Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hope it doesn’t, mel gibson is a sedevacantist

by the way what’s the difference between a sedevacantist and a protestant anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Makes me really wonder about the seminary in Denver, if it's pumping out priests of this type.

Air Force Academy?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
no i think the air force colorado springs stuff is a whole different right wing evangelical thing, but maybe

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Well they pale in comparison to Paul Ryan, who is (or was ca. 2012) the Perfect Manifestation of What a Catholic Should Sound Like, which is what prompted my reaction. The podcast after making that argument they described at length giving really politically conservative homilies in their liberal parishes and being happy that people walked out because it meant they were not real Catholics.
my priest never talks politics. i know he votes, but i don't know for whom because he's said he'll never answer. and i respect that and never ask.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I feel really lucky I have never had a pastor like that. I've certainly had a few who have made a point of emphasizing the catechism in its fullness, sometimes without couching it as an invitation to perfection none of us are actually capable of fulfilling and blah blah. But never have I had a pastor who dismissed someone walking out as if it meant they won a purity contest.

well as we have seen in the parable of the 99 sheep

jesus said, "lol bet that sheep wasn't even a real christian lmao seeya binch"

e: my diocesan podcast is just a bunch of boring dweebs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i hope it doesn’t, mel gibson is a sedevacantist

by the way what’s the difference between a sedevacantist and a protestant anyway?
the former believes there should be a pope but the current occupant doesn't meet the criteria. the latter doesn't believe there should be a pope.

edit: the orthodox believe there should be a pope, but he's doing it wrong

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My old pastor from Juneau has a bunch of his homilies recorded online, which is kind of like a podcast. I listen to them sometimes because he was just very very good. But he died in 2015, so there are no new ones.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
"A decent Catholic homily is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field."

--the bible, I guess

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Theology:

https://twitter.com/ItsDanSheehan/status/927701754833178627

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hm, another day, another anti-Nazi Orthodox saint I wasn't previously aware of.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

when I had an ant farm as a kid I didn't realize you are supposed to, like, purchase a queen or something so that they would all be nice and happy and form a colony inside the ant farm

instead I scraped a bunch of ants off of a tree outside and tossed them in there, whereupon they made it their sole purpose in life to try to get the hell out of that ant farm. there was plenty of food for them there but they just ignored it because they wanted to get out, so they all starved to death clasping the cage screen.

much like transhumanist bloggers

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That's quite a life story.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Went to the "Hamad Khalifa Civilization Centre" today, which is Copenhagens first great mosque. I gotta say, that is one of the pimpest temples I've ever seen. It had three kinds of toilets(?), fitness centres, a movie theatre, and, get this, a soundproofed kids room where they could throw down during prayer without distracting their moms.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Went to the "Hamad Khalifa Civilization Centre" today, which is Copenhagens first great mosque. I gotta say, that is one of the pimpest temples I've ever seen. It had three kinds of toilets(?), fitness centres, a movie theatre, and, get this, a soundproofed kids room where they could throw down during prayer without distracting their moms.
dude, that is probably a place to wash your hands and feet.

tell me you didn't piss in it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Islam is all about taking intentions into account, so Allah would not necessarily smite you for it, but yeah I hope you didn't pee in the foot thing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Guys I know I like to play up the unkempt savage thing, but I know a lot about islam and this was my tenth visit to a mosque. Of course I did not poo poo in the wudu :ughh:

No, the guide explained this way: they had a sage over from somewhere in the far east, and he didn't consider their toilets proper, so out of respect for the muliticulturalism inherent in Islam they got the hole in the ground kind added to the ones they already had.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

okay so that's two kinds what was number three

Tias
May 25, 2008

Come to think of it, she didn't tell me. A bidet, probably.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the secret toilet, the forbidden toilet

Tias
May 25, 2008

the toilet in my soul

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

German poop shelf

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Well they pale in comparison to Paul Ryan, who is (or was ca. 2012) the Perfect Manifestation of What a Catholic Should Sound Like, which is what prompted my reaction. The podcast after making that argument they described at length giving really politically conservative homilies in their liberal parishes and being happy that people walked out because it meant they were not real Catholics.

I feel really lucky I have never had a pastor like that. I've certainly had a few who have made a point of emphasizing the catechism in its fullness, sometimes without couching it as an invitation to perfection none of us are actually capable of fulfilling and blah blah. But never have I had a pastor who dismissed someone walking out as if it meant they won a purity contest.

