Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow, you’re right. The 55” is also $50 cheaper at $1599.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

the good fax machine posted:

Costco will have the 55” LG for $1649 and the 65” for $2649 during November 17-27. I’d hoped it would be just a little bit lower, but I’ll probably bite.

That is tempting because it will be the first time I’ll probably see that 55 inch model in a physical store in that size at that price.

How low has the 55 inch OLED typically gone? I’ve seen Frys have it for $1300 I thin, but it was a mix of open box and display units.

Edit: saw some slick deals thread where a refurbished model is being sold pretty cheap

https://slickdeals.net/f/10730987-refurb-65-lg-oled65b7a-oled-4k-hdr-tv-1yr-ext-warranty-1999-or-55-1299-free-shipping#commentsBox

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 5, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got my 65” B7 for $2350 so they can be had for less than Costco.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What's the difference between the B7 and the C7?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

What's the difference between the B7 and the C7?

From rtings.com:

quote:

The B7P is a warehouse exclusive model, so the C7 is the mass market successor to the B6. There is also a new B7A version which is available via more traditional retailers. This version is similar to the C7P except for the stand and the tiny bezel which are black, and it is missing the Dolby Atmos compatibility.

Update: Some B7A owners are reporting that the TV does support Dolby Atmos via pass through. It seems the difference may only be in its capacity to play Dolby Atmos via internal speakers, as the B7A only have a 2.0 setup instead of a 2.2 setup for the B7P.

Update: There is also a B7V in Europe which is very similar to the B7A just with a different stand.

Edit: the picture quality on every 2017 LG OLED is identical; they only differ in things like mounts and speakers and whatnot. The LG and the Sony OLED are virtually identical as well; there are incredibly minor differences in HDR highlights and motion processing. LG makes the panels for both brands.

Variable 5 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 5, 2017

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Basically just redirect this thread to rtings.com is I guess where I’m going with this :v:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ok. So basically get the the LG OLED B/C7 if you can find it at a price you like? Otherwise get the Sony one or go cheap and get the TCL?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah pretty much. Newegg had the B7 65” for 2150.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Only other nuance is related to size. If you want cheap and >55" go Vizio M.

If you want greater >65", you pretty much need to go Vizio M or Sony unless you are an obscenely rich person.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Yeah pretty much. Newegg had the B7 65” for 2150.

A seller on NewEgg had it for $2150.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm in CA so I try to avoid newegg. Hooray for huge sales tax.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is the stuff in the OP about technologies still accurate at all? It's 4+ years old now. What's the best option for a ~48 inch flatscreen TV right now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whatever closest Vizio size or use a dart board. They don't really build quality or features into sets under 55" now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Probably the 49" 900E is the best you're going to get.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I am torn between these two sets and pretty much need someone to tell me which one to get. Reviews for both vary, pros and cons and of course no TV is perfect. Completely at a loss, but need to pull the trigger and get it done. The only clear advantage is that the Sony may be easier to sell in a year or so when I move country, thanks to the brand name. I know that the HDR in both is crap, but just wondering which one is better for general streaming, ps4 playing and movies.

Sony XE7073

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd55xe7073-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-cable-management-silver/p3254250

Hisense H55N6800

https://www.johnlewis.com/search?Ntt=hisense&Nty=1&_requestid=6942002

Cheers :)

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So what is the best penny pincher tv at around 55 inches? My dad bought into LCDs back when they were expensive and tubes were still being made (our old tv is one that was 1400$ for 32 inches).

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 6, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TCL P605/7

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Alright. I should probably try to see if it goes on sale on Black Friday right?

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
I'm not sure where best to put this but I figured I would ask here.

I am looking for a full motion wall mount. Is there anything in particular I need to look for or avoid. I was looking at this one. I am going to put a little 32" on it now but want to leave myself the option of going to 55" or 65".

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
What about this?:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...aAZgQ8wIIpwIwAQ

There are refurbished ones from TheExpressOutlet at around $330. Is getting one of those a bad idea?

For those not wanting to follow a link, Its a TCL 4k smart LED TV (120Hz). I figured it was the suggested brand, but was cheaper.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 6, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A local overstock/open box place of good repute has this 65" Vizio which, by the truncated description on the store listing page, seems to be a Vizio M65-D0. Good deal/TV, depending of course on condition?

(ed) Mostly for gaming in my case. Replacing a ~8 year old 50" plasma.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 6, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

thechosenone posted:

What about this?:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...aAZgQ8wIIpwIwAQ

There are refurbished ones from TheExpressOutlet at around $330. Is getting one of those a bad idea?

