Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

why the gently caress did you enable the guest account

if you've installed prey to protect your laptop how is a thief not going to flatten and reinstall unless there is a way for them to get online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

A Pinball Wizard posted:

its a file server/dev machine running in a vm for work

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A Pinball Wizard posted:

a better question would be why does updating windows change the settings ?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

a better question would be why does updating windows change the settings ?

preparation for deprecating guest acounts

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
reminder that upgrading to 1709 won't disable smb 1.0 if you're still using it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
the best question is why hasn't the guest account option been deprecated multiple versions of windows ago?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

reminder that upgrading to 1709 won't disable smb 1.0 if you're still using it

I thought they disabled inbound SMB 1 support but still allow it to connect outbound for lovely legacy device support? Or did they not even do that?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I thought they disabled inbound SMB 1 support but still allow it to connect outbound for lovely legacy device support? Or did they not even do that?
smb 1.0 client and server are separate line items in add/remove features, so your windows 10 desktop can still be an smb 1.0 client without being an smb 1.0 server. there's a third item in the features list called "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal" which i guess will remove those features if you don't use them, which is on by default

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

iirc it goes: on all clean installs of windows 10 past 1709 it will not install smbv1 (server or client). on upgrades it will keep both client and server, but if they are not used within the first 15 days after the upgrade windows will uninstall them (server and client independently measured and uninstalled). the exception in the upgrade case is in enterprise where there is no such usage check, as microsoft foolishly imagines enterprise installs are being competently managed or some such

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

is smb1 just the checkbox in the windows feature menu

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

hifi posted:

Windows has no features

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
we're still basically running NT4 while dragging around speed & compat hacks

windows is the nesticle of operating systems

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
reading “Barbarians Led by Bill Gates” makes it all make sense

that xkcd image of MS as a place where every team has a gun pointed at every other team? accurate.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

eschaton posted:

that xkcd image of MS as a place where every team has a gun pointed at every other team
wow

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
if you do a clean install of windows 10 and sign in with a Microsoft account it truncates your first name to five letters for the user folder

you can’t change it without a bunch of registry hacks

you can’t enter a preferred name for the user directory

lol, microsoft

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

if you do a clean install of windows 10 and sign in with a Microsoft account it truncates your first name to five letters for the user folder

lol, microsoft

what did you expect? if you don't want your microsoft login as user folder, sign in offline during installation and the connect your account when you boot into the system

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what did you expect? if you don't want your microsoft login as user folder, sign in offline during installation and the connect your account when you boot into the system

as someone who has never installed windows past 7 i would expect you to be able to choose the name

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LastInLine posted:

as someone who has never installed windows past 7 i would expect you to be able to choose the name

you chose your microsoft account to be your windows account, so its name logically becomes the user folder name, since, well, you chose it rather than the other option

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why is it truncated tho

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

why is it truncated tho

because its microsoft not macrosoft

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

why is it truncated tho

misguided kissing up to power users who use the terminal (and would be annoyed by the full id there), but then sperg out about the abbreviation as well~

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you chose your microsoft account to be your windows account, so its name logically becomes the user folder name, since, well, you chose it rather than the other option

you have the option to put your real name on your microsoft account though; would seem sensible to pull that and use it as the account name. that would require effort though

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

uncurable mlady posted:

lol, microsoft
mine is the first five letters of the email address

pretty sure when they first rolled out microsoft logins it was just the first word in your display name though, why change it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

you have the option to put your real name on your microsoft account though; would seem sensible to pull that and use it as the account name. that would require effort though

they do that, just not internally. internally its first 5 e-mail chars, which makes sense technically. i guess it's half assed ux, but terminal grognards would scream about cd C:/users/john galt/desktop

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SupSuper posted:

mine is the first five letters of the email address

pretty sure when they first rolled out microsoft logins it was just the first word in your display name though, why change it?

as noted, i am pretty sure it was power users annoyed with being set up with a long user name just because they picked a long name for their microsoft id before that mattered

i sort of suspect that it started out the shortest name unique on the system but satya felt 's' looked unprofessional

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

power users don't know about tab completion?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah i think ill just continue to not have a microsoft account or a windows account or anything associated with microsoft thanks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hifi posted:

in japanese versions of windows it is called doki doki panic

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

pseudorandom name posted:

power users don't know about tab completion?

windows power users

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as noted, i am pretty sure it was power users annoyed with being set up with a long user name just because they picked a long name for their microsoft id before that mattered

i sort of suspect that it started out the shortest name unique on the system but satya felt 's' looked unprofessional
unicode names could've also posed a problem

speaking of microsoft account shenanigans, somehow my account has a display name different from my real name, even though there is no way to edit the display name, only the real name, and every app dutifully pulls my display name rather than real name. i assume it just stuck that way from one of the various account mergers over the years

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
my initial thought was that they truncate it to prevent long path issues but you’d think they’d at least mention it and/or just let you pick the drat name of the home folder like Apple does

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uncurable mlady posted:

my initial thought was that they truncate it to prevent long path issues but you’d think they’d at least mention it and/or just let you pick the drat name of the home folder like Apple does
long path issues is my first guess too

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

why is it truncated tho

because Microsoft thinks normal people don't give a gently caress about the actual name of their user folder?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"james" is 5 letters

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
my shameful user folder is def my first 5 chars of my email

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

uncurable mlady posted:

lol, microsoft

I had to use these same hacks because it doesn't change your user folder name when you change your account name so my command prompt has been deadnaming me for like 2 years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hypothetically, couldn't you just create a new account and migrate your settings?

i guess it's not really any less work

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

5 chars is lol

also long paths being an issue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
one drive for business "new" sync client is great for that. you can't set the folderpath through the ui, it's your base user folder, then <company name> - <library name>, then the remainder of the path.

it's pretty trivial to hit the 256 character path limit after that and welp, that breaks sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

hypothetically, couldn't you just create a new account and migrate your settings?

i guess it's not really any less work

"not really any less" as in "forget about it lol". simpler and faster to wipe the system i think