Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain Oblivious posted:

How are people building Orion, generally? The ranged unit red line buffs are attractive but some of the best parts require him to be close to the archers himself. He seems like more of a bruiser/LL hunter kille so I’m not sure how practical that is.

Get route marcher and then go down the red melee line. The buffs in the melee line apply to every single unit in the army, including the lord him/herself and embedded heroes. +8MAT/MDEF across the board for essentially 4 points gets your Eternal guard to be quite killy immovable objects, your Wardancers and Wildwood Rangers and Wild Riders become hellish combatants, and even glade riders and hawk riders become brutal melee combatants. Hell, even your archers will will wind up being passably good melee combatants once they've shot all their arrows off. Don't expect them to hold a line but they'd excel in getting flanking/rear attacks.

The ranged red line is fine for Orion/Druthu since they don't really have to choose between one or the other, but your Glade Lords deffo want to 100% be committed to the red melee tree because if you dedicate ranged, once your archers shoot themselves dry they are basically wasted space, even with the extra damage/ammo cap, whereas there's no scenario where your melee guys will stop being melee guys (exception being if they are corpses, which the melee red line also helps prevent). I would honestly recommend going down the yellow line before going too deep into ranged red. IIRC Orion is a large unit, he has absurdly high melee attack, frenzy, and he knocks down most un-mounted units on hit. He will tear through most unmounted lords and has the bound spells to deal with big clumps of infantry. Expect him and your Wild Riders to get the lions share of your kills especially early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Calling it now-

Pontus: Total War

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In TW1 as Norsca is it feasible to just build an entire army out of anti-large spearmen and beeline for that dragon hunt for the unit, item and big cash injection? It feels like it might be possible, I got him to about half health with regular Marauders/Marauder Berserkers, and it's entire force is trolls and dragons.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Scandalous posted:

Two stacks, one of of 20 Longbeards, Quarrelers, and assorted artillery plus heroes, and a home guard army of 15, mostly Dwarf Warriors and Quarrelers with two artillery pieces. My strength rank according to the diplomacy screen flips between 1 & 2.

More stacks. Can be any old pish but more stacks needed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pierson posted:

In TW1 as Norsca is it feasible to just build an entire army out of anti-large spearmen and beeline for that dragon hunt for the unit, item and big cash injection? It feels like it might be possible, I got him to about half health with regular Marauders/Marauder Berserkers, and it's entire force is trolls and dragons.

More Javelin throwers are probably your answer.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
The all diplomacy actions mod is pretty fun (although it does make difficulty effectively one level lower, especially on legendary).

This mod basically allows you to utilize all diplomatic options (other then confederate on people who are a different race).
For example, as Mazdamundi I made a vasall out of Sildra Tor (attack their last province and subjugate them) and they now are my little funny buffer.
Even more hilarious is the fun one can have by force vasallasing a rouge army that got a settlement (bonus points if you do so without destroying their army).

Of course, there are problems as well. Tyrion, who has a NAP with me just declared war on my pet Dark Elfs, and I plan to liberate all the initial Elfen factions for the fun of it.

It makes things easier because you can, with this mod:
-Create buffers
-Make use of the AIs money and public order cheats on high difficulties
-Shunt of unprofitable lands to your vasalls thus gaming the chaos spawn timing.

It roughly triples your number of team fights which is pretty cool though.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Zalakwe posted:

More stacks. Can be any old pish but more stacks needed.

Cheers babes I'll try it

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

jokes posted:

Dwarfs are always lame to fight. Even with armor piercing everything they’re a boring slog to fight.

Dwarves are amazing to fight as Skaven. Since it's so much slow infantry that often times bunches up you can get them to surround and maul a couple clan rats/skavenslaves while you dump everything on top of your own guys heads (artillery, plague spell, warp fire, death globes). It's glorious to watch.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fewd posted:

This looks good. Dwarf autoresolve is just flat out broken and their economy too strong, it'll be nice to see other end-game factions for a change.

I just finished my Dark Elf short campaign and seeing as Dwarves once again owned half the map at that point I noped the hell out of long campaign.

