Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/927407322300846080
Incredible political operation from the very smart party under Tom Perez.

No don't worry, I posted it in the Trump thread and they very assuredly told mean it means that the Dems can just relax and change nothing and called me dumb for implying otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

No don't worry, I posted it in the Trump thread and they very assuredly told mean it means that the Dems can just relax and change nothing and called me dumb for implying otherwise.

No one said the first bit and yes, not understanding the point of a voter turnout model is a factual misunderstanding of what that poll is trying to say and falling for their click-bait headline in the tweet.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://mobile.twitter.com/yashar/status/927575299059003392
Brazile is a cartoon character and it is spectacular.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

That isn't what happened everyone called you an idiot bitch for being an idiot, and then a bitch, in that order

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nah, Campaign Obama made a lot of promises that were starkly left wing and that he failed to deliver.

Examples:

Closing guantanamo

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-broken/

Go down that list and it's a left-wing dream basket. This is partly because "bipartisan consensus solutions" is a process descriptor, not a policy descriptor; he promised a bipartisan process but promised, and then failed to deliver, left-wing policy.

He tried but he had a congress that existed entirely to prevent him from doing anything he wanted, sure he could of tried a harder negotiation but if he gave anything up in exchange for closing gitmo people would just be made at him about that instead.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

socialsecurity posted:

He tried but he had a congress that existed entirely to prevent him from doing anything he wanted, sure he could of tried a harder negotiation but if he gave anything up in exchange for closing gitmo people would just be made at him about that instead.

Sitting from the lofty vantage point of 2017, Obama should've immediately had them kill the filibuster and rammed New Deal 2.0. and a public option through Congress before 2010.

From the perspective of 2008, that would've been incredibly extreme, unfortunately.

I do kind of want to go back in time and hand him a piece of paper that says "do not hire Rahm, DWS, or Comey, thanks in advance Mr. President" though.

Edit: alternatively it could say "don't let Hillary use private email and for gently caress's sake, don't intervene in Libya," but that might be too cryptic.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 6, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

socialsecurity posted:

Sure, but we don't give Presidents an E for Effort. End of the day, long eye of history, etc., whether Obama tried or not, Obama came in on a wave of left-wing populist anger, and eight years later people were still angry and Donald Trump got elected as a result. If Obama had implemented more left wing policy goals, would that have sufficiently ameliorated all that anger so as to prevent Trump's presidency? Arguable.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
EDIT: I misremembered some articles I had read previously about the DNC. Ignore this.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 6, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Brony Car posted:

From what I remember, DWS taking over as DNC char was part of the grand bargain for HRC not to go drag out the primary fight any longer back in 2008.

Is this someone that can get verified, or at least backed with evidence?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Brony Car posted:

From what I remember, DWS taking over as DNC char was part of the grand bargain for HRC not to go drag out the primary fight any longer back in 2008. As horrific as she was, I'm wondering how avoidable that trade-off was.

This is what happens when people ignore the part about time travel.

Office Pig posted:

Is this someone that can get verified, or at least backed with evidence?

I remember reading about this during the 2012 election, there was a big piece about the Obama-Clinton agreements to make peace after 2008 and Obama accepting some Clinton loyalists was definitely part of it. DWS just turned out to be exceptionally terrible at administrative work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brony Car posted:

From what I remember, DWS taking over as DNC char was part of the grand bargain for HRC not to go drag out the primary fight any longer back in 2008. As horrific as she was, I'm wondering how avoidable that trade-off was.

That doesn't make too much sense because DWS became DNC chair after the 2010 midterms. Tim Kaine was the one who replaced Dean in 2009.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Office Pig posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/yashar/status/927575299059003392
Brazile is a cartoon character and it is spectacular.

Sounds like she was channeling the spirit of LBJ.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

That doesn't make too much sense because DWS became DNC chair after the 2010 midterms. Tim Kaine was the one who replaced Dean in 2009.

The deal was that Obama would accept Clinton loyalists into his fold and back Hillary in 2016 in exchange for Bill helping out in 2012, iirc.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Trabisnikof posted:

I've been scrambling a bit to find an article backing it up and it turns out I was very wrong. Sorry.

https://www.snopes.com/tim-kaine-dnc-deal/

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

That isn't what happened everyone called you an idiot bitch for being an idiot, and then a bitch, in that order

Fantastic stuff. Continue to shoot the messenger.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sure, but we don't give Presidents an E for Effort. End of the day, long eye of history, etc., whether Obama tried or not, Obama came in on a wave of left-wing populist anger, and eight years later people were still angry and Donald Trump got elected as a result. If Obama had implemented more left wing policy goals, would that have sufficiently ameliorated all that anger so as to prevent Trump's presidency? Arguable.

