Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Alright, I'll give it a try with my group, but if they feel like it's too orderly and too easy to complete missions, we'll go back to doing it the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

silvergoose posted:

Hell, half the time when they are; "geordi where are you, the reactor's melting down" "ummmm I'm in the holodeck falling in love with someone" "DAMMIT GEORDI"

Picard keeps the peace with his stash of dirt he recorded from everyone's "private" holodeck sessions

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Alright, I'll give it a try with my group, but if they feel like it's too orderly and too easy to complete missions, we'll go back to doing it the right way.

Or you could up the difficulty.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mechanistically, the fact that in Space Alert in the real time part of it, you are using the board but potentially aren't tracking the exact board state is extremely interesting to me. Usually in board games, the board state (barring any actual rule mistake) is always 100% correct. The fact that in Space Alert you can have a board state that doesn't correctly reflect the actual board state and the game is fully capable of handling this (and indeed, becomes more enjoyable) is what really makes the game stand out.

Also, even if you are tracking stuff on the board, you don't have to do the lockstep method. I use the board during the real time segment, but I still never play like "Okay, what is everyone doing on minute 1, okay, you are here, you are here, you press this button, this removes one energy, alright, onto time step 2". There isn't much difference in difficulty between not tracking anything, and tracking stuff in a non-lockstep way. Lockstep Space Alert can be easier, but it's more boring and removes the alpha-gamer-removing parts that make the design so fun.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Also, even if you are tracking stuff on the board, you don't have to do the lockstep method. I use the board during the real time segment, but I still never play like "Okay, what is everyone doing on minute 1, okay, you are here, you are here, you press this button, this removes one energy, alright, onto time step 2". There isn't much difference in difficulty between not tracking anything, and tracking stuff in a non-lockstep way. Lockstep Space Alert can be easier, but it's more boring and removes the alpha-gamer-removing parts that make the design so fun.

I think this nails it - I really like the middle-ground, where you're using the board, but everyone is still kind of running their own actions - meaning you are doing a lot of awkward communication, a little collision, and a bunch of guessing.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's often better to form subgroups to handle threats than to do stuff in lockstep anyways, since you often end up having to rewind actions when new threats gets announced. As long as people make sure that they sync on the major stuff (mainly energy and elevators, and certain types of threats if they pop up), then it typically works out ok.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Chill la Chill posted:

You have my blessing to play your games in whatever way you find fun, no matter what the thread says.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BGB Preorder Price for Gaia Project is CA$ 106.25

:eyepoop:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

taser rates posted:

Or you could up the difficulty.
I don’t think I’ve ever actually made a distinction between the different colors so we’ve been playing mixed difficulty for a long time.

Fat Samurai posted:

You have my blessing to play your games in whatever way you find fun, no matter what the thread says.
Thanks friend.

CommonShore posted:

BGB Preorder Price for Gaia Project is CA$ 106.25

:eyepoop:

:peanut:

quote:

There isn't much difference in difficulty between not tracking anything, and tracking stuff in a non-lockstep way. Lockstep Space Alert can be easier, but it's more boring and removes the alpha-gamer-removing parts that make the design so fun.
“Lockstep” space Alert should only be reserved for captain sonar is what I’m saying

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey there Board Game Thread, I am going to be playing "Bloodrage" with some friends this coming weekend. I have never played it before but one of my friends has played it excessively; I love to beat said friend at boardgames. Therefore, does anyone have any advice or a link to a good write up on the game? I dont want to spend hours watching LPs of it or anything, but maybe just reading common strong strategies and/or trying to gain some card knowledge beforehand. Can anyone help me out?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hey there Board Game Thread, I am going to be playing "Bloodrage" with some friends this coming weekend. I have never played it before but one of my friends has played it excessively; I love to beat said friend at boardgames. Therefore, does anyone have any advice or a link to a good write up on the game? I dont want to spend hours watching LPs of it or anything, but maybe just reading common strong strategies and/or trying to gain some card knowledge beforehand. Can anyone help me out?

