Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

Don't just install every rom at once (you need a higher autism level for this to be fun), make a curated collection at first and enjoy that stuff. treat it like buying games and building a collection only you're putting them on your piracy thing. use youtube longplays and emulation to make your "purchasing" decisions, and find out what companies or teams developed games you liked on other systems and research what they did on your new system as a jumping off point

This is what I've done with Everdrives. I first add some of the games I know that are good, then just go adding individual ones based on recommendations. I'd imagine loading a full romset might be a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for that PCE list though, there's some games I haven't tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

TeaJay posted:

This is what I've done with Everdrives. I first add some of the games I know that are good, then just go adding individual ones based on recommendations. I'd imagine loading a full romset might be a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for that PCE list though, there's some games I haven't tried.

My approach is quite opposite. I load them all and then spend my idle evenings picking random games and seeing what they are. Naturally, I put the ones that really impressed me into a favorites folder to be enjoyed with a more focused approach and eventually buying the real deal, but I do enjoy going through a system's library and seeing what it had to offer. I find it fun and relaxing.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
There are also the smokemonster sets that include everything but also have folders of selected games, sorted by genre or as a Top 100.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Is flat-screen CRTs bad for this business or should I go ahead a get a flat-screen Wega Trinitron? Someone told me "the geometry is hosed and it's hard to adjust properly" but for gently caress's sake probably still better than my blurry curved Philco CRT.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Negrostrike posted:

Is flat-screen CRTs bad for this business or should I go ahead a get a flat-screen Wega Trinitron? Someone told me "the geometry is hosed and it's hard to adjust properly" but for gently caress's sake probably still better than my blurry curved Philco CRT.

I’ve never found a wega without distractingly bad geometry or corner convergence issues. Happier with my 1997 JVC D-Series. But they are all so cheap just get one and see if you like it.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Negrostrike posted:

Lightguns CAN have trouble with flatscreen CRTs, at least according to most manuals. Worked fine for me most of the time tho, except on sets that were also 120/100hz which was a thing at the same point in time on highend crts i think so watch out for that when youre getting one

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It seems like someone in this thread at some point said the best time to get an SD2SNES was Black Friday. Or did I imagine that?

Also are there any decent aftermarket extension cables for the SNES, or should I try to get ahold of the original ones?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

It seems like someone in this thread at some point said the best time to get an SD2SNES was Black Friday. Or did I imagine that?

Yeah krikzz discounts them as do SAG and other vendors.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Also they almost never go on sale any other time. It's pretty much your only chance for a good deal.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Casimir Radon posted:

How long before someone starts a cottage industry that builds CRTs?

there will be a kickstarter for this

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

financially racist posted:

there will be a kickstarter for this

Shipping will only be $85! What a deal!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Also are there any decent aftermarket extension cables for the SNES, or should I try to get ahold of the original ones?

I have the tomee 6ft ones and they're fine.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Casimir Radon posted:

I've always had good luck with products from this guy, he's helped me figure out some stuff via email too and generally seems friendly and whatnot.

https://console5.com/store/nes-6-ft-extension-cable-tomee-1.html

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

It's going to be way better than what you have now. I've had the same 27" Wega since 1998 and it's been fine with no severe geometry problems (there will always be some with these TVs, but the picture quality makes it worth it)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

So I went to play some Mario Sunshine earlier today, only to find that my Gamecube was floating in a puddle of unknown sour-smelling blue liquid. The system still works, but the eject button is stuck and one of the memory cards seems to be sealed in by ectoplasm.

I'm assuming the system is done for, but does anyone have any idea what the hell the liquid could be? Maybe something battery related? Should I be worried that I've been sleeping (for who knows how long) in the same room as a pool of noxious Nintendo Juice?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sounds like you waited too long to play Sunshine and got gooped by Shadow Mario

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

WrathOfBlade posted:

So I went to play some Mario Sunshine earlier today, only to find that my Gamecube was floating in a puddle of unknown sour-smelling blue liquid. The system still works, but the eject button is stuck and one of the memory cards seems to be sealed in by ectoplasm.

