Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah but there's over 50 on the checklist even before then - I have like 30 in this one. I haven't been trying to do everything in one pass but usually I can do better than this.

I did get a motor scooter parking one after driving it up some stairs which is pretty funny, doubly so given that I'm talking about a mario game.

I can think of at least two that appear in the original list of moons but are still postgame-locked in that kingdom alone, there's probably more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

cheetah7071 posted:

I can think of at least two that appear in the original list of moons but are still postgame-locked in that kingdom alone, there's probably more

Mmm, I guess there's precedent in that I'm pretty sure cloud kingdom only has one available from the two spots on the list, unless I get a moon for 100 points on goomba make-a-face. (Please no...)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Does anyone else hate the design of the broodals? they're genuinely ugly and unsettling and if they were in any other game I bet people would be agreeing wholeheartedly that they're terrible

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Does anyone else hate the design of the broodals? they're genuinely ugly and unsettling and if they were in any other game I bet people would be agreeing wholeheartedly that they're terrible

Nah they're fine, they sorta remind me of old cartoons with their exaggerated body shapes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They just look like rabbit Koopalings. They don't feel out of place at all in Mario to me.

Now Madame Broode and her..."proportions" did strike me as a bit odd.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Nah the Broodals and their rich mom rule, considering their origins, I'm okay with them looking a bit weird

My only problem is that i feel the green one and the blue one are a bit too similar

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love that they went with the rabbits on the moon mythology gag and it’s neat that they designed a wholly original miniboss squad. I like them.

I’m also a fan of the concept that they’re not really evil or anything, they’re just running a really bizarre business

Nina fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 6, 2017

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I like the broodals, their mom should've appeared more

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mmm, I guess there's precedent in that I'm pretty sure cloud kingdom only has one available from the two spots on the list, unless I get a moon for 100 points on goomba make-a-face. (Please no...)
You're safe.

Until postgame.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I keep finding new and more bullshit platforming sections. I can't tell whether this scares or excites me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Macaluso posted:

In the river there's a spot that has some coins around it on the ground, with a plant growing in the middle of them. Nearby there's one of those coin purse monsters that will drop coins for you as you walk but his attack will shoot coins and they will be removed from your actual coin count. You have to sit there at that plant and just shoot coins at it. Like multiple hundreds of your coins to make the plant slowly grow and eventually a moon will come out. It's dumb

Don't shoot coins. Stand directly on top of it and waggle. Much faster.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i started hating the look of the broodals but by the end of the game was totally fine with them being the weird new antagonist.

that said i enjoyed the bonneton hat-ghosts and the colony of moon rabbits way more. but generally i am okay with the broodals; someone pointed out that they have a really grotesque loony tunes vibe to them, and i agree with that. it matches the 'absolutely anything goes' visual aesthetic

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just glad to see new characters being made for big Mario games again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like the broodals accents.

Also, in this game about hats they're the only ones outside of Bowser and Mario who use hat based weaponry and that's fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Topper having the shape of an Easter egg makes me laugh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like the broodals accents.

Also, in this game about hats they're the only ones outside of Bowser and Mario who use hat based weaponry and that's fun.

The runners do too which threw me for a loop.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm just glad to see new characters being made for big Mario games again.

odyssey is a huge concentration of new characters, and kind of 'notable' new characters too. but how dare you forget about

http://mario.wikia.com/wiki/Conkdor

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

more like the six golden bongs mario you blazer

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just got teh Switch! Mario Odyssey called to me, I tried to hold out but it's Mario time. Four years since I got the Wii-U for 3D World, so seemed about proper timing.

And I can get weird Neo-Geo beat em ups! Not too shabby. I like the Pro Controller by the way. The game is downloading I look forward to rollin' around like Metroid Sonic.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Yea I thought they were pretty forgettable as characters and none of the fights were really that interesting or fun. The thing I liked most about them is they all have tricks you could use to end the fights faster.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BattleHamster posted:

Yea I thought they were pretty forgettable as characters and none of the fights were really that interesting or fun. The thing I liked most about them is they all have tricks you could use to end the fights faster.

Those tricks made the fights interesting and fun imo.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I enjoyed the Broodals, because they're all dressed in this Victorian-era turn of the century type clothes, which is cool, because you never see that kind of aesthetic in Japanese media.

