Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

doverhog posted:

Is this code or something?

I think it's supposed to be them yelling "WELCOME TO MOE'S" quickly enough that it mushes into one weird word.

Peeve: People that don't know how big their vehicle is.
If you have a car with the temporary plates, so I can tell you literally just bought your car, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the jackasses who have been driving for years and still are ridiculously unaware of the amount of space their car takes up.
Sub-peeves based on that one:
1. People who swing so far left when turning right (and vice-versa) that they go partly into the lane next to them. The lane is big enough for you to turn without doing that! You're just putting us both at risk, stay in your lane!
2. People who can NOT park within their space to save their life. Half the people in my apartment complex take up a space and change when they park. Almost every day, when I go to drive somewhere, the incompetent moron next to me is far enough in to my space that there's no way not to notice that your parking is messed up, yet they never adjust.

Chef Bourgeoisie has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Whitlam posted:

How do they have to talk to people?

Every time someone puts a tip of any size in the tip jar, the employees (usually 2 or 3 of them) have to sing a snippet of some rehearsed song, like... Happy Birthday, or Baby got Back, or some other bullshit, always with the words changed to be about ice cream or whatever. Every time.

Also, the sizes can't just be small, medium, large they have to be 'like it', 'love it', and 'gotta have it' oh my god just let me order a regular amount of ice cream without anyone singing

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Coolspaz posted:

(Canadian here)

My condolences

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Olive! posted:

Every time someone puts a tip of any size in the tip jar, the employees (usually 2 or 3 of them) have to sing a snippet of some rehearsed song, like... Happy Birthday, or Baby got Back, or some other bullshit, always with the words changed to be about ice cream or whatever. Every time.

Also, the sizes can't just be small, medium, large they have to be 'like it', 'love it', and 'gotta have it' oh my god just let me order a regular amount of ice cream without anyone singing

All this sounds horrible and would actively make me never want to go back to a place where they did that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

doverhog posted:

All this sounds horrible and would actively make me never want to go back to a place where they did that.

Correct.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Olive! posted:

I'm sure those size names never make anyone feel like a fatass just for wanting some loving ice cream once in a while.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I've never had any issue just using small/medium/large at Starbucks or Coldstone. They know what you mean.

Coolspaz posted:

My pet peeve is being at Wal-mart checking my bags. I just ignore them and walk past until one lady actually placed her hand on my shoulder - after knocking it off and pushing her back i kept going. Nothing gives you the right to touch me and nothing gives you the right to search my property, no matter of Wal-mart policy can be used over the charter of rights (Canadian here)

My Walmart started doing this for a bit. An elderly black lady stopped me to check my receipt for cat litter and like three other items. "Y'all got a cat?" Um...yep.

I've also been to a restaurant (a sushi place in Vancouver Metrotown) that had call buttons at the tables. You'd press it, and you'd hear the ding somewhere back in the kitchen, but the staff completely ignored it until you flagged them down in the traditional fashion.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Cold Stone sounds mental, I think I have to check it out for the sheer spectacle next time I'm in the States (whenever that is). My current ice cream related pet peeve is that it's so hard to find Dippin' Dots here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't been to Cold Stone in many years but I remember ordering a small and I feel like they gave me like a pound of ice cream. It's ridiculous in a bad way because the ice cream is also way too sweet. A good ice cream you feel like you can eat it all night. But these were disgusting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
We used to go to Cold Stone all the time after school events and everyone would get like, a Super Jumbo with a billion mix-ins and it was just awful. You might as well just knock out all your teeth and stab yourself in the pancreas. It doesn't even taste good - it's the perfect symbol of bland suburban excess.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I think it's supposed to be them yelling "WELCOME TO MOE'S" quickly enough that it mushes into one weird word.

It's this, yeah, and also how do people always quote me during the one second I'm editing a post? Mark that down as a pet peeve, why doncha?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Coolspaz posted:

My pet peeve is being at Wal-mart checking my bags. I just ignore them and walk past until one lady actually placed her hand on my shoulder - after knocking it off and pushing her back i kept going. Nothing gives you the right to touch me and nothing gives you the right to search my property, no matter of Wal-mart policy can be used over the charter of rights (Canadian here)

My local Walmart does this too, and also just installed cameras on all of the registers. There are customer facing screens, so instead of seeing a list of items you're buying as they are scanned you get to just awkwardly look at a recording of yourself. I swear that they must have also enacted a policy that cashiers aren't allowed to interact with customers, because none of them ever speak. I said "have a good day" once and the cashier looked at me like they were loving terrified. I also just walk past the bag checkers so I have no idea what they are pretending to think that treating all of the customers like criminals is supposed to do.

