Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Can someone read over my Mario fanfiction before I submit it to the anthology? It's about Mario's adventures with a magic diaper named Nappy and by flinging Nappy at people and animals he can possess them, getting to experience the amazing excretions from all over the many kingdoms in Mario's world. I've already done a bunch of cutting so it's at a svelte 30,000 words, I'm just looking for someone with an open mind to give some constructive feedback. TIA!~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
[extremely Mario voice] Oh no!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A new room was discovered in the Great Pyramid this week. It was already in AssCO since launch, proving that the French are in fact psychic alien overlords.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Can someone read over my Mario fanfiction before I submit it to the anthology? It's about Mario's adventures with a magic diaper named Nappy and by flinging Nappy at people and animals he can possess them, getting to experience the amazing excretions from all over the many kingdoms in Mario's world. I've already done a bunch of cutting so it's at a svelte 30,000 words, I'm just looking for someone with an open mind to give some constructive feedback. TIA!~

Just pretend I pasted this myself except instead of nappy it's "bappy" and instead of magic diaper it's a magic brassiere and mario gets to experience the amazing busts across the many kingdoms, and also it hasn't been cut down yet so pretend I added in some part about searching for an editor or two to wade through my lengthy visual novel "Ex-Plumbers Don't Wear Bras"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Saint Freak posted:

A new room was discovered in the Great Pyramid this week. It was already in AssCO since launch, proving that the French are in fact psychic alien overlords.

This is like in Jurassic Park when they invented 6ft tall human sized raptors and a couple years later they discovered actual specimens of them in Utah.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Mario's gloves are destroyed in a fight with Bowser, but a talking glove named Slappy lends him a hand.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but I never really get hating characters, in like any piece of media, besides like legitimately poorly written or pointlessly offensive characters. Like the extreme vitriol people have towards like lets say a Game of Throne character always kinda bothers me and makes me uncomfortable. Like I get it, its fictional so I guess for most people its like "this doesn't matter, so I can let my feelings flow" but for me its always been like "oh this character has traits that would annoyed me in real life, but hey I get to actually enjoy them in fiction".

The only video game character I hate that I can think of is Waylon from Advance Wars, and even then like I have a certain amount of love for him because of just how much emotion he reacts from me.

But yeah, I rather take a character with some sort of personality than just a bland girl/boy, even if they are abrasive. Hell Alpha Protocol proves you can create a MC that allows player projection while still making them an intriguing person with a bit of personality.

What ends up happening is that terrible character gets in the way of a character you like and people project themselves into different aspects of fiction. If Character A is your only tie to this world and Character B fucks them over well there's no point in caring anymore. And since something like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead are 100% character driven, once your anchor is gone what's the point in continuing? To get that white hot narrative and compelling plot twists?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ted Faro is a fuckboy and a character I love to hate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

Kotaku doesn't really have reviews anymore, they only review very, very big releases and they don't give scores or even really big recs, they're just rundowns of the game.

Imo reviews are a huge waste of time for a staff that could be working on *coughs* journalism *sputters* in this modern quicklook age.

The only worthwhile criticism about games is always out months later anyway when the player has had time to play without a deadline. Unfortunately the most popular medium for this criticism is 45+ min youtube videos :barf:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Imo reviews are a huge waste of time for a staff that could be working on *coughs* journalism *sputters* in this modern quicklook age.

The only worthwhile criticism about games is always out months later anyway when the player has had time to play without a deadline. Unfortunately the most popular medium for this criticism is 45+ min youtube videos :barf:

Superlong video reviews are only interesting to watch when the subject in question is such a colossal failure that there's some entertainment value in analyzing every single thing that went wrong. Conversely it's really boring to hear some nerd heap unequivocal hate or praise upon something for 60 minutes straight, which is why I prefer the long-form videos that focus on just 1-2 elements without trying to make a value judgment on the game as a whole. These are somewhat harder to find as video game analysis has just barely emerged from "game gud/bad" status.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish justin and griffin would do overviews again

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Hard to do longform analysis on games on release, when most reviewers don't have access to review copies really early.

And releasing stuff like that later isn't beneficial to most consumers either, who want to buy the thing right now. Not to mention the site losing out on early review clicks that directly convert to more money.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

The ACG reviews are pretty concise but the format isn't perfect. The GiantBomb Quicklooks are the gold standard imo and even with the longer videos I can jump in about 20% through and immediately get a feel for whether or not I'm interested. I liked the Game Trailers reviews back when they existed but I don't think you can beat raw, moment to moment gameplay footage without editing or a script for me to make an educated decision. I like that there's someone there to ask questions of the person playing, although since the QLs don't require the person playing to have mastered the game there are some frustrating bits where they don't seem to grasp and obvious mechanic.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

oddium posted:

i wish justin and griffin would do overviews again

i wish justin and griffin were the only people working at polygon, period

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I like the Giantbomb quicklooks because you can kind of tell if the game is worth buying just based on the enthusiasm in their voices as they're playing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I like the Giantbomb quicklooks because you can kind of tell if the game is worth buying just based on the enthusiasm in their voices as they're playing.