Then when I found out it's also a reference to Japanese mythology as well makes them even cooler, because they're a fun amalgamation of culture.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Odyssey's more blantly honest take about local culture and cultural tourism in general is interesting. Buying and hording local souvenirs, wearing the clothes you like the best from different regions, a built in photo mode. It's interested in trying to capture the ways passing tourists think and interact (or don't think or interact) with the places they go, rather than the real world fantasy tourism other triple A games try do, like say Assassin's Creed does this year with Egypt. This isn't any indictment or passing of judgement, I just think Nintendo going all in on the Tourist Fantasy is an interesting idea

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

If you talk to the hint toad or the parrot, they'll tell you they're out of hints if you cannot get any more moons yet. They update as new moons are added.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dirk the Average posted:

If you talk to the hint toad or the parrot, they'll tell you they're out of hints if you cannot get any more moons yet. They update as new moons are added.

Wait....really? I figured they just didn't give hints on the harder ones....interesting. I've been doing better than I thought in that case.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Dirk the Average posted:

Not sure this is totally accurate, at least for the hint toad. He told me he didn't have any more hints for me when I only had 7/10 moons in the Ruined Kingdom.

e: spoilered the kingdom name just to be safe

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 7, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Broodals are cool I just wish their characterization was before post game this bit about Topper is great

quote:

You can tell how serious he is about a battle by the number of hats he has stacked up on his head; he doesn't tap into his full hat reserves except for the most dangerous opponents. So if you square off with him and he seems to be mostly hat, you should feel honored...and afraid.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arHXBSPcQBE

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Jump to the other platform before capturing it and you'll get there

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Broodals are a decent fit to the Mario canon since it's already incredibly loose and the idea of white rabbits also fits with the "Alice in Wonderland" aesthetic that Mario borrows heavily from.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Brain: Okay, we're going to use the pecking bird to go to the bottom of this tower, get the key, and climb up the tower. You understand how it works, it's actually fun, so let's get to it!
Fingers: :downs: Sure! You wanted me to move the thumbstick in mid-flight so that it's no longer facing the pecking wall, thus ensuring that the bird and Mario fall to their deaths, right? :downs:

(I got it after a few times, but man, my fingers are dumb.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Expect My Mom posted:

Odyssey's more blantly honest take about local culture and cultural tourism in general is interesting. Buying and hording local souvenirs, wearing the clothes you like the best from different regions, a built in photo mode. It's interested in trying to capture the ways passing tourists think and interact (or don't think or interact) with the places they go, rather than the real world fantasy tourism other triple A games try do, like say Assassin's Creed does this year with Egypt. This isn't any indictment or passing of judgement, I just think Nintendo going all in on the Tourist Fantasy is an interesting idea

I just had the biggest loving smile when I found the Jizo statue without a hat because come the gently caress on you knew what was gonna happen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

I'm hung up on two things: the scooterless level (I know I'll get it eventually)

This one's a tricky bastard. You need to get a rhythm of alternating between Triple and Long jumps to get through it. You also have to make absolutely sure you're not going to land at a point that hits with a wall. If you climb up a ledge, you're not gonna make the next P-Switch. (Oh and be aware there's a bonus Moon in the same place as the Scooter version).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Daveski posted:

Not sure this is totally accurate, at least for the hint toad. He told me he didn't have any more hints for me when I only had 7/10 moons in the Ruined Kingdom.

e: spoilered the kingdom name just to be safe

So far it has held true for me during the story on every world, after the story on every world, and through the post game on the first couple of worlds. I can't say it's true for everything, but if neither of the two hint NPCs give directions, you probably can't get anything until something changes.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
Finished the main game last weekend and I went back to collect a bunch of moons (up to 576). Finally decided to check out dark side and gently caress even more boss fights. They are the least fun part of the game for me and it just feels like a chore. The extra high moon jumps make the camera that much harder in the small areas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Atown posted:

Finished the main game last weekend and I went back to collect a bunch of moons (up to 576). Finally decided to check out dark side and gently caress even more boss fights. They are the least fun part of the game for me and it just feels like a chore. The extra high moon jumps make the camera that much harder in the small areas.

Use your shadow to figure out where you'll actually land. That's what it's for.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
can we at least agree that having the broodals is a million times better than using the koopalings yet again?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Peach is kinda a bitch. She basically abandons you on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean she tells everyone to get on and come with.

• Locked thread