Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Munkaboo posted:

Replace, sorry.

oh that's different. they made me return mine.
that's why i'm bitching about not getting a google home.

e: new page!

Speculation on how this whole Pixel thing is gonna play out? I have a feeling google is gonna just keep chugging along like they did with the first pixel. Prices aren't gonna drop for a year, all the major problems have already been revealed, and nothing is going to change from here on out until the next model.
I'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and get the Pixel 2.

It's too bad Samsung has such bad software because the s8 looks spectacular, apart from their terrible fingerprint reader.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Also it seems weird to me you need Camera 5.1 to get the nice bokah blur photos in portrait mode, yet you cant actually update to it manually... Looks like you have to wait for the app to update.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers. Last check my phone did was less than an hour ago and it wasn't up. How did you become aware of it becoming public?

Actually, never mind. They didn’t fix the WiFi. That’s probably why it’s not up everywhere yet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't Android One the program for selling super cheap phones to poor countries?

Do you think $400 is super cheap? The monthly security updates is part of the Android One feature set.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mu Zeta posted:

Looked up some reviews of the Moto X4 Android One model and people are saying that they are still on the September security patch and still running Nougat. So I don't think "Android One" means jack poo poo.

I wouldn't really put too much stock in that. I got my pixel 2 XL last Tuesday and have been on the September patch. Checking for updates did nothing. I just checked for the November patch and it popped up.

So yeah.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't Android One the program for selling super cheap phones to poor countries?

Also now for weirdos on Project FI

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

New display profiles are with the November patch for the 2XL along with dimming nav buttons.

https://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-2-xl-adds-boosted-and-saturated-display-profiles-latest-update

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Looks like the case I picked out with no reviews turned out to be pretty great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07474WTCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's too bad Samsung has such bad software because the s8 looks spectacular, apart from their terrible fingerprint reader.
I returned my Note 8 because the Samsung software scared me, the fingerprint sensor location annoyed me, and the curve edges pissed me off. Welp.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Front fingerprint sensor is the only thing that makes sense

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fingerprint sensor gesture navigation as well

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Nah, on the back brah

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Munkaboo posted:

Looks like the case I picked out with no reviews turned out to be pretty great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07474WTCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While mine is for an S8+, I absolutely love my Spigen Neo Hybrid Case. It's a solid case. And that Herringbone design for the TPU is really sleek looking and feels good in the hand.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Wrong, back middle

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bull3964 posted:

New display profiles are with the November patch for the 2XL along with dimming nav buttons.

https://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-2-xl-adds-boosted-and-saturated-display-profiles-latest-update

FYI, this has the same code in it from the 8.1 DP that breaks VPN use. Really, all private certificates - https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/68371442

Do not install if you want to use a VPN, Algo or otherwise!

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 7, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

back fingerprint cant be unlocked lying on a flat surface without lifting the phone which is unforgivable

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

the solution to fingerprint sensors is to inexplicably disable them... sony courage

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Blue Train posted:

Blue Train posted:

Fingerprint sensor gesture navigation as well

Hello, may I interest you in a Moto Z2 Force

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Installed the update on my Pixel 2 XL and the saturated setting really amps the colors up. I think I prefer the more natural look after using it for a couple weeks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rastor posted:

Hello, may I interest you in a Moto Z2 Force

moto4lyfe

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

wandler20 posted:

Installed the update on my Pixel 2 XL and the saturated setting really amps the colors up. I think I prefer the more natural look after using it for a couple weeks.

this was their plan all along :tinfoil:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They should allow rgb adjustments in dev settings theres no reason not to

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Flipped on the saturated color mode, and I like it. It makes the colors pop, and my eyes bleed.

I am a sinner android thread, and it feels good.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

More like shitrated

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The best thing that has ever happened in my already great life is the rear middle fingerprint sensor.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rear needs to be curved or have dimple for holding

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Google said the color profiles would be for Pixel 2 as well as 2 XL. Guess not. :/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maybe it'll come with 8.1. They were kinda forced to get this out quickly.

Edit: I'm seeing it elsewhere that they are in the normal Pixel 2 as well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 7, 2017

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Maybe it'll come with 8.1. They were kinda forced to get this out quickly.

Edit: I'm seeing it elsewhere that they are in the normal Pixel 2 as well.

Appa-- yeah, this is what I was about to post.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/06/pixel-2-xl-november-security-update-adds-promised-saturated-color-mode/#1

It MIGHT be unlocked Pixel 2s only and not the Verizon versions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm guessing a late addition to the build that have otherwise delayed the patch going through Verizon testing. I'm sure it will show up eventually.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Munkaboo posted:

Any chance you could post some pics of your phone in the case? I'm curious how bulky it looks/you feel it is. Are you using a glass screen protector as well?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

FistEnergy posted:

Nah, on the back brah

I honestly wonder why no one has gone with both.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I honestly wonder why no one has gone with both.

Time for the Motorola Backflip to make a comeback

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Why would you put the thumbprint scanner anywhere but on the front of the phone? My thumbs are always in front.

... yes, I have other fingers, how could that possibly be relevant?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Kinda sucks that those under-screen fingerprint sensors keep getting delayed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Blue Train posted:

back fingerprint cant be unlocked lying on a flat surface without lifting the phone which is unforgivable

I agree with you. My p9 has it on the back and is annoying to need to grab it. They fixed that on the P10 putting it on the front.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

Any chance you could post some pics of your phone in the case? I'm curious how bulky it looks/you feel it is. Are you using a glass screen protector as well?

Eh, I'm lazy. I will say it isnt terribly bulky considering it is a double layer case. I feel like if you are looking at a 2 layer case, then you are already accepting some bulk to the phone. The feel is awesome, the buttons are clicky. Would recommend. And no, no scree protector here.

Also, while I strongly dislike the blue shift, gently caress if it doesnt take amazing photos.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 7, 2017

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Between razer essential one plus pixel and Samsung I'm feeling a little more spoiled for choice now than I did when I put in my preorder for the p2xl.

I really hope the screen doesn't bug me enough to consider something else but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I do not trust that razer phone and buying first gen hardware is often a mistake