on the other hand sometimes the giant bomb guys get hung up on really weird things or miss things that are super obvious

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but I never really get hating characters, in like any piece of media, besides like legitimately poorly written or pointlessly offensive characters. Like the extreme vitriol people have towards like lets say a Game of Throne character always kinda bothers me and makes me uncomfortable. Like I get it, its fictional so I guess for most people its like "this doesn't matter, so I can let my feelings flow" but for me its always been like "oh this character has traits that would annoyed me in real life, but hey I get to actually enjoy them in fiction".

Sometimes you just love to hate a character.

Like Dio Brando. There's a charismatic fucker everybody just loves to hate. Just a complete and utter asswipe, doesn't matter how he was raised, it's fate itself that guided him to that lifestyle and boy is it just marvelous to see how much of a lovely bastard he can be.

I suspect that isn't what you necessarily mean with hating characters though.

exquisite tea posted:

Superlong video reviews are only interesting to watch when the subject in question is such a colossal failure that there's some entertainment value in analyzing every single thing that went wrong. Conversely it's really boring to hear some nerd heap unequivocal hate or praise upon something for 60 minutes straight, which is why I prefer the long-form videos that focus on just 1-2 elements without trying to make a value judgment on the game as a whole. These are somewhat harder to find as video game analysis has just barely emerged from "game gud/bad" status.

There are times I like seeing vids that defend a game that seemed to be wrongly slammed (or otherwise ignored), but yeah making a feature length video focused around why your own opinion is the only correct one is....well, it's just kinda sad.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

This is like in Jurassic Park when they invented 6ft tall human sized raptors and a couple years later they discovered actual specimens of them in Utah.

But, but they don’t have feathers!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a guy on youtube who made 15 30 minute videos explaining why he hates a 13 episode anime. you'll note that watching those videos takes longer than watching the anime yourself and drawing your own conclusions.

i like longform analysis if it's actual analysis. like matthewmatosis has a freaking 3 hour long epic on devil may cry but it's him talking about the actual design of the game, facts about its development, etc, not just 'this game is good because ___' and also the video playing is just a straight runthrough of the game with no editing or anything so he talks about things as they happen in the footage. so thats kind of a fun video.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

The ACG reviews are pretty concise but the format isn't perfect. The GiantBomb Quicklooks are the gold standard imo and even with the longer videos I can jump in about 20% through and immediately get a feel for whether or not I'm interested. I liked the Game Trailers reviews back when they existed but I don't think you can beat raw, moment to moment gameplay footage without editing or a script for me to make an educated decision. I like that there's someone there to ask questions of the person playing, although since the QLs don't require the person playing to have mastered the game there are some frustrating bits where they don't seem to grasp and obvious mechanic.

Acg has 2 problems:

1. Graphics and sound take up 50% of the review and you have to jump to a random spot in the middle to hear about gameplay
2. His scripts are embarrassing like hes got family guy writers making his wacky comparisons

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, red letter media star wars reviews own, too, and they, too, are longer than the movies :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Truga posted:

I mean, red letter media star wars reviews own, too, and they, too, are longer than the movies :v:
i think the rlm star wars reviews are kinda dull and the bit gets really repetitive. but then again i dont think the star wars prequels are the worst thing ever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Truga posted:

Those were also a mixture of review and pseudo-story though, where it was a legit review of the movies but also a movie about the kind of person who might be so obsessed enough to make such a video.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Isn't it generally the case that criticism and critique takes longer to get through than the original work? Like, if you're really trying to break it down.

E: maybe not in video games, but in film, theatre, and literature? I feel like I could put together a video essay on Mario Odyssey and it would be shorter than a full playthrough.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 6, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Isn't it generally the case that criticism and critique takes longer to get through than the original work? Like, if you're really trying to break it down.

All books about hamlet are longer than hamlet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

There are times I like seeing vids that defend a game that seemed to be wrongly slammed (or otherwise ignored), but yeah making a feature length video focused around why your own opinion is the only correct one is....well, it's just kinda sad.

I think people would probably enjoy more video games and life in general if, instead of allowing their personal opinion of the product color their perception of absolutely everything, attempted to really take an honest look at what the work is trying to accomplish thematically and how it succeeds or fails on its own terms.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean part of the issue is just that the criticism has the depth of an average tweet but its spread out so long by nitpicking every single tiny detail as if each minor animation error needs to be mocked individually

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

Depends on the kind of criticism and critique and the media being criticized and critiqued. For something like movies or songs with a hard runtime, it certainly can vary, but I'm absolutely certain there are published literary critiques of other published works that vary from being longer to shorter than the work they're criticizing, and the same can go for games where someone can do a massive writeup on Pong and its importance and the simple design elements and what makes everything about it so great and then summarize something like no man's sky by cutting to a clip of them mashing random keys on a keyboard for a few seconds.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

on the other hand sometimes the giant bomb guys get hung up on really weird things or miss things that are super obvious
Yeah they can be notorious for some of that.