This! I'm on turn 270 of a long rear end ME campaign as Vlad-dad, and the dwarves have been a relentless scourge the whole time, I saw orcs maybe once when they were fleeing north towards Kislev around turn 100 as Chaos ramped up. I am closing in on their last settlement now in the mountains down at the very southern tip of the Eastern continent. I had just confederated the vamps down there and saw they had 2 settlements, I brought an agent over and saw out of those 2 settlements, they were supporting 3 full stacks full of RoR and heroes, and top tier units. They are broken as poo poo. I then raised up a couple of decent armies and stomped their beardy dirt dwelling poo poo in.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

LordSloth posted:

For some reason, I couldn't get anything at all out of that Rome 2 trailer other than a completely silent title screen. Therefore, I can only conclude Skaven are coming to Rome 2, followed by the wood elves arriving in Shogun 2.

I would unironically love this.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah like being honest, if I could fight the various factions of TWW as Rome I'd be 100% down.

Especially if it's just "Tilea has been mysteriously replaced by the Hastati/Republic era Rome."

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Total War: The Second Rome, about the eastern empire surviving through the middle ages.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

Total War: The Second Rome, about the eastern empire surviving through the middle ages.

Instead of the Chaos invasion you gotta hold off several waves of Islam and once you thought you had everything under control, the Catholics invade from the west. Then clan pestilence makes a cameo.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
If Morathi was dead when I confederated the cult of pleasure is she dead forever?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I definitely feel like having a surprise invasion of Skaven would spice up the historical games.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A few idea on how to fix dorfs:

-Make them have to deal with grudges, and prioritize resolving grudges This includes those super-awful "kill the level xx hero". Dwarf AI also will not make peace with a faction while a grudge is in the Book, even if it's to their advantage.
-Have special events that certain choices add a grudge with a random faction. This happens for NPCs as well.
-Any occurrence of diplomacy malus between dwarves sets off a grudge. A dawi ought to know better!
-Every dwarf faction starts with a random grudge against a faction they start in contact with (Angrund can be an exception, since they're working on K8P).

These changes may have to be balanced with making grudge penalties less penalizing, the net effect would be to stop the dwarfs from consolidating as certainlty.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You don't really have to make elaborate changes. The better AI mod for the first game only really gave the AI greenskins a bit more passive fightiness and that was enough to make the badlands area a lot more competitive.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Make the AI Dwarfs less aggressive and make their autoresolve sane again. That's all you need.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I definitely feel like having a surprise invasion of Skaven would spice up the historical games.

Instead of Realm Divide in Shogun II you get RATS. I'd buy the hell out of that game.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Medieval: Total Dwarves

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Pendent posted:

Instead of Realm Divide in Shogun II you get RATS. I'd buy the hell out of that game.

Shogun II has those cinematics for agent actions... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Isabella with an army of nothing but fully upgraded bats, vargheists and some level 10+ vampires is hilarious.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Reskin Lizardmen as the Romans (because of the javelin skirmishers) with weird changes like turning the giant dinos into various kinds of elephants, make all of the LLs some flavor of Pontus.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

even with me's current problems (bearded tide, norsca/foundation updates) it's pretty drat fun imo, especially with a fine tuned set of mods to address its shortcomings. Mostly I really wish CA would allow armies to teleport across fully controlled provinces or something. Make it an expensive calculation based off army upkeep and distance traveled or something, or limit it to tier IV+ settlements.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rookersh posted:

Yeah like being honest, if I could fight the various factions of TWW as Rome I'd be 100% down.

Especially if it's just "Tilea has been mysteriously replaced by the Hastati/Republic era Rome."

The Lizardman infantry/cavalry game plays a lot like Rome did in RTW2; it's speedy, lightly armored javelin skirmishers screening an army core of absolutely murderous heavy infantry who slowly grind basically every other infantry in the game to dust. Even the cavalry functions pretty similarly to how you would use equites or cav auxiliaries(solely as support to protect your murder blob, rather than as the main punch of your force). It only really starts to deviate massively when you get to the dinos.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kanos posted:

The Lizardman infantry/cavalry game plays a lot like Rome did in RTW2; it's speedy, lightly armored javelin skirmishers screening an army core of absolutely murderous heavy infantry who slowly grind basically every other infantry in the game to dust. Even the cavalry functions pretty similarly to how you would use equites or cav auxiliaries(solely as support to protect your murder blob, rather than as the main punch of your force). It only really starts to deviate massively when you get to the dinos.

This is how Rome always plays in most RTS games. :thunk:

Temple guard seem hilariously cost ineffective, especially since saurs warriors do so much damage that they don't really seem to need armor piercing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Klaus88 posted:

Temple guard seem hilariously cost ineffective, especially since saurs warriors do so much damage that they don't really seem to need armor piercing.

