Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

i was just messin around doing hat-dives and long jumps and big stupid fun jump combos searching for piles of coins, when cappy chimed in and said "great jump!". it made me realise i had been twiddling around for about an hour with no goal other than "can i jump up there? i bet i can".

going back to any other 3D mario is going to feel painfully limited after this. his moveset is just terrific

I wish mario's 'spin' came out a bit faster for the spin jump and spin attack so it was more like Mario sunshine. Other than that, agreed; mario's moveset in this game is spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BonzoESC/status/927394636271964161

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mario's dive even without a cap jump afterwards is basically the greatest addition to his moveset. And then once you do add in the cap jump afterwards it becomes the best feeling movement in 3d platforming.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I took a break from Odyssey after clearing the obvious moons and purples in Mushroom, Cap and Cascade Kingdoms, picked up BotW and started a new file like I meant to all day

I instinctively hit ZL+B to long jump off the cliff and got ready to do the hat dive before i consciously realized it

That's my story thanks for reading

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there some sort of guide for the bounding races? There's no consistency to the movement (sometimes a bound off a bank will land me clearly in the lane, sometimes the same angle will cause me to veer off track), and my hands are cramping up trying to figure it out.

I'm so glad this game lets you buy stars.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 6, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Took me quite a few tries to get the S-rank secret race but it was still nowhere near as bad as jumprope. Try to hit the ramps as low as possible, and don't bounce at all if the ramp is inclined backwards. Going downhill seems to be faster than bouncing but you have to start bouncing again a bit before reaching the end of the slope so you have some momentum going uphill.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Old Bowser amiibo also work if you have those lying around.

And yeah, that's a lovely solution, but wedding bowser amiibo rules so I have no complaints :kimchi:

Watched an any% run of this, 1:24 with room for improvement, game is great, movement is great, and I do hope "world peace%" takes off (aka "all main quests", really, rather than just leaving when you have enough moons) to see more even if the boss fights aren't great

The record is 1:13 right now, lol. I just got a 1:37 and I'm not even in the top 100 with that, this is a really popular game. Though no one has done "All Missions" yet which I assume is the world peace% you're hoping for

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Argue posted:

Took me quite a few tries to get the S-rank secret race but it was still nowhere near as bad as jumprope.

This is insane to me. INSANE. Jump rope you just hit the jump button!!! The race the movement is so erratic and the one NPC has perfect boundin countrol!! How is jump rope harder for you guys!! Aaarrghhh!!!!!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Man, gently caress this bull poo poo 8 bit level with the rotating background and fuzzies in the postgame. The controls go all stupid and suddenly left is up but then you jump and left is left again!

I’ve gotten so close to that loving pipe so many god damned times and then the controls wonk out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
bounding race was the most difficult minigame for me too

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Hot take: all the minigames except for koopa free running are bad because you end up not playing mario

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
This game hosed me up as i was searching for NSFW fanart of Pauline last night

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 6, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
People complain about the jump rope but I find volleyball way harder

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Adaptabullshit posted:

This game hosed me up as i was searching for NSFW fanart of Pauline last night

Please do not disrespect the mayor.

Nina posted:

People complain about the jump rope but I find volleyball way harder

Volleyball sucked but its better than jumprope, solely because I could actually clear volleyball :negative:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I just can’t figure out what to do when the ball is flung way across the field when it gets super fast. The hat flies too slow.

I like bounding race because it sorta reminds me of Goron racing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nina posted:

I just can’t figure out what to do when the ball is flung way across the field when it gets super fast. The hat flies too slow.

I stood in the middle and treated it as a "point the stick in the right direction" minigame and it worked fine. I never missed because I was too slow, only because I pointed in the wrong direction

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah standing in the middle lets you cover the whole field with your hat. Its only a problem if you miss a throw with your hat since you don't have any time to recover. Even if you hit the ball with Mario's body, another ball might land before your hat retracts.

Alternatively you can just use the second player to trivialize it. Wish there was a cheat for jumprope cause gently caress it.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Nina posted:

are there more bounding race stages? i only did it once (and beat it the first try, so doubt that's all there is to it?)

jump ropes was OK to get the first moon, didn't attempt to get to 100 or higher.

Volley sucked rear end. I stopped at some point and came back later to beat it.
I tried getting back to the middle of the field after hitting a ball each time so theoretically you should always be in range of where it comes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dictator. posted:

are there more bounding race stages? i only did it once (and beat it the first try, so doubt that's all there is to it?)

jump ropes was OK to get the first moon, didn't attempt to get to 100 or higher.

Volley sucked rear end. I stopped at some point and came back later to beat it.
I tried getting back to the middle of the field after hitting a ball each time so theoretically you should always be in range of where it comes.

postgame opens up a harder version of that race plus a second track with two difficulties

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sockser posted:

Man, gently caress this bull poo poo 8 bit level with the rotating background and fuzzies in the postgame. The controls go all stupid and suddenly left is up but then you jump and left is left again!

I’ve gotten so close to that loving pipe so many god damned times and then the controls wonk out
This is the same problem people were having with the bullet bill controls.

