Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Keepass has open source goodness going for it. Lots of plugins to tailor it to how you'd like it to perform or look. It only has to be complicated before you get all that set up. Free and awesome! It's what most of us used before 1password showed up.

Agilebits (1password) are active in the infosec community, helping to close published vulnerabilities and publishing those they haven't closed. Their one-time membership is done but their subscription service is not worthless either.

This is an ios thread so those two good recommendations are going to be argued against by idiots who just want the current sky conditions on their lockscreen to ~look pretty~ which also lets them know when their next haircut is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

This is an ios thread so those two good recommendations are going to be argued against by idiots who just want the current sky conditions on their lockscreen to ~look pretty~ which also lets them know when their next haircut is.

Hi I'm going to be that idiot: good UI/UX design is a good thing and downplaying that is dumb. The equivalent to the kitchen sink is not always the best choice for someone who doesn't need/want that level of flexibility, and apps that have sensible, attractive design are often more pleasant to use than the alternatives.

e: Dashlane.

\/\/\/\/
Don't tempt me.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 6, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I've got a very sexy looking post-it note pad for you.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
So there are a bunch of KeePass integration apps available on the app store. Which ones are recommended? It looks like KyPass has touch/FaceID integration which is obviously a slick addition.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Science Goy posted:

So there are a bunch of KeePass integration apps available on the app store. Which ones are recommended? It looks like KyPass has touch/FaceID integration which is obviously a slick addition.

I use minikeepass. It's not great, not bad. The dropbox integration is kinda wonky but that's because iOS is iOS.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

I put in 'easy to use', but then changed it to cross-platform because I figured there's some cheap, easy to use, and secure Linux option out there.

KneePass looks interesting though. Is there any reason not to use it as compared to LastPass if I need this on iOS, Mac, and Windows devices?

It takes a bit of effort to set up and being open source, apps can range from "bad and free" to "mediocre and like $5" and there's no cross-platform purchases or anything.

As it is, I use the official desktop app on Windows, KyPass on iOS, and MacPass on MacOS. Only KyPass costed money.

E: I tried MiniKeePass but it has a couple issues: 1) it doesn't automatically sync your library if you update a password or whatever and 2) it stopped syncing my library at all for no apparent reason. KyPass has been much better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe LastPass will take the extra $12 they're charging me this year and make it more secure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, the CEO is gonna buy himself another yacht or something.

Most of LastPass' issues coincide with being acquired by LogMeIn in 2015, a company with an atrocious approach to security. If you use their software you might as well spray paint your passwords on the side of your house.

nmk
Aug 3, 2009
I’ve moved everything over to Enpass and have been pretty happy so far. Free on windows, £10 on iOS one off purchase with no subscription. Syncs via whatever cloud storage service you want (supports all the big ones). The UI is basically a 1password clone too so it looks OK!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I like LastPass. :saddowns:

It works REALLY WELL. I know they had a couple security issues, but they were both resolved rather quickly, no? Repeating that one dude's two tweets forever it's really proving anything.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 6, 2017

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I switched to KeePass because I hate 1password's new subscription strategy (the only thing that would make it worse is if they somehow ~pivoted to video~) and it isn't nearly as painful as I remember!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ddogflex posted:

I like LastPass. :saddens:

It works REALLY WELL. I know they had a couple security issues, but they were both resolved rather quickly, no? Repeating that one dude's two tweets forever it's really proving anything.

It's not the issues that have been discovered and fixed that should bother you, it should be how many discovered but unannounced issues are out there. With security related software a couple small mistakes tend to be just the tip of the iceberg.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

xzzy posted:

It's not the issues that have been discovered and fixed that should bother you, it should be how many discovered but unannounced issues are out there. With security related software a couple small mistakes tend to be just the tip of the iceberg.

You're not wrong. I'm just so lazy. Switching apps would be such a pain in the rear end. This will be my downfall.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

xzzy posted:

Nah, the CEO is gonna buy himself another yacht or something.

Most of LastPass' issues coincide with being acquired by LogMeIn in 2015, a company with an atrocious approach to security. If you use their software you might as well spray paint your passwords on the side of your house.

If you spray paint your passwords on the side of your house people need to either see or find a picture of your house, making it slightly safer than LastPass.

ddogflex posted:

I like LastPass. :saddowns:

I'm just quoting this post to preserve it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks to this thread I downloaded and signed up for 1pass. I have to keep track of too many loving passwords for work and notes just isn't cutting it anymore.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

endlessmonotony posted:

If you spray paint your passwords on the side of your house people need to either see or find a picture of your house, making it slightly safer than LastPass.

I'm just quoting this post to preserve it.

So when exactly did passes leak fro LastPass? Never? Oh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
1Password family plan is pretty great for admining family members who are always forgetting master passwords etc.

