Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kavros posted:

Oh, oh, that poor dear. Oh no.

Oh that poor city. I couldn't even watch some of it. I could just imagine him reading the scripts for his performance a few days beforehand and trying to figure out how to make it work.

It did get us the most nationwide coverage we've probably ever gotten as a tech hub.

Also that whole pitch (including another video and supporting documents for the official forms) cost CEG and other organizations who contributed to it $100,000, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kavros posted:

Oh, oh, that poor dear. Oh no.

Oh that poor city. I couldn't even watch some of it. I could just imagine him reading the scripts for his performance a few days beforehand and trying to figure out how to make it work.

To be fair, his delivery was really good. It's not his fault the subject was ridiculous.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Curvature of Earth posted:

More amusing than any misguided claims that Silicon Valley is overrated are the many attempts at branding every random outcropping of the tech industry as Silicon [Whatever].

In Oregon, we have the "Silicon Forest", which even as an Oregonian I'm very ehhhhhh about. Any state with more than a couple million people is going to produce some tech companies, and they're naturally going to cluster around whatever the biggest population center is. It's nothing to write home about.

The attempt to label Eugene as the "Silicon Shire" is just embarrassing. You had one semiconductor factory, guys, and it closed a decade ago. The entire tech industry combined employs fewer people there than the University of Oregon. (Though I suppose "A Surprising Number of Homegrown Terrorists" wouldn't have been as appealing a nickname.)

The silicon forest is definitely questionable, but it's a hell of a lot better than most attempts. At least Oregon has a shitton of Intel jobs, had Tek, and still has all the high number of spin off companies from those two.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This 60 minutes piece of the sinking millennium tower in SF is amazing. Early Google employees losing millions in home value because they moved out out of fear it would collapse.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Makes me wonder what Millennial Tower would look like. Automatic Instagram tagging when you leave and enter? Fully customisable pronouns? Smashed avocados delivered by bespoke artisan drone?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Weatherman posted:

Makes me wonder what Millennial Tower would look like. Automatic Instagram tagging when you leave and enter? Fully customisable pronouns? Smashed avocados delivered by bespoke artisan drone?

This will be the elevator music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRe1nQg-6wc

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
silicone valley

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the old ceremony posted:

silicone valley

Reminds me of a cyberpunk story which I thought was in Mirroshades but turns out it isn't.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

the old ceremony posted:

silicone valley

That's just Hollywood.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Curvature of Earth posted:

That's just The San Fernando Valley.

ftfy

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

actionjackson posted:

Google employees losing millions in home value

*world's tiniest violin plays*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Weatherman posted:

Each unit comes with a free gig economy account with a half dozen apps! Borrow more than $700,000 and your condo comes with a zero hour contract with a "local" business.

*within 2 hours by BART

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Weatherman posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/13/16468396/airbnb-branded-apartment-building-florida

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Congrats, you've invented the hotel.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

Congrats, you've invented the hotel.

Timeshare.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Finally, all the hyper-vigilance and annoyances of living in a hotel combined with the asinine joy of lovely apartment landlords. It's peanut butter and chocolate in a universe where both taste horrible.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Weatherman posted:

Why do people always shove respect for people's pronouns into their lists of silly millenial excesses. What kind of broke brain puts "treat people how they want to be treated" in a list with avocado toast?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

the old ceremony posted:

silicone valley

that's my new tech startup disrupting the realdoll market

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Apple truly isn't storing its excess cash in a Caribbean tax shelter. No! It's an English Channel tax shelter.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

cis autodrag posted:

Why do people always shove respect for people's pronouns into their lists of silly millenial excesses. What kind of broke brain puts "treat people how they want to be treated" in a list with avocado toast?

Because xe/xir/*annoyed grunt* aren't actually pronouns, hth

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Weatherman posted:

Because xe/xir/*annoyed grunt* aren't actually pronouns, hth

This answers the question but not for the reason I think you intended

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

aware of dog posted:

This answers the question but not for the reason I think you intended

The real answer is that we can't even manage respect and fair treatment for the two "traditional" genders. Why would you expect the average person to suddenly be able to do it when you make the situation even more confusing for them?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The real answer is that we can't even manage respect and fair treatment for the two "traditional" genders. Why would you expect the average person to suddenly be able to do it when you make the situation even more confusing for them?
"We don't respect anybody now, so we're sure not going to respect anybody else more than that!"

It is not that drat hard to *try* to use somebody's pronouns. (Me, I suck at it, and I apologize profusely.) Most of the genderqueer people I know use "they", and the less familiar pronouns are out there farther on the probability curve. It's like if you talk to somebody and say "Hi, Charles!" and they say "Actually, I prefer Chaz", you manage to remember not to say Charles, or you try.

Saying "Well, I'm rude to everybody, so I'll be rude to you, too" is a rotten excuse.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"We don't respect anybody now, so we're sure not going to respect anybody else more than that!"

It is not that drat hard to *try* to use somebody's pronouns. (Me, I suck at it, and I apologize profusely.) Most of the genderqueer people I know use "they", and the less familiar pronouns are out there farther on the probability curve. It's like if you talk to somebody and say "Hi, Charles!" and they say "Actually, I prefer Chaz", you manage to remember not to say Charles, or you try.

