Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol this will end well. Be sure to remember your SA password and contact us during boot camp. Also send us your div mailbox so we mail you care packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If they are that desperate for nukes they aren't going to deny your paperwork. LOL RIP

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Please please pleaseeee come back and tell us how much you hate life in a few months mmkay?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LogicalFallacy posted:

Let's put it this way. Y'all can commence the well-pissing now.

ninja edit: Though if I find out I'm too old or some poo poo like that, I'd like the rope please.

loving lol. You have decades of navy experience from literally all walks of the navy, enlisted and officer, gently caress even a co telling you you're a loving idiot but you think you know better. We aren't doing thus for fun, we're doing it to help you.

I feel like this happens every time we get a nuke wannabe in here. It never ends different, but it still happens. At least your recruiter will get a pat on the back lmao.

Edit: There was a paragraph of careposting here but gently caress that.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 6, 2017

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I finished Tech core at self-paced NIDA bullshit. I took my sweet rear end time and 19 weeks. At the end of it, they sat us all in a classroom and the ETs came and gave a speel the the FCs showed a video of the CIWS with no locking bar lighting up a beach of some deserted island and accidentally blowing up a water buffalo thing. Half the class chose FC then and there. This was 2003 thats how I became an ET

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I swear to gently caress you are a moron. Dude when you off yourself at least have the decency to make it look like an accident so your wife gets the death benefits.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
I am not in the military. I have no plans to join the military. Even I recognize that when everyone other than your recruiter is saying, “Don’t do this,” and giving you personal examples of what they know and how they know that this is a terrible idea, and even just using straight logic to point out how you can figure out that it’s a bad idea ($100,000 signing bonus), its a loving bad idea.

Even I, having never been in and with no plans or designs to be in, know you’re being a loving idiot.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LogicalFallacy posted:

ninja edit: Though if I find out I'm too old or some poo poo like that, I'd like the rope please.

:munch:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LogicalFallacy posted:

This is a long term comedic investment and I'm glad to be on the ground floor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This guy is/was a CO of ship.

He's prepared to enjoy your tears after all the warning you got.

Reflect.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

McNally posted:

This is a long term comedic investment and I'm glad to be on the ground floor.

Should provide enough LOLs to sustain us for years!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My Nuke roommate apparently went to DRB today because he was SIQ for a few days so naturally he didn’t come in on his duty day yesterday. Reasoning was his chit didn’t say he couldn’t stand watch.

It was dropped, but the fact he had to wear his blues and get yelled at...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

Should provide enough LOLs to sustain us for years!

He won't have time to post about how poo poo his life is.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Hi, I have no deeper knowledge of the US Navy, but let me add:
In my 16 years of reading SA I have never seen a thread disagree that hard and unanimously with a choice.
Let that sink in.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol this will end well. Be sure to remember your SA password and contact us during boot camp. Also send us your div mailbox so we mail you care packages.

Additional Protip: do not open any care packages we send you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A large group of people tell you earnestly that you will probably fail out of this program and if you succeed will hate every second of your life for years with a significant chance of a bullet to the dome as your exit strategy and you take it with a "golly gee folks guess you're gonna have to laugh at me later."

You have enough time to save yourself. There are zero people that come out of the nuke world that say "aww, it wasn't as bad as it was hyped up to be."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

A large group of people tell you earnestly that you will probably fail out of this program and if you succeed will hate every second of your life for years with a significant chance of a bullet to the dome as your exit strategy and you take it with a "golly gee folks guess you're gonna have to laugh at me later."

You have enough time to save yourself. There are zero people that come out of the nuke world that say "aww, it wasn't as bad as it was hyped up to be."

I have fewer regrets than most of the people here, but I got out in 1992, when it wasn't as lovely of a place.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Do USN personnel refer to the capt as the old man?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
not unheard of

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Do USN personnel refer to the capt as the old man?

Yeah, sometimes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All the time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Madurai posted:

Additional Protip: do not open any care packages we send you.

gently caress you he does what he wants.

Send the contact info.

Open the packages.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Based on everything everyone in this thread has said, unanimously, to you so far, let me introduce you to your new life for the next what will seem like forever:

Navy---> :maga: <----- you

Edit: When statistically, 1 in 30 of your coworkers choose a goddamn bullet over doing their jobs jfc. As a civilian that blows my goddamn mind.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 6, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PneumonicBook posted:

Self paced turns into move at the quickest pace possible to completion so the schoolhouse numbers look good, which leads to memorization of the material needed, and lack of actual learning or retention.

How is this different from any instructor-led classroom training in the military?

LogicalFallacy posted:

:laffo::laffo:

You guys tried. You legitimately tried.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The allure of the Rod!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In the navy there is plenty of rod :heysexy:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

How is this different from any instructor-led classroom training in the military?

I've been at great lakes for both and in my professional and dumb navy opinion, instructor led is better with the caveat that it's entirely dependent on the instructor and both the vetting and removal process regarding instructors are basically non existent other than sexual assault.

Forgot to mention earlier that the last nuke I met transferred to the reserves as an ht and was incredibly happy.

About being an HT.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

About being an HT.

Housekeeping. I heard your shitter's plugged?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I've been at great lakes for both and in my professional and dumb navy opinion, instructor led is better with the caveat that it's entirely dependent on the instructor and both the vetting and removal process regarding instructors are basically non existent other than sexual assault.

Forgot to mention earlier that the last nuke I met transferred to the reserves as an ht and was incredibly happy.

About being an HT.

Shits cool. Reserves 4 lyfe.

I'm going back to Hawaii in Jan to be the cabin boy for a few officers. Woo!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I like hanging out with sailors because it doesn't matter how bad my dad bod gets, I always look fitter than most of the Chief's mess.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

Do you owe somebody money? Is there a problem you think you’re going to solve with that signing bonus? Are you one of those people who believe there’s honor in suffering and that you need to self-flagellate in order to find your truest self?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Well, we tried.

My only consolation is that I will probably see you wandering around the mall in your dress uniform wearing a backpack for some reason.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
People jump to their death from the 3rd floor barracks at the nuke a school

At least have the stones to tell everyone here gently caress you instead of this aw shucks poo poo

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
at least he's not enlisting with a degree I guess

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I mean if nothing else speaking as someone who's almost certainly not going to join the Navy but has considered it from time to time, you all have certainly convinced me of what not to do :v:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MancXVI posted:

Do you owe somebody money? Is there a problem you think you’re going to solve with that signing bonus? Are you one of those people who believe there’s honor in suffering and that you need to self-flagellate in order to find your truest self?

I wonder if his recruiter told him that the tax on enlistment bonuses is like 38%.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

There's also the nonzero possibility that he's exactly the type of person that fits in perfectly as a nuke, for whom this life is not stressful.

A robot or something. Idunno, not a human, that's for sure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There's also the nonzero possibility that he's exactly the type of person that fits in perfectly as a nuke, for whom this life is not stressful.

A robot or something. Idunno, not a human, that's for sure.

There is no one for whom the life is not stressful and miserable. Some just tolerate it better than others because they're autistic and monotony works for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
diamonds harden under pressure into something beautiful and consistent.

nukes harden under pressure, concealing a bitter and depressed nougat core