Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Huh, checking pricing again and I noticed something: I know that when you buy 9 now, you get a free upgrade to 10.

But apparently, judging from the website, that is also the case when you just get an upgrade?

So I currently have 9 Standard, and an upgrade to 10 would be 179€ if I stay on standard and 399€ if I also upgrade to Suite. But when I upgrade to Suite right now, price would be 223€ (20% off from 279€) AND it says I also get a free upgrade to 10.

For 44€ extra that kinda seems like a no-brainer, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://cdn-downloads.ableton.com/channels/10.0b144/ableton_live_beta_100b144_64.zip

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So they still haven't fixed their poo poo MIDI timing for external instruments?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
MIDI timings sucks in every DAW, Expert Sleepers is your only hope, and it’s a crying shame they don’t pack it in a 19” rack unit.

I so hope crash reporting is fully automated now.

Also after watching the Slynk video the whole Packs stuff is rad, I never bothered with downloading all that poo poo because I figured it would not be relevant with enough other third party libraries. i mean, what is the added value with Komplete Ultimate and a dozen libraries, right? Now I can check it out properly and hit ignore if I don’t care, neato.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

I so hope crash reporting is fully automated now.

I don't think it is. Tom Cosm mentioned during his stream, when Live crashed, that he would send the report to Ableton Support later.

The one thing I'm most keen on is whether the file browser sees symbolic links (like file shortcuts on the desktop or wherever that point to the real file somewhere else). Live 8 sees them, and in fact IIRC a bunch of people including the manual recommended using them to organize samples, so I did! In Live 9 they rewrote the browser and the new one didn't see links, which is basically why I'm still on 8—I spent so long organizing all my poo poo with this and it's so loving useful :( Anyway, the color coded collections are a similar feature but converting it all to a new format would suck balls if I had to do it all manually. :sigh:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Laserjet 4P posted:

MIDI timings sucks in every DAW, Expert Sleepers is your only hope, and it’s a crying shame they don’t pack it in a 19” rack unit.

It was much better in Cubase, and I have an ES-1 and a USAMO.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Nested/multi-level groups and integrated max4live is totally worth it. The former will be amazing for people who prefer stem mixing before the mix proper.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

speak of groups:

https://twitter.com/dennisdesantis/status/926072205565362180

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am extremely excited about group nesting. the tag system looks cool too

I hate switching versions though & I'm in the middle of working on an album & then have two tours coming up after that so I'm not changing anything until all thats done. I dont even do the regular updates when Im working on something.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If I purchase the upgrade, what’s the turnaround on getting a beta invite?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Capture is going to make a lot more records come out.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

I am extremely excited about group nesting. the tag system looks cool too

I hate switching versions though & I'm in the middle of working on an album & then have two tours coming up after that so I'm not changing anything until all thats done. I dont even do the regular updates when Im working on something.

I’ve been in this situation a few times, and my nerd obsession never lets me just carry on. I usually make a temporary second user in the OS and use the new version there, keeping my ‘work’ setup untouched.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, I'm in the middle of practicing a 45 min+ live set and upgrading makes me nervous. I don't think it will be as drastic as 9.5 or whatever which brought the new Operator upgrade and auto filter changes (or so I hope)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

magiccarpet posted:

Capture is going to make a lot more records come out.

Is it just for midi or does it include audio as well? Asking because I've been using Ableton to record a radio show lately and it'd be super cool if it just automatically kept the past half hour of me dicking around with records :v:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

pretty sure its just the sequence of midi notes

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Nice, got into the Ableton 10 beta. Looks like I might end up sick from work tomorrow :D

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Got my beta invite too, as soon as the work day started today.

I have a strange compulsion to refer to this version as AbleTEN, on account of the promotional material/marketing emphasizing the 10 so much.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

well why not posted:

I didn't actually realise that Live 10 will output MP3 until I watched Slynk's video. Holy poo poo that'll be awesome for quick demos and stuff. I abhor rendering poo poo out and having to transcode it to a smaller filesize.
I was wondering when that was gonna make it in. When Fraunhofer dropped the MP3 licensing program, inexplicably the headlines all over the world were "MP3 is Dead." But the reality is that the format just got a boost since developers don't have to pay per-seat licensing fees anymore to incorporate MP3 support in their programs. For better or worse, MP3 is at least still on life support.