For those not wanting to follow a link, Its a TCL 4k smart LED TV (120Hz). I figured it was the suggested brand, but was cheaper.

I bought one of the low-end TCLs on a whim a month or two back. It was fine as a TV. Not great at anything, but what do you expect for the $400 I paid for it? Roku was pretty neat, especially the ability to stream audio from the built in apps to my phone. That was absolutely wonderful for watching TV at night.

It was a terrible computer monitor though, text looked like total poo poo no matter what settings I played with. I returned it because that was my main purpose, a large monitor that also worked as a TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's a pretty big difference between the lower end TCL TVs and the P605/7.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Does anyone have any experience with refurbished TVs from Sony specifically? Or refurbished TVs in general from any manufacturer? Mainly wondering if there are any big negatives about it.

A TV previously out of my price range (the Sony X900E which is highly recommended at many places including this thread), is currently available on the Sony Centre website, which is as far as I know direct from Sony, as a refurbished model for £850. Considering the X800E I was thinking about is about £630, I think I could stretch towards buying the X900E as it is such a big improvement.

The refurbished model does come with a years guarantee the same as if I'd bought a new TV and I imagine if there was a problem when it arrived (despite being just tested I suppose) I could get in touch with them again to sort it out.

Here it is on the website: https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-21861-sony-kd-49xe9005-kd49xe9005bua.aspx

I've not bought refurbished before but I think for such a discount I'll go for it especially as I think these sell out quite quickly, unless I'm heavily advised not to, as this is really my only chance to get a TV this good in specs.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Picked up my 65" OLED LG B7A. Love it. Along with a new HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver and an XBox One S for the 4k player.

I have lots to learn. Especially some good settings to use.

I am running the following:

Aventage A770 (Set top is HDMI 1, Xbox One S is HDMI 2, PS4 is HDMI 3. All 3 are HDCP.2.2 compliant. I am running that into my HDMI 2 on the set (Arc as well). I am finding that Netflix and Stranger Things looks a LOT better running through the Netflix App which sends audio back to the receiver, than using the Netflix app on the XBox One S. Any reasoning for this? Also, being as I am running this through my receiver and to one specific HDMI 2 input on my B7A, will it still save the settings per device? It doesn't seem to currently but I may just be confused. When I switch from my One S, to PS4, to Cable, I keep needing to recalibrate my settings.... Is that supposed to happen or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Also in research, turns out I want the B7A to always have at least Dynamic Contrast set to low, as this enables Active HDR - where as if it is set to none, it also deactivates Active HDR.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Utnayan posted:

Picked up my 65" OLED LG B7A. Love it. Along with a new HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver and an XBox One S for the 4k player.

I have lots to learn. Especially some good settings to use.

I am running the following:

Aventage A770 (Set top is HDMI 1, Xbox One S is HDMI 2, PS4 is HDMI 3. All 3 are HDCP.2.2 compliant. I am running that into my HDMI 2 on the set (Arc as well). I am finding that Netflix and Stranger Things looks a LOT better running through the Netflix App which sends audio back to the receiver, than using the Netflix app on the XBox One S. Any reasoning for this? Also, being as I am running this through my receiver and to one specific HDMI 2 input on my B7A, will it still save the settings per device? It doesn't seem to currently but I may just be confused. When I switch from my One S, to PS4, to Cable, I keep needing to recalibrate my settings.... Is that supposed to happen or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Also in research, turns out I want the B7A to always have at least Dynamic Contrast set to low, as this enables Active HDR - where as if it is set to none, it also deactivates Active HDR.

If you mean stranger things 2, it is a dolby vision title which works through the built in netflix app but not the bone.

Also yes, your settings will have to be adjusted if everything is sharing one hdmi on the tv.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Don Lapre posted:

If you mean stranger things 2, it is a dolby vision title which works through the built in netflix app but not the bone.

Also yes, your settings will have to be adjusted if everything is sharing one hdmi on the tv.

Ok. Basically the best way to go about it sounds like I should use one setting for HDR content, another setting for without, and then adjust my game modes for HDR and Non HDR, and it should save across the TV for whichever device I select rather than the input? Ex: I turn on my PS Pro. For a game with HDR, I go to my picture setting where I have calibrated Game-HDR, select that via the TV, and if I play Non-HDR games, select Game - Non HDR after I calibrate that as well? (Same for Netflix through the App on the LG set, and also my Xbox One, and Cable?)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been thinking about the same thing since I only use one HDMI input on my TV and I really don't want to be switching picture modes constantly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The apps on the LG set takes advantage of your TV in the best possible way. Use that for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

qirex posted:

I've been thinking about the same thing since I only use one HDMI input on my TV and I really don't want to be switching picture modes constantly.

