Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

I've been wearing my backpack on my bike so much that now when I ride without it, I feel like I'm missing some piece of safety equipment, wtf. I need a tank bag top box.

Top boxes change your life. I don't know how I lived without one all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd rather wear a backpack than have a hideous top box on the back of any bike. Come at me.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I'd rather wear a backpack than have a hideous top box on the back of any bike. Come at me.

After getting my KriegaR25 I'm right there with you. drat thing feels weightless and I actually get better air circulation over my back with it than without.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Look at all these fools that don't know what a pelican box is. Nobody is saying get a givi. We have standards.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD
I bought one of the Ogio Mach 3's and it fits most of what I need. I feel like a top box or saddlebags on a Yamaha R3 might be taking the utility of the bike a little far, and the Ogio backpack - while not exactly bulletproof - definitely brings a nice addition between my back and a tree / streetlight / etc.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I don't care how ugly it is, my big-rear end Givi top box can fit my helmet and my summer jacket all crushed up in there so I don't have to cart them around when I go out to a restaurant with friends or whatever. Utility trumps aesthetics.

Also I ride a new-gen V-Strom 1000. Judge me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coydog posted:

Look at all these fools that don't know what a pelican box is. Nobody is saying get a givi. We have standards.
I swapped out all my travel luggage for pelican cases. It's great, even if it looks a bit tacticlol.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My exhaust goes under the both seats, which makes most boxes a pain. I think there was some givi kit for my bike though, but I'm so inflexible I imagine that would complicate getting on and off. I added the standard CA skeleton again for October and I keep on getting it with my boots, some day I'm going to break him I'm sure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

My exhaust goes under the both seats, which makes most boxes a pain. I think there was some givi kit for my bike though, but I'm so inflexible I imagine that would complicate getting on and off. I added the standard CA skeleton again for October and I keep on getting it with my boots, some day I'm going to break him I'm sure.

I had a Givi top box on my multistrada which has undertail exhausts. Never had any issues with it. Top boxes are the best.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Top boxes need to but on slides like they do for car seats. Press a level and it slides forward to become a backrest. Have a passenger? Press the level the other way, slide top box back, and now your passenger has a backrest, and that passenger is your backrest.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trauma Tank posted:

I don't care how ugly it is, my big-rear end Givi top box can fit my helmet and my summer jacket all crushed up in there so I don't have to cart them around when I go out to a restaurant with friends or whatever. Utility trumps aesthetics.

Also I ride a new-gen V-Strom 1000. Judge me.

How's the kids? How many cargo shorts and leather sandals do to own?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Me too. Pulls double duty to keep my enormous balls from dragging when I dismount.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sorry about your elephantiasis.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Coredump posted:

Top boxes need to but on slides like they do for car seats. Press a level and it slides forward to become a backrest. Have a passenger? Press the level the other way, slide top box back, and now your passenger has a backrest, and that passenger is your backrest.

This sounds like something Buell would come up with, and I want it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Welp, walked out of the house warming and no motorbike. Let's see if the police ever find it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Keket posted:

Welp, walked out of the house warming and no motorbike. Let's see if the police ever find it.

That sucks. I’m sorry.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Keket posted:

poo poo, that sucks. Hopefully the insurance comes through.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

Where did you ditch yours?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Keket posted:

:( I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks so hard. gently caress thieves forever.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Nice

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Chichevache posted:

Mines a Honda though.

(Nice)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MomJeans420 posted:

I've been wearing my backpack on my bike so much that now when I ride without it, I feel like I'm missing some piece of safety equipment, wtf. I need a tank bag.

What are you a college student? Use your luggage. If you don't have a bike with luggage, time to upgrade.

Collateral Damage posted:

I swapped out all my travel luggage for pelican cases. It's great, even if it looks a bit tacticlol.

The bigger problem with them IMO was the weight. They added noticeable mass, even empty, to the Ulysses's rear end.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 1, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know what's more soul-draining - debugging async javascript unit tests your boss broke, or troubleshooting an italian bike.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

just stub your tests to make sure they call the right method with the right arguments, then unit test that async method separately imo

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am mocking the database and stubbing out the req and res and inlining an anonymous next but the mocked db calls in the middleware are still async. So the question remains.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'd have to look at it to be any additional help... good luck with your javascript tests haha

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I fixed it already but it really is like babysitting an Italian machine

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

clutchpuck posted:

I don't know what's more soul-draining - debugging async javascript unit tests your boss broke, or troubleshooting an italian bike.

