Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork

the_chavi posted:

Wait, are you here now? I got here six weeks ago. And yes, I completely support what has been said here, even with the visa news from overnight.

Yeah am here now. I haven't posted on these forums in a long time and (I hope it's still okay) I was told earlier in this thread it'd be alright to share my experience here even though I represent another country.

The visa news hit the city like a storm. Guess the consular folks have a lot of time on their hands now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ordeith posted:

Yeah am here now. I haven't posted on these forums in a long time and (I hope it's still okay) I was told earlier in this thread it'd be alright to share my experience here even though I represent another country.

The visa news hit the city like a storm. Guess the consular folks have a lot of time on their hands now?

Oh man, I'll send you contact info via PM. Would love to meet up if you've got the chance.

Yeah the visa news is... challenging. We're still doing immigration visas and American citizen services, of course, which is a big chunk of our workload in Ankara. I imagine that there is plenty of work to catch up on for the NIV staff, though. Istanbul is all ACS/NIV, so that will be a bit more of a workload shift to address. Hopefully this will be over soon!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
drat, this job is incredible.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Transferring into a domestic position is a Kafkaesque nightmare and I've never been more appreciative of the LES who do this stuff for us overseas.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Would any current or former FSO’s stationed in DC be interested in meeting and greeting with a small group of interested undergrads on November 3rd?

I have arranged a tour of the diplomatic reception rooms at foggy bottom for a larger group,, but I think we have a core group within that (myself incl) who would love to pick your brains.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

I am loving my time in AF so far. I think I'll come back for another tour. Anybody here been posted to Zimbabwe or Tanzania?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I have a good friend in Zim right now. Really likes it. I was gonna bid on it this time around but the spot went to an AIP bidder.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

zzonkmiles posted:

I am loving my time in AF so far. I think I'll come back for another tour. Anybody here been posted to Zimbabwe or Tanzania?

Both are, from what I understand, great posts. I can't speak to Zim but Dar is actually really nice (traffic notwithstanding).

The current Ambo in Zim (Harry Thomas) was in Manila 2010-2013, I think when a couple of goons were there (Skandiaavity maybe?), they could tell you more.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Spent quite a bit of time in AF and seen many posts. Drop me a pm for comments on specific posts. I'm a big advocate for AF assignments for the career and family enhancing opportunities. Also something weird happens every day.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
I had a great time in AF and know plenty of people who spend nearly their whole careers in the region.

Maybe that's because they want to avoid having to learn Mandarin or some other super-hard language, as I'm doing now...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bruxism posted:

Spent quite a bit of time in AF and seen many posts. Drop me a pm for comments on specific posts. I'm a big advocate for AF assignments for the career and family enhancing opportunities. Also something weird happens every day.

A friend of mine is CDA at a small AF post and got woken up last week by the duty RSO calling to warn him about someone putting witchcraft on the chancery.

Edit: And a DOD friend of mine once "adopted" a zombie in Haiti. He'd been cursed by his family and tossed on the side of the road, bound hand and foot, for being a zombie, so my friend and his squad brought him back to their quarters and hired him as an all-purpose handyman. Surprisingly, he did not turn any of the soldiers into zombies.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Lamest zombie apocalypse ever.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Zimbabwe was my first tour. Can’t recommend the place enough, especially with the NEC next year. If you have any questions let me know.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Everyone I’ve talked to who has done a tour in southern AF has had a great time!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I've done some overseas work in West Africa, I can definitely see people loving the work environment there. Multiple people have told me "you have less but you smile more."

Anyways, hello hello. I recently took the written portion of the FSOT! I got about 170 and an 8 on the essay. Although unfortunately, personal life came up and I can't continue, I may just try again in October 2018. Really, me and a bunch of my friends have fallen in love with the overseas work and we're all applying next year.

The one question that keeps running through our heads, though, is what state the ... uh, State department is in. Tillerson seems controversial, and the White House is openly trying to downsize everything. At the same time, I've seen news articles saying that about 25% fewer people have even applied this year. So I figure that means there are much fewer applicants and much fewer jobs. Does...does that make it harder or easier to start a career as an ELO right now?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Billzasilver posted:

I've done some overseas work in West Africa, I can definitely see people loving the work environment there. Multiple people have told me "you have less but you smile more."

Anyways, hello hello. I recently took the written portion of the FSOT! I got about 170 and an 8 on the essay. Although unfortunately, personal life came up and I can't continue, I may just try again in October 2018. Really, me and a bunch of my friends have fallen in love with the overseas work and we're all applying next year.

congrats. nice to have in the back pocket. no real reason to write yourself out yet, right?

