Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Google Assistant rolling out to the Shield.

Its too bad it uses the mic on the remote or controller, neither of which I never use.

Maybe they will actually ship the Nvidia Spot now. That would be fantastic, I really just want one for voice searching in Youtube and etc.

It kind of sucks that I can't just voice search on my phone and have it piped to the Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

Maybe they will actually ship the Nvidia Spot now. That would be fantastic, I really just want one for voice searching in Youtube and etc.

It kind of sucks that I can't just voice search on my phone and have it piped to the Shield.

Will it integrate with Kodi, i.e. can i say "play the latest unwatched linux iso from kodi"?

...and can i get Alexa to forward voice commands to Kodi or the Shield? or is that one step of integration too far?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That will be up to Kodi to implement.

I think I recall there being some work done to get content from Kodi to show up in the recommended list at the top of the Shield home screen, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they'll integrate playback from Assistant.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
SPMC is a fork of Kodi with some Android TV tweaks. It supports voice search and does have recommendations in the top row.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So right now my HTPC setup is a SFF Optiplex 7010 running Windows 10 and PLEX with an SSD for OS + Plex metadata and a 4TB drive for the actual media. It's plugged into a TV via HDMI and we use PLEX Web in Chrome to watch things. Can I basically replicate this with the Shield + external hard drive? If so what are the downsides? I've been asked to setup the same thing for a family member and I really just want a better way of going about it. One thing that might be critical is that this person won't have any internet access. I'd basically put files on a USB stick and transfer them over to the hard drive, turn on my phone hotspot so PLEX can grab the metadata, and then turn off the hotspot and leave and expect everything to keep working.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't know about the no internet thing, but there are no downsides for that use case.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Cool. I figured it'd be fine without internet just wanted to throw it in there in case the shield had something stupid like needing to always have a connection (like my worthless roku which prompted the original HTPC in the first place).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You've been using Plex Web in a browser to watch things on your TV this whole time?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea, it's not elegant but it works fine we just use a wireless mouse to navigate. The problem we have is that we also don't have a home internet connection so that rules out the roku/firestick/chromestick and so on. As far as I can tell using Plex Web is the only option in my use case.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CFox posted:

Yea, it's not elegant but it works fine we just use a wireless mouse to navigate. The problem we have is that we also don't have a home internet connection so that rules out the roku/firestick/chromestick and so on. As far as I can tell using Plex Web is the only option in my use case.

You should be using the Plex Media Player app on your HTPC for playback, not the web app. It's a free download on the Plex site.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I tried that, it's a stuttery laggy mess. Googled the problem and it looks like that's an issue some people have when using the Media Player on the same computer as the server.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Try the Plex plugin for Kodi?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CFox posted:

I tried that, it's a stuttery laggy mess. Googled the problem and it looks like that's an issue some people have when using the Media Player on the same computer as the server.

You mean the UI? Or the media playback? If the latter, did you try enabling hardware decoding? Also, you don't have to use the full-screen TV mode with Plex Media Player. It has the standard mode where it looks exactly like the Plex Web app, but it doesn't lack certain codecs like the web app does, so it direct plays everything.

[edit] Yeah, if your SFF Optiplex has a Core i5 CPU, there should be no reason for Plex to be lagging or stuttering in any fashion on it. Something's up in your Plex Media Player app settings, or the thermals on that PC are bad causing it to throttle or something.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 29, 2017

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I think it was the UI, honestly it was so long ago it's hard to remember. I might give it another try this weekend since my wife and I really hate the new UI that the web player has.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It's really important to me that you stop using the web interface in your living room.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CFox posted:

I think it was the UI, honestly it was so long ago it's hard to remember. I might give it another try this weekend since my wife and I really hate the new UI that the web player has.

Don't "might give it a try" actually give it a try lol. Because you really shouldn't be using the Plex Web app to watch content, unless you're on a Chromebook.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
SPMC Alpha 11 was just released with fixed voice support for the Shield's new Google assistant.

As with all alpha's you have to sideload it (pre-compiled apks are up on the SPMC Github), but it has been stable on the Shield (which is what Koying uses to develop it) for several versions now.

If you have the new controller I believe you can use the always listen mode for voice control; overall voice works pretty well, though I still personally find all voice control outside of "easy text input for searches" to be gimmicky still.

BTW the SPMC alphas are based on Kodi 17, up to 17.4 now, and Koying has added in a few things from v18 as well. It's worth checking out if you use Kodi on a Shield TV in particular.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Any reason why Emby and Media Center Master would have suddenly stopped fetching metadata from thetvdb?

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
The old TVDB api was turned off at the beginning of october, if your programs haven't been updated then they will no longer work. TVDB announced this quite a long time ago, so programs have had plenty of time to update.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Surprise, something about Emby is second-rate

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Emby is working fine with thetvdb

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
What are my best options for dumb amounts of storage running a NUC7I7BNH for a media box? I'm thinking 4ish drives in either RAID 10 or 5.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should get a NAS or just an external drive enclosure. It seems like the NAS is a bunch of extra crappy processors when I could just hook a bunch of drives up via USB enclosure directly to the NUC since I'll be doing any transcoding on the NUC itself.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You want to do a 4 drive raid over usb?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Don Lapre posted:

You want to do a 4 drive raid over usb?
Maybe? I was looking and it seems like it's a thing that exists.

e: I mean, the USB 3 spec is 5gb/s vs ethernet's 1gb/s. Not sure I see a problem.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 11, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A NAS is definitely the correct answer. USB storage has all kinds of performance limitations compared to internal interfaces. Like WiFi, the claimed bandwidth doesn't tell the whole story.