I'd shop somewhere else if there were any other stores left.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Comcast is throttling Youtube.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dick’s Last Resort and Ed Debevic’s

What is the appeal of this type of place. We went to one in Disney world without knowing it years ago and it was just so unappealing and awkward. I don’t like when waiters are overly chatty in the first place let alone when they’re coming up to insult you while you’re trying to eat bland Americana food

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aesop Poprock posted:

What is the appeal of this type of place. We went to one in Disney world without knowing it years ago and it was just so unappealing and awkward. I don’t like when waiters are overly chatty in the first place let alone when they’re coming up to insult you while you’re trying to eat bland Americana food

Was it the Whispering Canyon Cafe? I hate that place. They have dumb "wacky" rules too like if someone asks for ketchup they make everyone in the restaurant bring them their ketchup bottles. gently caress you, let me eat these 20 dollar scrambled eggs in peace.

also they don't like it when you're mean back to them. I threw a jelly packet at the back of the waiter's head when I was much younger and he got pissed off because it popped and got in his hair. Shouldn't have put me in "jail" bitch.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Was it the Whispering Canyon Cafe? I hate that place. They have dumb "wacky" rules too like if someone asks for ketchup they make everyone in the restaurant bring them their ketchup bottles. gently caress you, let me eat these 20 dollar scrambled eggs in peace.

also they don't like it when you're mean back to them. I threw a jelly packet at the back of the waiter's head when I was much younger and he got pissed off because it popped and got in his hair. Shouldn't have put me in "jail" bitch.

Yeah that was it. We ended up leaving early because it was so obnoxious and we were exhausted by that point already without having some weird waitress try to force us to run around in a circle with children

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
In France, you can be finished eating for quite some time and the waiters won't make eye contact with you unless you wave your arm in their peripheral vision enough for them to notice. They do not like for the customer to feel rushed. A lot of American restaurants sort of compromise by giving you your check as you finish saying, "here is your check, but NO RUSH, NO RUSH AT ALL, WHENEVER YOUR ARE READY!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Phyzzle posted:

In France, you can be finished eating for quite some time and the waiters won't make eye contact with you unless you wave your arm in their peripheral vision enough for them to notice. They do not like for the customer to feel rushed. A lot of American restaurants sort of compromise by giving you your check as you finish saying, "here is your check, but NO RUSH, NO RUSH AT ALL, WHENEVER YOUR ARE READY!"

It's like that in a lot of places in europe, at least in germany/switzerland. It's kind of annoying honestly. If we're not hanging out and drinking coffees or whatever I think it's safe to assume we are done without being rude/rushing.

I think any busy restaurant though no matter where it is will try and get you out after a reasonable amount of time once you've stopped spending money on coffee/wine/whatever, otherwise they are bad at running a business.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I much prefer the french style. I also enjoy how a lot of french businesses tend to be less pushy and expect the customer to start interactions. Not familiar with any other euro countries but I imagine it’s broadly true.

One of the reasons going to stores like Best Buy sucks is you can’t go ten feet or browse for any length of time without getting swarmed by staff, while in smaller stores I often feel like I’m trying to think with multiple staff loitering over my shoulder.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I just don't buy that making people have to ask for a check and otherwise not bother them makes customers come back. The food and ambiance is going to do that on its own if it's good. Being presented with the check isn't the same as being told to leave, but you as a customer should respect the business and realize that if you're no longer spending money there you should leave (again, after a reasonable amount of time once everything you bought/plan to buy is finished).

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I much prefer the french style. I also enjoy how a lot of french businesses tend to be less pushy and expect the customer to start interactions. Not familiar with any other euro countries but I imagine it’s broadly true.

One of the reasons going to stores like Best Buy sucks is you can’t go ten feet or browse for any length of time without getting swarmed by staff, while in smaller stores I often feel like I’m trying to think with multiple staff loitering over my shoulder.

There's this small chain of sporting goods stores in the GTA, Sporting Life, and while I like their products, I hate going in because I will be asked if I need help every time I walk in, walk into a new section or so much as stop to look at an item.

Looking for where they hid the price tag (another pet peeve)? Expect to have someone over your shoulder asking if you need a size, a fitting room, etc. No, I don't need a fitting room for a pair of gloves, which also has all the materials and features on the card they're hanging from.

I get being asked if I need help once or twice, but, no exaggeration, 6 times in 8 minutes is just too much. I know the intention is to make you feel valued and provide you with a helping hand, but it just makes me feel hounded and pressured at best or suspected of shoplifting at worst.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

walrusman posted:

"Y'all got a cat?" Um...yep.

And if you reply "no, this is for me" somehow you're the weird one.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

People mashing the up + down buttons when waiting for an elevator, just so that they can get on it going the wrong direction. And then furiously mash the close doors button as people going in the correct direction go off.

Which will of course slow things down even more, because people sometimes get confused and step off the elevator because it say, stopped at the 8th instead of 9th floor. Because the person on the 8th floor could not wait for the elevator to go to the 9th, then start going down again.

