Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Yeah, well, you're also on fire.

It's still snowing, and the snow is so drat sticky.

It's heavy as hell to move and the bottom inch needs scraping. Hate this kind of snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
STR: Congrats! Which Whole Foods? I work by the one off by north park mall.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

Uh... wasn't that in 2004?

They're putting up WoW vanilla servers again, pre-all the expansions.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder how vanilla it will actually be. I remember pvp being a lot of fun before they ruined everything with battlegrounds. I imagine they would want to use the last version before BC was released though and I have no idea why anyone would want to play that again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Apparently there are a ton (as in, a few million) people who were playing the pirate/offbrand vanilla servers worldwide when Blizzard lawyerd them into nonexistence earlier this year.

From the trailer they posted at Blizzcon, it's pre-BC. It showed all of the expansion's cinematics moving backwards one-by-one, and then re-playing the original WoW's cinematic with the dwarf hunter to completion. They're calling it, "World of Warcraft: Classic."

I remember playing a poo poo-ton of WoW but still somehow never reaching level 60 because I kept rerolling characters. I went to the midnight launch of Burning Crusade, came home and installed it, and literally never opened the game again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Apparently there are a ton (as in, a few million) people who were playing the pirate/offbrand vanilla servers worldwide when Blizzard lawyerd them into nonexistence earlier this year.

From the trailer they posted at Blizzcon, it's pre-BC. It showed all of the expansion's cinematics moving backwards one-by-one, and then re-playing the original WoW's cinematic with the dwarf hunter to completion. They're calling it, "World of Warcraft: Classic."

I remember playing a poo poo-ton of WoW but still somehow never reaching level 60 because I kept rerolling characters. I went to the midnight launch of Burning Crusade, came home and installed it, and literally never opened the game again.

Uh... yea. I was a warrior tank raid leader of a guild when Molten Core was 'the poo poo'. That poo poo managed to burn me out on any sort of serious hard-core gaming for... well, the rest of time. I'm still just a 'casual' gamer now.

I have no idea why people want to go back to the grind that was MC and the original vanilla WoW end game. People are strange.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Biodome posted:

STR: Congrats! Which Whole Foods? I work by the one off by north park mall.

:stare:

I guess we're gonna be coworkers soon.

e: I was originally intending on applying at Lakewood, which is closest to where I live (far SE Garland, off of I-30 and Bobtown), but had to run an errand off of Mockingbird and 75. Plus a couple of people I knew at my original store from way back
in the day are at Lakewood.

Figured I'd hit Park Lane since I was nearby, then Lakewood on the way home, but they offered me a job on the spot at Park Lane. Holy gently caress that's a nice store, first time I've been in there; it makes my first store (Plano) look like a storage shed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 4, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

I have no idea why people want to go back to the grind that was MC and the original vanilla WoW end game. People are strange.
I've done some time with "committed" MMOing in the past, and while it can be enjoyable, really, I far prefer single-player stuff with an interesting story and lots of poo poo to explore and mess about with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I can't do in depth MMOs that require long play periods anymore. World of Tanks and World of Warships is the most I can do.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
zomg it's happening... huge thanks and kudos to Nitrospazzz for picking this sucker up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mekilljoydammit posted:

zomg it's happening... huge thanks and kudos to Nitrospazzz for picking this sucker up.

Nice! Now how do you incorporate or pull the data from it? Is that just the mechanical portion?

In other news, sometimes reddit isn't a complete cesspool. Here's 850hp versys 10,000hp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6n28JJAaAo
and

reddit posted:

Here are some cool facts about top fuel dragsters.

I found this article on the internet a while ago and this seems like a good place to share it.

TOP FUEL DRAGSTER FAST FACTS:

ACCELERATION PUT INTO PERSPECTIVE

• One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

• Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes about the same amount of jet fuel with 25% less energy being produced.

• A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

• With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

• At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane, the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

• Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

• Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

• Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

• If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

• Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

• In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.

• Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

• Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

• The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

• THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 MPH (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03, Doug Kalitta).

Putting this all into perspective:

Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin turbo-powered Corvette Z06.

Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the 'tree' goes green for both of you.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within three seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it---from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH and not only caught you, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320-foot-long race!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Seminal Flu posted:

Nice! Now how do you incorporate or pull the data from it? Is that just the mechanical portion?

Yep, it's just the mechanical portion - the actual brake (actually the world's most inefficient water pump) and a water pump.

On top of that, I need infrastructure to hold and cool a shitload of water (1000ish gallons would be ideal) and valves to control the flow, plus a separate heat exchanger cooling loop for the engine coolant, and the obvious fuel/ecu/etc stuff to make the engine work. None of the rest of that's going to break the bank, it's just fiddly.
Instrumentation I need at least a load cell, but the sky's the limit going up from there - I actually have a data acquisition computer I made out of surplus ebay National Instruments hardware that will do a bunch of analog and digital inputs and outputs at a data rate that's overkill enough so I could easily do things like, for example, intake manifold pressure vs crank angle, or cylinder pressure vs crank angle.