ALSO...
I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I ordered the Suite 9->Suite 10 upgrade to get the discount pricing and chose Paypal for the funding and they didn't charge me. They said I'd get a payment link when Live 10 comes out. I am a USA resident in case that matters. (Do they charge you now if you choose a credit card instead?)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Radiapathy posted:

ALSO...
I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I ordered the Suite 9->Suite 10 upgrade to get the discount pricing and chose Paypal for the funding and they didn't charge me. They said I'd get a payment link when Live 10 comes out. I am a USA resident in case that matters. (Do they charge you now if you choose a credit card instead?)

No, they don't. I ordered the upgrade on a credit card (in the UK), and they just charged £1 to verify the card. They will take payment when it comes out.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wavetable is really nice. You can make some really wide and beefy sounding 80's synthwave sounds with ease. It's nicely laid out and it's great to see them extending the interface further into the main window and not wedging everything into the bottom panel as usual. You can go really deep with the sound design on this one. It's not as pretty or maybe as deep as Serum, but it's a lot of fun and integrates with Push 2 really well. The lack of solid VST integration with the Push 2 is what always held me back from really getting the most out of Serum. Now with Wavetables, this kind of synthesis just got a whole lot more hands on for me.

Not hugely sold on the font as it's rather pixelated on my 1080p screen. The colours are a big improvement though, and I can already see myself getting lost organising everything into colour co-ordinated collections too - that's really nice with a big sample and plugin library.

Update: mmmmm... Echo is loving lush.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 6, 2017

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
how does it look on retina displays?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Laserjet 4P posted:

At another forum some peopel were quick to point out to me that both Cubase and Logic could do this already, and I think one of the Roland Fantoms also had something like it (Skip Back sampling)

But it's neat to have in Live as well :)

This just shows the extent to which people aren't understanding Capture. The Fantoms just had an audio buffer that was always recording. Logic has secretly buffered the last so many MIDI notes you played since it was literally C-Lab Creator on the Atari. Capture, though, not only grabs what you played but it intelligently figures out the tempo of what you played and sets up a clip so you can actually use it in a musically useful way. This is HUGE. You're not stopping and dicking around with the tempo to get it in the same ballpark, or awkwardly tapping it. You're not trying to re-do to a grid what you intuitively did with feeling. It's adapting to YOU, not the other way around. This is a feature I've wanted for 20 years in sequencers and it's never really been done.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

curried lamb of God posted:

how does it look on retina displays?

i don't have a macbook here, but i might install it on my work one to see. it really looks as if it was made with super high resolution screens in mind however, as even while i'm getting used to it at 1080p on windows, it's still worse than before.

aside from that, I'm enjoying my time with 10. one really handy feature is the ability to download purchased packs directly in the packs section. it also notifies you of updates, something i never once bothered to check on before. you're still stuck being frozen out of everything while it installs the packs though which sucks. thankfully some of the new packs are great with skitter and step being really nice for glitch work. suite has a huge range of material now and have a wide variety of drum sounds covered. i'm looking forward to playing with the 7gb electric keyboards pack too. looks like some crazy high fidelity stuff in there. i just need to set aside the 3 years to install it :/

update: unffff... wavetable is extremely my poo poo. amazing sounds and it's just so filthy. you can do so much good with it! it's one of those synths that has a real personality to it already.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 7, 2017

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
wondering how wavetable is going to affect serum sales/users. not that the two are interchangeable but i could see some beginners forgoing serum because they already have wavetable

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

momerath posted:

wondering how wavetable is going to affect serum sales/users. not that the two are interchangeable but i could see some beginners forgoing serum because they already have wavetable

i can see that. but wavetable is only available in suite, something beginners might forgo anyway. serum does have a payment plan which is way more suitable to hobbiests too. so if anything, i think serum is more geared towards beginners than wavetable, it just also caters to high-end producers with its custom wavetables and mad effects chains.

i've been able to make more sounds that really appeal to me much faster in wavetable than in serum, so i can see myself neglecting my copy of serum for my sound design starting points. but were i just starting out, i wouldn't even really be thinking about suite - indeed i had serum a good while before i upgraded from standard. i'd still go that route again, but it would be much easier for me due to the payment plan steve has in place now, as mentioned.

