Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Haifisch posted:

But there's a confounding factor here:

So the obvious solution is to send the "friend" on a one-way flight somewhere on the opposite side of the globe.

I think the wife and her friend might be more than 'friends' here.

:byodame: :byodame: "We're having a collective panic attack, please leave us alone in the Master Suite!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Droo posted:

Someone I see on Facebook, a broke 30 year old college student, is currently frantically looking for a two day supply of Pruvit Keto OS because their delivery got delayed so now they won't get their supply until Monday.

It appears to be some kind of gimmicky protein powder that costs $85 every two weeks.

I don't even think it's a protein powder. It looks like a powdered energy drink. It appears to be salt, caffeine, stevia, and some sort of chemicals I'm not familar with.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My Dad dies that separate flight thing. When we were young we just thought he was bargain hunting, but when we were older my Mom explained he was worried about us all dying. But he did it from the outset, so he wasn't trying to do any last minute booking at stupid rates.

The friend has gotten her wound up about this, which is why it's a sudden panic to address now. BWF.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Make the friend pay

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Guilty as charged.

My coworker partner, when asked by another for a recommendation on a cheap gaming PC, he suggested a ~$350 Intel dual-core i5 NUC and a $150 external GPU dock. That's not including the costs of the RAM, storage, video card or how loving crippled a dualcore ULV CPU is for modern gaming tasks, the terrible upgradability of the whole setup and the potential compatibility issues of the GPU dock. One can just buy some ~$120 i5-3470 mid tower refurb + used $100 semi-recent GPU and still be waaaaaaaaay ahead in performance.

Unsurprisingly, he's pretty BWM in his financial life too which I won't mention here.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 4, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Palladium posted:

My coworker partner, when asked by another for a recommendation on a cheap gaming PC, he suggested a ~$350 Intel dual-core i5 NUC and a $150 external GPU dock. That's not including the costs of the RAM, storage, video card or how loving crippled a dualcore ULV CPU is for modern gaming tasks, the terrible upgradability of the whole setup and the potential compatibility issues of the GPU dock. One can just buy some ~$120 i5-3470 mid tower refurb + used $100 semi-recent GPU and still be waaaaaaaaay ahead in performance.

Unsurprisingly, he's pretty BWM in his financial life too which I won't mention here.

This sounds great with money. The i5 NUC is a fully functional computer. Most people happy with midrange performance only upgrade their video card, which this allows. It's my plan for whenever my 4? 5? Year old ~gaming rig~ stops playing games I like.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

How do I do this?

Login to Chase and go to the rewards section.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
BWM is splitting up the flights in case a plane crashes, because then it's only half of the massive payout from the airline.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Do Millennials worry about plane crashes? I get Boomers being scared and even Gen X'ers, but if you were born in the 90's you could probably count the number of domestic airliner plane crashes in your lifetime on one hand as long as you weren't including that one big outliner.

Plane travel is scary safe nowadays.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do Millennials worry about plane crashes? I get Boomers being scared and even Gen X'ers, but if you were born in the 90's you could probably count the number of domestic airliner plane crashes in your lifetime on one hand as long as you weren't including that one big outliner.

Millennials pray for plane crashes.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Just came back from a trip to visit family. While there, my mom's BF got a phone call from a friend. Apparently the friend's car broke down and the dealer quoted them ~$3k to fix it, which exceeded the value of the car. What do they do? Finance a new car (>>$3k) at a ridiculously high interest rate. They knew the dealer was shady because other members of that family have been screwed over in the past.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Splitting up your flights is stupid because you should die together so no one is left alone to suffer. Your kids will be fine because of all the money. If money can't buy them happiness, well, then they were never going to be happy in the first place.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
also what if the original flight where dad goes is fine, but the one carrying mom gets involved in an accident? :eng99:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm worried about plane crashes and I'm a millennial. Not because there's any reason to, but because anxiety doesn't really care about if it's logical or not to be worried. I'm not stupid enough to act on the fear by doing something insane like booking separate flights.

Also I'm posting from an airport so if I never post again then my anxiety was right.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

I'm worried about plane crashes and I'm a millennial. Not because there's any reason to, but because anxiety doesn't really care about if it's logical or not to be worried. I'm not stupid enough to act on the fear by doing something insane like booking separate flights.

Also I'm posting from an airport so if I never post again then my anxiety was right.

Poor ranbo das...

