Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

ProfessorCirno posted:

EDIT: "In our best games, we don't even pick up the die!" is so common, and so, so loving telling.

As a guy who fuckin' love mechanics, I gotta tell you freeform roleplaying is a beast if you have enough people willing to give it a real go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Free-form role playing is great! (With the right group and some other obvious caveats.)

But forking out money to buy one of the more expensive roleplaying games just so you can do that is loving dumb. (Seriously : how much is a copy of Fiasco if that’s what you’re going to do anyway?)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wood Elf racial lets you attempt to hide when you're lightly obscured by natural phenomena like, you know, dim light.
Get an owl familiar, either from Arcane Trickster, or Magic Initiate, or from a spell scroll (first two preferable in case you lose it and need to recast).
Have a buddy Haste you.

So your trusty owl flies in, uses Help on you against the baddie, then flies off because owls literally don't give a flying gently caress about opportunity attacks. Now you have advantage against said baddie, easy sneak attack, so you shoot with the Attack that Haste gives you.
And you're in dim light or darkness, because you're in a loving dungeon or some poo poo, aren't you? So you use Hide with your Cunning Action. Next attack is getting advantage, too!
And you've still got your normal action, so you use Ready, condition being whatever the gently caress you want, enemy moving or ally moving or whatever. It triggers with your reaction on a following turn - BAM another sneak attack.
Easy every time.

How do we make this better?

Sharpshooter, +10 damage to your attacks. -5 penalty you say? It's cool you've got advantage super advantage because...
UA is allowed? Elven loving Accuracy. Now your advantage attacks are 3d20.
But wait, what was that sound I heard? It was the sound of 14.26% chance to crit baby. You've got a magic item pick, right? Get a Vicious Longbow.

Enjoy.

:catstare:

Hang back and shoot faces isn't exactly what I had in mind, but yeah, that'll do the trick.

I dunno if we'll be using a grid or what, but getting into light cover isn't generally that hard, so that's great. I'll talk to a couple of people about the haste combo, but it seems like I'll be able to pull off one big, accurate attack most rounds without it anyway.

I guess I should keep up more with UA and with classes I don't generally play.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Dip a level of mystic for master of light and darkness to shoot from a darkness bubble you can see through or add nomadic arrow to never suffer disadvantage for missile attacks and reroll misses. Mystic is full of cheese if DM allows it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

As a guy who fuckin' love mechanics, I gotta tell you freeform roleplaying is a beast if you have enough people willing to give it a real go.

Freeform IS great! Like I said, i think in truth there are a lot of people who seriously would prefer outright freeform roleplay, who've been tricked, mislead, whatever, into thinking they need all this other bullshit surrounding it - that they inevitably end up not using.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Any advice for a first time game playing a Paladin wrt fighting style and feats? I've been thinking of either trying duelist with sword and board, resilient feat for CON or great weapon fighting and feat for polearms.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Depending on how your DM interprets things, polearm master + sentinel + smites have some pretty good synergy. e: You want GWF and a halberd for that.

I dunno about Resilient as a feat choice in general, but if you're gonna be a front line guy you could make much worse choices than extra con and con save proficiency.

e: Go vengeance, use Vow of Enmity as your bonus action on the first round. Stand at reach, not adjacent. Get 2 attacks with advantage, smite with one. On the opponent's turn, they'll have to move either towards you or away from you, so use your reaction to hit them and reduce their speed to zero (sentinel). You can smite with that too, if you need them to die fast. Repeat until they fall over, but on the second and later turns, you use your extra attack from polearm master as your bonus action instead of Vow Of Enmity. If your DM disallows the stunlock thing, you've still got some good ways to use your reaction from both Sentinel and Polarm Master, and getting another hit in with your bonus action is good even though the damage is low. After 7th level, your Relentless Avenger gives you extra mobility to position yourself for OA on other targets if you want.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 6, 2017

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
After taking Pact of the Chain, I learn my DM doesn't like familiars and won't allow usimg them for scouting. I still enjoyed using the imp as a distraction to give me advantage on my attacks, but I'm probably going to regret sticking with Chain instead of taking Tome instead, right?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

az posted:

Any advice for a first time game playing a Paladin wrt fighting style and feats? I've been thinking of either trying duelist with sword and board, resilient feat for CON or great weapon fighting and feat for polearms.

Resilient [Constitution] is very good - CON saves are the most common type you'll find in the MM, and with Aura of Protection and decent CHA will be auto-passing Concentration checks or nearly so.
Polearm Master is very strong on Paladins and I'd recommend that with either a Halberd + Defensive Fighting Style, or with a Quarterstaff+Shield and Dueling Fighting Style. It's a matter of whether you want Reach or better AC.

So either/both of those two feats and then proceed to max your Strength out.