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Plavski posted:

i can see that. but wavetable is only available in suite, something beginners might forgo anyway. serum does have a payment plan which is way more suitable to hobbiests too. so if anything, i think serum is more geared towards beginners than wavetable, it just also caters to high-end producers with its custom wavetables and mad effects chains.

i've been able to make more sounds that really appeal to me much faster in wavetable than in serum, so i can see myself neglecting my copy of serum for my sound design starting points. but were i just starting out, i wouldn't even really be thinking about suite - indeed i had serum a good while before i upgraded from standard. i'd still go that route again, but it would be much easier for me due to the payment plan steve has in place now, as mentioned.

yeah, i agree with you. i'm doing the payment plan myself but i really need to put more effort into my serum work because it's sounding samey, i think the workflow kind of constricts you to make similar sounds. i don't know how deep wavetable is, most of the reviews i've watched are pretty shallow so i don't know how to feel yet.

also i got suite as a beginner simply because i really didn't want to give it up because i had pirated to begin with.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

If you pre-order 10 how quickly are they throwing out beta keys? Or do you not jump the que at all?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

If you pre-order 10 how quickly are they throwing out beta keys? Or do you not jump the que at all?

i got mine a couple days after i pre-ordered. i have suite and a push 2 tho, so that might have pushed me up the list idk

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Plavski posted:

i got mine a couple days after i pre-ordered. i have suite and a push 2 tho, so that might have pushed me up the list idk

thank you. i have the same setup as you. rats. i was trying to find an excuse to stay inside all day.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I haven't preordered and I got a 10 Beta key within 2 days of registering for it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you pre-order a 10 upgrade, do you get charged right away or when 10 is actually released?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You don’t pay until it’s released- just a $1 verification charge I think. When 10 is released you’ll get an e-mail prompt to finish paying the balance within 2 weeks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Is this sort of echo delay thing possible in Ableton?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IhNutX0raw

I haven't seen much around that can do it elegantly. Any max 4 live or creative built in plugins will let you snapshot the last few seconds of audio and loop them on demand?

Do I have to go the StutterEdit/Turnado route?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Live's got an effect called Beat Repeat that allows you to do stuff like that in various note values. I think a couple of the Delay effects also have a 'Freeze' button which effectively does the same thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there's also Looper

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Press the F to freeze your respects

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I tried loving around with the freeze on ping pong but it's really awkward and forces a filter that's a pain. Beat repeat throws too much crap in the way and isn't just a regular loop and looper requires triggering start and end points, unless i missed something.

There's also a freeze on reverb, but that was no good to me either. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Plavski posted:

I tried loving around with the freeze on ping pong but it's really awkward and forces a filter that's a pain. Beat repeat throws too much crap in the way and isn't just a regular loop and looper requires triggering start and end points, unless i missed something.

Yeah, Beat Repeat has a bunch of parameters that do weird stuff like randomizing, which you don't really need if you're just looking for the Octatrack/DJM-style beat stutter. There might be a simpler way to do this but I just put a bunch of them into an Effect Rack, each instance set to a different note subdivision with all the extra stuff turned off, and mapped each on/off button to a key on my controller.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, Beat Repeat has a bunch of parameters that do weird stuff like randomizing, which you don't really need if you're just looking for the Octatrack/DJM-style beat stutter. There might be a simpler way to do this but I just put a bunch of them into an Effect Rack, each instance set to a different note subdivision with all the extra stuff turned off, and mapped each on/off button to a key on my controller.

That certainly sounds like it'll be worth a try, thanks for the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you get one of the Akai MPD controllers they have a note repeat function built in, I've used that occasionally but the 'different subdivisions' method mentioned above is the one I've used most. I think it may also be possible to map sample loop points to a knob?