Billzasilver posted:

The one question that keeps running through our heads, though, is what state the ... uh, State department is in. Tillerson seems controversial, and the White House is openly trying to downsize everything. At the same time, I've seen news articles saying that about 25% fewer people have even applied this year. So I figure that means there are much fewer applicants and much fewer jobs. Does...does that make it harder or easier to start a career as an ELO right now?

we could probably spend all day projecting what it all might mean in 5 or 10 or 20 years (and most of us probably have), but I think a couple things are clear:

1) obviously, without a churn of A-100s, the roster is going to be rather stacked once they actually start onboarding people. 5.7+ is no longer an automatic shoe-in

2) consular (read: NIV) work must go on. sure demand has dipped, but it's already up in parts of the world and not going anywhere. CA is staying with State, and CA is the money maker. State needs bodies on the line, so A-100s will undoubtedly be CONS-heavy. and for those at the early parts of their career, be ready to do A LOT of consular work. promotions may be down, but they're not off, and every new mid-career officer is one less officer that might otherwise be on the line somewhere. I knew lots and lots of second tour non-CONS officers who were doing four full years of consular work well before the new administration. unless we see a hiring surge (or significant reform), I imagine that will become the norm. I'm amazed to see some of the non-CONS LNA folks who are gearing up for potentially 9 years of consular work before they touch their cone.

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2017

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
also double posting to confirm that AF is the ~~real deal~~

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2017

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

The Mantis posted:

I'm amazed to see some of the non-CONS LNA folks who are gearing up for potentially 9 years of consular work before they touch their cone.

This has to be part of the reforms. That’s a completely counterintuitive move towards keeping the best people.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

The Mantis posted:

CA is staying with State, and CA is the money maker.

Is that actually settled? Because last I heard, moving it to DHS was still a priority for both Kelly and Risch.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Good luck on handshakes everyone!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So I'm on a TDF in a host government MFA right now, and they had handshake day last week. Some woman has been coming into the office I share with two other people every day this week to bitch/moan/complain for an hour (minimum) about how she was assigned to Germany and not Switzerland.

There are crazy fucks in every system it would seem.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The Mantis posted:

congrats. nice to have in the back pocket. no real reason to write yourself out yet, right?

we could probably spend all day projecting what it all might mean in 5 or 10 or 20 years (and most of us probably have), but I think a couple things are clear:

1) obviously, without a churn of A-100s, the roster is going to be rather stacked once they actually start onboarding people. 5.7+ is no longer an automatic shoe-in

Yeah next year will be very interesting. This is great advice, thank you, I hadn't considered all the applicants from last year still waiting on an assignment. I might need to try my limited French after all.

quote:

2) consular (read: NIV) work must go on. sure demand has dipped, but it's already up in parts of the world and not going anywhere. CA is staying with State, and CA is the money maker. State needs bodies on the line, so A-100s will undoubtedly be CONS-heavy. and for those at the early parts of their career, be ready to do A LOT of consular work. promotions may be down, but they're not off, and every new mid-career officer is one less officer that might otherwise be on the line somewhere. I knew lots and lots of second tour non-CONS officers who were doing four full years of consular work well before the new administration. unless we see a hiring surge (or significant reform), I imagine that will become the norm. I'm amazed to see some of the non-CONS LNA folks who are gearing up for potentially 9 years of consular work before they touch their cone.

This sounds plain dreadful. I've shoveled dirt and garbage and filled boring paperwork before, so I'm no stranger to tough jobs, but it's hard to imagine more than four years of consular work.

I'm in the econ track, by the way, with an engineering and cost-analysis background. Thanks again, and I suppose I'll keep my fingers crossed for some juicy trade deals or usaid projects to come up next year.

Ice
May 29, 2014
I've always thought that this would be a cool job. I'm thinking of getting a dog though. Any of you fsos have dogs or other pets? Do you know anyone that does? How much does/would this complicate things? Any chance you'd be able to bring your dog to work? Is it something they would take into account before even making an offer? Also my current job is pretty great in that they let me work remotely now and then, like one or two days every other week or so. I imagine a lot of the job is paperwork that could conceivably be done offsite so I was wondering if this is a possibility at any of the posts. Thanks!

Ice fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 1, 2017

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

Ice posted:

I've always thought that this would be a cool job. I'm thinking of getting a dog though. Any of you fsos have dogs or other pets? Do you know anyone that does? How much does/would this complicate things? Any chance you'd be able to bring your dog to work? Is it something they would take into account before even making an offer? Also my current job is pretty great in that they let me work remotely now and then, like one or two days every other week or so. I imagine a lot of the job is paperwork that could conceivably be done offsite so I was wondering if this is a possibility at any of the posts. Thanks!

I feel like half the people in the foreign service have dogs. You can definitely make it work but it complicates things a bit. A lot of countries have various restrictions. At the embassy I’m at people bring their dogs in on the weekends and holidays to run around free in the grounds, but you wouldn’t do that during business hours. And each facility is different so that may be totally infeasible at some places.

As far as remote work, zero. Obviously many people spend a lot of time away from the embassy meeting with contacts, attending events, maybe even 50%, but you probably won’t be working remotely in the sense you’re thinking of. We cost a lot to be out here overseas, and so much of the job is physical interaction with others or work that can’t be done remote.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Ice posted:

Some countries have size or breed restrictions that could impact you and your pet. You have to deal with the airlines' pet shipping policies, the host country's pet regulations (e.g., meds, vaccinations, quarantine, etc.), and the post's housing guidelines regarding pets. The FS is a lot more expensive when you have a pet, but lots of us have our dogs or cats at post with us. Others leave their pets with a relative back home. But be advised that as a first-tour officer, you could be assigned somewhere where you can't take your pet at all.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/358573-trump-on-lack-of-nominees-i-am-the-only-one-that-matters

"Let me tell you, the one that matters is me, I'm the only one that matters because when it comes to it that's what the policy is going to be," Trump said on Fox News when pressed about [State Department] vacancies by Laura Ingraham.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 3, 2017

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

:chloe: yeah that sounds like what we all expected but we're too afraid to say out loud.