Basically mario moves relative to the camera when you start moving and those relative directions remain the same until you release the stick, regardless of where the camera ends up. So when you get half way around the circle and let the stick return to neutral the controls seemingly flip eithout warning. Made that particular moon very frustrating to do!

Usually its something you don't even notice and honestly its what stops you from flying of the edge of platforms when the camera turns. I think it first showed up in galaxy, in sunshine you could just hold up and steer mario around with thr c-stick.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

the invisible road challenge room on the dark side can one hundred percent go to hell

I brute-force cheesed that with a Peach Amiibo after a while because it was just miserable.

I'm hung up on two things: the scooterless level (I know I'll get it eventually) and the drat volleyball.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mario's dive even without a cap jump afterwards is basically the greatest addition to his moveset. And then once you do add in the cap jump afterwards it becomes the best feeling movement in 3d platforming.

Addition? I thought he had the dive since 64.

Also I came to find out that the paintings are randomized for each game so I wonder how that'll factor into speed runs if they do end up using the paintings to route things.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Addition? I thought he had the dive since 64.

Also I came to find out that the paintings are randomized for each game so I wonder how that'll factor into speed runs if they do end up using the paintings to route things.

I thought paintings were based on which choices you make on split levels.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
mario odyssey is the best adaptation of where's waldo in video game format

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm at about 560 moons now and am still grinding through them. I was cleaning up moons on Wooded Kingdom last night and managed to find 20 or so in about an hour, the number of objectives in this game is just insane. Even if a lot of them are just finding the nuts I missed...

I don't really have any intention of hitting 100% since I have certain moons that I have no interest in doing (hint art), but it's so nice being able to come back to this game over and over again and still have new things to do.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So how exactly does buying moons past the first one work? Do the shops ever run out? Are they even counted in terms of the game's 'real' moons or are they just there to cheat to the last secret area?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

So how exactly does buying moons past the first one work? Do the shops ever run out? Are they even counted in terms of the game's 'real' moons or are they just there to cheat to the last secret area?

IIRC you can buy as many as you want, they all count towards costume and world unlocks. Only the first one in a kingdom counts towards game completion.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What is this moon in Deep Forest or whatever that everyone's complaining about? The one that involves lots of coins. I must just be totally missing something because it's dark down there :shobon:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What is this moon in Deep Forest or whatever that everyone's complaining about? The one that involves lots of coins. I must just be totally missing something because it's dark down there :shobon:

Pretty sure it's that. It's so expensive and isn't exactly fast.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In the river there's a spot that has some coins around it on the ground, with a plant growing in the middle of them. Nearby there's one of those coin purse monsters that will drop coins for you as you walk but his attack will shoot coins and they will be removed from your actual coin count. You have to sit there at that plant and just shoot coins at it. Like multiple hundreds of your coins to make the plant slowly grow and eventually a moon will come out. It's dumb

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RCarr posted:

The additional moons just open up new areas. There’s no additional ending or anything.

what, i thought there was when you get the harder bowser fight at 880 or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really, really like Bound Bowl. I was preparing to hate it since I wanted it to be a slide, but loved the first track and the secret track. I'd actually pay $5 for DLC with multiplayer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Macaluso posted:

In the river there's a spot that has some coins around it on the ground, with a plant growing in the middle of them. Nearby there's one of those coin purse monsters that will drop coins for you as you walk but his attack will shoot coins and they will be removed from your actual coin count. You have to sit there at that plant and just shoot coins at it. Like multiple hundreds of your coins to make the plant slowly grow and eventually a moon will come out. It's dumb
I had capped that dude and seen that plant and not at any point connected the two. That's pretty stupid but yeah whatever I can do that, thanks :shobon:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Any advice for the moon in the Northern part of the Seaside Kingdom where you have to ground pound three spots then once more in the center, gently caress these kelp assholes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Any advice for the moon in the Northern part of the Seaside Kingdom where you have to ground pound three spots then once more in the center, gently caress these kelp assholes.

If you're not averse to motion controls, the spin-attack of the Cheep Cheep also counts as a ground pound for that purpose.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alxprit posted:

If you're not averse to motion controls, the spin-attack of the Cheep Cheep also counts as a ground pound for that purpose.

I'm not, but if I was I would be able to put it aside because I hate Kelp.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This game is so cool, how are there possibly that many moons??? I definitely can't find 50+ in the city, I feel like I must be missing a huge section of it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This game is so cool, how are there possibly that many moons??? I definitely can't find 50+ in the city, I feel like I must be missing a huge section of it.

A bunch of moons are only obtainable in postgame.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cheetah7071 posted:

And in New Donk City especially there's all sorts of heights and nooks and crannies and random NPCs to talk to and places to park a motor scooter.

Literally. Two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah but there's over 50 on the checklist even before then - I have like 30 in this one. I haven't been trying to do everything in one pass but usually I can do better than this.

I did get a motor scooter parking one after driving it up some stairs which is pretty funny, doubly so given that I'm talking about a mario game.

• Locked thread