Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
I nearly replaced the 5400 HDD on my gaming laptop with a SSD since Win10 was running like dogshit on it. Turns out Win10 just needs more than 4GB of RAM (I got an extra 8GB stick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fishmech posted:

What you need to do is to go to set a custom size, make it like 125% or something, save it, and then change the custom size to 100%. For some reason this will make it remember when a monitor disconnects/laptop lid closes/dock cycles/whatever.

Thanks very much for that.

How do you get to that Custom Scaling screen though?

I tried searching but it doesn't come up, and I can't find the path to navigate to it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Faith For Two posted:

The reason I wanted to install windows 10 in the first place is because that computer was plagued with BSOD's happening frequently.

Think that mobo is toast. Reseated everything and latest bios?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

~Coxy posted:

Thanks very much for that.

How do you get to that Custom Scaling screen though?

I tried searching but it doesn't come up, and I can't find the path to navigate to it.

I got to it from the normal display screen near where it shows the default settings.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

huhwhat posted:

I nearly replaced the 5400 HDD on my gaming laptop with a SSD since Win10 was running like dogshit on it. Turns out Win10 just needs more than 4GB of RAM (I got an extra 8GB stick).

Uhm... well, they kinda do compensate for each other. The system can prefetch more stuff into RAM and has to kick stuff out less often so that it doesn't have to go to disk as much, but if you have an SSD 4GB isn't inherently a bad place to be depending on what you're doing. It's just fine for streaming video or Steam games and running a few browser tabs.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 6, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Faith For Two posted:

m/b
p8p67 evo

cpu
i7 2600
I'm typing this reply from a computer with a P8P67 Pro motherboard and I7 2600 3.4GHZ that's been running Windows 10 flawlessly since 1507. The drivers are not the issue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh wait, I just remembered I was getting that error on some upgraded HPs at work. It turned out to be the size of the System Reserved partition wasn't updated properly in the upgrade. It would fart out and still have the 100MB that Windows 7 was happy with, but then error out on boot because Windows 10 wasn't able to fit all of its required boot poo poo in there. If you can get to a partitioning thing, try extending it to 500MB then running startup repair.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Another person running a relic here - P8P67le w/3770K, still humming along fine, triple-booting XP, Win7, and Win10. Win10 needed no additional drivers to do it's thing.

I'd check the RAM w/Memtest for awhile before condemning the mobo, bad RAM will give you plenty of inexplicable errors.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

triple-booting XP, Win7, and Win10.

Why? Especially Win XP?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Adding myself to the list, my old P8P67 Pro and 2500k worked just fine on Windows 10. I just grabbed the latest bios off of Asus' website before I did the upgrade.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

What you need to do is to go to set a custom size, make it like 125% or something, save it, and then change the custom size to 100%. For some reason this will make it remember when a monitor disconnects/laptop lid closes/dock cycles/whatever.

I've also read that disabling selective USB suspend in Power options can prevent Display Port monitors from being disconnected when off.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, after I had the hard lock yesterday, I wanted to rollback this morning. Didn't work. It got stuck in a reboot-loop.

So I got my work PC, got the MS media creation tool and made a USB stick ready.

Well, I had used Bitlocker on my drive, and the loving thing wouldn't take my recovery key, even though I had printed it out when I made it, and the ID and everything matched. I had deleted the key off of MS' site, because of course I had.

So I had to nuke the partition and reinstall.

Of course, the version it installed is the fall creators update, the one I'm having problems with.

So, when (lol) I start having problems, how do I get the previous version of Windows?

Alternatively, is there any point in trying to install the driver updates for my PC? I have a Packard Bell ENTG71BM, and there are a bunch of updates for it on the support site, but all of them are from 2015.

e: It just loving froze again!

e2: Updated my BIOS

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 6, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Flagrama posted:

Can confirm my desktop used to get stuck at 100% disk usage on a 7200RPM drive and Windows 8. I still don't know what caused it because my disk died shortly after it started happening which could possibly be related. After that I bought an SSD and haven't even concerned myself with the thought of it.

FWIW, after a lot of digging around, it turns out the WINDOWS ANTIMALWARE SERVICE was just ruining my disk constantly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Edge now allows drag and drop into the Favorites bar directly from the URL bar. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

FWIW, after a lot of digging around, it turns out the WINDOWS ANTIMALWARE SERVICE was just ruining my disk constantly.

And you can't turn it off. Nice!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

AlternateAccount posted:

It runs background scans on the disk that are scheduled, but it should be running that IO as low priority and causing minimal impact to user interactive processes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It runs background scans on the disk that are scheduled, but it should be running that IO as low priority and causing minimal impact to user interactive processes.

I would have thought, but it was hammering it pretty hard. Not sure why. It was definitely dragging everything down really badly. Like I was thinking my SSD was failing or something.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AlternateAccount posted:

I would have thought, but it was hammering it pretty hard. Not sure why. It was definitely dragging everything down really badly. Like I was thinking my SSD was failing or something.

I've had that happen on a particular file before, every time it scanned my Downloads folder it just started to chug. Deleted that and it was fine

Have a look in Resource Monitor if you want to know what files the process is working on

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Have a look in Resource Monitor if you want to know what files the process is working on
That would take clicking a button in task manager. And as this thread and reddit show: windows users are incapable of doing that.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Anyone see/hear anything about Windows 10 Pro for Workstations? I thought it was supposed to be released on TechNet or whatever when the Fall update came out?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Anyone see/hear anything about Windows 10 Pro for Workstations? I thought it was supposed to be released on TechNet or whatever when the Fall update came out?

