Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

EVH used soldanos for a while and I’ve heard the 5150= ripoff soldano thing before.

That said, I don’t think it’s universal that all hi gain amps have bad clean channels, the mark series cleans are decent.

Also, the fender twin is held up as the best clean ever but it has a particular twangy pokey quality to the kids that I don’t like. The fender deluxe sound is sparklier and closer to my ideal clean as well as providing the basis for a shitload of the amps that decended from it.

If you want your tones to sound consistent from amp to amp I’d just keep the same cab sim.

The EVH being a ripoff of the Soldano makes sense to me. I just didn't realise the Soldano had any Mesa in it.

I actually prefer the kinda glassy Marshall cleans above all else, but switching from a screechy Recto to a Woofy Marshall as a clean doesn't really work. If I'm just going for a straight, awesome clean sound, I've got plenty of options (quite frankly, I like Vox cleans) but it's the switching between the two "channels" where things start to feel off if the clean\metal amps are totally different. I want to try to get them in a similar sort of ballpark. Using the same cab sim doesn't give that consistent tone\feel when switching if the mid response\character is very different. It feels\sounds like you've switched to another amp, whereas I want it to sound like I switched to another channel of the same amp. If you'll forgive me for using such a wanky term, I'm looking for tonal similarities, rather than just "good clean tones"

Shugojin posted:

The Mark series started with modified Bassman circuits and apocryphally so did Marshall amps. Bassman started in 1952 and Marshall was officially established in 1960 so I rate that as at least possible.

I thought it was the Bandmaster, but you're correct. It was the Bassman. Cheers for the tip :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

massive spider posted:

Also, the fender twin is held up as the best clean ever but it has a particular twangy pokey quality to the kids that I don’t like. The fender deluxe sound is sparklier and closer to my ideal clean as well as providing the basis for a shitload of the amps that decended from it.

What you're probably hearing is the difference in the rectifier and the output transformer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

H13 posted:

The EVH being a ripoff of the Soldano makes sense to me. I just didn't realise the Soldano had any Mesa in it.

I actually prefer the kinda glassy Marshall cleans above all else, but switching from a screechy Recto to a Woofy Marshall as a clean doesn't really work. If I'm just going for a straight, awesome clean sound, I've got plenty of options (quite frankly, I like Vox cleans) but it's the switching between the two "channels" where things start to feel off if the clean\metal amps are totally different. I want to try to get them in a similar sort of ballpark. Using the same cab sim doesn't give that consistent tone\feel when switching if the mid response\character is very different. It feels\sounds like you've switched to another amp, whereas I want it to sound like I switched to another channel of the same amp. If you'll forgive me for using such a wanky term, I'm looking for tonal similarities, rather than just "good clean tones"

I thought it was the Bandmaster, but you're correct. It was the Bassman. Cheers for the tip :)

Throw a Bogner Uberschall pedal in front of your ideal clean amp? There has to be some kind of preamp type pedal to eliminate a need to channel switch at all, probably.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sockington posted:

Throw a Bogner Uberschall pedal in front of your ideal clean amp? There has to be some kind of preamp type pedal to eliminate a need to channel switch at all, probably.

amptweaker's stuff is set up to work as a switchable extra channel if you put it in an effects loop and run the pedal's side loop out to the amp's input

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

jwh posted:

What you're probably hearing is the difference in the rectifier and the output transformer.

Can you expand on that a bit? I'm curious, as I had a silverface Twin (pre-master volume) for a short time, but I found it a bit sterile sounding. I've gotten rid of almost all of my Fenders now, but I'm getting along pretty well with a silverface Super Reverb running into a bass cabinet.

I thought the Twin would be the perfect amp for big beefy sounds, but it didn't really sound warm and powerful. Seemed more like an amp for keeping a single-coil guitar sounding crisp at high volumes.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Gorgar posted:

Can you expand on that a bit? I'm curious, as I had a silverface Twin (pre-master volume) for a short time, but I found it a bit sterile sounding. I've gotten rid of almost all of my Fenders now, but I'm getting along pretty well with a silverface Super Reverb running into a bass cabinet.

I thought the Twin would be the perfect amp for big beefy sounds, but it didn't really sound warm and powerful. Seemed more like an amp for keeping a single-coil guitar sounding crisp at high volumes.

