Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Has anyone else noticed that Bob Huang's latest Grixis Delver list has a 16 card sideboard?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116987

An identical list from both EW and the last Legacy Open, what the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Gotta get those little edges where you can.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We had a guy at our shop trade four sneak attack, four show and tell, and two emrakul the aeons torn for all ixalan packs last week. Some people just are aren’t that bright when it comes to packs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I hope they at least gave him a lot of packs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

We had a guy at our shop trade four sneak attack, four show and tell, and two emrakul the aeons torn for all ixalan packs last week. Some people just are aren’t that bright when it comes to packs.

Sneak and Show isn't even that expensive anymore since their reprints.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This particular player is well known throughout our Magic community and at life in general for being a clueless loving idiot. I just want to yell at her sonetimes about the colossal waste it is to throw away a good start to a Modern mana base for booster packs.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I think he should be praised for lowering the count of Sneak and Show players

so because I am a huge idiot moron hellfucker and just love to set money on fire to play this collectible card game for children (and because the best scene in the US for it is here), I've started putting this together for 93/94

Creatures:
4 Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
4 River Merfolk
4 Lord of Atlantis
3 Serendib Efreet
2 Clone

Spells:
4 Counterspell
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Disenchant
3 Force Spike
1 Unsummon
1 Braingeyser
1 Time Walk
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Timetwister
1 Chaos Orb

Mana:
4 Tundra
4 Strip Mine
5 Island
4 City of Brass
1 Tolaria
1 Sol Ring
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Black Lotus

Sideboard:
4 Dandan
3 Phantasmal Terrain
2 King Suleiman
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Blue Elemental Blast
1 Balance
1 Maze of Ith

It's likely "correct" to just play a pile of serendib efreets, serra angels, and like a Serendib Djinn or Thunder Spirit or two but that's loving boring so I went this route. Clone is hot copying either Efreet or Lord, or an opponent's serra angel or something. most old school decks have Mishra's factory in them, but I opted to play four strip mine as my colorless lands because strip mine is Very Good. It's possibly a little light on mana, but the deck is really low-to-the-ground

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I would love to play a format where Serendib Efreet is playable but I also play Magic with people that would never show up for unlimited proxy Legacy or Vintage.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

my friend, have you heard the good news about sea stompy?

fake edit: nevermind, you send you can't get proxy legacy to fire either

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

my friend, have you heard the good news about sea stompy?

fake edit: nevermind, you send you can't get proxy legacy to fire either

I can't even get sanctioned Modern to fire at a store where people pour a bunch of money into Masters sets buying packs looking for that one Commander single they need and trade in their fetchlands and Noble Hierarchs and other power cards for more packs.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

I can't even get sanctioned Modern to fire at a store where people pour a bunch of money into Masters sets buying packs looking for that one Commander single they need and trade in their fetchlands and Noble Hierarchs and other power cards for more packs.

It's time for you to buy that single and trade them for the fetches/modern stables!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thisuck posted:

It's time for you to buy that single and trade them for the fetches/modern stables!

Except that the card they usually want is only worth ten dollars at the most.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Except that the card they usually want is only worth ten dollars at the most.

At least they're supporting LGS?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

I would love to play a format where Serendib Efreet is playable but I also play Magic with people that would never show up for unlimited proxy Legacy or Vintage.

play TSP draft

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thisuck posted:

At least they're supporting LGS?

Even the guy that runs the place thinks they should just buy the god drat singles they want. He'll even order it for you from Cool Stuff Inc. or ChannelFireball if you ask. He'd also love it if we had Modern fire every month just to get me to shut up about it and so people buy some of his Modern singles.

Part of the problem is that he has Modern scheduled at a time that no one can remember. Who the gently caress remembers "second-to-last Friday of the month"? He changed it to the last Friday of the month, and great loving timing because the last holidays of the year are at or near the end of the month.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Even the guy that runs the place thinks they should just buy the god drat singles they want. He'll even order it for you from Cool Stuff Inc. or ChannelFireball if you ask. He'd also love it if we had Modern fire every month just to get me to shut up about it and so people buy some of his Modern singles.

Part of the problem is that he has Modern scheduled at a time that no one can remember. Who the gently caress remembers "second-to-last Friday of the month"? He changed it to the last Friday of the month, and great loving timing because the last holidays of the year are at or near the end of the month.

RIP, I remember reading the second-to-last Friday and that just confused the hell out of me why anyone would schedule it that way. The new LGS I'm going to now is gauging how many people actually wants modern tournies. Hopefully it's a decent amount of people so we can get that to fire consistently. I'm going there right now because it's closer to where I live now and they also do free FNMs with prizes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Our other problem is that this is a card and game store in central Wyoming. If I lived in Casper, a town with a population of 50,000, then there wouldn't be a problem because there's four different places to play at. There's one tiny shop where I live in Riverton wit2b a satellite store an hour away in Thermopolis. Ten thousand people live here, but the Magic scene is pretty small. I think we should at least make Modern the first Friday, but because they do Standard alongside it, it splits the base. I've suggested just making the Modern night for FNM Modern only, but the owner thinks he'll lose business if only four people show up for Modern but twelve Standard players stay home.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Why wouldn't he just have a separate designated night for modern? Only one store in our area does modern fnm, the store I go to did it during the fatal push month but stopped when attendance dropped. Instead one store nearby has modern every monday, the store I frequent every tuesday, and a third store that caters more to younger people has modern on thursdays at 4:30 to get the kids but avoid the older grinders.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My local store is all modern every FNM, and only runs standard on saturdays.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The Sexual Shiite posted:

My local store is all modern every FNM, and only runs standard on saturdays.