Temple guard are useful when you need to go toe to toe with elite forces or truly insane number of enemy units. I had one siege battle where a unit of temple guard held a portion of a wall for about 17 minutes of fighting a seemingly never ending tide of skaven and somehow at the end of the battle the unit was still alive.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Saurus in the front, temple guard in the back imo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Saurus in the streets, temple guard between the sheets.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the vortex campaign is the number of siege battles I have been able to do as the defending force. Watching multiple stacks of enemies crash against your walls in battles that you know you should win but even till the very end are still ready for it to all fall apart make for some of the best moments I have ever had in a Total War game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So even if we don't need to make the AI dwarf fix over-complicated, I still feel that the Grudge mechanic needs to be spiced up. As it stands the player has no reason to not keep the meter as low as possible, and I feel that it would be more interesting to get your faction to a preferred level of grudginess like with Skaven corruption. Balance the unrest penalties with army bonuses that apply both generally and especially in situations that can resolve the grudge (when attacking the target army or settlement). In addition, each LL has a unique way of interacting with grudges, giving a preferred Grudge level based on which one you pick:

-Thorgim should want to keep the book as clear as possible, in part because having a lot of grudges weighs The Book down and makes him slower in battle. To allow him to do this Thorgrim has the ability to manage grudges. While he can never just erase one without resolving it, he can create new ones and transfer grudge impatience between two difference grudges.

-Ungrim can use grudges to instant-recruit special Slayer units (this may work better as a battle summon). The number you can have is based on your grudge level, and losing them in battle increases the impatience for all the grudges. So Ungrim wants to have a low simmer of grudges, but needs to be careful about them spiraling out of control.

-Belegar of course starts with the Eight Peaks Grudge, but he has the option of deferring new grudges until after K8P is taken. This puts pressure on that grudge, and when you defer a grudge that means you actually have to ignore it for the time being, or else you take a leadership hits because everyone wonders what the gently caress you are doing. When you re-take K8P, you get a 10-turn Grudge Honeymoon, where you have a chance to resolve all the deferred grudges before they come back in full force.

-Grombrindal starts with a randomly determined grudge against a major faction. The higher the grudge meter, the stronger Grom as a unit gets. At max meter, Grom is like Vlad and Kroq-Gar roled into one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Klaus88 posted:

Temple Guard aren't massively more costly than Saurus(a temple guard unit costs 1.5x as much as a saurus unit) and have a fair number of benefits. They have dramatically superior AP(which does matter against the truly heavily armored units), they are braver and more heavily armored, and they don't rampage so they'll stay where you want them to stay. With their anti-large bonus, they're pretty much a flat upgrade to saurus spears and serve the same purpose that saurus spears do(a couple units at most holding your flanks against cav or waiting behind your frontline to be committed against monstrous infantry/monsters).

Unless you're Mazdamundi, in which case they instantly replace your line saurus in his stack the moment they become available because he maintains them so cheaply. In the campaign it's also ludicrously easy for Mazdamundi to recruit rank 9 temple guard out of the box due to his immediate access to a gold mine and the fallen gates.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Why did they gut the westernmost part of the map so hard if they're leaving the east virtually unchanged? It's pretty poo poo. I like the distance compression, even if it makes Tiranoc a huge pain, but going from empire or dwarf starts that are same as ever to whatever horseshit mazda and malekith have to put up with is pretty jarring.

Scourge of Khaine was already at war with a bunch of helves, we were at +1 relations and they just randomly declared on me. Never did anything, and now that I've spent the last 8 turns murdering high elves they want to be friends again. The AI is just :psyduck:

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

So even if we don't need to make the AI dwarf fix over-complicated, I still feel that the Grudge mechanic needs to be spiced up. As it stands the player has no reason to not keep the meter as low as possible, and I feel that it would be more interesting to get your faction to a preferred level of grudginess like with Skaven corruption. Balance the unrest penalties with army bonuses that apply both generally and especially in situations that can resolve the grudge (when attacking the target army or settlement). In addition, each LL has a unique way of interacting with grudges, giving a preferred Grudge level based on which one you pick:

-Thorgim should want to keep the book as clear as possible, in part because having a lot of grudges weighs The Book down and makes him slower in battle. To allow him to do this Thorgrim has the ability to manage grudges. While he can never just erase one without resolving it, he can create new ones and transfer grudge impatience between two difference grudges.