USB RAID is one of those "you can, but you shouldn't" things.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

A NAS is definitely the correct answer. USB storage has all kinds of performance limitations compared to internal interfaces. Like WiFi, the claimed bandwidth doesn't tell the whole story.

USB RAID is one of those "you can, but you shouldn't" things.
Gotcha. Yeah, I know USB isn't the best for sustained transfers, but wasn't sure if it would be the end of the world for streaming media data.

Does the option of USB 3.1 / Thunderbolt 3 change the equation at all? I know they're both supposedly a lot faster.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ImpactVector posted:

Gotcha. Yeah, I know USB isn't the best for sustained transfers, but wasn't sure if it would be the end of the world for streaming media data.

Does the option of USB 3.1 / Thunderbolt 3 change the equation at all? I know they're both supposedly a lot faster.

USB 3.1 improves things a lot but is still the CPU-dependent USB at its core.

Thunderbolt 3 is effectively PCI Express on an external port and at least from a performance standpoint should be pretty much equal to an internal device with a SATA controller on a 2x or 4x PCIe link depending on what your device supports.

The inherent issues of being easier to screw up that come with any external interface still apply. but obviously careful cable management can make this effectively a non-issue.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its just asking for something to get unplugged or power off or something and gently caress up the array.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Don Lapre posted:

Its just asking for something to get unplugged or power off or something and gently caress up the array.
That's an extremely good point and something I hadn't considered, that a RAID array is a lot more sensitive than just a single HDD. I've never had a need for one before, so I've never really thought it out.

Thanks for the advice you two, and sorry for all the dumb questions.

I think I'll end up with a NAS of some kind. The QNAP 451 looks pretty solid unless someone has a better rec.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ImpactVector posted:

That's an extremely good point and something I hadn't considered, that a RAID array is a lot more sensitive than just a single HDD. I've never had a need for one before, so I've never really thought it out.

Thanks for the advice you two, and sorry for all the dumb questions.

I think I'll end up with a NAS of some kind. The QNAP 451 looks pretty solid unless someone has a better rec.

You can build your own pretty cheaply. H110 or b250 board (do you want 4 or 6 sata ports). Pentium g4560/g4600, 4gb ddr4, 300w psu and a case

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've done DIY and I've done prebuilt (Synology), I suggest you just DIY it. You get better hardware, the prices tend to be the same and you get a lot of future expansion. If you ever need transcoding you won't have to worry about the prebuilts weak rear end CPUs. You will pay slightly more in power and more in your personal time for setup.

If you really insist on prebuilt then get a Synology, their package support is much better and the community surrounding it is huge.

There's a NAS thread in SH/SC if you want more advice.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

I've done DIY and I've done prebuilt (Synology), I suggest you just DIY it. You get better hardware, the prices tend to be the same and you get a lot of future expansion. If you ever need transcoding you won't have to worry about the prebuilts weak rear end CPUs. You will pay slightly more in power and more in your personal time for setup.

If you really insist on prebuilt then get a Synology, their package support is much better and the community surrounding it is huge.

There's a NAS thread in SH/SC if you want more advice.

I couldn't be arsed to build one myself so i just sprung for a new Synology DS916+ with 12TB of HDD and 8GB RAM. I'm going to migrate all my Sonarr/Radarr/NZBGet/Plex setup over to docker images on the NAS instead of running them on my PC.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

This is what will get me to retire my last HTPC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrL3EDY3Pyk

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ugh, the new Fire TV doesn't do hardware MPEG2 so live TV is dicey for sports and some DVR playback will choke unless I force Plex to transcode it. So much for retiring my HTPC :mad:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The way things are going it will be years before I stop using my NUC as an HTPC. It wasn't able to play a high bitrate HEVC file smoothly which finally pushed me to try Plex and the transcoding solved that problem for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Shield tv would solve the problems of the last two posts.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I settled for the Fire because I wanted the Alexa integration, I don't really need all the gaming horse power, and I got a cheap bundled Dot on the process. Guess I'll have to go back to needing a Shield

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

My problem was already solved with some free software, instead of spending $300 on hardware. Shield TV wasn't even viable for me until recently when they fixed the refresh rate switching problems it had.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TomR posted:

My problem was already solved with some free software, instead of spending $300 on hardware. Shield TV wasn't even viable for me until recently when they fixed the refresh rate switching problems it had.

Right, I'm just saying the NUC isn't the only thing capable of doing what you talked about, so you're not stuck with it "for years".

Also the Shield is $180 unless you're talking some non US currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm in Canada so that's Canadian dollars.

I wasn't saying I was stuck with my NUC. I am happy to have been able to use it this long without problems, other than the one file being too much for it to software decode. It's worked remarkably well. I will probably jump to something like a Shield TV when I get a 4K HDR TV though. I'm happy to see the Android stuff cleaning up the last few edge case bugs and some of the fancy features are tempting.