A good store.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why wouldn't he just have a separate designated night for modern? Only one store in our area does modern fnm, the store I go to did it during the fatal push month but stopped when attendance dropped. Instead one store nearby has modern every monday, the store I frequent every tuesday, and a third store that caters more to younger people has modern on thursdays at 4:30 to get the kids but avoid the older grinders.

Because he's got D&D on Tuesday night, alternates between Force of Will and Magic draft on Wednesday afternoon and then board games at night, Pokémon on Thursday night, FNM all day on Friday, and Standard Showdown and Magic draft all day on Saturday. Closed on Sunday and Monday. People here would rather let their mountain of cards that rotated out of Standard rot in a closet than give them a second life in Modern.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Has anyone else noticed that Bob Huang's latest Grixis Delver list has a 16 card sideboard?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116987

An identical list from both EW and the last Legacy Open, what the hell?

If it's identical to EW, the board posted there is wrong (from the EW decklists posted here - http://www.eternalcentral.com/legacychamps2017/ )

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

A good store.

Nah, my store alternates between Legacy and Modern. That's how you do it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

My store only does legacy FNM.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I miss Legacy on Wednesdays in Laramie :(

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

My store only does legacy FNM.

My store only does Vintage (only Beta Power allowed).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

(only Beta Power allowed).

Lol, buncha poors playing beta power and not artist proofs.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I only play with original art shuffled together.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ah, speaking of 93/93,

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

it was originally only Alpha, but too many people wanna play Volcanic Island.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

it was originally only Alpha, but too many people wanna play Volcanic Island.

The real casualty is CoP: Black. And obviously Orcish Oriflamme has to be banned when it costs 1R.

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

So, I would really like to get in to modern and UR Breach looks something I'd like to play, something like this: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-u-r-breach-40047#paper

I've got:
3x snapcaster
3x Emrakul
4x Breach
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Serum Visions
1x Izzet Charm
2x Electrolyze
2x Spreading Seas

1x Desolate Lighthouse
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Polluted Delta
1x Steam Vents
1x Sulfur Falls

How should I prioritize my buys and trades? Playset of Scalding Tarns is probably gonna be last anyway. How important is Vendilion Clique? Is there some good budget replacement for it?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Probably not very and Peek or Dispel respectively.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I kind of want to build that deck too but I already have enough decks that I don't play. Maybe if I get bored of Valakut Breach I will re-purpose my Emmys and Breaches into that...

There are a lot of pricey cards for the deck which sucks, but many of them are useful in other decks. I know that the list also runs a couple Blood Moons, those are currently as cheap as they've been in a long time so it might be good to pick them up now.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Please put four blood moons in your blood moon deck. You can also get away running the cheaper khans blue fetches and not run the mountain. It's not great but it will tide you over until you get the tarns. Buy your cliques now because they're the cheapest i've seen them

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Took 42 land swans to Modern Monday, went 4-0 with a round 1 bye, Beat Grixis Deaths Shadow, Mono Blue Tron, and Affinity.

Highlights included winning with Days undoing two games in a row, and affinity just having no idea what the gently caress was happening.

I think I'll probably take this deck to the next middling modern tournament for the laughs.

Played Bant spirits last weekend at a 5k and went 5-2-1 (would have been 6-2 but I intentionally drew with a teammate) I'll have a tournament report up in the next couple days.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Vendilion Clique is great for the tempo backup plan

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm pumped to play a ton of Legacy in Atlanta this weekend :black101:

I never get to play around here anymore, the one store that stole all of the Legacy players (thanks to allowing proxies) is run by this Libertarian dipshit I refuse to give my business to :smith:. The upside is that the less savory side of the local magic community here naturally gravitates to that guy, so by avoiding his store I rarely have to deal with MRAs and racists, the community at my regular store has been filtered rather nicely.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm pumped to play a ton of Legacy in Atlanta this weekend :black101:

I never get to play around here anymore, the one store that stole all of the Legacy players (thanks to allowing proxies) is run by this Libertarian dipshit I refuse to give my business to :smith:. The upside is that the less savory side of the local magic community here naturally gravitates to that guy, so by avoiding his store I rarely have to deal with MRAs and racists, the community at my regular store has been filtered rather nicely.

Legacy being played by a lot of FYGM folks? Seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Proxy legacy, so it's the temporarily-embarrassed sort of FYGM people.