Honestly, in my experience they're all different. I owned a '72 master volume non-ultralinear that sounded awful and a '80 ultralinear that sounded great, despite the fact that the conventional wisdom is that the ultralinear Twins always sound bad. The best sounding Twin Reverb I've ever come across, of any kind, was a '69 silverface. Conversely, I have a '68 silverface Super Reverb that has always sounded great, and a '69 silverface Deluxe that might be the single best sounding amp I've ever heard.

There's a lot of variability. I once put in some Weber Chicago speakers into a silverface Twin and I thought it sounded awful compared to the stock JBLs, but the JBLs didn't sound good with distortion. I once went to a recording studio that had replaced the speakers in all of their Fender amps with Celestions, and that was very weird indeed. I don't know what they were thinking.

But getting back to the PI and the output transformer, those were the big changes between the AB763 blackface circuit and what came after. Fender tried to tame distortion in the phase inverter by changing the grid resistors and lowering the value of the plate resistors, as well as changing the coupling caps to allow more bass. The result of which is what people often describe as sterile, or "hi-fi" sounding. I think they can still sound pretty good though. The speakers really make the big difference. In my opinion probably the best speaker for that classic silverface Twin sound is a Jensen ceramic C12N. You could argue Alnicos, but Twin's are heavy enough already.

edit: I forgot about the rectifier- all Twin Reverb's were solid-state (diode) rectified, whereas the Deluxe was tube rectified with GZ34. The GZ34 does not source current as well as the diode rectifier, and part of the Deluxe sound is the rectifier struggling to keep up with the current demands of the output section. Also the Deluxe output transformer is much smaller so it saturates much more quickly than the Twin's.

jwh fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 31, 2017

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Went to a shop today and checked out a Quilter Overdrive 200 and I still haven’t got my jaw off the floor. What an unbelievable amp. I would have thought it was a 100 watt tube amp if you told me so while I was playing it. Class D solid state is the future. They gave me a deal on it so I bought it on the spot.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just realized I have a real treat for you guys at home.
My Dad sent me hi-res pics of his '57 Twin combo, in a chassis and cabinet from MojoTone. He was having trouble with it until he scoured the schematic and found the one misplaced wire. Once he corrected the problem he's practically weeping in love with the amp. It's exactly what he was hoping for.

SO....

Since then he has decided to do another build: The plan was to build a head-version with upgraded transformers and a few different caps.
I suggested he'd need to buy or build a cabinet, and at first he resisted. Then he sent me pictures of all this cabinetry and I was shocked:

It's now an open-back head/combo with a 12" C12N and he did all the cabinetry himself. I don't have pics of it with the components inside but you have to see his routing/joinery (pre-sanding.) The amp is done but he hasn't applied the tweed covering yet. I only have pics of the cabinetry right now, but his joinery is tight as hell.
He also built a 2x12 close-back cabinet to go with it.

He says his idea is that the head is super-portable with the "monitor speaker" (O c'mon, Dad, you built a combo, just say so) it's always under load and perfect for moving around.
He designed his own impedance switching circuit so when he plugs in his home-built 2x12" cabinet the speaker in the head is defeated and the 2x12" takes over.
He's a madman.

I asked him, very gingerly, what it would cost if I wanted one of these one-off combos and by the time he got to $1,000.oo I said, "Ok, I've heard enough."

I'll host and share all the pics I have so far when I get home from work and follow up with the new amp when it's finished.

I practically poo poo myself. My Dad is some craftsman, that's for sure.

Stand by!

E: Typos

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 1, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
~BUMP~
Surprise! Dad just sent me an e-mail with new pics of his head/combo unit and cabinet as they are today. Finish-sanded and awaiting their tweed covering. I thought Dad wanted my Jensen C12N for the head/combo but it looks like he's got a 10" speaker in there now, so unless he has another baffle board ready (wouldn't surprise me a bit, knowing him) I'm not sure why he needs it. I've sent an e-mail asking, and also for pics of the new circuit with the new transformers and caps.
Anyway...

Buckle up! Dude's Crazy.

First: The combo that he built into a MojoTone chassis and MojoTone combo cabinet. I have some new high-res pictures:

Next, his Head/Combo and 2x12" Cabinet as they are today:

Pretty sure that blurry black pedal on the floor in the background is his original 1980's tc electronic chorus/flanger, [edit]and just to the right of it you can see just the left edge on an old Ibanez UE-300 Multi-Effect stombox, (and yes, that's a POD HD in the back there. He liked mine so much he grabbed one just for the hell of it):

Note: everything from the huge fireplace/mantle/bookshelf on the left to all the cabinets and those unfinished speakers, and the brown media cabinet on the right... that's all stuff he built himself, too.

Thanksgiving is going to be interesting. If I get pictures of the amps with tweed+grill-cloth I'll come back and share.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 1, 2017

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Dr. Faustus posted:

amazing stuff from best Dad ever
Do you think your Dad will either adopt me or allow me to become his apprentice? Holy poo poo, that is loving awesome. You must be proud!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
To be honest, he's a real jerk. Just super-anal and talented. The less said the better.

He answered my questions: The old Fender speakers in the cab are temporary. He's got a baffle-board ready for my Jensen C12N cut and ready to replace the 2x10" setup he has in there now and the first thing we're gonna do when I get up there is swap out the 2x10s for the Jensen. I doubt he'll keep that Celestion G10R in the head, either.

It's true he works to incredible tolerances and produces extremely high-quality stuff. It's nice to see him putting his skills to use like this. I can't wait to play these amps.

E: And to be honest, it's a great story for this thread. He graduated High School in '57 and this amp is a replica of a '57 that Eric Clapton played. He's always wanted one. Now he'll have two. That's true amplifier worship.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 1, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The detail and care put into that says a lot about the person who made it. That can go a lot of ways. That poo poo is amazing. For some reason I really loved the neatness of the common ground bus for the pots.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t have anything to add really but gently caress that’s so cool.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Went out to some antique malls today looking for some side tables for my living room. I found this old TV that someone gutted and turned into an amp. Obviously in pretty rough shape, but drat I hope I can find a tech close by to get it working again...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That's neat!

Someone listed an old silvertone guitar with case. The case has an olllld low watt volume-only tube amp build in. I'd probably be more interested if it were under $500 and all the tubes were easily findable with Google but neither is the case.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Scarf posted:

Went out to some antique malls today looking for some side tables for my living room. I found this old TV that someone gutted and turned into an amp. Obviously in pretty rough shape, but drat I hope I can find a tech close by to get it working again...

Careful, that looks like an AA5 transformerless circuit (if that transformer is an OT).

Don't electrocute yourself.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

jwh posted:

Careful, that looks like an AA5 transformerless circuit (if that transformer is an OT).

Don't electrocute yourself.

Oh I'm not doin poo poo to it... I'm taking it to a professional :)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I've got a couple pre-Supergroup Laneys. Four-hole, like a Marshall. Problem: the treble channels are noisy or dead.

I was plugging into the bass channel, then jumpering the treble. Sounded great. Then the treble started getting noisy. It died entirely on one of them and only the bass channel is usable. On the other one, it's noisy (not very, but a little hum vs the zero hum the bass channel has).

This sounds like preamp tubes to me, but I'm no expert.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Gorgar posted:

I've got a couple pre-Supergroup Laneys. Four-hole, like a Marshall. Problem: the treble channels are noisy or dead.

I was plugging into the bass channel, then jumpering the treble. Sounded great. Then the treble started getting noisy. It died entirely on one of them and only the bass channel is usable. On the other one, it's noisy (not very, but a little hum vs the zero hum the bass channel has).

Get the schematic and try switching out the various channel preamp tubes

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Gorgar posted:

Sounds like preamp tubes to me too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thankfully preamp tubes are far cheaper than power tubes and are self-biasing.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 20, 2017

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I wonder if it would be worth trying 12AY7s in there. The treble channel gain is sort of touchy. Not much window between inaudible and too loud. No master volume, and I'm dropping the signal with a volume pedal anyway.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Gorgar posted:

I wonder if it would be worth trying 12AY7s in there. The treble channel gain is sort of touchy. Not much window between inaudible and too loud. No master volume, and I'm dropping the signal with a volume pedal anyway.

You can always try. I built an amp that only used 12AY7s in the preamp and phase inverter, and it sounded pretty good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but do you guys have a consensus on a ‘best’ or ‘go to’ desktop amp sim between AmpliTube, BIAS, TH, Guitar Rig, etc? I want something that’ll easily work with Ableton but I assume they all do that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but do you guys have a consensus on a ‘best’ or ‘go to’ desktop amp sim between AmpliTube, BIAS, TH, Guitar Rig, etc? I want something that’ll easily work with Ableton but I assume they all do that.
Bias is the one I tried and it's cool for that. If you don't mind having the actual amp, though? The Yamaha THR (the 10x in my case) is pretty much all I use at home anymore.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There are demos for all of those. I compared a bunch and BIAS was by far the best out of the box in my opinion.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

There are demos for all of those. I compared a bunch and BIAS was by far the best out of the box in my opinion.

Agreed, with Amplitube a close second imo.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

lepou plugins for amps, guitarhack impulse set for your cab sim

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
~2 weeks back I picked up a Vox Student V-5 amp from 1965 with a 70's LP copy for $100. It is an odd-ball, made in the US by Thomas Organ, rare but probably not very valuable in comparison to other Vox amps from the '60s. Depending on what specs you read, it's from 1-5 watts into a 7" Vox labeled speaker. Uses the same tube setup that was a staple of 1930's AM radio sets, and is very similar to some Danelectro and Harmony amps from the same time period. One knob that serves as the power switch and volume control which was scratchy as hell. Amp was not working, just loudly humming.

Got around to looking at it last weekend, and the first thing I saw was that the leads from the output transformer were broken off the connection tabs and soldered directly to the speaker leads, and very poorly at that. Fixed all that and soldered in new speaker wires, and the thing fired right up, albeit still with some hum present, but way less than before. Also, the included guitar cable has a broken connector, which made it hum even louder.

This week I got a chance to go poking around, and there's one definitely suspicious cap, but by shifting it away from the tube socket about 90% of the hum went away. For my purposes, I might just leave it as is, but I did spend the money to get new caps to recap the whole thing. Of course, that's only 5 capacitors, much easier job that redoing my Twin or Bandmaster. Also blew out the switch with contact cleaner, and it's nice and quiet.

The amp itself is not very loud. At full volume, it might annoy the neighbors if you're in an apartment. Tone wise, it is very bright, almost too bright with a Strat, yet my Telecaster sounds great. Single coils don't really push it hard enough to break up, but humbuckers do after about 8 on the volume. Throw in a boost pedal(EH LPB-1) and it starts to get really dirty, but still kind of bright. First amp where I actually would use the tone controls on the guitar. Could probably be tamed a little by moving to an 8" speaker, but I don't want to cut ii up to make it fit.

Now to decide if I want to just leave it as is for a while or change the caps when I get the new ones. Leaning towards leaving it alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

widefault posted:

~2 weeks back I picked up a Vox Student V-5 amp from 1965 with a 70's LP copy for $100. It is an odd-ball, made in the US by Thomas Organ, rare but probably not very valuable in comparison to other Vox amps from the '60s. Depending on what specs you read, it's from 1-5 watts into a 7" Vox labeled speaker. Uses the same tube setup that was a staple of 1930's AM radio sets, and is very similar to some Danelectro and Harmony amps from the same time period. One knob that serves as the power switch and volume control which was scratchy as hell. Amp was not working, just loudly humming.

Got around to looking at it last weekend, and the first thing I saw was that the leads from the output transformer were broken off the connection tabs and soldered directly to the speaker leads, and very poorly at that. Fixed all that and soldered in new speaker wires, and the thing fired right up, albeit still with some hum present, but way less than before. Also, the included guitar cable has a broken connector, which made it hum even louder.

This week I got a chance to go poking around, and there's one definitely suspicious cap, but by shifting it away from the tube socket about 90% of the hum went away. For my purposes, I might just leave it as is, but I did spend the money to get new caps to recap the whole thing. Of course, that's only 5 capacitors, much easier job that redoing my Twin or Bandmaster. Also blew out the switch with contact cleaner, and it's nice and quiet.

The amp itself is not very loud. At full volume, it might annoy the neighbors if you're in an apartment. Tone wise, it is very bright, almost too bright with a Strat, yet my Telecaster sounds great. Single coils don't really push it hard enough to break up, but humbuckers do after about 8 on the volume. Throw in a boost pedal(EH LPB-1) and it starts to get really dirty, but still kind of bright. First amp where I actually would use the tone controls on the guitar. Could probably be tamed a little by moving to an 8" speaker, but I don't want to cut ii up to make it fit.

