Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Notification: add outlook to your device and get 100gb of onedrive storage for two years

tap

gently caress you we don't do that in your service area, here are some error messages. See you again on Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

Notification: add outlook to your device and get 100gb of onedrive storage for two years

tap

gently caress you we don't do that in your service area, here are some error messages. See you again on Wednesday.

explorer - view or whatever - options or whatever - disable sync provider notifications?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yeah, now one drive can't tell me anything at all so I hope it never has anything useful to say, but lol at having to cj it into silence because an ad for someone else won't go away

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

yeah, now one drive can't tell me anything at all so I hope it never has anything useful to say, but lol at having to cj it into silence because an ad for someone else won't go away

do you even get ads if you actually use onedrive? ive got the notifications disabled on my machine since all i need to know is if sync is up to date, which you see in tray

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I get the odd one on desktop but on mobile oh boy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

I get the odd one on desktop but on mobile oh boy

its dead silent on anroid.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

funny story, it was an anroid notification that inspired my little tantrum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

funny story, it was an anroid notification that inspired my little tantrum

oh :v: i have 9 notifications since july 2016

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Knowing Microsoft legacy stuff, I bet the 5 character thing thing comes from a combination of trying to avoid unicode, plus giving a pad area for multiple version of the 5-character prefix, plus some legacy 8-char fun. Account for mjone999, etc.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

5 chars is lol

also long paths being an issue

I don't think long paths have been an actual issue for a long time now

lol @ using a microsoft account as a windows login though

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

my user folder on my home machine is a single character
the user folder on my work machine is 6 characters

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol @ using a microsoft account as a windows login though

it and paths with spaces in their names is still a problem for a lot of command line stuff

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

long paths are a hardcoded NTFS issue and are definitely still a thing, I had a client last year that had a nightmare folder share structure with long-winded filenames that were 12 folders deep and they never listened when we told them to stop doing that

it's weird because if you mount a deeper part of the network as a drive letter that would generally get it to work, too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

univbee posted:

long paths are a hardcoded NTFS issue and are definitely still a thing, I had a client last year that had a nightmare folder share structure with long-winded filenames that were 12 folders deep and they never listened when we told them to stop doing that

it's great fun trying to delete these files only to be told the file names are too long for the recycle bin, even though files you erase on network drives don't go there

"your folders are all called z now, gently caress you"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

they are, and while explorer will happily let you create paths longer than the limit, many file operations will fail when interacting with them

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

infernal machines posted:

they are, and while explorer will happily let you create paths longer than the limit, many file operations will fail when interacting with them

I'm using refs in order to fix this but haven't tested it yet. I prefer to live in blissful ignorance

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

univbee posted:

it's weird because if you mount a deeper part of the network as a drive letter that would generally get it to work, too

Visual studio can trigger this issue when downloading nuget packages.

It's absurd that this is still a problem in 2017.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chalks posted:

Visual studio can trigger this issue when downloading nuget packages.

It's absurd that this is still a problem in 2017.

i think it is one of those that's loused up 30 years of applications by being a #define in a win32 header, so you can't just let it loose as it'll be a buffer overflow in everything everywhere

in windows 10 the limit is a group policy, but applications have to opt in via manifest to work with it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Visual Studio question: What makes enterprise edition worth so much more ?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

it and paths with spaces in their names is still a problem for a lot of command line stuff

if someone is too stupid to wrap parameters in quotes to accommodate this then its their own fault

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

Visual Studio question: What makes enterprise edition worth so much more ?

it has additional tools and features for things like testing and debugging and probably some other things. whether they're worth it to you depends entirely on what you're doing and if you want to stick w/ stuff from Microsoft or use 3rd party stuff. like one of the things in enterprise is a data mock tool, but obv you can do data mocking without it. Unless you need a majority of the additional features its prob not worth it.

also its probably the default purchase option for larger orgs so they don't even think about what they're actually getting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Microsoft doesn’t test or debug so I don’t know why you’d pay extra for their tools to do that

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i should qualify that I won't be buying it at all, just wondering what could justify the price tag and jump from the previous tier

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah for most devs its totally not even close to worth it but I'm sure there are people for whom it is worth it for the whole suite and then the aforementioned enterprise purchasing where large corps buy it cause why not buy the whole thing? Also they don't pay retail prices.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

univbee posted:

ntfs isn't the problem, it can handle paths with 32k+ characters. the problem is that various bits of the win32 filesystem api and legacy apps (like explorer.exe*) still have a hardcoded path limit. MAX_PATH is still defined to 260 like it's 1998 and to use extended paths you explicitly have to prefix them with "\\?\", which many applications don't do.

