will fire all their AT at it despite its -1 to hit smoke cloud. With T6, 6 wounds a 3+/6++ with Shroudpsalm that little fucker will absorb hundreds of points of shooting that is now not going into your Actually Important artillery line.

I almost feel like giving it a phosphora would reduce its effectiveness, because if the other guy stops to think about the fact that it's only plinking away with one shot per turn it might not be such a terrifying threat after all. You want the Dragoon mysterious and scary and bullet magnetish - don't let this thing get into close combat, woooooOooOo!

Plus if you can stack like, 3-6 of them in a unit and back them up with Conqueror Protocol the extra hits on the lance will proc on a 4+. A full squad of 6 Dragoons with Conquerer can statistically kill a Knight in a single charge. They're easily the best unit in the codex IMO.

im glad to hear that! im getting some ad mech models and the dragoon with lance only is by far my favorite variant of that kit

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anyone have a third party good place for proper sized transfers for Black Templars?

I picked up some from Ginfritter and while they look good they're a bit too small.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So I want a flyer for my Night Lords, but I really hate the Helldrake in design. Is the forgeworld Xiphon Interceptor any good?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Played against a Thousand Sons and Tzeentch Daemons list today with my Carnifex Carnival and Genestealer ambush party.

gently caress Magnus. gently caress the Changeling. gently caress forgetting to charge with dudes who just appeared from Cult Ambush. ITC alt rules are cool.

Also, this argument has been going around: How do you goons treat fighting on different floors? I had a game wherein my Acolytes charged some biglies and made it including the 3" vertical distance, but couldn't physically occupy space on the second floor because my opponent deployed them to eat all the standing room there. Since Infantry can climb, I thought they'd just cover that distance and Wobbly Model to be within 1"/b2b. Then a guy I played another day just this week said that was abusing Wobbly Model and a Knight couldn't attack models on anything but the ground floor. Sounds like everyone is just being a shitter and Wobbly is the way to go.

Agentdark posted:

So I want a flyer for my Night Lords, but I really hate the Helldrake in design. Is the forgeworld Xiphon Interceptor any good?

It clocks in at 210 pts and hatefucks other flyers pretty hard (+1 to hit). Two twin lascannons eat brains, then it has the Xiphon Missile launcher at 60" S6 AP -2 D3. Its base movement is 20-50", so it's going where you want it to fukken go.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 6, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wobbly Model Syndrome is invoked when a terrain feature can physically fit your model, but the construction of the feature prevents it from occupying it and remaining stable. It does not mean you can say that your model is notionally on a higher floor even if there's not enough room for the base.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Double post. Been painting the Hive Tyrant from the SC box I picked up, and I'm pretty proud with how the plating is going. The skin is just a typical red (I'm using the P3 line of paints), the bones are gray-white, and the chitin is a black base with a heavy grey drybrush, a light black drybrush over that, a medium teal blue drybrush over that, and edging in the same color. It's not done yet, but I like the general scheme a lot. Takes forever, but not particularly difficult:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Army I fought earlier:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
And that's way less awesome than "oh gently caress back up, they're charging with mining saws and rending claws." Previous editions had a vertical fight coherency of like 6"--so now is the ultimate anti-melee tactic just to stand as close as possible to the edges of a floor going "Nana boo boo, Emperor hates you!"? That seems against the spirit of the game, IMO.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Floppychop posted:

Anyone have a third party good place for proper sized transfers for Black Templars?

I picked up some from Ginfritter and while they look good they're a bit too small.

Fallout Hobbies has two Maltese Cross decal sheets.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Booyah- posted:

im glad to hear that! im getting some ad mech models and the dragoon with lance only is by far my favorite variant of that kit

They're the coolest model with the coolest fluff GW has ever done. It's peak 40K - we've built a perpetual motion machine and the only rational use for it is to use it as the power supply for a set of robot stilts piloted by a limbless gimp with a man in shining plate armour standing on the back charging tanks with his 12 foot long cattle prod. Yes. This is what warfare should be.

And you get to use Knights of Cydonia as your theme song.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 6, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Also, this argument has been going around: How do you goons treat fighting on different floors? I had a game wherein my Acolytes charged some biglies and made it including the 3" vertical distance, but couldn't physically occupy space on the second floor because my opponent deployed them to eat all the standing room there. Since Infantry can climb, I thought they'd just cover that distance and Wobbly Model to be within 1"/b2b. Then a guy I played another day just this week said that was abusing Wobbly Model and a Knight couldn't attack models on anything but the ground floor. Sounds like everyone is just being a shitter and Wobbly is the way to go.

All of this is correct. If you can't physically fit the model up there, it can't be within 1" b2b, so no combat. You can therefore use good deployment to make a squad unassaultable. Knights can't attack above the ground floor because Knights can't move above the ground floor, they're not infantry.

Personally I think they should errata it so that if you can reach combat (including the 3" vertical move) but can't place due to model position in ruins you can still fight. Knights stooping down to hit guys on the ground floor rather than kicking through the whole building is also dumb, and they should probably include a "TITANIC WALKERS ignore vertical distance when charging/determining who can fight" somewhere in there, but as it stands neither of these are true and your opponent was right.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
We have an 1500 pt tourney coming up locally and decided, because I'm an idiot, to paint a whole new army for it. Here is 1 of 3 Wraithlords for my Spearhead detachment (yes, I know). I managed to knock this out in under 48 hours from sprue to completion so I'm feeling pretty confident about getting it all done by Dec. 2nd.

