Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'd go with ECE because its a government regulation enforced in the EU rather than a voluntary marketing badge as far as i can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snell isn't just a "voluntary marketing badge," it's the standard required by nearly all motorsports organizations in North America.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

Snell vs ECE is a huge shitfest akin to "what oil brand is the best" that's not worth getting into. Both are functionally equivalent and if you buy a (full-face!) helmet with either rating you'll be as protected as you can be.

(Snell may be slightly more protective in high-speed, high-energy collisions while ECE may be slightly more protective in the low-speed impacts that are more common. Real-world data doesn't show any difference.)

The difference you run into, is that not all brands/styles/etc are Snell tested/stamped, especially in ADV helmet genre. My race car helmet (not even full face) is Snell SA2015 because rules, but the likelihood of a helmet helping much with an AW11 autocrossing is, meh.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1UG544/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My motorcycle helmet is and will likely always be ECE.
http://www.klim.com/Krios-Karbon-Adventure-Helmet-ECE-DOT-3510-000?quantity=1&Size=112

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

^^ How does auto stop/start work with a manual?

Auto start/stop is best with a manaul, just like most things automotive. N + Brake only = auto stop. Touch clutch or gas = auto start. This makes it very easy to engage the system when you want it and inhibit it when you don't. The timing also works better as the "engage clutch, shift to first" sequence lets the engine fire back up just in time for you to hit the gas. Unlike in automatics, where the lag is more noticeable because the engine doesn't fire until you take your foot of the brake, requiring you to pause for a second before hitting the gas.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

theroretically, with auto-start/stop on a car with a ~20hp starter/alternator, you could just leave it in first gear and hold the brake until it stalls, then hit the gas to get going again, leaving on electric power until the engine is at a high enough RPM to start firing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Auto start/stop is best with a manaul, just like most things automotive. N + Brake only = auto stop. Touch clutch or gas = auto start. This makes it very easy to engage the system when you want it and inhibit it when you don't. The timing also works better as the "engage clutch, shift to first" sequence lets the engine fire back up just in time for you to hit the gas. Unlike in automatics, where the lag is more noticeable because the engine doesn't fire until you take your foot of the brake, requiring you to pause for a second before hitting the gas.

How do they deal with air conditioning with these systems, go to an electric compressor?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The Locator posted:

How do they deal with air conditioning with these systems, go to an electric compressor?

You have to differentiate between an On/Off AC and a variable compressor AC.

the first ones have a core with a lot of thermal mass so that they regularly go off for half a minute or so during operation without a noticeable shift in temperature. You could do just the same on a variable compressor AC to bridge the time until the engine runs again.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Locator posted:

Nah, the compressor stops when the engine does. On cars with auto climate control, the engine can restart early to run the compressor if there's sufficient cooling demand.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah if it's really hot out my car won't even bother with the auto stop. Same if you have the AC in defrost mode.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hmm.. how does the stop/start work on the newest GMs when the ac is on? I heard the latest Malibus doing the auto start bit in the middle of summer with the windows up. I'm guessing they just cycle the engine back on when the evap temp gets too high? I have no idea if they had auto climate control or not, but I know it gets muggy as gently caress in a hurry in every car I've had with ac if the fan keeps running after the compressor cuts out/engine stalls/etc.

I was impressed how quick they fire up though - it sounds like 1 or 2 rotations. I know GM moved to a 58 tooth CPS trigger across the board around 2007-2008, I assume that helps.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
I had a Sonic with auto-stop as a rental a few years ago. Seemed like more that half the time it didn’t even engage the starter - it just instantly restarted.

I later read that the ECU was set so that it would stop the engine so that two of the cylinders were right after TDC and could restart the motor by firing the appropriate plugs, no starter needed.

I thought it was a neat solution.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Hmm.. how does the stop/start work on the newest GMs when the ac is on? I heard the latest Malibus doing the auto start bit in the middle of summer with the windows up. I'm guessing they just cycle the engine back on when the evap temp gets too high? I have no idea if they had auto climate control or not, but I know it gets muggy as gently caress in a hurry in every car I've had with ac if the fan keeps running after the compressor cuts out/engine stalls/etc.

I was impressed how quick they fire up though - it sounds like 1 or 2 rotations. I know GM moved to a 58 tooth CPS trigger across the board around 2007-2008, I assume that helps.