*maybe they finally fixed this, idk i haven't really touched a windows machine for a while

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
petition to change thread title to, "Windows Insider? more like micro soft inside 'er!"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

petition to change thread title to, "Windows Insider? more like micro soft inside 'er!"

petition DENIED :owned:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

ntfs isn't the problem, it can handle paths with 32k+ characters. the problem is that various bits of the win32 filesystem api and legacy apps (like explorer.exe*) still have a hardcoded path limit. MAX_PATH is still defined to 260 like it's 1998 and to use extended paths you explicitly have to prefix them with "\\?\", which many applications don't do.

*maybe they finally fixed this, idk i haven't really touched a windows machine for a while

yeah i thought raymond chen mtnioned this at one point and said that theyd love to change it but it would break binary compabitiilty for virtually every windows program or something

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i just ran a robocopy script where the destination was '%appdata%\some poo poo here' and instead of expanding %appdata% out it created a folder called %appdata% in the working directory, which i literally cannot access through explorer or the command prompt, as any attempts to cd to %appdata% get redirected

microsoft

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

yeah i thought raymond chen mtnioned this at one point and said that theyd love to change it but it would break binary compabitiilty for virtually every windows program or something

i wonder if keeping long path support out of explorer.exe was a passive-aggressive attempt to enforce the legacy limit so that people couldn't put my_garbage_app.exe in a folder with a long path and have it mysteriously fail because internally it does

code:
char path[MAX_PATH];
GetCurrentDirectoryA(MAX_PATH, path);
and just assumes that it will always work because a path can't be longer than MAX_PATH, right?

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 7, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

hmm

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
did microsoft ever attempt using new langs other than .net for their programs? i am assuming as a huge company they will have some extra people to experiment with new poo poo but at the same time this is the same company that popularized stack ranking so....

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

.net is the runtime not a language, you can already use many different languages on the .net CLR, Microsoft publish a few like C#, managed C++, and F#.

In terms of alternative runtimes I think there has been a lot of research trying to support multiple inheritance but idk what came of it.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 7, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NEED MORE MILK posted:

i just ran a robocopy script where the destination was '%appdata%\some poo poo here' and instead of expanding %appdata% out it created a folder called %appdata% in the working directory, which i literally cannot access through explorer or the command prompt, as any attempts to cd to %appdata% get redirected

microsoft

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

MrMoo posted:

.net is the runtime not a language, you can already use many different languages on the .net CLR, Microsoft publish a few like C#, managed C++, and F#.

In terms of alternative runtimes I think there has been a lot of research trying to support multiple inheritance but idk what came of it.

i meant the .net umbrella obviously

what i was looking for was whether microsoft experimented with langs like ocaml, delphi, go, rust, lisp, haskell, etc...

i know their engineers have but what about the company itself?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol well I think you could do UWP apps in js for a while there but the people who want to write windows desktop apps are the same people who are happy with c#

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NEED MORE MILK posted:

microsoft
did you do it inside a powershell window because that's the only way i can imagine loving that up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i meant the .net umbrella obviously

what i was looking for was whether microsoft experimented with langs like ocaml, delphi, go, rust, lisp, haskell, etc...

they started w/ java but sun kicked them out so that's where c# came from. c# and java are the best languages so aside from c and c++ there really isn't anything else you'd want to work with if ur @ Microsoft.

Microsoft does have some research languages like Haskell, but obv that's not for production use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Microsoft officially supported Iron Python from what I can google, BofA like using that for some of their desktop apps. Does that count?