Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Leaf Lock posted:

Kiffin is ON TOP of the C-USA so there must be something to him.

CUSA is garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Thermos H Christ posted:

Please hire Tim Beck, Ohio State went 23-3 when he was their OC and he’s a great recruiter, he’s totally earned a shot!

you joke, but I swear that guy is going to fail his way into a D1 head coaching position before his career is done

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't know if I would have taken that penalty or not...

I'll second guess whatever happens

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

Your linebackers are seriously so bad. Like Iowa’s tight ends are pretty good but that whole game was TEs and RBs running wide open or RBs making a LB miss and getting like 10+ extra yards. The OU game was pretty similar too as far as LBs getting smoked in coverage if I’m remember right.

I miss Luke Fickell.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

How much precedent is there for a coach only staying one year before jumping to a bigger job? Malzahn is the only one that springs to mind.

Oh, yeah, and Todd Graham twice. And for some reason I'd convinced myself Kiffin had stayed two years at Tennessee.

Big Piece O Shit fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 6, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

How much precedent is there for a coach only staying one year before jumping to a bigger job? Malzahn is the only one that springs to mind.

Oh, yeah, and Todd Graham twice. But he's an rear end in a top hat.

Petrino did it at WKU but it was understood going in that that was going to be a quick rehab stint

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Neil Armbong posted:

Who are OC's worth going after should Tom Herman do the sane thing and jettison Tim Beck?

Kingsbury :v:

Morris is going to get the job because HE'S AN A&M MAN but we really should look at Jeremy Pruitt (edit: or Venables)

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 6, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

curried lamb of God posted:

Kingsbury :v:

Morris is going to get the job because HE'S AN A&M MAN but we really should look at Jeremy Pruitt (edit: or Venables)

I think Morris would be better received by the TexAgs crowd if he had no prior connection to A&M (which he barely does anyway). "BUT WE NEED AN OUTSIDER!!!"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Venables really wanted to be a head coach he’d be a head coach by now

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Or he's just waiting until Bill Snyder's Taco Bell diet can no longer sustain his current form

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have a hard time believing that trying to follow Bill Snyder at KState is a dream job for anyone who has other options (so, not Sean Snyder), but I guess we’ll see.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech fans are fully shopping for a new coach. My personal odds are:

Sonny Dykes 2:1
Neal Brown 3:1
Seth Littrell 5:1
Frank Wilson 20:1
Les Miles 25:1
Dave Aranda 50:1
Brett Venebles 100:1

And yeah, I'm gonna be real sad for the next decade as Kliff Kingsbury demolishes us as the UT OC.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Tom Herman is not going to run the air raid, so that would be pretty pointless. He's gonna stick with the sort-of-pro-style-spread thing that's been his identity since he was a wee graduate assistant under the tutelage of Greg Davis.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don’t think running your QB forty times a game is really “pro style”

Is Dykes really any different from Kliff? I know he has history with the school and they want to keep their offensive identity but he he seems like basically the same guy. I’d rather go with an up and comer like Brown or Littrell

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Is Dykes really any different from Kliff? I know he has history with the school and they want to keep their offensive identity but he he seems like basically the same guy. I’d rather go with an up and comer like Brown or Littrell

Name can mean a whole lot though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Name can mean a whole lot though.

Kliff is certainly not lacking a name that Tech fans recognize

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Biggest difference is that Dykes is more of a CEO-style while Kliff is better as a OC. Dykes also has a much more established history as a good recruiter and is much more animated on the sidelines.

Perhaps most importantly, he'll come cheap as TTU's gonna owe Kliff ~7.5 million.

Brown's biggest downside is that he's younger than Kliff is.

Littrell's going to be criticized for being too tied to Leach (especially since his OC would likely be Graham Harrell).

I think that Hocutt's approach will be to call Venables first (they're old friends) and make him say no. Then he might consider calling Dana Holgerson and/or Matt Campbell, just for the hell of it. Then each of Neal Brown, Sonny Dykes, Seth Littrell, and Dave Aranda will probably be interviewed. I don't think Frank Wilson gets a call, but Todd Orlando might.

Some donors will probably try to push Art Briles, but if that happens, I'm disowning my school. I think there are enough influential folks against it that he won't actually be talked to.

The tendency here, after an OC-style coach failed, will be to go CEO or defense-oriented. That's why I think Brown and Littrell are at a disadvantage. My odds in favor of Aranda would be higher, but I'm not sure he'd be interested, despite TTU being his alma mater.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Kliff is certainly not lacking a name that Tech fans recognize

Sure, but when do people ever learn from their mistakes (not that I entirely think Dykes would be a mistake.)

kayakyakr posted:

Biggest difference is that Dykes is more of a CEO-style while Kliff is better as a OC. Dykes also has a much more established history as a good recruiter and is much more animated on the sidelines.