Saying "Well, I'm rude to everybody, so I'll be rude to you, too" is a rotten excuse.

Yeah no poo poo. Tell that to ignorant boomers and hateful young conservatives.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where do you draw the line on things far outside cultural norms? My preferred pronoun is "bossman" by the way.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
If someone wants to use male or female pronouns then sure that's fine, I'll respect their choice.

I'll also be on board for adding a neutral set to the English language.

Until then I'm not going to memorise a new set of invented pronouns for every attack helicopter that I encounter. I can barely remember my own phone number sometimes

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Weatherman posted:

If someone wants to use male or female pronouns then sure that's fine, I'll respect their choice.

Until then I'm not going to memorise a new set of invented pronouns for every attack helicopter that I encounter. I can barely remember my own phone number sometimes

lol are you kidding me with this poo poo

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Weatherman posted:

This is a dumb take because I'm sure you use all sorts of modern invented language when it suits you. You are specifically choosing not to to accepting certain language out of protest.

Anyway, English already has a gender neutral pronoun set. 'They' has been used as a singular gender neutral pronoun for around 700 years. Doesn't mean we can't have new ones, though. Language, like gender, is fluid.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Fair enough. It's not a hill I'm prepared to die on so I'll accept yours as the last word.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Amazing how other people are the problem after you get called out, huh?

Newsflash: tech company thread full of assholes just like the content it follows.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
there aren't that many new pronouns. like people act like there are thousands of them but the only ones i've ever seen are the traditional gendered pronouns, they, and ze/zie/xe, which are all pronounced pretty much the same anyway (depending on your accent). so it's not a big deal. it's like, three new words to memorise. i thought goons were meant to be smart.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

aware of dog posted:

lol are you kidding me with this poo poo

Since I believe that things like gender or religion should be diluted into societal meaninglessness, I'd put down "attack helicopter" and "jedi" respectively :colbert:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I legitimately am not sure what time or day it is a not insignificant portion of the time and I make a good and mostly successful effort to use the correct pronouns for people. It's not that hard people.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
also goons behave like non-binary peeps are always incredibly hostile and abusive when defending their pronouns but i've never seen that happen? like not even once? in my experience pronoun reminders are always phrased in the most gentle non-confrontational "hey sorry to be a pest but i just wanted to mention" way possible (unless the person doing the misgendering is being incredibly, obviously deliberately rude and hostile) and it's usually the response to the correction that blows things out of control.

even in left-wing circles, alternative pronoun users get painted as this weird antisocial hyper-aggressive hivemind that roams the internet destroying other posters' lives for not saying "ze". it's carefully crafted propaganda aimed at discrediting the trans and non-binary communities, and it's based on lies and complete misinterpretations of events, helped along by the fact that nerds absolutely lose their poo poo at the slightest hint of criticism.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

T-man posted:

Amazing how other people are the problem after you get called out, huh?

Newsflash: tech company thread full of assholes just like the content it follows.

What exactly did I get called out for? He asked a question (why people won't do x) I answered a question (why people won't do x). Has nothing to do with my own beliefs. I gladly use whatever pronouns people prefer.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

the old ceremony posted:

also goons behave like non-binary peeps are always incredibly hostile and abusive when defending their pronouns but i've never seen that happen? like not even once? in my experience pronoun reminders are always phrased in the most gentle non-confrontational "hey sorry to be a pest but i just wanted to mention" way possible (unless the person doing the misgendering is being incredibly, obviously deliberately rude and hostile) and it's usually the response to the correction that blows things out of control.

even in left-wing circles, alternative pronoun users get painted as this weird antisocial hyper-aggressive hivemind that roams the internet destroying other posters' lives for not saying "ze". it's carefully crafted propaganda aimed at discrediting the trans and non-binary communities, and it's based on lies and complete misinterpretations of events, helped along by the fact that nerds absolutely lose their poo poo at the slightest hint of criticism.

It's the tumblr thing. Everyone thinks that the entire non-binary community are perfectly represented by the militant tumblr memes that have been floating around. It's extremely harmful but because there is so much infighting on the left (who is LGBT, who is oppressed, who doesn't count), these things never get corrected properly because half the left perpetuates it out of spite.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I've never met anyone in real life or online that even preferred they, let alone ze/zie/xe or anything else. But if I were asked to use those instead of he/she for somebody why not do it? It's not like English the way I learned it is some sacred relic or something, and it's exactly as cumbersome as remembering somebody's name. I'm pretty bad at names too and I just do my best to humbly apologize if I forget them. As for the 'cultural norms' argument, I wouldn't sneer in Aidyen's face and call him Danny or whatever, would you?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Hey, I'm an ignorant boomer, step off!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So how 'bout them Tim Cooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

What exactly did I get called out for? He asked a question (why people won't do x) I answered a question (why people won't do x). Has nothing to do with my own beliefs. I gladly use whatever pronouns people prefer.

Mayhap xe is just trolling you.