Thought about planes and crashed.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

ranbo das posted:

Quick, go book a second flight, cut yourself in half, then re-sprout whichever half of you doesn't crash.

GWM, planarian-style :cool:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Guy: "A $3 aliexpress multimeter will meet my needs, but I bought this $1400 Fluke one because ITS GOT THIS BEAUTIFUL COLOR LCD SCREEN"

Me: :suicide:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That Fluke one can be passed down to his children's children's children, so they too can touch the leads to the ends of 9v batteries to show their children how the screen lights up.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The $3 one could also blow up pretty easily due to poo poo circuitry. $1400 fluke might be overkill but there's a middle ground there.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

brugroffil posted:

The $3 one could also blow up pretty easily due to poo poo circuitry. $1400 fluke might be overkill but there's a middle ground there.

Yeah that may be true, but when all he needs to measure tops out at 12V DC it's gonna take one hell of a miracle for anything to blow up.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Panfilo posted:

I think the wife and her friend might be more than 'friends' here.

:byodame: :byodame: "We're having a collective panic attack, please leave us alone in the Master Suite!"

The first panic attack where scissoring doesn't lead to cutting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Millennials only fear of flying is that they'll crash on a mysterious island with a bunch of wildly variously likeable people and deal with weird poo poo that doesn't really go anywhere and has a disappointing, confusing conclusion.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m afraid of flying because of poo poo like the Toronto airport.

Man that airport sucks.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
And I’m on an overbooked United flight.

Bout to go viral y’all.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

brugroffil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNT98cjGhs

If you can afford to buy good tools that will do the job forever instead of lovely tools that might do the job once without breaking or hurting you, buying good tools is not BWM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

E: nvm, irrelevant.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Millennials only fear of flying is that they'll crash on a mysterious island with a bunch of wildly variously likeable people and deal with weird poo poo that doesn't really go anywhere and has a disappointing, confusing conclusion.

Millennials fear they'll crash but not be killed, resulting in millions of medical debt to go with their student loans so they'll never be free from either.

The claim against the airline will be resolved through mandatory arbitration, resulting in not only having to pay for the recovery efforts, but not getting miles for the crashed flight.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Millennials fear they'll crash but not be killed, resulting in millions of medical debt to go with their student loans so they'll never be free from either.

The claim against the airline will be resolved through mandatory arbitration, resulting in not only having to pay for the recovery efforts, but not getting miles for the crashed flight.
Why should you earn miles? You didn't even travel the whole distance!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNT98cjGhs

If you can afford to buy good tools that will do the job forever instead of lovely tools that might do the job once without breaking or hurting you, buying good tools is not BWM.

Yes and no. I got a fantastic Bosch reciprocating that is the ultimate in German back-and-forth engineering and used it exactly once. Now I see it in the garage and realize I could have bought a Black & Decker for half as much and had the exact same utility and longitivtiy.

If your tools are your livelihood then yes, get the best. Otherwise good poo poo is overkill.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You should get miles to the location of the crash, at least.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Yeah but they wouldn't be medallion qualifying segment miles

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

And I’m on an overbooked United flight.

Bout to go viral y’all.

Check for any doctors or nurses that may be on board as police usually target them for an rear end whooping or false arrest.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
You know all those people that cash out their pensions early on for dumb reasons? This is one of those guys.

A Restaurant Ruined My Life posted:

...Eighty per cent of first-time restaurateurs fail. I knew this. Opening a restaurant was the least sensible, dumbest thing I could do. My wife, Dorothy, a daycare worker, was coasting toward the end of a maternity leave, and we had two kids to feed. I was in no position to take a risk. But if it succeeded, I could make more money than any office job had ever paid me. We could enjoy a better lifestyle and maybe buy a nicer house. Plus, I’d be doing what I loved.

I pitched the concept to Dorothy, explaining that I would be front of house, designing the menu, signing cheques and glad-handing customers. I told her about a guy I had met at TUM who had launched a successful restaurant and still made it home in time to tuck in the kids every night. I proposed that she work alongside me, hosting the lunch service while our girls were at school, and I would look after the dinner service. We could run errands in the mornings, maybe sneak away for breakfast at the competition and write it off as research. Eventually, she embraced my dream, too. Now I just needed to find the money.