So I have one more question. I have strong interest in getting military experience along with Pol and econ work. I very nearly signed up to be a Navy civil engineering officer in the past. I know lots of foreign service people are former military, is that a one way street? Does it make any sense at all to become an fso for 4 years and then join the Navy after?

For that matter, can you join and leave the Foreign Service between tours? Like if I want to do state department work for 6 years, do civilian contractor work, and then rejoin the Foreign Service, would I just take the FSOT again?

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Billzasilver posted:

:chloe: yeah that sounds like what we all expected but we're too afraid to say out loud.

So I have one more question. I have strong interest in getting military experience along with Pol and econ work. I very nearly signed up to be a Navy civil engineering officer in the past. I know lots of foreign service people are former military, is that a one way street? Does it make any sense at all to become an fso for 4 years and then join the Navy after?

For that matter, can you join and leave the Foreign Service between tours? Like if I want to do state department work for 6 years, do civilian contractor work, and then rejoin the Foreign Service, would I just take the FSOT again?

If you join the FS and then wish to resign, do so after you get tenure (about 4-5 years after joining). If you resign before then, you will have to start with the FSOT all over again if you want to re-enter the FS. It's easier to rejoin if you had tenure when you quit.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Billzasilver posted:

I know two people who went FS->mil and many, many more who went the other direction. But this is just a job.

If you leave after tenure you have five years to reapply before you have to start again with the fsot. And there’s no guarantee you can get back in during those five years; there has to be a deficit of officers at your last grade and cone, and a panel reviews your application to see if they want you back.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Hmmm that's unfortunate, I think most military officer commitments last four years already.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Billzasilver posted:

Hmmm that's unfortunate, I think most military officer commitments last four years already.

In the army it is (or was) five for West Point, four for ROTC, three for OCS (measured from commissioning after basic and OCS).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Billzasilver posted:

I know several reserve officers who are full time FSOs.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

TCD posted:

I know several reserve officers who are full time FSOs.

How do they do their monthly reserve duties? Do they get admin leave for their annual two week training?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Billzasilver posted:

This sounds plain dreadful. I've shoveled dirt and garbage and filled boring paperwork before, so I'm no stranger to tough jobs, but it's hard to imagine more than four years of consular work.

I'm in the econ track, by the way, with an engineering and cost-analysis background. Thanks again, and I suppose I'll keep my fingers crossed for some juicy trade deals or usaid projects to come up next year.

Believe it or not, there are people who actually *choose* to do consular work their entire career!! THE HORROR!

I'm not defending a system that assigns people to 4 years of CONS work before they get MGMT/PD/ECON/POL jobs but 1) Consular work isn't "dreadful", on par with shoveling dirt, or a form of hazing. I've done two consular assignments, a year each on each of my first two assignments. It's interesting work (some of that is what you make of it) and has great work-life balance. I hope State gets to the point where people don't HAVE to do consular work for multiple entry-level tours, but I 100% defend the "everyone does consular" policy. Consular work is part of the job, both in terms of expectations and the impact on the mission. Experience and understanding of how it works makes you a better officer in the other cones.

Didn't mean to jump all over you, but I gotta defend consular work. I enjoyed both assignments, even though I love my POL work more.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'm finishing up a training at FSI right now and a bunch of DS special agents are in it with me. We've been chatting and they make their jobs sound extremely fun and rewarding. So I'm thinking about applying for DS as well as FSO now. They've told me the application process is fairly similar to the Generalist process, but that hiring doesn't happen as often. Anything interesting about it someone wanting to apply to DS should know?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Sorry to put that on you, Nutrimentia, you're right. But let's just say I wouldn't sign up to be a lion tamer for four years either.

https://twitter.com/felschwartz/status/928023552552591361

Anyways.... this is bad, right?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And I read somewhere else that FS officers admitted by testing number is still fixed at a pretty low number? I got this from twitter so buyer beware or whatever.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Slaan posted:

I'm finishing up a training at FSI right now and a bunch of DS special agents are in it with me. We've been chatting and they make their jobs sound extremely fun and rewarding. So I'm thinking about applying for DS as well as FSO now. They've told me the application process is fairly similar to the Generalist process, but that hiring doesn't happen as often. Anything interesting about it someone wanting to apply to DS should know?

There's a few folks who might chime in with first hand knowledge.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Billzasilver posted:

Sorry to put that on you, Nutrimentia, you're right. But let's just say I wouldn't sign up to be a lion tamer for four years either.

https://twitter.com/felschwartz/status/928023552552591361

Anyways.... this is bad, right?

i just see more headroom :cheers:

its real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Slaan posted:

About the testing/application process? Plenty to say about it. If you PM me I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you have in detail.