Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

I'd say Myst has aged better than basically every other video game.

nah that would be something like Super Mario World (or SM Galaxy for that matter)

i would however agree that Myst is no worse today than it ever was. it just wasn't ever very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

precision posted:

it just wasn't ever very good

What the gently caress

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I mean yeah Riven was better but come on

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Riven is art.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

:yeah:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

aaaaaaa they updated nuclear throne and the only thing i can tell that's different is they fixed moving enemies taking multiple frames of melee damage. goodbye instant big bandit kills..............

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

this game is just one frame every 10 seconds, but its a really good frame

La jetee is a good movie yeah

Edit: beaten by something relevant to games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

aaaaaaa they updated nuclear throne and the only thing i can tell that's different is they fixed moving enemies taking multiple frames of melee damage. goodbye instant big bandit kills..............

Whaaaaaaat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That was the most fun way to kill the throne too...RIP

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is it weird that I really loved horizon zero dawn but have absolutely no interest in the new DLC?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd say that's really weird, yeah. I'm champin at the bit over here

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nachos posted:

Is it weird that I really loved horizon zero dawn but have absolutely no interest in the new DLC?

nah, the reviews for it have been pretty lukewarm

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

That alien looks shockingly like Jiren from Dragon Ball Super, years before the character was even introduced

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

nachos posted:

I am this way with a ton of single-player campaign games, mainly because I just rent those but even those I own, I feel like I'm done with the campaign and then months later there's a bit too much inertia to return to it, even if I loved the game. That happened with Nioh and even with Bloodborne, I even bought the DLC for the latter on sale and still haven't gotten around to it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon is one of those rare games for me where I find pretty much every moment to be enjoyable, so I will probably enjoy more of this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon is one of those rare games for me where I find pretty much every moment to be enjoyable, so I will probably enjoy more of this.

Yep. Any excuse to fight some new things with Aloy is good enough for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If Aloy doesn't have a pet in the DLC, I might just get MonHun...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am this way with a ton of single-player campaign games, mainly because I just rent those but even those I own, I feel like I'm done with the campaign and then months later there's a bit too much inertia to return to it, even if I loved the game. That happened with Nioh and even with Bloodborne, I even bought the DLC for the latter on sale and still haven't gotten around to it

I went back to Bloodborne for the DLC, but I definitely felt that inertia with Nioh. The DLC looks pretty fun but, eh :shrug: I just kinda feel done with Nioh.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

nachos posted:

Nope.

I’ve learned not to buy dlc most of the time because I usually don’t enjoy it as much as the base game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Thanks, Cappy

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
If the DLC is already out by the time I get around to playing the game, yeah I might play it, if it comes out long after I've finished the game I'm most likely not going to come back and play it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I played a shitload of Fallout New Vegas but I only touched the dlc a few times.

I prefer dlc that expands the base game rather than story extensions.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Stop arguing about stupid poo poo and read the long locked Miiverse thread instead!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753707&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

I'd say Myst has aged better than basically every other video game. That's not to say the puzzles are great and intuitive but Myst conceptually is a picture hunt you move around in. Basically the entirety of the hidden object genre and the annual Nancy Drew games you've never heard of but sell well enough to justify their development owe their existence to Myst.

nancy drew games aren't like myst at all, and haven't been annual for several years because they switched to unity and the development costs of an engine change bankrupted the company

i have played several nancy drew games ama

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i played shadow at the water's edge because it was in japan and it was p good actually

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

i played shadow at the water's edge because it was in japan and it was p good actually

thats the one where nancy drew solves the mystery of the ghost from the grudge yeah

also notable:
alibi in ashes (nancy drew goes to jail)
silent spy (nancy drew stops bioterrorism)
curse of blackmoor manor (nancy drew game gets bad reviews for being too hard)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I played a Sherlock Holmes game once where there was a minor villain that wanted show dudes disembodied uteri so that they would become so grossed out that they would just turn gay and they would have gay sex instead.

The rest of the game was about Jack the Ripper.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mutata posted:

Stop arguing about stupid poo poo and read the long locked Miiverse thread instead!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753707&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Make sure to keep playing this on loop while you're reading it BTW.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I got kicked during a battle against a durambos while the fight was going quite well. :psyduck: I defeated it solo but what the heck? Pick up groups are so weird.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you probably just lost connection

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nachos posted:

I'm not all that excited, the trailer didn't do a lot for me and the new location seems pretty one-note. I mean, I'll probably still play it and all, but I'm not really super psyched.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

lets hang out posted:

you probably just lost connection

Nah the bottom screen says when you lose internet connection or some error bumps you off. If you're kicked, you don't get a message down there, just the generic upper screen message.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

but you can't be kicked mid-hunt

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

lets hang out posted:

but you can't be kicked mid-hunt

I decided to check, since I've seen folks say both ways!

I hosted locally and you're right, there's no option to boot from the start screen that I saw. There's no wireless submenu option. Maybe it's different on regular multiplayer, but I doubt it.

My connecting buddy did not get the top screen lost connection when I force quit the game. But when I've lost internet connection in the past, I've received that "lost connection" detailed bottom screen error message in addition to the generic upper screen message.

In conclusion: I was wrong. Now I have no idea what happened. Chaos reigns!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

nancy drew games aren't like myst at all, and haven't been annual for several years because they switched to unity and the development costs of an engine change bankrupted the company

i have played several nancy drew games ama

RIP Nancy Drew, at leas Sherlock Holmes remains a constant presence in video games that three people talk about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my job being literally next door to a Wendy's, sometimes i grab fries and a burger on the way home. in case you were wondering, their new "S'awesome Sauce" is literally a creamy Worcestershire Sauce. S'allright.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What we need more of is horseradish.

So tasty~

Should have that in videogames as a wakeup item.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

RIP Nancy Drew, at leas Sherlock Holmes remains a constant presence in video games that three people talk about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VaNJKjSENw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

What we need more of is horseradish.

So tasty~

Should have that in videogames as a wakeup item.

Horseradish is amazing. Horseradish mustard, doubly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

nah, the reviews for it have been pretty lukewarm

The reviews have mostly been 80s and 90s :confused: