Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm all for a cigarette ban imo. Could probably make bank smuggling 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckbox posted:

The plastic bag ban is mostly different by virtue of being something that actually works. The guy who said filters should be biodegradable was right and you're wrong because the actual equivalent would be banning people from carrying plastic bags in state parks. Lol if you think that would work and plastic bags aren't addictive.

We (used to) ban plastic water bottles in certain National Parks because people couldn’t stop throwing them on the ground.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Shoppin...T0HXMCMP7Z74ZTW

buy these IKEA bags, they last forever and I've never needed more than 3 to hold all my groceries

Holy poo poo, those things are 99 cents at IKEA. I need to get in on the Amazon reseller game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I get my cheap disposable thin plastic bags (for dealing with cat turds, I have cats) from home depot and from pet stores, both of which still give them out for free with purchases.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Going to the store every time your cat needs to poo poo seems like a headache.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

You can get 1000 little poo poo bags for animals delivered to your door for $15

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FCKGW posted:

Holy poo poo, those things are 99 cents at IKEA. I need to get in on the Amazon reseller game.

Eh. You're just looking at the shipping price wrapped into the Prime shipping price. It's only because you're trying to buy one bag at a time instead of multiples. Ordering a single bag from ikea.com is $1 for the bag and $10 shipping.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Leperflesh posted:

I get my cheap disposable thin plastic bags (for dealing with cat turds, I have cats) from home depot and from pet stores, both of which still give them out for free with purchases.

This is the most wasteful notion I've ever heard. You were born with two hands and pockets for a reason, use them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Holy poo poo if u were born with pockets

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just keester those cat turds until you have to go number 2,problem solved.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Holy poo poo if u were born with pockets
Looks like someone needs to remember "nature's pocket"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

FMguru posted:

Looks like someone needs to remember "nature's pocket"

It's the butt, isn't it?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Better than the mouth

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Yo dog I was starting to feel bad that everybody was picking on you but then you had to go and make this argument.

"Hey, man. What's the real COST of anything we actually buy, bro?? It's all energy!!"

I actually was saying that "real cost" stuff was crap because it's not how our economy works, but whatever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Burning_Monk posted:

It's the butt, isn't it?
:goatsecx:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Duckbox posted:

I actually was saying that "real cost" stuff was crap because it's not how our economy works, but whatever.

The examples you used were subsidized necessities for life or prosperity. It doesn't make sense to lump in the unseen health and environmental burdens of ciggies

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm not seeing it and Google is failing me. Can you spell it out for me?

https://gorgeouspersian.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/marlboro-subliminal-kkk-message/

Plenty of other ones. Snopes tries to understand rather than overstand the issue, so while they miss the point they recognize all of the elements. They just think they are a "coincidence" for no real reason.

Why would a company based in the Deep South with a legacy of slavery be racist? That's just crazy man.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

loving lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xi3noz_Ugw

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
666 Man, Monster is satanic.

That's obvious man.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AND THE DEVIL LAUGHS

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm pretty exhausted but wanted to check -- no elections in CA today, right? Life has been crazy but I'd hate to miss a chance to spoil a ballot.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shbobdb posted:

I'm pretty exhausted but wanted to check -- no elections in CA today, right? Life has been crazy but I'd hate to miss a chance to spoil a ballot.

There are, local ones.

ABC Unified School District (General)
Ceres Unified School District (General)
Compton Unified School District (General)
Downey Unified School District (General)
Modesto City Elementary School District (General)
Modesto City High School District (General)
San Bernardino City Unified School District (General)
San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District (General)
Whittier Union High School District (General)
Fontana Unified School District (Special)
El Monte Union High School District (General)

https://ballotpedia.org/California_elections,_2017
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/upcoming-elections/county-administered-elections/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Eh. You're just looking at the shipping price wrapped into the Prime shipping price. It's only because you're trying to buy one bag at a time instead of multiples. Ordering a single bag from ikea.com is $1 for the bag and $10 shipping.

I live 10 minutes from an ikea store, I can just carry them out by the handful.

The ones on Amazon are $4 per bag plus shipping.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
thats only if you buy one, the 4 and 12 packs (no one needs 12 of these things) are like $2 something

also i didnt live near an IKEA when i bought them

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jaxyon posted:

There are, local ones.

ABC Unified School District (General)
Ceres Unified School District (General)
Compton Unified School District (General)
Downey Unified School District (General)
Modesto City Elementary School District (General)
Modesto City High School District (General)
San Bernardino City Unified School District (General)
San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District (General)
Whittier Union High School District (General)
Fontana Unified School District (Special)
El Monte Union High School District (General)

https://ballotpedia.org/California_elections,_2017
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/upcoming-elections/county-administered-elections/

Thanks! The ballotpedia is good. I'm covered. But it's a good resource going forward. I've gotten very alienated from politics lately, need to get back into it. But if I stay busy, it's good to have a resource to check as opposed to just knowing these things.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I went to see if SB 179 had been signed at and has! All you Californians whose birth certificates or ID's have the wrong gender can now fix that, starting January 1, 2019!

Then I went to see what the reporting looked like and lol at the opposition, hand-wringing about "confusing children" and children "being told they are male, female, or nonbinary" when getting a learner's permit. Because being told they were male or female wasn't already bad. Also hand-wringing about parents having to decide a three-year-old's gender. Uh no, they can mark it nonbinary and let the kid figure it out. poo poo, just default everybody to nonbinary until they get old enough to get more specific (or not).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The mayor of Costa Mesa was ousted last night at a 1:30 AM meeting.

Article here.

It got pretty heated.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Zuul the Cat posted:

The mayor of Costa Mesa was ousted last night at a 1:30 AM meeting.

Article here.

It got pretty heated.

My elementary school was in Costa Mesa. Not surprised at all that the place has ridiculously petty rich white folk politics.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

People who hold up local government as a haven for civility and good governance need to go to more city council meetings. I've had first hand experience with the poo poo storms of pettiness, incompetence, backstabbing, and low level corruption that can consume local governments and you can either laugh or cry.

One basic problem is that the councils don't really "run" anything. The real work is done by city managers, school superintendents, clerks, attorneys etc. and the elected officials (who, in smaller cities/districts are often underpaid part-timers) exist largely to rubber stamp budgets, oversee hiring and firing, and maybe push some tiny vanity project that looks good on campaign fliers.

The institution is bigger than any one person --even the mayor -- and the budget lines are too tight (thanks prop 13) to pay for radical changes anyway. People's main priority is almost always just to protect the status quo, make little changes where they can, and keep their district from getting eaten alive during the next budget crisis. Anyone who rocks the boat too much is a liability.

Sounds like this mayor and the previous "run it like a business" regime both made the classic mistake of trying to change too much too fast and now the knives have come out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If you read between the lines It's basically "New Mayor cut back of megadevelopment. Old Guy pushed it way hard" so it seems like a struggle between NIMBYs not wanting LuxoLease apartment developments and the deep-pocket developers who wanted them everywhere.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There’s actually a measure that was passed in CM - Measure Y. Any new development (basically multi-family structures) has to go to a vote and get approved by the city.

I actually interned in the city managers office this past summer. The amount of work they do is crazy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

There’s actually a measure that was passed in CM - Measure Y. Any new development (basically multi-family structures) has to go to a vote and get approved by the city.

Jesus that sounds really bad.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Duckbox posted:

People who hold up local government as a haven for civility and good governance need to go to more city council meetings. I've had first hand experience with the poo poo storms of pettiness, incompetence, backstabbing, and low level corruption that can consume local governments and you can either laugh or cry.

One basic problem is that the councils don't really "run" anything. The real work is done by city managers, school superintendents, clerks, attorneys etc. and the elected officials (who, in smaller cities/districts are often underpaid part-timers) exist largely to rubber stamp budgets, oversee hiring and firing, and maybe push some tiny vanity project that looks good on campaign fliers.

The institution is bigger than any one person --even the mayor -- and the budget lines are too tight (thanks prop 13) to pay for radical changes anyway. People's main priority is almost always just to protect the status quo, make little changes where they can, and keep their district from getting eaten alive during the next budget crisis. Anyone who rocks the boat too much is a liability.

Sounds like this mayor and the previous "run it like a business" regime both made the classic mistake of trying to change too much too fast and now the knives have come out.

Reminds me of this video series
https://youtu.be/RjX1IaU1A0w

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Badger of Basra posted:

Jesus that sounds really bad.
Gotta get your kickbacks somehow dude.

I had the unfortunate privilege of sitting in on some HOA meetings and it sounds like city governance is just a macro version of that, but with actual grifting and moneys. In my case, I had to give props for the guy rallying to get an indoor, UV sensitive paint applied to the exterior of his house because he had a hard-on for Sunflower Glow or whatever the gently caress that hideous yellow color was named.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Zuul the Cat posted:

A local resident has proposed a plan to create a private "facility" in which homeless people would be charged rent to be able to pitch a tent in a gated parking lot.

This person is describing a campground.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pfft campgrounds don't have gates. How else is somebody supposed to drive their diesel truck around all the loops at 2:30 A.M., looking for a spot?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was working on an app with a friend (tentatively named slpr) that would highlight good places for homeless people to sleep and marking dangerous areas. A modern update of the old hobo code, basically. Outreach was through local shelters (we have good connections there) and ad buys in Street Sheet (they are hilariously open to advertising). We'd make money by allowing companies to blacklist their area for a fee.

Everything was set up, we just needed an estimate for how much money it was going to take while we dealt with the legal battle. Extortion is an expensive charge to beat, so we're sitting on it for now until we can find a backer with more capital.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Shbobdb posted:

I was working on an app with a friend (tentatively named slpr) that would highlight good places for homeless people to sleep and marking dangerous areas. A modern update of the old hobo code, basically. Outreach was through local shelters (we have good connections there) and ad buys in Street Sheet (they are hilariously open to advertising). We'd make money by allowing companies to blacklist their area for a fee.

Everything was set up, we just needed an estimate for how much money it was going to take while we dealt with the legal battle. Extortion is an expensive charge to beat, so we're sitting on it for now until we can find a backer with more capital.

Why not partner with some non-profit outreach organizations that might be open to supporting the costs of the backend and stop trying to disrupt homelessness by monetizing it? Holy poo poo.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In a capitalist society, the best way to address an issue is to provide monetary incentive.

I'm all for the revolution but it doesn't seem to be coming. At least not immanently -- and I'd wager I've done more to advance its cause in my life than you have.

However, until the revolution, it would be foolish not to operate within the confines of the system we find ourselves in. Not as Fabians or Social Democrats trying to salvage a broken system. But to recognize its brokenness and use it in service of our aims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tuxedo Gin posted:

stop trying to disrupt X by monetizing it? Holy poo poo.

Where do you think you are?