Now to decide if I want to just leave it as is for a while or change the caps when I get the new ones. Leaning towards leaving it alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Put the speaker on a jack instead of wires. You can unplug the stock speaker and jam it through a more modern 1x12 or whatever when wanted.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

widefault posted:

The good news is that at least that amp has a power transformer, unlike the 'all american five' circuits.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Sockington posted:

Put the speaker on a jack instead of wires. You can unplug the stock speaker and jam it through a more modern 1x12 or whatever when wanted.

Not a bad idea.

jwh posted:

The good news is that at least that amp has a power transformer, unlike the 'all american five' circuits.

Yeah, was one of the first things I checked when I saw it. I have another project amp in storage without one, and I've been putting it off for that reason. Teisco Checkmate 10 Solid State, which probably isn't worth much effort. That one also only hums, and has a big can capacitor that looks like it'll be a giant pain in the rear end to replace. Does have plenty of room for an isolation transformer, though.

The caps have been swapped in the Vox, and now it has a different kind of hum/buzz but it still works. Not quite as harsh, either. Odd thing to me is that when the amp volume is all the way up, the hum goes completely away if I roll back the tone controls on the guitar. Drop the amp volume, hum comes back. I know I've heard of that before, but can't for the life of me remember what causes it or the fix.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wouldn't that suggest a problem with the grounding?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Has anyone seen these new Marshall Origin amp line?
https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/origin

I always dug the Vintage Modern line since I saw a Paul Gilbert rig rundown, but they're thin on the ground here and getting rarer.

It looks like these do that and the classic Plexi to 800 thing, which I loving love. Plus add power scaling and an FX loop? gently caress yeah. Not to mention Thomann is telling me just under AU$900 to my door for the 50W head.

I mean, I don't have $900, but if I did! Opinions from folks?

Unrelated segue: What's the deal with Hiwatts? I don't mean the history, I know the company was sold and now you have Reeves and Hitone, etc. I really, really love the sound of a cranked Custom. However for either a vintage one or a newer legit replica (See Reeves) I'm looking at like $3k. I don't really care where it's made (if it's made well) or who owns it or if it's PCB or what the gently caress ever.

The closest I've seen is the Hiwatt (new) Tube Series or Hi Gain series. But finding decent demos is hard and finding a retailer here is loving impossible. Am I really just hosed to find a non multi thousand version of a Custom 50/100?

I blame AmpliTube. My dream combination for guitar tone is a cranked Hiwatt layered for rhythm and a cranked JCM800 for lead. They match each other so drat well.

Last unrelated note, are those retro SS amps of any interest? I see posts like the one above about those small (or large!) old school tube amps and get giddy, cause some of those sound phenomenal. If I ever catch one local for a good price (and is in working condition) I would probably grab one. Are any of the non tube ones worth a poo poo though?

Thanks y'all.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Had my recently purchased 1967 Pro Reverb serviced and blackfaced and holy moly was that a good call.

I turn the volume knob a little down on my guitar and I’m getting the chimiest, warmest clean with some crazy harmonics.

I turn the volume knob all the way up and bam, beefy as hayell.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Got a 1x12 combo that buzzes like crazy when playing certain notes, especially through neck pickup on my baritone. Is this a sign that I should retube this thing?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Professor Science posted:

Got a 1x12 combo that buzzes like crazy when playing certain notes, especially through neck pickup on my baritone. Is this a sign that I should retube this thing?

Tighten all the screws and nuts you can and check for debris inside particularly near or touching the speakers

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Tighten all the screws and nuts you can and check for debris inside particularly near or touching the speakers
Tried that, hasn't seemed to do anything. Guess I'll take it to a tech. Haven't used it much in the past few years, so probably time. Thanks for the suggestion, though--lots of screws were looser than I expected.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Also try playing it in another room it could be something else rattling in the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Also try playing it in another room it could be something else rattling in the room
yeah, going to try that in a bit. found a couple other people complaining about tube rattle on this amp (65amps Ventura) who claimed that putting O-rings on the tubes reduced the rattle a lot, so getting some of those too. but oh well I'll just buy a separate cab at some point if this turns out to be unfixable, what's the worst that could happen