Makes me really wonder about the seminary in Denver, if it's pumping out priests of this type. The podcast is done by a cohort of them who graduated from that seminary in approx 2010-2013 and are diocesan priests in Denver. Like maybe it's natural for people to be all jacked up on THE TRUTH after seminary and mellow over the years, or maybe this place has pictures of Mel Gibson on the walls or something.

Denver Seminary shits out a bunch of wacko Evangelicals too so I assume it's just Denver.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

P-Mack posted:

okay so that's two kinds what was number three

Denver apparently.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I lived next to RTS for a while.

Seminarians snorting 100% pure uncut Wayne Grudem all day every day

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
72 virgins is a mistranslation, it's actually 72 different modes of toilet waiting up there in heaven.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
pictured: muslim plumbing

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 13, 2018

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

CountFosco posted:

72 virgins is a mistranslation, it's actually 72 different modes of toilet waiting up there in heaven.

But if our bodies are in a state of incorruption, this means that we'd have no occasion to use any of them. Are you sure that this isn't hell?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Numerical Anxiety posted:

But if our bodies are in a state of incorruption, this means that we'd have no occasion to use any of them. Are you sure that this isn't hell?
Can you digest in a state of incorruption?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'd have to digest that fact that I = ded.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
GET YO VESTMENTS READY
https://twitter.com/helloalle/status/928266002227515393

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Aw yisss *starts collecting pre-v2 cardinal vestments*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Aw yisss *starts collecting pre-v2 cardinal vestments*

you don't already have a complete set in your house? smh metternich,
s
m
h

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

as someone who studies religion as a source for social change i don't disagree with the sentiment of this article, though i wonder if the religiosity of conservative republicans is open to these sorts of rebukes. often it seems the religion of conservatives seeks a sort of "apolitical" salvation of souls, especially those who believe in sola fide salvation, one that doesn't seek to address the wrongs of this world at all. while this "apolitical" religion is in fact political, especially because it often is used to justify the discrimination of lgbt people, the sort of white conservative christians who make up the bulk of republican politicians are unlikely to recognize it as such. their response to being asked what sort of fruit their vine is producing would be to condemn the politicizing of religion, and if they have a long enough memory to remember the short lived outrage at liberation theology when obama was elected they'd point to that and condemn any such requests that their prayer have fruit as communist propaganda.

at the end of the day asking legislators to be legislators and "naming and shaming" them for receiving donations from the NRA doesn't do much to promote sane gun control in this country, but i doubt the proposed method of appealing to religion's capacity for social change would have much of an effect either. you can't shame someone into growing a conscience. you need a conscience to feel shame

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I tend to agree with James Martin’s take, which is thinking is good if youre actually thinking about how to make things better, and praying is good if youre actually praying.

I dont think people would respond poorly to ‘thoughts and prayers’ if it wasnt so clearly a throwaway copout. If Paul Ryan like, spent a day in fasting and prayer over the murder of 26 people, it would probably be appreciated. Instead it’s thoughts and prayers, *fart*, welp how bout some tax cuts.

I don’t really think validating the inch-deep piousness of the right is going to do anything.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If Paul Ryan like, spent a day in fasting and prayer over the murder of 26 people, it would probably be appreciated.

On the other hand, if Paul Ryan was praying and fasting in the ways that Jesus said to, we would never know he was doing so.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
paul ryan's only god is ayn rand

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

On the other hand, if Paul Ryan was praying and fasting in the ways that Jesus said to, we would never know he was doing so.
After George Michael died, I learned that he'd given a lot of money away but in secret. That's the way to act, imo.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

After George Michael died, I learned that he'd given a lot of money away but in secret. That's the way to act, imo.

When I was in college I used to use sleight of hand techniques to put money in the collection basket without being noticed. (I know I am a massive nerd.) One of the priests either asked me about it or something but one of them found out and told me that as an underclassman people seeing me give was more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

When I was in college I used to use sleight of hand techniques to put money in the collection basket without being noticed. (I know I am a massive nerd.) One of the priests either asked me about it or something but one of them found out and told me that as an underclassman people seeing me give was more important.

I just make sure no-one can see how much exactly I give.

• Locked thread