Six months later, an opportunity arose. My position at Telefilm, a Crown corporation, was eliminated. I was offered a lateral step, but if I walked away, I would be able to cash out $60,000 from my $130,000 pension. I could already see the tufted banquettes, the Victorian wallpaper, the brass beer taps—and me, a rifle slung over my shoulder, a pint of cider in hand. As my last day approached, I brought up my idea over drinks with a friend named Jameson, who owned a popular west-end bar. After some talk about which craft beers I should offer, he turned serious. “Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked. “I don’t think you know what you’re getting yourself into.” I smiled, drained my pint glass. “You pulled it off,” I said. “Why can’t I?”

(Spoiler: he doesn't pull it off.)

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

By early 2014, the author, seen here behind the bar, was running a successful restaurant, but he’d had to sell his house to keep the business afloat.

Then one morning, after talking briefly to my lawyer, I learned the worst news of all: my incorporation could not protect me from Revenue Canada.

I lost my house at the worst time in Toronto—real estate prices took a maddening uptick, leaving me completely priced out of my own neighbourhood.
gently caress. BWM to the max. But this bit I don't really understand:

quote:

So I brought in a guy from the neighbourhood named Helder who had tons of restaurant experience and had pinch-hit in our kitchen a couple of times. We decided that he would run the place, draw a paycheque and begin the process of buying into the business, which would free me up to get a day job and start catching up on my debts. But I was so far behind on my rent that Jameson ultimately arranged for the restaurant chattels and licence to be taken over piecemeal by Helder’s corporation in a sort of amicable exchange. Any other landlord would have simply locked me out. This arrangement would allow the restaurant to stay open, the name to live on and the staff to be paid. With the final paperwork complete, Helder was no longer my partner, but the sole proprietor of the restaurant that I built.
It honestly reads like he got swindled.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

The next step was to find a space. I scoured listings and realized that my $60,000 could barely cover the cost of a chip truck. I contacted the banks to apply for a business loan, but I didn’t qualify. I looked into a few angel investor groups, but it turned out that they didn’t “do” restaurants. I even considered Dragons’ Den. As it turns out, no one invests in first-time restaurateurs, no matter how mind-blowing they think their cooking is.
Pretty much the entire pre-business time is the universe screaming at him "don't do this, you stupid gently caress". :laffo:

quote:

To qualify for a liquor licence, I needed at least three months of experience in the industry. So I arranged to work in Jameson’s restaurant over the summer of 2013. My shifts consisted of a few leisurely hours chopping veg and prepping salad dressings. His chef, a hotshot Grand Electric alumnus, was probably not happy to have a home cook screwing around in his kitchen, but he tolerated my presence and was pretty good about the whole thing. My role was largely symbolic anyway, and after a few shifts stretched over a three-month period, I checked off that box.
And he started with such burning passion for the realities of the business. :allears:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I want to see that episode of Hells Kitchen. If there's a guy that deserves to get screamed at by Gordon Ramsay, it's that guy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I was going to quote that same section, it's amazing how he just kept pushing on. He didn't even have enough cash to get the place to opening without getting a $20,000 buy in from a friend. Opening a restaurant is a terrible lovely idea anyway, but without even the cash on hand to even get it open?

Then as soon as it somehow hits a stride and makes any money, he closes for a week to celebrate. Bonus: He left the AC running that whole time and ran up a bill while bringing in nothing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Because I'm an idiot who can't stop themselves from reading the comments:

quote:

Michelle Amanda Cannon • a day ago

A dream is just a dream until u make it a reality. Life is about risk. Stepping out into a dream doesnt promise success. But some lessons money cant buy.

I dont see failure here. I see a story of survival. Loss, sadness. And SUCCESS.
You who think success consists of money alone are going to be doing a lot of soul searching at the end of your life.
Thjs man had a go ! He still has a beautiful and faithful wife and children and his health and humility. What will you who criticise have when your ready to leave your money and life behimd ? Success ? Or failure ?

You may want to re think ur definition of success and failure
Yes, the story where he was spiraling into addiction, slowly destroying his family's life, and ruining his finances isn't a story of failure. :rolleye:

Suspicious Lump posted:

But this bit I don't really understand:
It honestly reads like he got swindled.
It's hard to say without knowing what exactly went on behind the scenes, but if it got him out of backrent/whatever else the restaurant owed to various debtors, it might not have been such a bad deal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

It's not even loving up at opening a restaurant in this case (the place is successful under new management), it's 100% being bad with money.

Running out of cash before even opening, God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
GWM: Knowing someone BWM with a good restaurant idea that eventually transfers ownership of it to you in order to keep up on his Avocado Toast payments.