On my Lacrosse, there are 3 A/C modes - off, Eco, Max

If set to off, autostop will keep the engine off until the battery reserve drops to 12v, then the engine kicks on.
If set to Eco, autostop will keep the engine off until above, or the measured in-cabin temperature or humidity delta hits a certain threshold
If set to Max, above except the delta threshold is significantly less

Max defrost will override autostop, but you have to manually select it (system reverts back to previous climate control setting after you stop the car and exit)

In any mode if you change the gear shift selection or any climate control setting (temperature, fan speed, mode) the engine kicks back on.

I keep mine on Eco, and only on the hottest/most humid days do I even notice. About that time the engine kicks on. It's a pretty slick setup.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
It's not horrible but it's a failure

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

netwerk23 posted:

Yeah, not much else he could do. Get a ticket for no mudflap or run it like is.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

netwerk23 posted:

We had a f550 dump truck at work that was designed poorly. Every time you lifted the bed and drove forward (you know, to get all the poo poo out of the thing) the mudflap would ride up on the tires and then stay there when you drove. If the mudflap was down when it did a regen it would do what's pictured, melt. It must have been a friday at shitspreader factory because that thing was all sorts of awful.

EDIT: also I bet that's a cement mixer in tow, they usually have their chains connected like 3 feet back from the hitch. I have no idea why, but I can only imagine it's a shitshow if they jump off the ball. Every cement mixer I've ever towed has been like that.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 7, 2017

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Unless that state has laws about a tailpipe exiting at the rear of the vehicle/behind the rear axle there's no reason they can't sawzall it right past the muffler and put a downpipe on it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Breakfast Feud posted:

Unless that state has laws about a tailpipe exiting at the rear of the vehicle/behind the rear axle there's no reason they can't sawzall it right past the muffler and put a downpipe on it.

Not a good idea on those, the exhaust gets really hot during regen and the shield around the end helps keep it cool by convectively sucking air around the exhaust pipe or some poo poo. A dump straight down would set grass on fire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chrisgt posted:

Not a good idea on those, the exhaust gets really hot during regen and the shield around the end helps keep it cool by convectively sucking air around the exhaust pipe or some poo poo. A dump straight down would set grass on fire.

I have finally learned what the hell those vents are for.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

They also help introduce oxygen to any flames your exhaust may be throwing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWOD805Rg8c

Newer highway trucks with a catalyzed DPF and SCR don't even need stacks. The exhaust comes out clean and cool enough to just be dumped out the back like a pickup truck. If you drive them hard enough, it can regen passively and you never actually have to run a regen cycle.

First gen DPF trucks had to get the filters up to 1700*F, catalyzed filters only have to get up to about 1200*F, which is a normal EGT if you're really hammering on it. Spray some DEF into it and it's down to 400*F at the end of the pipe.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have stood with GM staff in a GM factory looking at GM exhausts with those GM vents on GM parts rack and none of us has understood what they're for.

Figures I would finally learn it on SA.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
All this time, I thought that was the truck equivalent of the bright, oversized, super manly exhaust exit disguising the actual tiny, wimpy exhaust pipe a la .

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faster Blaster posted:

All this time, I thought that was the truck equivalent of the bright, oversized, super manly exhaust exit disguising the actual tiny, wimpy exhaust pipe a la .

But the GM ones look absolutely terrible.

Like they couldn't spend 20 cents finishing it after shoving it through the stretcher.

Also, more related to horrible mechanical failures. the GM DEF tank location.

If you damage it and lose your fluid, you get limited to 5mph.

Horrible visual failure, for 2017 they added a plastic skid plate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm glad that (passenger) diesel is dead.

Stupid heavy clattery smoky oil-burners.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The truck battle rages on though. The thought that you can get a vehicle with 440hp and 925ft/lbs of torque for $42k is pretty neat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I can see why it might be tough to cleanly hide one of those tanks on a little hatchback but on a god drat massive pickup truck there isn't any excuse

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Not really automotive, but I know a bunch of you have kittens at the site of a tire bubble.

3000 psi hydraulic hose

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

`Nemesis posted:

Not really automotive, but I know a bunch of you have kittens at the site of a tire bubble.