Ducati Desmo? Oh loving hell no

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My bike doesn't exactly have the most comfortable ergonomics for high mileage cruising, the most I've done on it before was 75 miles each way. Wasn't too bad, but my traps were pretty tired by the time I got home (this was in horrible traffic and splitting lanes for the last 30 miles). Was thinking of a doing a ride on Saturday morning that's 130 miles each way - good idea, or horrible? I'll have time to take breaks, especially on the way home, where I'll probably be able to take a multi-hour break to split up the 130 mile ride home.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Depends on traffic, I could do 300 mile days on my R1 no problem, but if you get into traffic on a SS, you wear out fast and no amount of rest fully recovers you. Plus if you're moving at speed you can just lay down on the tank and let your feet chill on the passenger pegs, especially on slab.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Make sure you're absolutely comfortable before you set out. Even a seam in your pants digging into your skin can turn into jeep disease over 130 miles, especially if the bike is folding you into an uncomfortable position.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I encourage anyone who has a full day free for non-stop riding to test their limits. It's better to know what you are capable of and how far you can go before you find yourself in situations where you are considering stopping over night to get a hotel instead of continuing to push on when tired or stressed.

300 miles is a fair amount of riding (but still not a poo poo ton, IMO) for a super sport. I think you''ll be fine if your bike is a Daytona and you can ride anywhere for over an hour and do so often.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slide Hammer posted:

jeep disease

I googled this thinking it was some sort of dig against Wrangler owners, and boy was I surprised.

and MomJeans, I think you'll be fine doing that trip. It sounds like you've planned it out with enough time that you don't have to feel rushed, which has always helped me on longer trips.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

tjones posted:

I encourage anyone who has a full day free for non-stop riding to test their limits. It's better to know what you are capable of and how far you can go before you find yourself in situations where you are considering stopping over night to get a hotel instead of continuing to push on when tired or stressed.

300 miles is a fair amount of riding (but still not a poo poo ton, IMO) for a super sport. I think you''ll be fine if your bike is a Daytona and you can ride anywhere for over an hour and do so often.

Story time!

So... I wrecked my truck and had to buy a new one. I was perusing craigslist and found a replacement one [url=https://goo.gl/maps/AcmcFLZBFDD2]here[/u].
Only problem is I lived 6+ hours away in Virginia, and only had a motorcycle for transportation.

So, I called the dude. he said, "yeah $2500. it's in great shape, no rust, etc" so I planned to leave the next day at 4am so I could make it there and back in the same day. I was gonna ride up and load the bike into the truck and drive back.

Well the next day at 4am it was cold as gently caress and overcast. By the time I got to the beltway it was raining. When I got to Maryland it was raining hard and like 40 loving degrees. When I got to PA it was sleeting.
I had to stop for coffee and contemplate what the gently caress I was doing with my life.

I made good use of all of the hand dryers in the bathroom to try and dry my gear out.
Anywho... what should have been a 5 hour trip actually took me about 7 hours. 7 very painful hours of being wet, crouched, and near freezing. I was totally not prepared for it.

Here's the fun part though: when I got there, the truck was a loving mess. completely hosed. The entire interior was moldy, there was rust abso-loving-lutely everywhere, and the kicker is that there was an enormous hole in the bed of the truck from being rusted out. Not like "size of a fist, or grapefruit, or basketball" rust hole, either. The rust was so bad that there was only one mount actually holding the bed on the truck. The rest of it was fuckered and the big hole in the middle was about 2ft x 3ft. So even if he gave me this piece of poo poo for free I still wouldn't have been able to transport my bike back in it.

At this point it had stopped raining and I was starting to warm up. I had a good bit of energy left after yelling at the guy and was feeling pretty good about tossing his keys into the Ohio river so I decided to take the long way home.

The next 14ish hours were spent winding my way through PA -> MD -> WV and back and it was absolutely blissful.
I put almost 2000 miles on my bike in around 24 hours (I spent a lot of time going very fast)

By the way WV is full of bugs.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 7, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm surprised you didn't spend the night in jail. A month ago I and a friend drove 3 hours to look at a ninja that the owner assured me "nothing was hiding on and was in excellent condition" only to find it was an absolutely shitshow. Every little bit and piece on it was broken or rusted.

That these piece of poo poo idiots would think that you wouldn't notice, or that they could trick you into buying it anyway, is infuriating. I cannot understand how a person wouldn't feel terrible about putting someone through that trip for nothing, too.

I enjoyed your story, though, and am glad you salvaged a blissful ride back.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sounds like a plan, I'll go for my trip and if I get really tired I can probably find a massage place or something, or just chill and get lunch. And jeep disease was absolutely not what I was expecting O_o

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did you actually throw his keys in the river? If so that’s pretty good comeuppance

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did you actually throw his keys in the river? If so that’s pretty good comeuppance

Yeah. He asked me if I wanted to start it RIGHT AFTER I just finished yelling him about the giant loving hole where the bed should have been.
So I said "sure" took the keys, chucked them, flipped him the bird, hopped on my bike and left. Luckily my helmet was still locked to my bike because I would have been pretty pissed if I forgot that. It was definitely worth more than his whole truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah. He asked me if I wanted to start it RIGHT AFTER I just finished yelling him about the giant loving hole where the bed should have been.
So I said "sure" took the keys, chucked them, flipped him the bird, hopped on my bike and left. Luckily my helmet was still locked to my bike because I would have been pretty pissed if I forgot that. It was definitely worth more than his whole truck.

Link to ad for his truck, please.