The bases are meant to be Hive Fleet Kraken themed as Iyanden's big bad.

Full Album

The metal wraithguard was my test mini for the scheme. Tweaked the yellow a bit and was happy with it, my reference was this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fiG_1hFGXEs/Ub9qirpbcCI/AAAAAAAADQs/Bf0mErHuTPc/s1600/m3260087a_4xl.jpg

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 6, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yellow ghostmans looking good!

---

In other news I think I found my 'Obliterators' for the Heretic Orkstartes:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Haha man. Helping a friend look at flyer options for his scions, he's got 2 valks and is looking for a fighter.

FW really hosed up with missiles didn't they? A lightning gets to take 4-6 of various kinds of missiles but they're not one shot. So it can fire off all 4 hellfuries every turn for 8d6 bolter shots, or 4 hellstrikes for melta kraks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zark the Damned posted:

Yellow ghostmans looking good!

---

In other news I think I found my 'Obliterators' for the Heretic Orkstartes:

https://miniaturescenery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=138

Mousemuffins is insane

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

chutche2 posted:

Haha man. Helping a friend look at flyer options for his scions, he's got 2 valks and is looking for a fighter.

FW really hosed up with missiles didn't they? A lightning gets to take 4-6 of various kinds of missiles but they're not one shot. So it can fire off all 4 hellfuries every turn for 8d6 bolter shots, or 4 hellstrikes for melta kraks.

Pretty sure that is more of a GW issue, as they're the ones that made it so missiles can fire more than once. The Lightning is fine in 7th and in 7.1 30k.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Broken Record Talk posted:

Pretty sure that is more of a GW issue, as they're the ones that made it so missiles can fire more than once. The Lightning is fine in 7th and in 7.1 30k.

Technically yes as FW are part of GW.

But it's FW that forgot to include the 'can only be fired once' and 'can only fire x per turn' rule like is shown on Hunter Killers, the Medusa, Seekers, etc.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Broken Record Talk posted:

Yes, and since FW wrote the 8th edition rules for the Lightning after seeing the 8th edition core rules, it's still their fault for loving it up.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, and since FW wrote the 8th edition rules for the Lightning after seeing the 8th edition core rules, it's still their fault for loving it up.
:laffo: if you think FW had any idea what they were doing. It's obvious from looking at their indices that they really only had time for marines and chaos. (And even then they still hosed some things up) The IG and Xenos books are complete messes.

GW did change missiles though. The Nephilim, for example, used to have six missiles total and now instead fires two per turn. Things like Hunter-Killers are the exceptions now, not the rule.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Are feel no pain-style effects rolled after failing your save and before the damage roll, or after the damage roll for each damage taken?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm still waiting to hear why the Magera costs a hundred more points for the same chassis.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Are feel no pain-style effects rolled after failing your save and before the damage roll, or after the damage roll for each damage taken?

After. So if you take a lascannon shot and fail your save it rolls damage. Say it rolls a 4. You then must roll 4 "feel no pain" rolls And each successful one negates 1 damage.

This is important on single wound models with feel no pain. They'd have to make all the fnp saves to live against multi damage shots.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Master Twig posted:

After. So if you take a lascannon shot and fail your save it rolls damage. Say it rolls a 4. You then must roll 4 "feel no pain" rolls And each successful one negates 1 damage.

This is important on single wound models with feel no pain. They'd have to make all the fnp saves to live against multi damage shots.

Thanks! I could never keep it straight. Trying to determine if I want to just do 1 big Leviathan army or a split Behemoth+Kronos army for my test game coming up this month with the new book.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DO IT TO IT posted:

Master Twig posted:

Some eldar stuff triggers before though just to be awkward. If an effect says "loses a wound" then its per wound lost on the character, if it says "suffers a wound" its after the wound roll before your save.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

I'm still waiting to hear why the Magera costs a hundred more points for the same chassis.

Forge World determines points costs using the dart board method.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Corrode posted:

Forge World determines points costs using the dart board method.

This is true; it's how the Barbed Hierodule costs 10 points more than a Knight Errant yet has fewer wounds, slower movement, inferior BS, no invulnerable save, and harsher profile degradation.

Will Chapter Approved be addressing FW units? :(

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Artum posted:

Some eldar stuff triggers before though just to be awkward. If an effect says "loses a wound" then its per wound lost on the character, if it says "suffers a wound" its after the wound roll before your save.

Huh, I did not know that, and thus have been using fortune wrong (not that opponents tend to bother shooting the thing ive fortuned) . Any FAQ or clarification you can link to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Artum posted:

There is nothing I can find to support that reading. The designer's commentary indicates that feel no pain style rules are rolled for after rolling for damage and the xenos index faq doesn't contradict that for Fortune, what are you basing this statement on?

EDIT: Also, the core rules use 'lose a wound' and 'suffer a wound' largely interchangeably as occurring after you roll your saving through and roll for damage so I really don't think there's a distinction.