3000 psi hydraulic hose

You found the vulnerable spot, shoot at it to end the level

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Sagebrush posted:

Not in Europe it isn't, not yet anyway. You go on any UK based forum thats quite generalised and theres legions of people who bought a diesel car to run the kids down the road to the school and get the shopping who are now wondering why their DPF is clogged and their car runs like poo poo. When told they really need a petrol car some variation of "but mah MPG!!!1" is the usual response.

While the annual road tax no longer disproportionately favours diesel, the situation is not helped by the likes of BMW who offer up huge deposit contributions on new diesels that aren't available on the equivalent petrols.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The mileage thing is completely bunk with that type of usage - even going by VWs numbers the best diesel Golf does 3.9l/100km and the best petrol 4.8 and given real world short trip usage it's going to be even closer.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

NoWake posted:

You found the vulnerable spot, shoot at it to end the level it all

fixed it :stonklol:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in germany and i just ditched my diesel car because every loving problem i had with it was related to the overly complicated system to get some kind of power out of a diesel engine while trying to keep emissions down. Every loving thing broke and was ridiculously expensive to fix. gently caress that poo poo.
Taxes are way higher here for diesel cars but since the fuel is much cheaper and you get better mileage it makes sense for a lot of people who drive a lot to drive a diesel. Most company cars are diesel for that reason.
But since there are always rumors about banning diesel in cities and making the fuel just as expensive as petrol i just figured i'll gladly pay 200€ a year more for fuel for never having to deal with the loving additive injection system on a DPF again!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Passenger car diesel is only worth having if you're going to do loads of long journeys and really need the higher mpg.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Passenger car diesel is only worth making if you cheat like a motherfucker.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
That and the efficiency gap between diesel and gas is pretty drat small these days.

Even with the latest emissions standards you can't escape the fact that in terms of CO2, diesel produces more CO2 per gallon. A gas car getting 40mpg emits about the same amount of CO2 as a diesel getting 50mpg.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

You're a monster

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That and the efficiency gap between diesel and gas is pretty drat small these days.

Even with the latest emissions standards you can't escape the fact that in terms of CO2, diesel produces more CO2 per gallon. A gas car getting 40mpg emits about the same amount of CO2 as a diesel getting 50mpg.

Uhhhh...read that statement and try again. Your not wrong, but that math aint adding up.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 7, 2017

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Granted I shouldn't have been posting at 6AM but standard E10 gasoline produces 17.6 pounds of CO2 per gallon and diesel is up at 22.4.

With gasoline at 40 MPG you'd be emitting 0.44 lbs of CO2 per mile, a diesel would emit 0.56 lbs per mile at the same MPG. Diesel gets down to 0.44 lbs per mile at 51 MPG.

E: Whoops, E10 is actually 18.9lbs so it's more like 40 mpg gasoline is the same as 48.7 mpg diesel.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 7, 2017

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Not in Europe it isn't, not yet anyway. You go on any UK based forum thats quite generalised and theres legions of people who bought a diesel car to run the kids down the road to the school and get the shopping who are now wondering why their DPF is clogged and their car runs like poo poo. When told they really need a petrol car some variation of "but mah MPG!!!1" is the usual response.

While the annual road tax no longer disproportionately favours diesel, the situation is not helped by the likes of BMW who offer up huge deposit contributions on new diesels that aren't available on the equivalent petrols.

... or they do DPF deletes and pollute their communities because "mahh powaah!!!1". Calling them out on it usually gets you flamed hard / banned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrOnBicycle posted:

... or they do DPF deletes and pollute their communities because "mahh powaah!!!1". Calling them out on it usually gets you flamed hard / banned.

While searching for what "dpf" is, I typed "diesel dpf" into google and it auto-suggested "diesel dpf delete."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

`Nemesis posted:

3000 psi hydraulic hose

Good work, hose designers. That's some impressive work.

You drive over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

`Nemesis posted:

3000 psi hydraulic hose

We build hydraulic hoses and systems in my shop and the "fixes" we see people doing to their hoses can be outright horrifying. Like gear clamps (the kind of thing you'd see on your heater hose on your car) on high pressure hoses, or splicing in poo poo with barbs is just :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good work, hose designers. That's some impressive work.

You drive over it?
That looks like just a 1 or 2 wire spaghetti hose. It's probably off shore and had a very, very hard life. Sadly that stuff is becoming a commodity now and people or OEMs don't see the benefit to spending $.50 per ft for a high end 1/4" hose when they can spend .25 for the same thing :haw:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 7, 2017