Perhaps most importantly, he'll come cheap as TTU's gonna owe Kliff ~7.5 million.

Brown's biggest downside is that he's younger than Kliff is.

Littrell's going to be criticized for being too tied to Leach (especially since his OC would likely be Graham Harrell).

I think that Hocutt's approach will be to call Venables first (they're old friends) and make him say no. Then he might consider calling Dana Holgerson and/or Matt Campbell, just for the hell of it. Then each of Neal Brown, Sonny Dykes, Seth Littrell, and Dave Aranda will probably be interviewed. I don't think Frank Wilson gets a call, but Todd Orlando might.

Some donors will probably try to push Art Briles, but if that happens, I'm disowning my school. I think there are enough influential folks against it that he won't actually be talked to.

The tendency here, after an OC-style coach failed, will be to go CEO or defense-oriented. That's why I think Brown and Littrell are at a disadvantage. My odds in favor of Aranda would be higher, but I'm not sure he'd be interested, despite TTU being his alma mater.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dana jumped for another job this year, but I'd be pretty shocked if it were for another Big XII job.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sure, but when do people ever learn from their mistakes (not that I entirely think Dykes would be a mistake.)

I don't necessarily think he would be either. It was a poor fit for him at Cal, but he is both a significant departure from Kliff, while also not being so substantial as to make our entire recruiting history pointless. There's also already talk that he would solidify the current class and bring an immediate boost to our class with a few legacy players. But you never know with new coaches.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if Dana jumped for another job this year, but I'd be pretty shocked if it were for another Big XII job.

I would be as well. There was some weirdness with his departure from Tech, too, which would make things all the more awkward. Though the biggest thing is that I assume Holgs has a pretty substantial buyout. We can barely afford Kliff's, so we're going to have a really hard time with Dana.

Doesn't mean Hocutt wouldn't consider giving it a shot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Texas Tech fans are fully shopping for a new coach. My personal odds are:

Sonny Dykes 2:1
Neal Brown 3:1
Seth Littrell 5:1
Frank Wilson 20:1
Les Miles 25:1
Dave Aranda 50:1
Brett Venebles 100:1

And yeah, I'm gonna be real sad for the next decade as Kliff Kingsbury demolishes us as the UT OC.

Could probably put Morris on the list in the event A&M goes with somebody else

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

I would be as well. There was some weirdness with his departure from Tech, too, which would make things all the more awkward. Though the biggest thing is that I assume Holgs has a pretty substantial buyout. We can barely afford Kliff's, so we're going to have a really hard time with Dana.

Doesn't mean Hocutt wouldn't consider giving it a shot.

You can actually get Dana on the cheap! His buyout to leave is only like 2.5m if leaves after Jan 1, 2018.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dana seems firmly in the “probably too good to fire, not good enough for someone else to try to hire” zone now

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You can actually get Dana on the cheap! His buyout to leave is only like 2.5m if leaves after Jan 1, 2018.

It'd be hard to wait until Jan 1 to make the hire with the new early signing period.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Dana seems firmly in the “probably too good to fire, not good enough for someone else to try to hire” zone now

Our fans are routinely idiots about it, but I generally agree. He's a good fit here and has pretty much embraced the culture. He also is fine letting Huggins be the big deal and doesn't compete with him for screen time. I don't know how great of a relationship he has with our AD, but I also don't think it's bad enough to matter.

Like I said I wouldn't be shocked if he took another job, but I am also not really expecting it either.

kayakyakr posted:

It'd be hard to wait until Jan 1 to make the hire with the new early signing period.

It's like 500k difference though so, prolly not a big deal.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kliff come be OC for Florida. I want your air raid inside of me

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

vyst posted:

Kliff come be OC for Florida. I want your air raid inside of me

Kliffy gonna be WVU's oc after Spavs is the new HC at like UTEP.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Maybe.

I find Holgo intriguing, but I just want to Watch Florida Vert Again so I'm biased.

WVU is always so loving fun to watch.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

Fair enough, but that's how Herman describes his offensive identity. And for reasons that are not clear to me, he's been pursuing pocket passers lately (Kyle Allen at Houston and our 2017 QB commit). I don't know if he thinks he'll just turn them into dual threat guys, or if that's not really what he wants to do in the long run, or if he's just going for QBs with a lot of upside and figuring he'll be able to play to their strengths, or what.