Each god is pretty much tied to its own strategy that should be pretty immediately obvious, but the one to watch out for is Loki. If someone drafts all the Loki cards, they will basically be playing a different game with its own victory track that can be really difficult to stop since they win by losing (and also win by winning?). The really dangerous one is the one that nets Loki points for each dude released from Valhalla, especially since there are also quests that require the same goal. Also just be aware that there are combat cards that can be played after other cards are played, so they can be a nasty surprise. Really, all the ones that do something besides having a number are nasty surprises, so ask to read through the cards beforehand if you can.

Other than that, it's pretty standard area control strategy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
:siren: For those of you about to play Gloomhaven to help you not gently caress up like my group did :siren:

The cards in your character box are NOT your modifier attack deck, they are merely the UPGRADE cards for your attack modifier deck and aren't used until you gain perks or levels

We played like three scenarios using only the upgrade cards and it was so hosed up I accused another player of cheating on their experience points

Jesus Christ Gloomhaven could use a more clear "Do this poo poo when you start" guide. We even watched 30 minutes of videos before we started.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I used some "For/Before your first game" printed out from BGG and it was a really good idea, it helped make me feel confident I wasn't missing anything.

I can't say I encountered or had a near miss with that particular fuckup, though.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I don't know blood rage, but for quoestions like that the BGG forums for the specific game are often your best bet.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Sinewave posted:

I used some "For/Before your first game" printed out from BGG and it was a really good idea, it helped make me feel confident I wasn't missing anything.

I can't say I encountered or had a near miss with that particular fuckup, though.

Do you have a link to that?

So jealous of the people who got their gloomhaven in the US today. gently caress you all!

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 6, 2017

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Do you have a link to that?

So jealous of the people who got their gloomhaven in the US today. gently caress you all!
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143354/first-game-setup-guide

I'm honestly surprised Isaac didn't crib this for the 2nd edition.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
God damnit my fuckup is in bold on that PDF. Guess it must be at least semi-common.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Aghama posted:

thanks!

also for anyone itching for gloomhaven, I didn't get a shipping email, but I signed up for the ups my choice service and it just notified me mine is coming tomorrow.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gort posted:

God damnit my fuckup is in bold on that PDF. Guess it must be at least semi-common.

Yeah tons of people do it. Needs to be in the manual

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The naval traffic thing says the ship carrying Gloomhaven for Aus and NZ is due in Sydney November 16th. Its still close to Shanghai.

Fake edit: those naval pages look like a fun game, especially the super busy shipping lanes.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I can't wait to get my copy. My backer rewards for dark souls... A little less so.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Aghama posted:

I actually found this one more useful but I don't remember why: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143752/gloomhaven-extended-setup-guide

They do both contain the same basic info though.

e: The FAQ on BGG by Isaac is ridiculously well curated and complete.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 6, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

retailers that did preorders for GH better freaking get them soon.... TIRED OF WAITING

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

I can't wait to get my copy. My backer rewards for dark souls... A little less so.

I saw a girl in a LGS get Dark Souls the other day for $170AUD. That's about $130 US. I'd never seen buyers regret hit someones face so fast. She bought it but lost the spring in her step. I hear its an OK game and I really hope she winds up enjoying it. Its extremely pricey though at retail here.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's not an okay game. It's grindy as gently caress, and any enjoyment quickly wears out half an hour into a 5-hour long game. There's house rules to speed it up, but the fact that the best way to fix the game is to play less of it isn't a good sign for the enjoyment factor.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
People in the US are getting their copies of GH, I'm in the UK and only just got my shipping notification :saddowns:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

GrandpaPants posted:

Each god is pretty much tied to its own strategy that should be pretty immediately obvious, but the one to watch out for is Loki. If someone drafts all the Loki cards, they will basically be playing a different game with its own victory track that can be really difficult to stop since they win by losing (and also win by winning?). The really dangerous one is the one that nets Loki points for each dude released from Valhalla, especially since there are also quests that require the same goal. Also just be aware that there are combat cards that can be played after other cards are played, so they can be a nasty surprise. Really, all the ones that do something besides having a number are nasty surprises, so ask to read through the cards beforehand if you can.

Other than that, it's pretty standard area control strategy.