Also, I don't see any benefit to assuming good will from politicians like that. It's basically a recipe for being taken advantage of. If you assume that politicians always have a good excuse for not accomplishing good/important things, the downside is pretty tremendous, but there isn't much of a downside to continuing to apply pressure and criticism to politicians that fail to deliver (or to at least make a strong, visible effort at delivering*), regardless of the reason. This isn't to say you shouldn't still vote for Democrats in the general election (you should), but criticism is a different issue entirely, and there's no downside to politicians thinking "oh poo poo, people are going to be really upset if I don't at least make a strong attempt at accomplishing this stuff."

*I feel like people would have interpreted Obama's actions different if he still continuing to fight for and be a visible proponent for certain ideas. The problem is that stuff like appointing Geithner Secretary of Treasury made people (correctly) lose their trust that he actually genuinely intended to do that sort of stuff in the first place.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

This isn't to say you shouldn't still vote for Democrats in the general election (you should)

How many times do the Democrats need to lie to your face during a campaign then proceed to sell out American citizens to the highest bidder before you stop voting for them? Instead of screeching about how Republicans are going to open muslim internment camps if we don't pull the lever for our oligarch puppet?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

Fantastic stuff. Continue to shoot the messenger.

You took a single, non national poll with a cherry picked statistic and extrapolated it to say "the sky is falling the sky is falling!". I'm not shooting a messenger I'm putting down a sickly arzy

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It didn't get a lot of coverage because, well, Democratic legislative proposals are worth less than the paper they're printed on at the current moment, but last week Schumer and Pelosi rolled out a package of legislative proposals to bolster the power of organized labor in America, including increasing the NLRB's enforcement authority, banning right to work laws, and penalizing companies for union busting or anti-union coercive activity, like threatening to close factories if they unionize. Obviously completely pie in the sky at the moment, but it's all good stuff from a cursory read through.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

NewForumSoftware posted:

How many times do the Democrats need to lie to your face during a campaign then proceed to sell out American citizens to the highest bidder before you stop voting for them?

When Republicans stop denying global warming, stop trying to cut taxes for billionaires and secularize their politics maybe I'll think about abstaining. In the meantime I will always vote in the general for the least evil candidate that can win, even if they suck

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

You took a single, non national poll with a cherry picked statistic and extrapolated it to say "the sky is falling the sky is falling!". I'm not shooting a messenger I'm putting down a sickly arzy

I didn't claim the sky was falling, that's your own made-up interpretation of what you think I said. All I did was post the poll and I got attacked for it.

I'm not going to lie that I think the poll means that the Democrats need to shape up, but literally I got called an idiot because I should have guessed that this poll that was conducted by professional pollsters was an outlier and had bad methodology.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 6, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I didn't claim the sky was falling, that's your own made-up interpretation of what you think I said. All I did was post the poll and I got attacked for it.

I'm not going to lie that I think the poll means that the Democrats need to shape up, but literally I got called an idiot because I should have guessed that this poll that was conducted by professional pollsters was an outlier and had bad methodology.

You got called an idiot because you doubled and tripled down and still can't let it go. At that point you aren't just "the messenger".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

You got called an idiot because you doubled and tripled down and still can't let it go. At that point you aren't just "the messenger".

That's because no one's actually proving me wrong yet they just decide to attack my behavior

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
That poll is not good but the fact that it's only Virginia makes it less impactful than I thought after reading through it imo.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Neurolimal posted:

Keep in mind that this is "Generic D", which rarely matches up to the real deal. Especially depending on what they consider to be "Generic D".

Which is to say, a real Generic Democrat likely will not enjoy the same advantage as a blue cardboard cutout you can project onto.

I recall that during the run-up to the 2004 elections, Generic Democrat was projected to absolutely crush George Bush in the presidential. Then Generic Democrat became John Kerry, and welp...

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Flavahbeast posted:

When Republicans stop denying global warming, stop trying to cut taxes for billionaires and secularize their politics maybe I'll think about abstaining. In the meantime I will always vote in the general for the least evil candidate that can win, even if they suck

It's interesting that people choose the word "least evil" because at least in my eyes, I don't really see how the GOP is any more evil than the Democrats. If anything, the GOP is much more up front about it's donors agenda and in general the desires of the base and the leadership align way more than that of Democrats.

Whereas the Democrats pander to social/economic/environmental issues just to get your vote then immediately abandon those same "views" them upon winning. Democrats are actively using those issues people care about to bring them out to have them vote for a politician planning to enact an agenda that is absolutely at odds with the election rhetoric.

