Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
barts face in the image tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

true, it's a good thumbnail

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I watched like 5 mins of the latest episode out of curiosity and the whole thing takes place in the middle ages and was basically just a series of jokes whose punchline was "hey remember when this happened on game of thrones?"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lots of incest?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just watched the new Treehouse episode and as someone that’s seen maybe 4-5 episodes past season 11, it wasn’t offensively terrible. Just meh. I hear the Treehouse episodes are better than normal ones these days so maybe that’s not the best gauge of quality. That Homer eating himself segment was pretty drat grotesque.

The voice actors sound okay to me except for Marge’s at parts, which I can understand. Doing that voice plus harsher versions of that voice for 30 years straight would gently caress anyone’s vocal cords.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

One thing I love about classic Simpsons are the sight gags.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_yJ4QhrAaM

Look at the clock.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
one of the better simpsons celebrity cameos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlmfUXQkIgY

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Finally watched the latest Treehouse of Horror (not sure why) and... it's not that it's bad. It's that it's nothing. There's nothing in it. It's 20 minutes of absolutely nothing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i amazingly didnt hate this most recent episode. its still bad but it had at least a couple high points

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

i amazingly didnt hate this most recent episode. its still bad but it had at least a couple high points
i've seen some of people say that this is the case with most recent episodes. as fun as it is to poo poo on latter-day simpsons, this does seem believable. just don't expect the "multiple laughs in a 15 second span" era

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
well no i dont expect that and still think ol yeller should be taken out back but it wasn't appallingly bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There are a lot of latter-day episodes that have some good jokes in them. They're just balanced out by all the cringeworthy stuff.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

There are a lot of latter-day episodes that have some good jokes in them. They're just balanced out by all the cringeworthy stuff.

"Hey, theres a couple good peanuts in there, if you don't mind all the feces around them."

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Scudworth posted:

The mom was often in background crowd scenes after that, no more :(

She was also in the episode where Homer gets stuck in a vending machine and misses the ballet so she and Marge go together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXj37YG2FJw

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Season four has a joke making fun of all the iterations of Krusty through the years as he celebrates his 28th season on the air.

Crazy how Simpsons has become the Krusty the Klown show. Low effort.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The pointless celebrity cameo in this week's episode was basically Ohio State University.

Also, it's got Skinner flashing back to his childhood with Agnes. Eat it, Armin Tamzarian.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Great addition to the opening credits

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't think the fan base crosses over as much as they think.

Despite that intro they did a few years ago

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I don't think the fan base crosses over as much as they think.

Despite that intro they did a few years ago

aside from people in this thread I don't think I know a single person who watches the Simpsons regularly anymore. I honestly can't even imagine what that demographic would consist of. Left on in rooms of coma patients maybe?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Aesop Poprock posted:

aside from people in this thread I don't think I know a single person who watches the Simpsons regularly anymore. I honestly can't even imagine what that demographic would consist of. Left on in rooms of coma patients maybe?

I wonder if there’s younger people that have nostalgia for like season 17 or something.:lol:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
There was an earlier version of this thread a few years ago with someone who said the newer episodes are better than the classic ones. That the style of humor felt dated and old fashioned.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wizard Master posted:

really

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wizard Master posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

haha CARTOONS right guys? we're hip!!

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Apparently Marge became the new mayor of Springfield in tonight’s episode

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wizard Master posted:

I mean, why not

has moe's bar rag had a turn yet

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Wizard Master posted:

Every day we stray farther and farther from the lord's light.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I honestly can't even imagine what that demographic would consist of. Left on in rooms of coma patients maybe?

Can you imagine if one of them woke up today after having been in a coma since 1994?

"Oh boy! I can't wait to catch up on my favorite show, The Simpsons!"

*watches recent episodes*

*lapses back into a coma*

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Wizard Master posted:

i faintly remember that being a family guy plotline lmao

You Are A Elf posted:

Can you imagine if one of them woke up today after having been in a coma since 1994?

good...night!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You Are A Elf posted:

Tonight on The Simpsons, Homer's in a.... coma?!? After an accident at work, Homer finds himself unable to communicate with the outside world. Meanwhile, Bart discovers the joy of deep frying. It's "The Diving Bell and the Butterball" this Sunday on Fox!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

good...night!

In the 90s people thought Sonny Bono being a congressman was as dumb as US politics got.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

You Are A Elf posted:

Nah, they'd pick where they left off and end up with the exact same feelings as the rest of us.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Simpsons seems to really like the running gag in the later seasons of Homer throwing something or shooting something lethal at someone else , usually Bart. In an episode with guest star Ray Romano Homer and Ray have a nail gun fight on the roof.

I feel like whoever wrote that remembered the sea world scene where Homer throws starfish
and they embed themselves into the wall and missed the point. That and that sight gag wasn't even the punchline.

Some jokes definitely are dated, but they hold up better than later episodes where the joke becomes old after a week as they are reacting to the internet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Fancy Hat posted:

Tonight on The Simpsons, Homer's in a.... coma?!? After an accident at work, Homer finds himself unable to communicate with the outside world. Meanwhile, Bart discovers the joy of deep frying. It's "The Diving Bell and the Butterball" this Sunday on Fox!

That was a 2011 Treehouse of Horror segment, except worse.

quote:

The Diving Bell and the Butterball
In a parody of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Homer begins to decorate the house for Halloween and is reaching for a decoration in a box. Unfortunately, there is a real Black Widow spider in the box and when Homer grabs what he thinks is a plastic spider, he is bitten by it. The bite leaves Homer paralyzed and unable to speak. When Lisa reads for him, she discovers that he can communicate through farting. The Simpson family is amazed at the result and Lisa helps Homer tell Marge how he feels about her. When he is again bitten by another spider (a radioactive one this time), he gains the ability to shoot spider webs out of his rear end and have the same abilities as Spider-Man, though he is still unable to move or talk.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That was a 2011 Treehouse of Horror segment, except worse.

And we have Poe's Law in effect again because gently caress knows if this is real or not.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

My wife teaches 7th grade, has for 6 or 7 years. None of her students have ever given a poo poo about the Simpsons, new or old.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Drunken Baker posted:

And we have Poe's Law in effect again because gently caress knows if this is real or not.

i was compelled to look it up and it is real

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

i was compelled to look it up and it is real

The description is really funny but in a "this is funny if someone made up a fake description of a simpsons episode and not if it was real" way

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
On the front of the newspaper today (Star, i think?) it was saying something about there being an outcry over Apu being racist or something? God knows I'm not touching a tabloid, but does anyone know what that's all about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
when the show stopped being quotable. The point at which you are no longer able to quote the show and have it recognized as a Simpsons reference without having to emphasize the fact (by which point you stopped watching anyway)