-Ungrim can use grudges to instant-recruit special Slayer units (this may work better as a battle summon). The number you can have is based on your grudge level, and losing them in battle increases the impatience for all the grudges. So Ungrim wants to have a low simmer of grudges, but needs to be careful about them spiraling out of control.

-Belegar of course starts with the Eight Peaks Grudge, but he has the option of deferring new grudges until after K8P is taken. This puts pressure on that grudge, and when you defer a grudge that means you actually have to ignore it for the time being, or else you take a leadership hits because everyone wonders what the gently caress you are doing. When you re-take K8P, you get a 10-turn Grudge Honeymoon, where you have a chance to resolve all the deferred grudges before they come back in full force.

-Grombrindal starts with a randomly determined grudge against a major faction. The higher the grudge meter, the stronger Grom as a unit gets. At max meter, Grom is like Vlad and Kroq-Gar roled into one.

This is beautiful. I love the idea of different Legendary Lords dealing with grudges differently.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kanos posted:

Temple Guard aren't massively more costly than Saurus(a temple guard unit costs 1.5x as much as a saurus unit) and have a fair number of benefits. They have dramatically superior AP(which does matter against the truly heavily armored units), they are braver and more heavily armored, and they don't rampage so they'll stay where you want them to stay. With their anti-large bonus, they're pretty much a flat upgrade to saurus spears and serve the same purpose that saurus spears do(a couple units at most holding your flanks against cav or waiting behind your frontline to be committed against monstrous infantry/monsters).

Unless you're Mazdamundi, in which case they instantly replace your line saurus in his stack the moment they become available because he maintains them so cheaply. In the campaign it's also ludicrously easy for Mazdamundi to recruit rank 9 temple guard out of the box due to his immediate access to a gold mine and the fallen gates.

I think I should have added "replace Saurus spears with temple guard in Krog-gar's personal murder tour of not-Africa" stack.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

SirPhoebos posted:

the point of grudges is that they will always be dumb bullshit because dwarves hold grudges over the dumbest most bullshit of things

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NeurosisHead posted:

the point of grudges is that they will always be dumb bullshit because dwarves hold grudges over the dumbest most bullshit of things

That's a grudgin'

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
You guys weren't kidding when you said Teclis' ME start sucks. I tried bypassing the Vampire's corruption-infested shithole provinces by going after the Skaven instead. Turns out that the Headhunter's Jungle also has corruption to deal with, it's just Skaven flavored instead. Also doesn't help his expansion options are so limited by his terrain preferences. Are there any good tips for starting off with Teclis?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there anything stopping Teclis from just fortifying his capital and packing up and sailing over to uthulan and knocking out some of the more assholish highelves on the island?

Maybe even setting up shop on the darkelf coast where some unique buildings might be at.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

You guys weren't kidding when you said Teclis' ME start sucks. I tried bypassing the Vampire's corruption-infested shithole provinces by going after the Skaven instead. Turns out that the Headhunter's Jungle also has corruption to deal with, it's just Skaven flavored instead. Also doesn't help his expansion options are so limited by his terrain preferences. Are there any good tips for starting off with Teclis?

Start as Tyrion instead and shower your brother in Influence and cash money until he comes home.

Seriously, Teclis' start is the absolute pits. I've just spent about 40~ turns running back and forth putting down rebellions while Clan Eshin and one of the Lizardmen factions nearby nibble my most isolated settlements until Teclis sprints over to drop Phoenixes all over them.

And then the game crashed and I felt free.

All seriousness, abandoning Lustria and smashing the poo poo out of one of the weaker Southlands or Ulthwan factions might be a better ME start for Nerd Elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Start as Tyrion instead and shower your brother in Influence and cash money until he comes home.

Seriously, Teclis' start is the absolute pits. I've just spent about 40~ turns running back and forth putting down rebellions while Clan Eshin and one of the Lizardmen factions nearby nibble my most isolated settlements until Teclis sprints over to drop Phoenixes all over them.

And then the game crashed and I felt free.

All seriousness, abandoning Lustria and smashing the poo poo out of one of the weaker Southlands or Ulthwan factions might be a better ME start for Nerd Elf.

Southlands just seems like its asking for you to eat the lizard steamroller once Krog-gar gets his poo poo together.