I'm assuming the system is done for, but does anyone have any idea what the hell the liquid could be? Maybe something battery related? Should I be worried that I've been sleeping (for who knows how long) in the same room as a pool of noxious Nintendo Juice?

can you take pictures

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That goop is what powers the gamecube. RIP

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Is there some sort of capacitor that can leak? I can't imagine there would be one large enough to make a puddle though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Is it maybe something that dripped on the GameCube? A PS2 I once had in storage was covered in sticky orange goo, but it was just some goo dripping from a box above it and it worked fine once I cleaned it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Neo Rasa posted:

One thing I will say for Gradius II is it's one of those ports that surpasses the arcade version, besides the awesome CD soundtrack it has an entire extra level. So if you do dig Gradius it's a must own. There's a very good Salamander port available also.

A couple details about PCE Gradius 1 & 2:
Gradius 1 is quite nice in the video/audio department, but there is a ton of slowdown. Like, it's unplayable (for me) with more than two options. I always overclock the emulator when playing it, but flash cart users have no such solution.
Gradius 2 soundtrack is merely a rip of the arcade FM+PCM audio. It's nice but if you're expecting full Falcom-style rockband arrangements, you will be disappointed.
Both games have bonus levels, and they are cool.

I also recommend Salamander. There is far less slowdown than in Gradius 1 (although it's still there in some places) and improves on the arcade original in several aspects. There are also ports of Detana Twinbee and Parodius Da, but I'm not as familiar with those.

d0s posted:

this might be stupid childhood memories but I kinda remember way back in the mid-late 80's stereo was seen as something you primarily benefited from with headphones, like "wow it's in stereo gotta get some headphones for the correct experience". like the Game Boy having "stereo sound" printed on the cover but a single mono speaker

Can confirm Belmont's Revenge was goddamn amazing with headphones.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

d0s posted:

can you take pictures
I sopped up the puddle pretty much immediately but I did have the presence of mind to take a picture of the sticky, corroded underside (+ bonus neon-blue paper towel soaked with Nintendoplasm)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

WrathOfBlade posted:

I sopped up the puddle pretty much immediately but I did have the presence of mind to take a picture of the sticky, corroded underside (+ bonus neon-blue paper towel soaked with Nintendoplasm)

whatever that is it did not come from the gamecube

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe you're a smurf and you peed on it in your sleep.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WrathOfBlade posted:

I know what's happened here; The runed chalice holding the tortured fetus at the heart of your Gamecube has cracked or shattered, spilling its life-maintaining neoplasma and allowing the poor damned soul to escape its damned existence through the peaceful bliss of oblivion.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

falz posted:

I've always had good luck with products from this guy, he's helped me figure out some stuff via email too and generally seems friendly and whatnot.

https://console5.com/store/nes-6-ft-extension-cable-tomee-1.html

Perhaps a silly question but to extension cables like this introduce any kind of lag?
I use SFC controllers and the cables are so drat short, even sitting on the floor right in front of my CRT they are a pain in the rear end.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Only if you chain like 4 of them together, the controllers don't do complex signaling so it's pretty reliable for a small extension.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Only if you chain like 4 of them together, the controllers don't do complex signaling so it's pretty reliable for a small extension.

Even then it's not "lag" so much as the signal being distorted to the point of being unrecognizable by the console some of the time. (The biggest culprit there is going to be some loss of current at each junction and the increased resistance of the cable which might start getting long enough to actually be a factor at that point... and holy poo poo I'm actually using the electrical engineering crap I took an exam on this morning.)

Now, if you had 75000km long extension cord you'd actually notice lag, but then people get annoyed that you're using their space elevator as a controller extension cable and frankly it's not worth the hassle.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 7, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Even then it's not "lag" so much as the signal being distorted to the point of being unrecognizable by the console some of the time.

Now, if you had 75000km long extension cord you'd actually notice lag, but then people get annoyed that you're using their space elevator as a controller extension cable and frankly it's not worth the hassle.