Perhaps Microsoft are still figuring out what other features they'll remove from Win 10 Pro before bringing out Win 10 for Workstations?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bobfather posted:

Perhaps Microsoft are still figuring out what other features they'll remove from Win 10 Pro before bringing out Win 10 for Workstations?

So far the differentiation has only been licensing for multi-CPU-socket machines and huge amounts of RAM, as far as I know? Just a couple "server features" added to a "desktop" SKU.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

nielsm posted:

So far the differentiation has only been licensing for multi-CPU-socket machines and huge amounts of RAM, as far as I know? Just a couple "server features" added to a "desktop" SKU.

You get SMB-Direct as well, that was Server only until now.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Theres an option to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations on windows store

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

nielsm posted:

They also removed refs support from mirrored storage spaces.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

Why? Especially Win XP?

The XP drive dates from the Core2Quad days; I just popped it back in when I updated to Ivy Bridge, installed drivers and left it. There's a ton of old games on it that have issues with newer OS's. When a new OS comes out, I just throw another drive into the box and install it, save a lot of hassle that way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Run it in a virtual machine, good lord man. :psyduck: And why would you dual boot 7 and 10, for that matter?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

MikusR posted:

That would take clicking a button in task manager. And as this thread and reddit show: windows users are incapable of doing that.

Or clicking start and typing resmon. Your point still stands.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Run it in a virtual machine, good lord man. :psyduck: And why would you dual boot 7 and 10, for that matter?

a virtual machine that lacks network access, preferably

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Running a 3D game on a standard desktop install of VMware has never worked very well, if at all, for me.

I know you can run a hypervisor setup and pass the video card directly to the guest OS, but that sounds like a poo poo-ton of hassle compared to 'leaving old hard drive in the machine and changing boot order in the BIOS on the rare occasion when nostalgia strikes'.

As for the 7-10 thing, I've always done it that way; install the new OS, play around with it as teething troubles go away and apps are updated, but you still have old faithful to go back to if things go bad(and Win10 has had a few issues). Eventually you'll spend 90% of your time on the new OS, cool.

Having a little-used drive still hooked up to the machine doesn't hurt anything-SSD's use little power and don't make noise, and if you gently caress something up on the primary OS, you're not boned.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm usually one of the guys pushing the stragglers to update, but I definitely understand the problem of old games not getting along with modern OSes. There are an unfortunately large number of games designed for Windows 95/98/Me which don't work on modern OSes. Some use 16 bit code, some use deprecated parts of DirectX, some make assumptions that modern hardware violates, and some just bomb out the second they see NT because the NT they knew couldn't play games.

Sometimes the Windows "Compatibility Mode" stuff helps, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes these games play better on WINE under Linux than they do on Windows 10.

I haven't tried VMware in a few years but I've had a pretty similar experience with VirtualBox. Some games do run, but most of those also run fine on modern Windows. Very few of the picky games get along with the virtual 3D driver.

Running XP natively gets you the most stable and up-to-date system that can still run the majority of those games.

---

The only part of that I really have a problem with is the multi-booting. I wouldn't trust XP to have raw access to the boot disk of a system I actually cared about. I'd have it as a separate machine that I only used for old games, preferably set up on a private VLAN where its internet access is limited and it can't reach my main LAN.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Doxbos bros: https://www.dosbox.com/

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Dosbox doesn't let me run a 16-bit native Windows application though. :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to read an OSX hard drive from Windows 10? My Macbook died and there are a few files I'd like to pull that were on the drive but not backed up in Dropbox. I think I had the main drive encrypted but also had a time machine backup.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

brylcreem posted:

e2: Updated my BIOS

Win10 I've found to occasionally be finicky with BIOS updates. I've had an HP laptop that was brand new in about 2015, running W10 and 1607 but refused to update to 1703 until it had a BIOS update.

Also had a certain model of Core i3 (sandy bridge era) desktop I was dealing with. It would play nice with Win7 but would have this nasty hang on reboot with Win10. That hang was fixed with a BIOS update and in some cases an SSD firmware update.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there any way to read an OSX hard drive from Windows 10? My Macbook died and there are a few files I'd like to pull that were on the drive but not backed up in Dropbox. I think I had the main drive encrypted but also had a time machine backup.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-read-mac-formatted-drive-windows/

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ProjektorBoy posted:

Win10 I've found to occasionally be finicky with BIOS updates. I've had an HP laptop that was brand new in about 2015, running W10 and 1607 but refused to update to 1703 until it had a BIOS update.

Also had a certain model of Core i3 (sandy bridge era) desktop I was dealing with. It would play nice with Win7 but would have this nasty hang on reboot with Win10. That hang was fixed with a BIOS update and in some cases an SSD firmware update.

Cool!

Thanks for replying 👍

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

isndl posted:

Dosbox doesn't let me run a 16-bit native Windows application though. :smith:

Windows 3.1 actually runs pretty well under DOSBox, but a full VM is definitely better for that.

Still doesn't help with the early 32 bit games.

Hard Truck 2 and POD are my two games I really want to play again which I haven't been able to get working on anything modern.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

wolrah posted:

POD, which I haven't been able to get working on anything modern.

POD is such a loving bastard. I have a P3 733Mhz Windows 98 rig and it barely even runs on that. Janky as hell and half the time, the car sprites just totally disappear. It's gotta be weird Windows 95 hardware that it was designed for. That, and it's based on Macromedia.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You still can't do 3D acceleration well enough to run most games in an VM, which pretty much eliminates a solid 3-4 years of games in the late Win98 era that were leaning heavily on that new fangled 3D acceleration stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Did anything from that era age well though?