PAM+Sentinel+Halberd is nice but Paladin doesn't really have the feats to afford all that without gimping their stats, as both Strength and Charisma are really good.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ah, yeah, sorry. Both my groups do ASI+feats and I tend to forget that isn't the actual rules when I talk about builds.

Ask your DM to do ASIs and feats instead of either/or.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 6, 2017

az
Dec 2, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Resilient [Constitution] is very good - CON saves are the most common type you'll find in the MM, and with Aura of Protection and decent CHA will be auto-passing Concentration checks or nearly so.
Polearm Master is very strong on Paladins and I'd recommend that with either a Halberd + Defensive Fighting Style, or with a Quarterstaff+Shield and Dueling Fighting Style. It's a matter of whether you want Reach or better AC.

So either/both of those two feats and then proceed to max your Strength out.

PAM+Sentinel+Halberd is nice but Paladin doesn't really have the feats to afford all that without gimping their stats, as both Strength and Charisma are really good.

Cool that sounds great, I think I will try the shield and one hander route. My STR is already maxed out because of a lucky roll, should I dump all points after getting resilient into CON or CHA (both 14)?

edit: What's special about the quarterstaff compared to a one handed martial weapon?

az fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 6, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

az posted:

edit: What's special about the quarterstaff compared to a one handed martial weapon?

Despite not being a Reach weapon, it specifically works with Polearm Master.

Polearm master is an OK feat in general, but for pallies it's great because although the damage from the bonus-action attack is only a d4, you can still Smite with it. Because the quarterstaff is Versatile, you can use it with a shield and still get the bonus-action attack, which means you can alpha strike a dude with 2 (later 3) Smites in one round and still carry a shield. Not super useful at very early levels when you have few spells/smites, but it's amazing in boss fights at mid level.

With my paladin I took the view that the best surviavbility thing you could possibly have is to kill opponents before they get to hit you so I went with the higher damge halberd instead of the shield combo. It's been working out so far.

E: VVVVV Both my DMs run with ASIs+feats instead of choosing between those, and I went variant human for the bonus feat so I can't comment on when to take which advances with anything more than my assumptions, but I would assume that you'd want PM as early as possible.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 6, 2017

az
Dec 2, 2005

Ooh that is pretty neat. I assume I'll take resilient as my ASI at 4 and then polearm master at 8?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

az posted:

Ooh that is pretty neat. I assume I'll take resilient as my ASI at 4 and then polearm master at 8?

I suggest Polearm Master first: an additional attack is really strong, particularly with Dueling Fighting Style since it applies.

Resilient is more significant if it helps round out an uneven stat, like 13 or 15. What race are you playing?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Goliath, from EE I think?
I'm really green on anything pen and paper related, having only played DnD videogames previously but I figured that the constitution saving throw proficiency would be really important?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It is, but the feat also gives you a +1 to the relevant stat so it's best if applied to an uneven stat so that it can go up the next bonus rung (because DnD is stupid and odd numbers in stats do nothing). So if you've got a 13 or 15 that's nice to put in constitution then round it with resilient.

But if you don't it's still okay. PAM first either way.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Oh yeah, I should have asked here first before doing character creation I guess :shobon:
Thank you for the help, hope I actually get to find a quarterstaff early in the game. It's some sort of prison colony setting with no gear start.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

az posted:

Yeah, don't put your 9 on CON.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Toebone posted:

After taking Pact of the Chain, I learn my DM doesn't like familiars and won't allow usimg them for scouting. I still enjoyed using the imp as a distraction to give me advantage on my attacks, but I'm probably going to regret sticking with Chain instead of taking Tome instead, right?

If you take Tome you can still have a Familiar with the Find Familiar spell from said feature. You lose some benefits but if all you're getting is Advantage on attacks, you might as well switch if you can.

Edit: With the Book of Ancient Secrets, not just the pact itself.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 6, 2017

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Has anyone else done the ASI + feat house rule? If so how did it work out? Did players feel free to take a wider range of feats than just the one or two power options for their build? It sounds interesting and I'm tempted to try it in the next game I run.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

az posted:

Oh yeah, I should have asked here first before doing character creation I guess :shobon:
Thank you for the help, hope I actually get to find a quarterstaff early in the game. It's some sort of prison colony setting with no gear start.

Quarterstaffs are one of the most common options in such a setting. They’re thick trees or tent poles or something, which are easy to find next to solid piece of wood (club) and literally any knife (dagger).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there enough varied and useful monster abilities that some kind of Blue Mage class would be viable? Something with a minor melee build that gets augmented by monster attacks and abilities to do more damage, or control the field, or even be a blaster.

Hard to balance and requires a lot of knowledge of the MM and extra paperwork but I think it could be neat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The most interesting ones are stuff like the Yetis chilling gaze (damage and paralyze) and fluff things like the orcs Aggressive and such.