Yeah, so when we played it, I was the only one going for the Loki stuff and I lapped everyone on the score track. They only realised what I was doing at the end of the second round, because that's when it all started triggering, and then they couldn't really stop me doing it all again in the third round, so I think it's something you really have to be aware of. I know that another of my friends won that way too on his first go. I strongly suspect there's some kind of rock paper scissors thing going on, but no one is going for the foil to the Loki plan in these games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MikeCrotch posted:

People in the US are getting their copies of GH, I'm in the UK and only just got my shipping notification :saddowns:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the US and I haven't gotten my shipping notification yet.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

rydiafan posted:

It's not an okay game. It's grindy as gently caress, and any enjoyment quickly wears out half an hour into a 5-hour long game. There's house rules to speed it up, but the fact that the best way to fix the game is to play less of it isn't a good sign for the enjoyment factor.

That bad huh? Sister franchise game Bloodborne also seems to have fallen flat. They're such skill based video games, I never saw how they could translate over at all into board games. Unlike X-com or Space Empires the format just has no way to translate.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sleekly posted:

That bad huh? Sister franchise game Bloodborne also seems to have fallen flat. They're such skill based video games, I never saw how they could translate over at all into board games. Unlike X-com or Space Empires the format just has no way to translate.

I think Yomi and, ugh... "Indines" prove that you can bring skill-based video games to the table with clever design.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Sleekly posted:

I mean you can see the makings of decent game within Dark Souls, the combined stamina/health track is clever, and the bit about learning boss patterns by figuring out the order of it's cards is good. The problem is that the cool 20 minute boss fights are buried under a gross 5-hour long progression system that's just a giant pile of terrible mechanics.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think Yomi and, ugh... "Indines" prove that you can bring skill-based video games to the table with clever design.

I'm interested in Yomi, but already have the game with the terrible name. How similar are they?

Ojetor posted:

I mean you can see the makings of decent game within Dark Souls, the combined stamina/health track is clever, and the bit about learning boss patterns by figuring out the order of it's cards is good. The problem is that the cool 20 minute boss fights are buried under a gross 5-hour long progression system that's just a giant pile of terrible mechanics.

The boss pattern thing is cool. Do the bosses do the same things in the same order each time or mix it up depending on where a player is repative to it? Like the proper version, boss rush mode would be a lot of fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yomi and BattleCON share a primary mechanic - simultaneous action resolution - but don't actually play that similarly in practice. I used to write a lot of words comparing the two when BattleCON was new and that question popped up a lot, but it hasn't really been relevant for a while. Here's a link to a pastebin where I wrote a big thing on why I like Yomi. I've actually warmed up to BattleCON more since I wrote that years ago but my general opinions are still pretty similar.

Also Yomi is available online on Steam and the Fantasy Strike site so if you want to try it out you can do it there rather than going in on the irl thing immediately.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Yomi and BattleCON share a primary mechanic - simultaneous action resolution - but don't actually play that similarly in practice. I used to write a lot of words comparing the two when BattleCON was new and that question popped up a lot, but it hasn't really been relevant for a while. Here's a link to a pastebin where I wrote a big thing on why I like Yomi. I've actually warmed up to BattleCON more since I wrote that years ago but my general opinions are still pretty similar.

Also Yomi is available online on Steam and the Fantasy Strike site so if you want to try it out you can do it there rather than going in on the irl thing immediately.

Thank you for the link and Steam tip. Gonna check them both out :)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dark souls is okay at best. A few of my friends really enjoy it, but definitely not for the initial hour of 'grinding' weak throwaway monsters. The problem with a boss rush mode is that it's not balanced for something like that and ends up either too easy or too hard extremely quickly. And if you accidentally underpowered your team, the boss just creams you.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Still nothing for me in Germany either...

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Countblanc posted:

Browser-Yomi has been offline for like a year. Now it's Steam or nothing.

Also, BattleCON Online just started its Open Alpha last week, so that's coming along.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bar bugs (but I mean, it's a beta) BaCon online is pretty good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hopper posted:

Still nothing for me in Germany either...

I'm just jealous because my mate got his copy like 2 weeks ago and I didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tekopo posted:

Bar bugs (but I mean, it's a beta) BaCon online is pretty good.

Baconline sounds delicious.