Look at this loving amateur that isn't using fibre cable and soldered SFP's for their orbital SNES controller extension :rolleyes:. How else are you going to beat Contra III via video relay huh? :colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Even then it's not "lag" so much as the signal being distorted to the point of being unrecognizable by the console some of the time. (The biggest culprit there is going to be some loss of current at each junction and the increased resistance of the cable which might start getting long enough to actually be a factor at that point... and holy poo poo I'm actually using the electrical engineering crap I took an exam on this morning.)

https://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

WrathOfBlade posted:

Do you have roommates that could have drunkenly spilled on it?

My N64 had some mystery red liquid on it that caused the reset button to stick for over a decade before Monitor Burn sanded it down when they did the RGB mod. I think it was a college roommate spilling juice/koolaid/mixed drink on it because it was in our common area.

My OG NES had some yellowish smelly liquid stickiness on it. I cleaned it up but that didn't help the smell (it still worked fine). However, years later the smell went away and I finally opted to get it from my parent's house finally. I am thinking my cat had peed on it after she went senile before she was put down because it smelled like cat piss.

Who knows, maybe Nintendo consoles just leak mystery liquids.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The plastic is melted right? Seems like some nasty solvent got on it.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Random Stranger posted:

Haha...I'm basically wondering if an extension cable or one of the 8BitDO controllers would be better.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

This rules. loving sendmail.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

Do you have roommates that could have drunkenly spilled on it?

My N64 had some mystery red liquid on it that caused the reset button to stick for over a decade before Monitor Burn sanded it down when they did the RGB mod. I think it was a college roommate spilling juice/koolaid/mixed drink on it because it was in our common area.

My OG NES had some yellowish smelly liquid stickiness on it. I cleaned it up but that didn't help the smell (it still worked fine). However, years later the smell went away and I finally opted to get it from my parent's house finally. I am thinking my cat had peed on it after she went senile before she was put down because it smelled like cat piss.

Who knows, maybe Nintendo consoles just leak mystery liquids.

is it time to post ps4_cockroaches.jpg?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

is it time to post ps4_cockroaches.jpg?

I think you'll find that we prefer our consoles old and full of spiders.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

This is incredible

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Pegnose Pete posted:

Perhaps a silly question but to extension cables like this introduce any kind of lag?
I use SFC controllers and the cables are so drat short, even sitting on the floor right in front of my CRT they are a pain in the rear end.

I buy knock off Chinese cables on eBay for $2 shipped and they work fine. Got NES, SNES, and PCE ones so far. Sometimes a wire won't work, but drat, for $2 SHIPPED for two cables, it's not a big deal.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I know bootlegs are shittily built and useless if you have a flash cart but there’s something so enjoyable about slamming SUPER MARIO WORLD 64 into your Genesis and playing fifteen minutes of a terrible game you’d never otherwise consider. We actually just got this one yesterday and it kind of feels like what Super Mario’s Wacky worlds probably would have been if that got finished, with the weird sound effects, bad controls, and replacements for mechanics they didn’t feel like programming like the expanding lines of blocks in 1-3. The remade 1-3 is actually 1-2 in this game, and that’s as far as me or the wife could make it due to the death mushrooms that are exactly as fast as you and start following you instantly as soon as your jump crosses them.

d0s posted:

also why are these guys always happy to ship their atrocities freight but the people selling candy cabs (always in california) are strictly pickup only, gently caress yooooou. being on the east coast sucks balls

PM me and I can put you in touch with someone who can import you a candy and ship it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On a whim I bought a random N64 controller last night. It’s a wireless unit by a company called DOCS. There appear to be two different versions in the wild:

The left version, which has a standard looking n64 stick, and the right version, which has a GameCube looking stick.

I picked up the version on the right.

Anyone know about these? Oddly, the stick is clickable, leading me to believe it’s an off the shelf stick from another controller type, considering no n64 games can even take advantage of a clickable stick.