Work to do but exciting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You're doing it wrong. Just set it all up, then print out whatever figures you like, telling people they're from a dyno if questioned.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Good point, I'd love a 350bhp dyno print out for my panda

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I posted questions back in the October thread, but just wanted to update.

I have just installed Netgear Arlo Pro camera at the house (and added a pre-pro refurb camera to the system for the back deck). So far 5 out of 5 stars would highly recommend.

Been running a Spytec GPS tracker for about 10 days and after initial problem setting up tech support was responsive and from valuable info gathered again this is 5 out of 5.

Would recommend either/or to anyone looking for solutions like these. It is crazy how far this tech has come in the past 2-3 years.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

InitialDave posted:

You're doing it wrong. Just set it all up, then print out whatever figures you like, telling people they're from a dyno if questioned.

That doesn't win any races though... drat, I really am doing this all wrong.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Decided to sell our SC 300, posted it in the marketplace thread here, goons get first crack before we offer it up anywhere else.
Even though it has a 5 speed manual there is something about it that just doesn't click with my wife and I, she'd rather drive her 91 Tracker and I'd rather drive my 90 Acty. Not-power-assisted-steering, early 90s Japanese econoboxes :v: We are going to see what it's like using the 1990 Toyota Crown ~Royal Saloon~ Wagon we have on the way though, no pretensions of performance there just big smooth well-built comfort in a fat wagon form.

Sorry Applebees Appetizer, we didn't fall into the Lexus dream :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

Decided to sell our SC 300, posted it in the marketplace thread here, goons get first crack before we offer it up anywhere else.
Even though it has a 5 speed manual there is something about it that just doesn't click with my wife and I, she'd rather drive her 91 Tracker and I'd rather drive my 90 Acty. Not-power-assisted-steering, early 90s Japanese econoboxes :v: We are going to see what it's like using the 1990 Toyota Crown ~Royal Saloon~ Wagon we have on the way though, no pretensions of performance there just big smooth well-built comfort in a fat wagon form.

Man, I went straight to the listing to see, but it's priced top of the market. Excellent platform to work with and I'm sure you'll get the money, good luck with the sale!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Haha it's all good man, I don't think I'd want a Lexus for a daily either, ours is the wife's DD and she loves it so that's all that matters :)

Good luck with the sale.

micro
Nov 9, 2005
Micro

Safety Dance posted:

Go for the jugular bolind.

I installed a server on a cargo ship back on Tuesday, and I've been sitting here in Donghae, Korea waiting for a contractor from the sensor company to come, hook up some sensors, and turn on their PLC. My plan was, he'd show up, turn on his thing, we'd verify that the two devices could talk, and I'd be on my way to Seoul this morning. I think he knew I was waiting, so he chose to tackle the main engine power meter first and let me twist in the wind a few days. Dude got his device powered on at something like 4:45 PM today -- just late enough that I wouldn't be able to make the last train out. I still have enough flex built into my plan that I can make it to the airport in time tomorrow, but for the love of god, dude. I've been grinding my teeth for three days waiting for some sign of life from their device.

Ah Donghae.

Head a bit south if you get the chance. Haesindang. Aka penis park. Never have you seen so many grandparents and grandkids running around giant statues of, well, penii.

Not much else in dong hae. Except a cave.

Oh. If you want another mind bend, Hwaseongul up the road to Taebaek. Religious freaks museum. Love the dinosaurs and humans cooxisting.

Just stay away from the Russian hookers in the dock side bars. Saw a friend get hooked by one. He was, well, odd to start with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mekilljoydammit posted:

That doesn't win any races though... drat, I really am doing this all wrong.

As long as it reads consistently, it's no problem. Disney Dyno time!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just going through all the photos I took on my latest holiday and current cropping/resizing the photos from a car museum that I visited. And here's a taste of it:

The MorrisLeyland Marina! Yes, this is the Aussie version, with MORE POWAR. In the 70s Australian branches of some of the major car companies were going through a phase of sticking straight six engines into European cars that really shouldn't have huge heavy (in most cases) all cast iron straight sixes in. Holden started off with putting their straight six red engine in a Vauxhall Viva (Holden Torana) which was pretty successful. Ford did the same with the Cortina, which was a pig of a car. Chrysler did the same to a Chrysler 180 (Centura) which wasn't too bad, but late to the game. And Leyland Australia slammed a E-Series straight six into a Marina, which was as dreadful as the Cortina Six.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

We bought my wife a 2012 Honda CR-Z to replace her falling apart Scion. It's a stupidly impractical car on paper and slow as hell and doesn't get that great of mileage for a hybrid but it's really really cool in a geeky way and surprisingly fun to drive. 4/5 would recommend if you're ok with two seats and being passed by everything on the road.

Only beef so far is it's a 2012 and has navigation (lol) and bluetooth hands free phone calling but no bluetooth media streaming. The gently caress, Honda.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hello chat thread. I've been absent for a while.

How is it that I just found out about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspwBcuOZFg

I apologize for tanking a few hours of your Sunday, but it had to be done.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Am I going crazy or did the font size change back to being smaller again?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Am I going crazy or did the font size change back to being smaller again?

Looks fine to me

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah it's still humongous. I have to go 90% zoom to make it look not-huge.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nah it's still humongous. I have to go 90% zoom to make it look not-huge.

Maybe its your monitor settings

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dear god everything does look huge

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Seminal Flu posted:

In other news, sometimes reddit isn't a complete cesspool. Here's 850hp versys 10,000hp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6n28JJAaAo
and

It's this bit which you quoted which is loving crazy...

quote:

Putting this all into perspective:

Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin turbo-powered Corvette Z06.

Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the 'tree' goes green for both of you.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within three seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it---from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH and not only caught you, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320-foot-long race!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Apologies in advance

For fucks sake i have to pull the loving battery because i left my loving dashcam running for a drat week because my stupid loving head thought it was wired to a circuit that goes off with the ignition. Now on the first actual loving cold day of the year i have to drag an old battery and tools back out to where im parked streets a loving way so i can try and limp it to do a fraudulent warranty return, or drag it back and see if a wall charger will do. Oh look, its at 2 loving volts. And im due to be working 15 minutes a loving go. And i already knocked a knuckle. gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Apologies in advance

For fucks sake i have to pull the loving battery because i left my loving dashcam running for a drat week because my stupid loving head thought it was wired to a circuit that goes off with the ignition. Now on the first actual loving cold day of the year i have to drag an old battery and tools back out to where im parked streets a loving way so i can try and limp it to do a fraudulent warranty return, or drag it back and see if a wall charger will do. Oh look, its at 2 loving volts. And im due to be working 15 minutes a loving go. And i already knocked a knuckle. gently caress

Our brief low temperatures already claimed one battery for me too. Next Junk Yard run I'm gonna take a couple cores and pick up a few used ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, my weight loss has stagnated and it was kind of bugging me until my friend pointed out that I've probably put on a bunch of muscle from lifting all the heavy things.

Now I feel awesome again.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

CommieGIR posted:

Our brief low temperatures already claimed one battery for me too. Next Junk Yard run I'm gonna take a couple cores and pick up a few used ones.

I need a "new" old battery as it failed to start on it, left it in to stop the alarm going mad and have brought home the one i might have killed for a nice slow wall charge- its about a year and a half old and has been treated well otherwise, but 2V is about the lowest I have seen from a 12V battery and I don't hold much hope.

Luckily when i warranty replaced it the last time the guy at the counter all but said be sure to return it again before the initial 4 year period was up so at least I'm not out anything but my time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Man, my weight loss has stagnated and it was kind of bugging me until my friend pointed out that I've probably put on a bunch of muscle from lifting all the heavy things.

Now I feel awesome again.
Yeah. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't weigh yourself for a couple of weeks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Yeah. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't weigh yourself

Fixed that. The only thing you should be focusing on are the weights of the poo poo you can lift and if you want to be a dweeb, your ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS. Buy a measuring tape, gently caress scales forever, you are not a woman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The lower numbers on the scale are very satisfying!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Losing the weight is the easy part, keeping it off is much harder.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Losing the weight is the easy part, keeping it off is much harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBkVuT5pw1g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The lower numbers on the scale are very satisfying!

There's a point where you can't sustain it though hence it's a lovely way to do things. Diets basically starve you and muscle goes first, women just love to see the numbers fall so don't give a gently caress. If thought turned to body composition rather than actual weight, poo poo would be better for everyone. Rather than just watch numbers fall off a scale, become stronger, learn that body image is far more than something related to a loving scale that you slavishly stand on each day in order to see a number possibly go down a bit. If it doesn't go down, punish yourself by eating less than yesterday or fool yourself by drinking less water because you retain it.

I genuinely hate everything to do with scales, it's a completely moronic way of doing things and leads to the delicious trap that is the never-ending cycle of failed faddy diets and other associated fuckery.

I put on a shirt I bought a year ago and it's now too small for me. That's all I need to know about how my lifting is working out. My thighs rub like gently caress now and I'm destroying jeans because of it. gently caress scales forever. Eat good food, lift a weight, don't be a fanny.

• Locked thread