There isnt much that only monsters do though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the intellect devourer ability would be hilarious to have available

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there enough varied and useful monster abilities that some kind of Blue Mage class would be viable? Something with a minor melee build that gets augmented by monster attacks and abilities to do more damage, or control the field, or even be a blaster.

Hard to balance and requires a lot of knowledge of the MM and extra paperwork but I think it could be neat.

It really wouldn’t work, the economy of the game doesn’t fit and you really don’t want to get hit by a lot of spells

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It really wouldn’t work, the economy of the game doesn’t fit and you really don’t want to get hit by a lot of spells

you could absorb abilities from defeated foes. regeneration from trolls, need silver to hit from vampire , etc

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Also doesn't have to be a flimsy Wizard or Sorcerer. I'd play the gently caress out of a Spelleater Barbarian.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The vast majority of "monster abilities" boil down to "they can cast these spells," so...it's a wizard.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Razorwired posted:

Also doesn't have to be a flimsy Wizard or Sorcerer. I'd play the gently caress out of a Spelleater Barbarian.

I'd think it would play kind of like a druid

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

What does a blue mage do when fighting, say, zombies or orcs or other monsters that don't have much in the way of interesting special abilities?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

Has anyone else done the ASI + feat house rule? If so how did it work out? Did players feel free to take a wider range of feats than just the one or two power options for their build? It sounds interesting and I'm tempted to try it in the next game I run.

The difference I've seen is that players take feats that they think will be cool, rather than trying to pick only feats that are "worth" the +numbers they're giving up. It also lets the more optimisation-minded players fiddle a bit more finely with their ability scores.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

AlphaDog posted:

Depending on how your DM interprets things, polearm master + sentinel + smites have some pretty good synergy. e: You want GWF and a halberd for that.

I dunno about Resilient as a feat choice in general, but if you're gonna be a front line guy you could make much worse choices than extra con and con save proficiency.

e: Go vengeance, use Vow of Enmity as your bonus action on the first round. Stand at reach, not adjacent. Get 2 attacks with advantage, smite with one. On the opponent's turn, they'll have to move either towards you or away from you, so use your reaction to hit them and reduce their speed to zero (sentinel). You can smite with that too, if you need them to die fast. Repeat until they fall over, but on the second and later turns, you use your extra attack from polearm master as your bonus action instead of Vow Of Enmity. If your DM disallows the stunlock thing, you've still got some good ways to use your reaction from both Sentinel and Polarm Master, and getting another hit in with your bonus action is good even though the damage is low. After 7th level, your Relentless Avenger gives you extra mobility to position yourself for OA on other targets if you want.

Polearm Mastery only activates on enemies moving into range of you. If they start their turn in range you don't get to hit and root them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CJ posted:

Polearm Mastery only activates on enemies moving into range of you. If they start their turn in range you don't get to hit and root them.

I'm not going to argue about this, but I'll point out that I wrote "depending on how your DM interprets things" as the very first words of that post.

If your DM doesn't interpret those rules as "you still get your OA when they move from Reach to Adjacent", then you should try to set up your move so you can take your 2 or 3 attacks from Reach, then step back 5' and root them if they approach on their turn. You'll only draw OA while stepping back if the enemy also has a reach weapon, and it's generally going to be better to eat an OA than an attack action.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bonus if they let you take that broken tunnel fighter fighting style that says opportunity attacks don't cost your reaction.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Selachian posted:

What does a blue mage do when fighting, say, zombies or orcs or other monsters that don't have much in the way of interesting special abilities?

Throw bar darts like The Lord Gygax intended casters to do.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Toebone posted:

What exactly is their justification for not allowing something that is written down in the rules as a thing you can do?

Imps are still great for other reasons, such as advantage and giving you always-on Magic Resistance, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't let you use it to scout.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

The vast majority of "monster abilities" boil down to "they can cast these spells," so...it's a wizard.

The Adventures in Middle Earth DM book has a whole section of generic monster abilities, and from memory none of them relate to spellcasting (due to the lack of spellcasting in AME generally).

It might be possible to use that list of abilities as the basis for a PC stealing monster powers.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Bard Colleges to stay away from or ones to go for with interesting stuff in them? I think I'm going to be very supporty.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Razorwired posted:

Throw bar darts like The Lord Gygax intended casters to do.

I think this is one of my favorite things that early D&D did - because they didn't specify plumbata, bar darts have become insanely lethal superweapons in some D&D universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Elendil004 posted:

Bard Colleges to stay away from or ones to go for with interesting stuff in them? I think I'm going to be very supporty.
Lore is the most flexible in that you get more spells from other classes - that will get you the best breadth of support/control/whatever you want. Valor is melee combat + bard, satire is roguish stuff + bard, I forget the rest tbh.