As far as who might be a good fit to replace Beck, what's the deal with the offensive staff at Kansas State? I know Snyder is the architect, but does he call the plays? Dana Dimel is listed as "co-offensive coordinator" and I don't see anyone else with an OC title on their official page. I feel like KSU's offense resembles what Herman is trying to do in terms of efficient physical offense run from the spread with plenty of QB runs mixed in.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Fair enough, but that's how Herman describes his offensive identity. And for reasons that are not clear to me, he's been pursuing pocket passers lately (Kyle Allen at Houston and our 2017 QB commit). I don't know if he thinks he'll just turn them into dual threat guys, or if that's not really what he wants to do in the long run, or if he's just going for QBs with a lot of upside and figuring he'll be able to play to their strengths, or what.

As far as who might be a good fit to replace Beck, what's the deal with the offensive staff at Kansas State? I know Snyder is the architect, but does he call the plays? Dana Dimel is listed as "co-offensive coordinator" and I don't see anyone else with an OC title on their official page. I feel like KSU's offense resembles what Herman is trying to do in terms of efficient physical offense run from the spread with plenty of QB runs mixed in.

I don't think you're replacing Tim Beck.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I hope you're wrong but there's a good chance you're not.

Former Urban coordinator/G5 belle of the ball comes to Texas, hires widely despised OC, fanbase collectively groans. OC loving sucks as predicted, but gets another chance because there were injuries and the OL sucked and we didn't have "our guys." In year two the defense loses a bunch of upperclassmen and regresses, OC continues to loving suck because - shocker - he loving sucks. Coach starts year three with his job on the line while breaking in a new offensive staff. Can the brilliant mind of MENSA Tom recognize a pattern here?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

General Dog posted:

I think Morris would be better received by the TexAgs crowd if he had no prior connection to A&M (which he barely does anyway). "BUT WE NEED AN OUTSIDER!!!"

I didn't realize that he didn't play football here! I still think Pruitt or Venables with a good OC (come back Kliffy) would be a better choice

also, looking at Aranda's wiki page, I didn't realize that he was the LB coach at UH during Dimel's final year :laffo:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thermos H Christ posted:

And for reasons that are not clear to me, he's been pursuing pocket passers lately (Kyle Allen at Houston and our 2017 QB commit). I don't know if he thinks he'll just turn them into dual threat guys, or if that's not really what he wants to do in the long run, or if he's just going for QBs with a lot of upside and figuring he'll be able to play to their strengths, or what.

Kyle Allen is so useless to a run-pass option offense that I think Herman used him for publicity. Allen will grad transfer out next year and I hope he finds a good program for a pocket guy to start at.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Korranus posted:

Kyle Allen is so useless to a run-pass option offense that I think Herman used him for publicity. Allen will grad transfer out next year and I hope he finds a good program for a pocket guy to start at.

My guess is WVU if Grier bounces

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 6, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I hope you're wrong but there's a good chance you're not.

Former Urban coordinator/G5 belle of the ball comes to Texas, hires widely despised OC, fanbase collectively groans. OC loving sucks as predicted, but gets another chance because there were injuries and the OL sucked and we didn't have "our guys." In year two the defense loses a bunch of upperclassmen and regresses, OC continues to loving suck because - shocker - he loving sucks. Coach starts year three with his job on the line while breaking in a new offensive staff. Can the brilliant mind of MENSA Tom recognize a pattern here?

This is like Mad Libs.

Replace Urban with Saban, Texas with Florida and you've got the Ballad of Mac and Nuss.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

This is like Mad Libs.

Replace Urban with Saban, Texas with Florida and you've got the Ballad of Mac and Nuss.

We've been through that rodeo TWICE with Sumlin/Spavital and Sumlin/Mazzone

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

Yeah I think Herman was so excited that someone of that recruiting pedigree was interested that he just went with it and figured he could try to make it work later it was always a goofy fit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Korranus posted:

Texas A&M

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Jordanis posted:

If Taggart bails on Oregon after one year, man, I don't know.

Well up until firing Mark Helfrich Oregon didn't have a reputation of firing coaches, so maybe his job security is safer here at Oregon.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Well up until firing Mark Helfrich Oregon didn't have a reputation of firing coaches, so maybe his job security is safer here at Oregon.

Unless he's miserable living in Oregon, he'd be crazy to leave.

So how high will the bidding war between Florida and Nebraska for Frost go if UCF is unbeaten at the end of the month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/BoozeNcroots/status/927705276303728640

https://twitter.com/N0TVirgil/status/927715732175118336

• Locked thread