I watch/listen to a lot of GB but if I'm honest usually not the Quick Looks. If I want their critical take on a given game, I usually find the bomb/beastcasts to be better deep dives on what they do or do not like about a given game. The QLs can often be interesting but they do so many that unless they are really bad games giving way for a really funny QL (the Bequest QL comes to mind) I usually don't bother.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

E: maybe not in video games, but in film, theatre, and literature?

Not really in film unless somebody wrote a book about a single movie which never reeally happens. I can't speak to other fields

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

i mean part of the issue is just that the criticism has the depth of an average tweet but its spread out so long by nitpicking every single tiny detail as if each minor animation error needs to be mocked individually

Yeah. its people who want to provide something "smart" about gaming but they still grew up probably just reading video game reviews and not much else so they just mumble about Verticality or Mechanics for like 80 minutes with no real purpose

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Not really in film unless somebody wrote a book about a single movie which never reeally happens

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hating a character is the same as loving a character or setting or story or something from entertainment. It is showing that you, as a human, have emotionally connected in some way to the medium you are enjoying. To hate a character, as hate is the joint strongest of emotions, is essentially feeling an emotional reaction to a series of things they do that goes against the very fibre of your character. It is truly great because it means for a moment you have allowed yourself to be immersed in precisely the way the author/creator was hoping to grab you.

I love Horizon Zero Dawn, and when I learned about Ted Faro I disliked him. I thought he was another one of those bad guy villains you would see on TV or anywhere else. I was already in love with the kind of strength Aloy showed during her cut scenes so I knew she had resolve and her own viewpoint apart from mine and felt real.

Then I learned more and on a very visceral level I felt hatred for the character of Ted Faro. I cannot adequately explain how much anger and depression of emotion a few of the plot points caused me as it was not just the thoughts but the way I felt during playthrough that utterly grabbed me. I was caught up in the moment, there with Aloy, learning the truth and feeling a sense of hopelessness.

It is rare that this will happen to me, so it is always a 'hindsight' joy that it does. :D

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think there's a star wars podcast where they do an episode for each minute of the movies

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Now I'm reminded of the time that I was gonna make an LP as a criticism of another LP but by the time I got around to doing it, the criticism would have no longer been relevant so I just abandoned the whole thing.

LPs in general are an interesting method of potentially doing critique. If done that way, it offers the player a chance to (potentially) summarize a game and truly break down the faults of the art, the design, the writing, music, the gameplay, etc, though it can also backfire and you just end up with a mess of nitpicking over seemingly innocuous or otherwise harmless things.

I think that's why I enjoy playing so many games that are bad. For the most part, they are complete and utter trash, but I think it's fun to pick through the refuse of media and see what fell by the wayside and why, or what was simply never seen to begin with, for better or for worse.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's a family in line in front of me at the grocery store and i think the little boy's name is Lightning

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hating Waylon is perfectly natural btw, especially after his awful loving level.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I think people would probably enjoy more video games and life in general if, instead of allowing their personal opinion of the product color their perception of absolutely everything, attempted to really take an honest look at what the work is trying to accomplish thematically and how it succeeds or fails on its own terms.

That sounds hard. I'm just going to operate under the assumption that I like games with ZELDA written on the box and that they must all be perfect.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cases in point: Septerra Core & Nightcry are both games that are not "good" in the sense of being well-designed titles that are thrilling to play through, but I feel like both titles are worth your time if you have a passing interest in seeing what they have to offer. Both games had heart. They had soul. There are times I'll play a garbage game and I can tell that whatever was going on with the devs, that they were just kinda phoning it all in. Grotesque Tactics is an example of that, where none of the gameplay features complement each other and the game is too busy trying (and failing) to make you laugh to actually bother with having a good game. Septerra Core is chunky and the battles are slow as hell, but dammit it's got that spark of enthusiasm, like the devs really did try their hardest. Same with Nightcry. That game is ugly but it feels like the devs did exactly what they set out to do in recapturing the spirit of the first two clock tower games.

So uh hey how's everybody's morning going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been contemplating getting back into Dead Rising (having only finished the first game long ago) but watching someone else play makes me wary of the rest of the games. Like I love the concept of Dead Rising but the boss design is pure bullshit. How is anyone supposed to beat this Brandon character without bringing a lot of OJ or the dude on the bicycle without tricking him into a corner? It's that weird deliberate arcadey Japanese style of design that turns me off where an enemy brushes against you and you fly backwards spinning eight times in the air.

• Locked thread