Overall I would say 1Password is not cheap, but it is good value. It just works across all platforms!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ddogflex posted:

July 2016 apparently!

https://labs.detectify.com/2016/07/27/how-i-made-lastpass-give-me-all-your-passwords/

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ddogflex posted:

LastPass didn't kill my dog or anything, but people are absolutely going to keep pointing out LastPass' flaws and it's not because anyone has it out for them, it's because there's a reason to. If you need to keep justifying it to yourself, that's fine, but it's not going to turn anyone's response into "oh, it's okay, they couldn't decrypt the passwords."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One thing I wish that 1pass had was a reminder to change your password after X days.

I have like 4 systems at work that all need their passwords reset on different dates.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

But what's the easiest password manager for my mother to use? She'd need some way to sync between iOS and MacOS, and since I don't use a password manager, I don't have a recommendation for her.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Luceo posted:

But what's the easiest password manager for my mother to use? She'd need some way to sync between iOS and MacOS, and since I don't use a password manager, I don't have a recommendation for her.

iCloud Keychain?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

skull mask mcgee posted:

iCloud Keychain?

That could do it, I think. Can you pull a password out of it to enter into something that doesn't support it?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Luceo posted:

That could do it, I think. Can you pull a password out of it to enter into something that doesn't support it?

yeah, it does require going into the settings app though, at least on ios

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

yeah, it does require going into the settings app though, at least on ios

Still, it has to be an improvement over the memo book full of passwords that she keeps. I'll give it a try.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I use Bitwarden currently. It's been fine for now. It works similarly to 1Password pre-subscription era.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way, even a one time sync, to get my 1Password database into the built in iOS/iCloud one?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m the only idiot I know who uses Dashlane. I like Dashlane.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ddogflex posted:

See, your :iceburn: aside, the problems LastPass had were rather indicative that they were putting as little dev time into testing as humanly possible, and getting the patches out was way slower than it should have been when someone's already done the hard part of your job for you. The joke about a post-it note wasn't - post-it notes haven't had vulnerabilities broadcasting your passwords to every site that cares to ask. So it's actually worse than something technologically naive grandmothers do.

So at this point you're a guy who insists swiss cheese makes for a perfectly fine roof - you can say the holes are patched, and that ain't gonna stop us calling you an idiot.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks whoever was talking about 1Blocker. I was using Crystal and it did annoying poo poo sometimes when navigating back through pages in Safari (app unresponsive for 2-5 seconds.) Didn't realize it was Crystal causing this, at least I think it was.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I’m the only idiot I know who uses Dashlane. I like Dashlane.

Dashlane is good.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Lum_ posted:

I switched to KeePass because I hate 1password's new subscription strategy (the only thing that would make it worse is if they somehow ~pivoted to video~) and it isn't nearly as painful as I remember!

p much this

also, i still find that keepass is just generally nicer to work with than 1password anyway. i started using 1password because there wasn't a good keepass iOS client at the time, but there's always been dumb poo poo that they do a lot that's really annoying, like search only searching the last category you were looking in vs just searching everything by default, or the fact that their windows client development was totally half-hearted. keepass also runs portably, so you can keep it on a small usb drive for emergency use, whereas 1password requires installation.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
The only thing I don’t like about 1Password on iOS is the stupid unlock animations. They do nothing but add to the amount of time it takes to get what I need.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

duckfarts posted:

there's always been dumb poo poo that they do a lot that's really annoying, like search only searching the last category you were looking in vs just searching everything by default

Well, poo poo. I never noticed that because I'm always at the top level (I always just use search when I'm using the phone client). God drat that would bug the poo poo out of me if I used it that way (no sarcasm, I acknowledge people can use a thing different than me)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m looking for an app that will breakdown the storage of my iPhone and tell me what all this “other” data is. My computer is currently dead so I can’t use that for troubleshooting it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think apps are able to access that data.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zesty posted:

I’m looking for an app that will breakdown the storage of my iPhone and tell me what all this “other” data is. My computer is currently dead so I can’t use that for troubleshooting it.
As far as I know, no app should be able to read what that Other data is. Best you can do is Settings > General > iPhone Storage to see what apps are taking up how much space and work it out from there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’ve played around in there. The extra data from apps doesn’t add up to the many gigs the “other” category takes up.

I’ll continue to troubleshoot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zesty posted:

I’ve played around in there. The extra data from apps doesn’t add up to the many gigs the “other” category takes up.

I’ll continue to troubleshoot.

Is it actually causing issues?

My understanding is that a lot of it is app cache and temp files and if apps don't police themselves well it can grow. But I'm pretty sure iOS will grab from that if it needs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have any third party Twitter apps added the option to cut off long winded bullshit 280 character tweets with an ellipsis, with the ability to tap through to see the entire thing? I’m already tired of two tweets taking up my entire phone screen.