Yeah ideally what would be great is if I can whittle that down to 4, as illustrated above, and only have a couple saved options per device on the set itself.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My receiver has two outs, so I plugged them both into my B7A, setup one for great picture, the other for gaming.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

GreenNight posted:

My receiver has two outs, so I plugged them both into my B7A, setup one for great picture, the other for gaming.

Which receiver? Both outputs are HDCP 2.2?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Which receiver? Both outputs are HDCP 2.2?

DENON AVR-S930H and yes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I just use the picture button on my harmony to switch between picture modes. It's not in the default profile but you can steal it from another LG TV by emailing support or using a second learning remote.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I decided to order that Refurbished TV I mentioned in my last post, and it arrived today! That's fast and good service.

However: it's broken. The entire top corner is showing a bunch of crack like lines and it's all black/non-functional there. I'm quite sad about this especially as I was worrying about it bring refurbished, but this was clearly damage from when it was packaged or during transit (even though it was probably the most securely packaged thing I've ever received).

I got in touch with the Sony centre and they're going to get it picked up within a couple of days then authorise a replacement to get sent out which I'm curious about because their website doesn't list any more of this refurbished model for sale currently. That did worry me before I got in touch because I do really want one of these and it would have sucked to get a refund and have to wait an unknown amount of time before I could order again.

I'm guessing with refurbished models they only list them for sale when they have a small number of them rather than whenever they have one or two, so they probably have a replacement for me that just finished getting through the system.

However I am paranoid about things (as you could tell from my endless posts in the thread, apologies) and now I'm quite worried in case there is some kind of issue with a replacement :(

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

RoboJoe posted:

I decided to order that Refurbished TV I mentioned in my last post, and it arrived today! That's fast and good service.

However: it's broken. The entire top corner is showing a bunch of crack like lines and it's all black/non-functional there. I'm quite sad about this especially as I was worrying about it bring refurbished, but this was clearly damage from when it was packaged or during transit (even though it was probably the most securely packaged thing I've ever received).

I got in touch with the Sony centre and they're going to get it picked up within a couple of days then authorise a replacement to get sent out which I'm curious about because their website doesn't list any more of this refurbished model for sale currently. That did worry me before I got in touch because I do really want one of these and it would have sucked to get a refund and have to wait an unknown amount of time before I could order again.

I'm guessing with refurbished models they only list them for sale when they have a small number of them rather than whenever they have one or two, so they probably have a replacement for me that just finished getting through the system.

However I am paranoid about things (as you could tell from my endless posts in the thread, apologies) and now I'm quite worried in case there is some kind of issue with a replacement :(

They've told you they're going to make it right. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a new TV instead. Just stay on their case and document the hell out of everything.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

wolrah posted:

my main purpose, a large monitor that also worked as a TV.

This is what I'm looking for right now, and I'd love to hear suggestions:
  • It's going to be hooked up (via a 25-foot hdmi cable) to the computer that runs Kodi and that I play games from.
  • Typically we are watching tv shows and movies. Action, horror, drama, etc. Sports really only during the Olympics?
  • Being able to play my computer games from the couch would be nice. Would span from high-graphic games like The Division to text-heavy like Crusader Kings and Dwarf Fortress and everything in between. Is burn-in still a thing I would need to worry about? :ohdear:
  • We don't need anything with speakers, good or bad, because we've already got a sound setup that we're happy with that we would use instead.
  • We have a Costco membership, and can drive to a Best Buy, Fred Meyers, or Wal-Mart. Shipping can will most likely be a huge pain because we live in Alaska.

Size-wise, we're looking about 36~48 inches I would say.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I️ ordered the LG OLED55B7A and god drat it why isn’t it Saturday?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is CA tax so stupid is my response. It adds over $100 to that deal. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Shipping can will most likely be a huge pain because we live in Alaska.

Amazon super saver shipping. It will take a couple weeks but it's still free shipping to Alaska. That was how I always ordered computer parts like cases when I lived up there. Just spent 4 years in Hawaii and the free shipping was a thing there too. If you have prime then you can get free or really cheap 2 (3) day shipping to Alaska.