It really can't be understated that the GOP/Republicans are not the group responsible for preventing any leftward movement in this country. It's the Democrats. The Democrats undermine labor movements, co-opt progressive causes, and sell out their constituents to the highest bidder. Look at the federal government 2008-2010. Look at California now.

The idea that the GOP is preventing leftward progress in this country is laughable and yet it seems to be the conclusion most American voters come to.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Wampa, I think your right. The dems are screwed because they cannot offer a compelling reason to vote for them. The only way to wake them up from their Sorkin fantasy is to not donate any money to the party, that means they cannot pay the consultants who feed them the fantasy.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

That's because no one's actually proving me wrong yet they just decide to attack my behavior

Multiple people told you how you were wrong. Just because you don't understand basic statistics doesn't mean they don't.

And yes, you did come in spouting the sky is falling rhetoric or did you not post this

WampaLord posted:

Ah, the ignoring your problems strategy, how's that been working out so far?

Among the other poo poo you spouted before you came running back here

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's interesting that people choose the word "least evil" because at least in my eyes, I don't really see how the GOP is any more evil than the Democrats.

Then you're really, really not paying attention. Like, I know that's an easy, glib answer, but holy poo poo, dude.

quote:

Look at California now.

California's labor movement and environmental regulations aren't doing amazingly under Brown, but as someone who lives there, I can guarantee you that they're healthier than they were under Schwarzenegger.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Majorian posted:

Then you're really, really not paying attention. Like, I know that's an easy, glib answer, but holy poo poo, dude.

If you take a very ideological Marxist kind of view, he's not wrong. That's just also not useful in 2017 America so.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

I understand that the policies/agencies we will get at the end of the day will be objectively worse than those of the Democrats. That's not what I mean by more evil and I said as much in the rest of my post, but it does make for quite a zinger to just snip out the part you don't like.

Again, I say the Democrats are more evil because again, they are the ones co-opting progressive labor movements, not the GOP. They are the ones running on social justice and then doing nothing. They are the ones running on ending unjust wars/imprisonment and then not doing it. They are the ones that said they would march with unions to protect their right to organize and then sat and did nothing as states decimated unions.

It's a massive blind spot for any lesser of two evils voter.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

I understand that the policies/agencies we will get at the end of the day will be objectively worse than those of the Democrats. That's not what I mean by more evil and I said as much in the rest of my post, but it does make for quite a zinger to just snip out the part you don't like.

The reason why I snipped the rest out is because your definition of "more evil" is just :psypop:

Acquiescing to bad policies is evil, but it is not the same degree of evil as thinking up/pushing those same policies.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Acquiescing to bad policies is evil, but it is not the same degree of evil as thinking up/pushing those same policies.

Why not? At least the GOP is being (more) honest about what their agenda is. The Democrats are openly lying about their agenda (to make things worse, co-opting the left do so) and then pursuing the same billionaire donor-centric policy.

Majorian posted:

California's labor movement and environmental regulations aren't doing amazingly under Brown, but as someone who lives there, I can guarantee you that they're healthier than they were under Schwarzenegger.

Why doesn't California have single payer healthcare?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The greatest evil is that I, NewForumSoftware, go unrecognized by my contemporaries as the greatest moral giant of this or any age!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
It's interesting to watch somebody talk themselves from leftism into de facto support for fascism via accelerationism in real time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Multiple people told you how you were wrong. Just because you don't understand basic statistics doesn't mean they don't.

Sorry, I'm not going to trust goon consensus over a professional polling firm.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/927596682178715653
No real commentary here, just wanted y'all to have fun with the amalgamation of all evil ever.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

It's interesting to watch somebody talk themselves from leftism into de facto support for fascism via accelerationism in real time.

Honestly this is how I feel when people start talking about how I should vote Democrat if I don't want muslim internment camps and Donald Trump invading Iran.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

NewForumSoftware posted:

Honestly this is how I feel when people start talking about how I should vote Democrat if I don't want muslim internment camps and Donald Trump invading Iran.

Now you see, I understand the argument you're making, and when I became really disenchanted with politics a few years ago I subscribed to a softer version of it. I legitimately, no joke, sympathize with your frustration.

I just think the counter argument is that you now have to go tell the people who are going to bear the worst of it first, the minorities, the poor, the people we claim to protect, and tell them "well you know I just thought it needs to get worse before it gets better, I promise later we'll make it better" and then ask yourself if you're ok with that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Did you guys know that chemotherapy kills many of your own body's healthy cells? It makes you sick and makes your hair fall out. Don't settle for a lesser evil, reject the false choice between cancer and chemotherapy and support real, true health.

• Locked thread