But hey, just like with busses/trams/subway cars, the most efficient way to travel is to ram yourself onto it as fast as possible, with no regard for letting others off first.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People who won’t step on it when passing at a just-slightly-faster speed, thus spending ages in your blind spot, spending a minute or more creeping alongside, and then finally passing and spending more time with you in their blind spot. Tap the gas and presto, pass over. Idiot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SubNat posted:

People mashing the up + down buttons when waiting for an elevator, just so that they can get on it going the wrong direction. And then furiously mash the close doors button as people going in the correct direction go off.

Which will of course slow things down even more, because people sometimes get confused and step off the elevator because it say, stopped at the 8th instead of 9th floor. Because the person on the 8th floor could not wait for the elevator to go to the 9th, then start going down again.

But hey, just like with busses/trams/subway cars, the most efficient way to travel is to ram yourself onto it as fast as possible, with no regard for letting others off first.

Does the close door button actually close the door any faster?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who think it's okay to drive on in front of pedestrians in the crosswalk?

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

I've had people honk their horns at me because they wanna make a right hand turn and I'm in the crosswalk when it's crosswalk time. I have a cane so I can't just run across the road, and they're just inching closer and closer while i flip them off with my free hand :colbert:

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
People who pull their cars right up over the crosswalk while waiting for a light, forcing me into oncoming traffic. People who PARK over the crosswalk. Man gently caress these assholes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

clockwork chaos posted:

I've had people honk their horns at me because they wanna make a right hand turn and I'm in the crosswalk when it's crosswalk time. I have a cane so I can't just run across the road, and they're just inching closer and closer while i flip them off with my free hand :colbert:

Inching cars ingeneral, ugh. Stop or don’t, I’m not going to step into the street bc I don’t wanna get hit even if the car is going 5kph. Frankly if they’d just go full speed we’d both be on our way faster

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does the close door button actually close the door any faster?

In my experience a large majority are just decorative, but some definitely do work.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Inching cars ingeneral, ugh. Stop or don’t, I’m not going to step into the street bc I don’t wanna get hit even if the car is going 5kph. Frankly if they’d just go full speed we’d both be on our way faster

This.

I remember when I was learning how to drive- I had a great instructor with a thick Romanian accent, and he was adamant about this. He stressed the importance of committing to actions in driving; always follow through with what you start, etc.

"Remember, Sunshine. If you are going to do something, do something. If you are not going to do something, do not do something. Do not try to do half of something; it will not work and it will make everybody pissed off."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

walrusman posted:

In my experience a large majority are just decorative, but some definitely do work.

Peeve for when they do work: when you are pushing the door close button and someone 20 feet away in the lobby starts running saying "hold it please" and they seem deeply offended when you just keep hammering the button. Just wait for the next one, an elevator isn't worth running for especially when there are like 4 other ones.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Peeve for when they do work: when you are pushing the door close button and someone 20 feet away in the lobby starts running saying "hold it please" and they seem deeply offended when you just keep hammering the button.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I have places to go too it isn't an autist thing not to want to wait an extra 30 seconds while they do the fake run/jog thing people do when they realize you're holding it to the elevator.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The assholes who think making light of autism is cool and mature

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Elizabethan Error posted:

The assholes who think making light of autism is cool and mature

THANK YOU.

Add to that: people who think using the ableist r-word in any way, shape or form is acceptable in this day and age. There are plenty of synonyms for those words, such as 'stupid' or 'ridiculous': exercise your vocabulary and avoid indirectly dumping on mentally disabled people, who have enough problems in their lives without being mocked.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who get into a lift and immediately start hammering the "close doors" button. People do this all the time at the train station near my house and I don't understand why. They do it as the people behind them are still walking into the lift, they do it as the doors are already closing, they just seem to do it compulsively.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who take criticism with a BLOCK DON'T EVER CONTACT ME AGAIN stance.

I used to read a webcomic (not CAD in this reference) and I never really enjoyed it, but I read it mostly because i liked the author's other works. The comic's art was loving horrible, the writing was poo poo, but I kept giving it a chance, and finally commented on one of her feeds that I much preferred another work she did (and honestly a lot of her new stuff was a direct rip from Game of Thrones). She sent me a nasty email that she was done dealing with my attitude, and blocked me from her art pages and feeds.

It's like, dude, I'm allowed a critical opinion, and when you block everyone who doesn't comment with "OMG that is so cool!" it doesn't make you a good artist, it makes you look super insecure.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
People who think it's funny to annoy others, especially when those people are 30+ years old and have children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Video games shouldn’t have music when you pause them. It’s extremely annoying to pause a game cause someone is calling you or trying to talk to you from another part of your house and then have to fumble for the remote or get up and physically turn the thing down. I don’t need a totally different score during the pause screen Telltale! I’m pausing because I don’t want to pay attention to you at the moment!